Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Has anyone else noticed that Mardu is sticking better than the other clan names, since it didn't have well-established names before?

quote:

:eng101: All right, listen up y'all. I'm y'all's Standard format, Khans of Tarkir. I brewed decks for twenty years in Shards of Alara, so don't even think about messing with me. Y'all feel me? Let's take roll here.

Junk? Where's Junk at? No Junk here?

:raise: Do you mean Abzan?

:eng101: OK, so that's how it's gonna be. Y'all wanna play. OK then. I got my eye on you, Junk.

BUG. Where is BUG at? No BUG here today? Yes, sir?

:shrug: My name is Sultai...

:eng99: Are you out of yo goddamn mind? Sultai? What? Do you want to go to war, BUG? 'Cause we could go to war. I'm for real. I'm for real. So you better check yourself.

RUG. Is there a RUG? If one of y'all says some silly-rear end name, this whole class is gonna feel my wrath. Now, RUG.

;-* Do you mean Temur?

:engleft: Son of a bitch! You say your name right, right now.

;-* Temur.

:engleft: Say it right.

;-* Temur.

:engleft: Correctly.

;-* Temur.

:engleft: Right.

;-* Temur.

:engleft: Right.

;-* RUG.

:eng101: That's better. Thank you.

Now. America, where are you? Where is America right now? No America, huh? Well you better be sick, dead, or mute, America -

:v: Here!

:eng99: Why didn't you answer me the first time I said it? You know, I'm just asking you, I said it like four times, so why didn't you say it the first time I said America?

:v: Because it's pronounced Jeskai?

:engleft: SON OF A BITCH! You done messed up, America! Get out of my goddamn classroom before I break my foot off in your rear end. Insubordinate, and churlish.

Mardu?

:tipshat: Present.

:eng101: Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Boco_T posted:

Since I won through the lottery with my prize packs last night and got a foil Ashcloud Phoenix, I am hoping SCG shows Ashcloud Jeskai on camera all day and in the top 8. Please raise it up!

I played Flip or Rip with my two prize packs at a draft. My friends won a Rattleclaw Mystic and Dragon-Style Twins, we only tore up a few commons and uncommons.

One guy got six fetchlands at the draft, which I think must be some kind of record. He was in the beginner's pod, and the only person who realized the (to quote a new player) "pretty lands" are worth money.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

GonSmithe posted:

God dammit I'm so mad my new job didn't pay me this week so I could order like 20 Narsets at $2.

Don't worry, she won't hold a price much higher than that. Certainly not enough for you to profit.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

superstepa posted:

Do you guys think that a Mono-red burn with prowess creatures can be a thing?
It sounds like it could work, you can have something like:
T1:Monastery Swiftspear
T2-T99: Burn while beating face with grown swiftspear

There is a deck like this, it's called SubSligh. Check the brewhaus. It's capable of turn 3 kills.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I love that Khans is having an impact in Legacy right away. Has anyone played Jeskai Ascendancy in a big Modern tournament yet?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

n.a.e.q.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Kraus posted:

So glad I got Swiftspears for a quarter apiece.

poo poo, they'll cost me two quarters and a dime now. Seriously though, I'm glad it's not a rare.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

TheLawinator posted:

I think that comes from being used to the idea that not all of your cards are fantastic. When all of your cards are dope, you just want to draw more of them.

I don't know about that. In Vintage I'd rather have a Dig Through Time effect because all my cards are good, but only a few of them are Tinker good. I can't comment on Legacy to the same extent, but it seems to me that the best 2 from 7 cards may be better than getting 3 randoms, one of which is likely a land. Of course Treasure Cruise costs less mana, but the instant speed of Dig Through Time is a big deal for some decks.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There's a reason Ancestral Memories costs 2UUU and Concentrate only costs 2UU, basically. Dig isn't quite as good as Memories because it doesn't stock the graveyard, but on the other hand it's an instant.

There are so many advantages to both cards, it really depends on whether you'd rather cast the sorcery for U or the instant for UU.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

When should I sell my 4 Glittering Wish? I'm pretty sure this new Modern Jeskai Ascendancy deck is the real deal, and the banlist won't be updated until December 20.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

stinkles1112 posted:

So can somebody tell me why Purphoros doesn't see more play? He seems potentially absurd in a shell with Rabblemaster, Hordeling Outburst, Bloodsoaked Champion and a number of other things. Are there easy answers to Gods that I'm not seeing besides Erase and Deicide? Because I really want to try a semi-budget token deck.

I played 3 Purphoros in a Standard deck tonight, I won all my matches but Purphoros was never responsible. He just doesn't do much on his own, and he may be good with other cards in the deck, but he makes it too easy for an opponent to shut me down by answering my other cards.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

qbert posted:

I have to admit, opening an entire booster box is fun.

More fun is watching someone's terrified reaction when you play Flip and Rip. I thought it was stupid, then I actually played it. Everyone should try it at least once, especially with a new player.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Veyrall posted:

Destroying valuables for kicks has got to be the most over-indulgent thing I've heard of in a good while.

That, and the circle-jerk back-patting that people who do it engage in, as if they've somehow done something noteworthy or requiring of effort or skill.

