Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ramos posted:

Jeskai Tempo wins off of one life. Man, I definitely want to try out some of these lists, many of them are such a step away from what we're used to.

both sides of the table were misplaying like crazy that match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
:vince: :vince: THAT NARSET :vince: :vince:

that sound you here is narset doubling in value

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

superstepa posted:

Do you guys think that a Mono-red burn with prowess creatures can be a thing?
It sounds like it could work, you can have something like:
T1:Monastery Swiftspear
T2-T99: Burn while beating face with grown swiftspear

there is too much good burn in colors besides red to make a mono red build viable

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Cactrot posted:

I can't believe they're up to nearly 20 bucks now, I kinda feel like I should dump mine for fetches and play a non-rabblemaster deck.

i'm also certain this is boros reckoner part 2, and they will never drop in price just to spite me.

hell I was super salty that I dropped 20 dollars to buy two last sunday from a shop that charges low on singles. I recognized i was getting a great deal and just hate spending cash of singles.

but that was before they jumped in price this much...

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Entropic posted:

I can't see Wingmate Roc commanding too high a price either.

I honestly kind of think that card is terrible, at least in the abzan midrange deck. You have to contort yourself like crazy to trigger it in a deck with mostly 4 and 5 drops, and it being a stone blank against stormbreath sure doesnt help matters.

I will give that it gets around elspeth, but elspeth is getting hated out by this format as it stands. If there is aggro-midrange deck thats base white then I like it, but its place is a curve topper, not a value play.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
what do you guys think the value of prerelease promos of playable cards will settle at?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
one of my friends puts their graveyard and their library on opposite sides of the playmat. that's a pretty interesting arrangement i have to say

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
apparently like half of the magic artist community lives near me. I'm friends/acquaintances with the guy who was the model for Village Bell Ringer back in Innistrad.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 11, 2014

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
holliday needs to learn to press F2

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 3, 2014

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

First Bass posted:

Pretty much this. Wizards has a history of a "throw out the baby, keep the bathwater" approach to banning.

except for necropotence :v:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

In a world where Anger of the Gods is common and the quality of durdles is so low, I doubt it.

Plus I don't like a win condition of going off and pumping a bunch of dudes that can get chumped. Presumably you could cram in Nylea or Archetype of Anger, or maybe some Messenger Speed. Are there any better overrun type things that might actually fit in that deck?

if you go off, you'll bounce every nonland permanent they control, so chumpers don't matter. controlling decks are also less of an issue, since they can't put a clock on you quickly.

the deck's worst nightmare is aggro, and aggro seems to be dying a screaming death right now.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Jabor posted:

Stratus Walk seems like the better answer to chump blockers, given that the only flying creature that would generally be staying back to block your guys is Mantis Rider (and you probably have more than one mana dork to attack with if you're actually going off).

???

Ok do you guys not get that you get infinite mana, and infinite untaps, with two dorks and 4 Ascendancies in play? So you go off, draw your deck, play all your Ascendencies, bounce an ascendancy an arbitrary amount of times, retraction helix all their guys with your extra untaps.

then you play all the mana dorks in your deck and twinflame them all. they're dead. chump blockers do not exist for this deck

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

That's the Modern version, not Standard. When's the next big Modern event, like a GP or PT? I figure we'll see a lot of Jeskai Ascendancy in the top 8.

still, the standard version did finish 11th at indiannapolis, which aint nothing. It's probably worth playing in a devotion/slow midrange heavy meta

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I've been testing a BW Control list pretty similar to the one that top 16ed the Indiannapolis Open. It has a slightly favorable matchup against mardu midrange, a better matchup against Abzan midrange, and Green devotion variants are a bye. didn't test enough with monsters to judge that.

if the meta becomes Midrange: The Durdling, this deck is positioned to wreck face.

e: also went 2-0-1 in draft and split for 30 in store credit, spent it all on prerelease seeded packs that were going for $2 a pop. walked away with a promo dig through time, jeskai ascendancy, butcher, and bloodsoaked champion amongst other things, as well as a shitload of trilands and charms.

value was insane

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 4, 2014

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
is Jeff Grubb still doing nerd tie-in novels? If so, chain him inside Creative and force him to do all the writing from now on

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

superstepa posted:

How much would a promo Jeskai Ascendancy go for now? I know promos aren't usually worth that much but Khans promos were semi-randomized so that might bump their prices up a bit right?

Websites like scg list it for $3 but they are all out of stock and tcgplayer lists it for $15+

check ebay completed sales for a ballpark price. TCGplayer has so few sellers that its basically worthless beyond "this card is worth more than two dollars."

Alternatively, you should hold onto that ascendancy until the modern combo deck crushes a major event and then laugh your way to the bank (before it gets banned)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

tirinal posted:

I just got to villainous wealth for 11 and still lost in three turns. This game is strange sometimes.

unbelievable whiff? or were you being beat down with flyers?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
jesus christ.

