Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oh hey Reid Duke is using the G/R Devotion build. Good. I needed to figure out how to update it for Khans.

I kind of want to run a See the Unwritten in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

InterrupterJones posted:

Temples going up in price = never a better time to play Mono Red Sligh.

As expected, the lands still in standard go up and I'm so glad I have all mine.

Confluence is probably going up too.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Korak posted:

Fiend spotted. :siren:

SPEC PAYIN' OFF!

CAN'T LOSE!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

Shots fired!

This is about as funny as it gets, folks.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

Allegedly posted and then quickly deleted.

:allears:

I hope it's real. Call it Karma.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Steam Augury on the finals table! :siren:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Devor posted:

Narset is on the board and protected from crackling doom :siren:

:siren: DOUBLE STOKE THE FLAMES FOR MATCH POINT :siren:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

burntnorton posted:

Sarkhan wasn't a miss, had that not been lethal he could have played it post-combat.

Narset seems a lot better than I give her credit for now.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This semifinals match is hilarious.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So what deck is running Monastery Swiftspear anyway? Is it burn?

I'm betting it's burn.

BJPaskoff posted:

Time to stock up on foil Treasure Cruises and Monastery Swiftspears and sit on them for three years!

Too late. :argh:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 29, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Soon to be known as Izzet Delver based on SCG moving over to "Shardless Sultai" and "Sultai Delver".

I don't know why that's an issue but okay.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

OssiansFolly posted:

I am happy I opened a playset of misprints of this card. I think the printers hosed up a couple sheets on these so my prints are more Orange than Red.

I ended up with a few Blue cards that were more Teal as well.

I was heavily considering buying a few foil playsets for legacy burn.

Now I regret I didn't :eng99:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm a modern player and I do want those cards in the format sooo

I too wish to have my Wurmcoils played on tron mana and backed by countermagic to get completely stuffed by FoW, Daze.

That sounds very fun and would totally not destroy Tron as a deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Or the presence of wasteland would let you run the much better 16 post because that being banned with a ready answer would be dumb?

Ah yes the age old question of why play that lovely deck when you can play this much better deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Tron could side in summoner's trap or cavern of souls to deal with fow. Wouldn't be a big deal if they fow your expedition map or something.

Does GR Tron run creatures of the same type? I don't see how blue tron would benefit from Cavern of Souls over making one of five creature types uncounterable.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Because all it takes is resolving one Sundering Titan to utterly wreck your opponent.

And aren't you talking about Mono-Blue Tron? Wouldn't that deck love a counterspell that was live as early as turn 0?

I mean it would allow me to turn 2 crack map but I'm more concerned about other blue decks going to town with it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Froghammer posted:

It's nice to see Pain Seer actually seeing some use :unsmith:

I'm fairly certain it's been played on Mono Black Aggro for a while now. But yeah, I'm glad Bob's Little Brother is seeing use too :)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

Haha, Time Spiral (block) was nuts.

Straight into the Nekusar/Narset decks. Thanks for reminding me this existed!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

God drat I've got the biggest grin on my face right now.

Place 8th in a Tuesday standard, game 1 I mana screw after going to 6 and keeping a one lander on the play with 4 2 drops in hand as Mono Red "Control". Auto scoop after 3 turns of no lands.

Game 2 I get what is probably one of the best games of Magic I've played. Good trades. We both have lands, we're both on curve. I got to Ultimate Sarkhan and then play another one. My opponent, a good friend of mine and probably a better player than me, read the emblem wrong, and his reaction to it being essentially being "At the beginning of your upkeep, Recall, at the end of your turn, pitch." was priceless.

I wound up losing 0-2 but it was still fun, got 10 bucks in store cred, bought a draft set of Khans.

Bloodstained Mire, Icy Blast, Wooded Foothills. :dance:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cernunnos posted:

I love that my brother traded a guy his Wingmate Roc for a Mantis Rider, a pair of Clash Pack Promo Prophets, and a handful of other things. I can't wait for it to fall so I can see him get burned on that deal. It's totally gonna hold at $10 guys. :v:

I mean, I like the clash pack prophets too.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

JerryLee posted:

Well, at least you basically got the best-case scenario out of that situation, namely a foil fetch (I guess it could have been a blue fetch but whatever).

Now never do it again. :colbert:

Are you telling me to do it again?

Because I know several people who have opened more than three boxes of Khans.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

logis posted:

On opening boxes for cards, which I don't recommend:

Once upon a time, there was a set called Planar Chaos that just released. In the set, there was the shifted Wrath of God, namely Damnation. Yours truly wanted one; however, he wanted 1. A Japanese one. 2. If possible, a foil one.

So he bought a box of Japanese (80-100$ or whatever it cost at the time). He picked it up on the way to work, sat in the parking lot, and decided to open a couple of packs to see what happened.

Pack 1: Blank. Nothing. Ok, re-roll
Pack 2: Foil, Japanese, Damnation. Seeing that, he shook his head and went to work.

So you sold the rest of those, right?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Madmarker posted:

Epser
Skimik
PALookratos

though one mispronunciation I actually like is Shindig of Tithes

Is it really that difficult to say Po-lu-kranos? Really?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Can we get Mispronouncing Polukranos on the bingo card?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

They actually did increase the number of Uncommons in each set with M15, so your odds of opening a particular one in a given pack are slightly lower. $3.99 for an in-print uncommon is still stupid though.

I mean I have like 6 extras so I'm not complaining.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The Lord of Hats posted:

While it is funny how people flip out over it (and kind of annoying because some podcasts can't get over telling you how much they hate the names), I do hope that they allow more descriptive deck names than COLORS (AGGRO:TEMPO:MIDRANGE:CONTROL), because otherwise deck names are gonna get really, really samey, really really fast.