On saturday i was helping my friend crack a box (playing the rare game) and he manages to snag a foil delta. He was pretty pumped after that, obviously. He got a sorin and 3 other fetches as well as decent poo poo in it.

on sunday i went to draft and got a foil delta in my second pack. I think i actually went on tilt for the rest of the draft and the games. played like absolute poo poo. Is positive tilt a thing?

Anyway, looking on tcgplayer the foil is going for 80 bucks currently. my friends tell me to throw it in a safe deposit box and forget about it for a few years. I'm not an idiot so obviously i know it will go up eventually, but what time frame are we talking, and what will it top out at?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

OssiansFolly posted:

Eh if you play the game trade that Foil in for 3-4 of non-foil now. This is probably the best call when you open a foil so close after release...

If you expect this to be a $500 card in 2 years I think most will agree that you are silly and your friend is equally silly.

Blitz Hellion and Massacre are probably good starting points.

ok cmon i know this isn't going to be insane money, foil new thoughtseize is what, 60 bucks?
legacy players love foils but hate new versions of old cards.

Actually thoughtseize might be a good model to follow.

ok I checked the foil price history of the theros foil and its really loving weird. Right after release it dropped from 50 to 30 and then chilled around there until decemberish when it rose kinda sharply to 40ish. Stayed there till september, where it loving rocketed to 80 bucks practically overnight.

What the hell is that? Packs of Theros weren't being opened since M15, but even if I allow for the price spike for the new set, almost doubling in price makes no loving sense to me, regardless of the card.

It's recent, so could it be an attempt at price fixing?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
if anyone actually cares about that price tracking on foils i did earlier it seems that pretty much all foils of eternal playables spike like crazy when the new fall block is released. If this pattern holds for the delta, then it could easily end up at 120$ or more. In fact, this pattern seems to make it trivially correct to hold on to any foil fetches one can acquire, as they are very likely increase in value by at least 60% in only a year.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

While this might be true, the real reason the foils own is because all of them besides polluted delta actually look good. Much better than the lame originals. The flooded strand even has a kawaii dry-bones in it!

cant argue with this logic. also in further MODO is a piece of poo poo news, apparently you can't use glittering wish to get wear//tear because its a mono-colored card.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
man reading the MTGS (I know, big mistake) banlist discussion about ascendancy its loving hilarious how much some players turn into giant loving babies at the mere prospect of combo.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
honestly pearl lake ancient is really good for limited if you have the sort of deck that can gum up the ground for days with big dumb idiots and removal.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
eh, deathrite irrevocably changed legacy, some cards just do that. instead of reaching for the ban hammer, might as well accept it and try to adapt.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Someone build this and name it Nega-Wave

cmon man this is easy poo poo. Nemesis Wave.

also the wave seems pretty good in a control-style deck as a one-of finisher. Of course with control being as bad as it is right now...

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
on modo especially i would presume that he would go down, especially this early on with relatively few khans packs opened

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Boco_T posted:

Reid trolling on camera taking the Mind Rot over Rush of Battle when he has two Warrior lords.

makes sense, rush of battle tables super loving late.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
to the surprise of no one, wizard's twitch channel is broadcasted by morons who dont know how to use audio or video equipment

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

qbert posted:

Basically the only way Dezani's deck loses is to mana screwkeeping a terrible hand.

Which is exactly what's happening to him.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
dezani is kind of playing like poo poo. also i'm not sure if he's getting unlucky but he doesnt seem to have enough early plays

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
dezani succeeds in grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

"I'll just make an unnecessary gamble that leaves me dead to a creature with haste... Oh, it's a Mantis Rider."

he was dead to an efreet flip without the mantis rider. and he had to choose between flipping his 4/4 or adding a 6/4.

is there a term for tanking for minutes then making the exact wrong play?

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 10, 2014

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

qbert posted:

I think the difference was he already killed another Weaponmaster Game 2, so he assumed it was unlikely his opponent would have a 2nd one in his deck.

if he assumed that then he is pretty bad at khans limited. Jeskai decks loving love that 4/3

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

It's a 3-colour common. It's not like Dezani needed to save the Witness, since casting Avalanche Tusker was the correct play against every card in the format except End Hostilities.

seriously, even in the abstract, would you pay 5 mana to save a 2/2 or pay 6 to add a 6/4 to the board?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
ahahaha flips over the entire library. In your face Angry Grimace the stupid combo deck is playable!

request: make the deck's name Jeskai Tide

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Harmonica posted:

When should I cash in on my JA foil? If parts of the combo get banned then that tanks the price, right?

wait till it crushes a modern event, the drop it

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
jesus christ dig through time in loving aggro decks

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
:stonk:

Dig through Time's lowest price on tcgplayer is $18.

:stonk:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
^^^^it's selling on ebay for 35 apiece

e2: muthafucka i ain't telling you poo poo

my store is selling the sultai seeded boosters for 3 dollars apiece.

....I think I need to get up early tomorrow

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Samael posted:

Does anyone have LSV's decklist for the standard section of the Pro Tour?

i dont think we get lists till day 3

• Locked thread