I'm really trying to push RUG Walkers as "Frontier Walkers"
It's not working. :sigh:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

On the subject of Phoenixes, I wonder if Flame-Wreathed Phoenix is going to be any good now that theres less unconditional removal.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sotar posted:

I find it funny that on reddit there is a number of threads in the MTG subreddit that is basically "OMG I GOT A MISCUT COMMON! HOW RICH AM I?!?!"

But my miscut TREASURE CRUISE!!!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Korak posted:

One of the pros was saying that some of those 'bad' cards might actually be playable now. I do hope everyone takes another look at Theros block cards and reevaluates them in a format without many 2 mana removal spells.

I'm currently looking at 4 drop red creatures to run in my mono red 'control' shell.

Basically it uses magma jet/lightning strike/stoke/sarkhan -3 as removal and stormbreath and ember swallower as finishers. Yeah. Ember Swallower.

It's currently also running Generator Servant as a method of slamming Sarkhan/Stormbreath on turn 3 and demanding an answer right there. Rabblemaster is in there as a means of making constant threats/taking advantage of the 2/3 damage spells becoming 3/4 if my opponents impulsively block the tokens.

Chandra does real work by just letting me filter my deck to the gas, letting Rabblemaster sneak through, but other than her, turn 4, is pretty empty. Besides again 4/5 Bigbutt that becomes large and eats 6 lands.

I'm considering taking out two of them for Ashcloud/Flame-Wreathed Phoenix to give the deck a more durable threat.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Yawgmoth posted:

t1: mountain, suspend Shivan Sand-Mage
t2: island, Jhoira's Timebug
t3: land, Jhoira
t4: land, suspend Emrakul, pop counter off SSM with bug. SSM comes in and eats 2 counters off Big E, then play Fury Charm to eat the other 2.

So what happens if your Sand Mage gets countered?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chorocojo posted:

Yeah, that loving happens.

:smuggo:

:stonk:

But yeah hey isn't it nice to know that wizard's hasn't learned that books ain't their thang?

The Theros eBook series is horrid, and recent!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Is it normal for someone to feel uncomfortable at an IQ?

because everyone here seems really angry

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

People at IQ's want to win. That means all other decks are bullshit and everybody is topping what they need against them. IQ's draw the worst.

I'm 2-0, and both my opponents are pissed off at their and my deck.

Both opponents were Sultai Delve, I'm playing Big Red with 3 maindeck Angers and 1 in the side.

I'd say that's more of a natural occurance and not "your deck is bullshit".

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BXCX posted:

Pucatrade owns, I've sent out 542 cards and received 416. Highlights include receiving a Gaea's Cradle and Judge Umezawa's Jitte, all for the low low price of tons of stamps and constant :f5:ing. It can be hellaciously grindy waiting for trades to pop up so make sure you put in as much of your collection as you can stand. When I started out I was willing to send out any trade that would net me more points than the value of a stamp, but that gets old quickly so my personal minimum has crept up to ~250 points unless something pops up for someone I know or have good trades with before.

I do basically zero unplanned in person trades anymore because pucatrade is so much less of a hassle in the age of #mtgfinance and traders wanting value balanced out to the nearest nickel based on tcg mid or asking for ridiculous throw ins so they can "win" the trade. It's also made events much more enjoyable not lugging around binders and/or worrying that they're going to be stolen.

Is there a way to see the amount of points you get in for trading in? I'm not seeing it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Siege Rhino's lifegain is incredibly relevant since the format has so many fast, threat-dense aggro decks. In an environment where people are Lightning Striking your face, Rhino is often a 3-for-1 or better.

I hate Siege Rhino.

The card by itself makes my Big Red deck fold immediately. Its out of range of stoke, sarkhan minus, anger. I need to blow 2 cards on it or a 4 damage thing plus Chandra plus.

That card gives me really disgusting feelbads and is literally the reason my deck 0-2s against Abzan Midrange.

At least the Rhino type has a playable type that isn't on a Loxodon, I guess.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Brownhat posted:

Somebody forgot that Fated Conflagration exists.

I did. I could've ran it instead of magma spray like an idiot.

I honestly expected more 2 toughness creatures with people running less midrange and more aggro, I tried to make a metacall and have the cheap affordable 3/2 Spray/Searing Blood package.

5 is a number I was not expecting, and it showed when I went undefeated in my first three rounds at the IQ when I ran into double BUG Delve decks and Jeskai Aggro.

And then immediately got blown out by Abzan Midrange, and then lost to Jeskai Control

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If it happens people will make their complaints about blue, despite it being some grudging afterthought of a color in that deck.

No see they'll bitch about the red and it being mindless turning men sideways and relying on lucky topdecks to win

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Well I sold all my rabblemasters when they hit 10 ish but one of my team mates just cashed out. I think we're still sitting on 500 or so...

:catstare:

Jesus Christ.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

LMAO Glittering Wish is 18 bucks low on TCG player. It was 1.95 a week ago.

DAMMIT! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

This is all true, and I think the G/x matchups are pretty dependant on hitting answers on time for both sides. I don't think it's accurate for people to say that aggro is suddenly bad though. It's a fun and fast deck that got a few really fun new sideboard cards, and is way more affordable for players who cant buy in to the new manabases.

That said, I will be trying a mardu walkers control deck this week that currently costs more than any of my modern decks. Standard can be pretty stupid.

I mean doesn't new standard hype always do this?

• Locked thread