Actually, the EV of a game of Flip and Rip is higher than the EV of opening a box, and it's more fun. I hope being all cool and detached from human emotion is working out for you, though.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Elyv posted:

answer is clearly Patrick Chapin, he was in jail for some time

What did he do? I think it was something drug-related, but I don't remember exactly. I'm surprised no one's answered Bertoncini yet, he has no respect for the laws of man or wizard.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A big flaming stink posted:

one of my friends puts their graveyard and their library on opposite sides of the playmat. that's a pretty interesting arrangement i have to say

I play Dredge, so there are a lot of impractical things I do with my graveyard out of habit. I tend to tile cards so that I can read everything in the graveyard, even though almost nothing in this format makes that relevant. I also have to remember not to exile creatures with Delve when I have a choice because that limits Liliana ultimates.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

"If ~ would leave the battlefield, instead remove all noncombat damage from it. If ~ has lethal combat damage marked on it, destroy it."

That works and I think it matches the correct rule lawyer phrasing, but it's screwy with effects like Karn Liberated and Lich's Mirror.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

JerryLee posted:

That said, I'm confused as to why he felt it necessary to mention this at all. He alludes to some "widespread" idea about fitness being related to Magic success, but I can't say I've ever encountered it before. The entire section of the article is completely out of left field.

Travis Woo. The guy streams Magic with his shirt off and rambles about how the latest diet is going to make him a perfectly sculpted Magic machine.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Jorath posted:

I'm posting this here as my posting was deleted from MTGS. See if you can guess why.

I'm interested in the answer, and particularly, what rule causes it.

I believe the answer is no, because there's no need to maintain the order of cards in a hidden zone. Similarly, when you cast a Brainstorm, you don't have a duty to tell your opponent whether the cards that go on top were in your hand initially or not. So Nalini may shuffle those hidden cards before making the decisions.

I have no idea why it got deleted though, what's the reason?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Korak posted:

Sam Pardee talking about being 16-0 with the deck including winning with two 4-0s makes me think there's a lot more game to it.

That's the Modern version, not Standard. When's the next big Modern event, like a GP or PT? I figure we'll see a lot of Jeskai Ascendancy in the top 8.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Devor posted:

1UUU
Instant

Make up two plausible modes.
Counter this spell if your opponent knows how to check oracle text.

This textless Cryptic Command was the first modal spell I ever encountered, so I called bullshit when I noticed it seemed to be changing its function each time.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

:allears:

The Best Tweet.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Well I sold all my rabblemasters when they hit 10 ish but one of my team mates just cashed out. I think we're still sitting on 500 or so...
e: average buy price $0.82

Congratulations are due, that's the most successful spec I've ever seen in Magic. Does your friend have any stock tips?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Zoness posted:

To be fair, his opponent arguably misplayed by FoWing the FoF instead of the Misdirection, but he probably didn't see how the Misdirection was being resolved, since the most obvious interaction would be to redirect the FoW to Misdirection, which is normally how Misdirection counters a spell.

This and redirecting Ancestral are basically the nut high of Misdirection.

If I read that right, the YawgWin and FoF were on the stack when the opponent Forced FoF, and then LSV had the Misdirection. The most backbreaking play I've seen with Misdirection was Recall, Recall in response, Misdirection the second Recall in response, Misdirection the Misdirection for a net of 6 cards.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

suicidesteve posted:

At prerelease, I saw a guy flash in the Ancient, bounce 3 lands, hold priority bounce 3 more lands, and recast the Ancient. This meant he had no more islands for his opponent's Durdle Turtle to walk through, and allowed him to return a lethal attack when he was otherwise dead to unblockable damage. When did Aetherling ever remove landwalk from a card? :colbert:

The best thing about the existence of complicated bad cards is that it allows amazing stories like this to happen.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

By contrast, for the Jeskai deck to get a T2 kill, your opener + top card needs to have one of your 15 mana dorks, two of your 16 lands, one of your 3 Jeskai Ascendancy, and one of your 4 Gitaxian Probe. Getting those consistently is a stretch, to say the least, but it can and does happen.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

toadee posted:

OK I realize that you can replace Glittering Wish with Idyllic Tutor, but, wouldn't banning Wish greatly restrict your ability to tutor up answers and therefor possibly be the card to get banned? I'm not even saying it's the smartest move but I know Wizards will be loathe to ban a brand new card,

There once was a 3-mana enchantment that Wizards was loathe to ban, and the result was a lot of lovely Magic because they banned support cards instead of just banning Necropotence.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The biggest question with Treasure Cruise is, how happy are they to keep a new card in the format compared to an old card? I don't think it's significantly stronger than Brainstorm, which has been a Legacy stable since before Legacy was even invented. Is Wizards content to have a second powerful blue spell that's as good as Brainstorm?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

That's the most longwinded trip report I've ever seen, just tell us your matchups and any changes you think your list needs.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AnacondaHL posted:

No, it's an acceptable tournament shortcut and if the opponent has a response they're allowed.

Speaking of shortcuts, I have a really bad habit of announcing spells and doing the effect without actually taking them out of my hand. I think it's because I have so many token generators that I'm used to reaching for the stack of tokens. I'll cast an Elspeth, get distracted by the soldier tokens, and just stick a die on the table at 5 while keeping the actual card in my hand. I know it's awful, but no one at the Magic club plays counterspells anyway so it doesn't tend to make a difference.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Blanking on Villainous Wealth is such a terrible feeling, it's even worse than missing a Chandra Pyromaster ultimate. Of course, I think Villainous Wealth is still worth casting in some matches because your opponent has so much value that you're almost certainly getting card advantage when X>=5. Usually, though, stick to casting Hornet Queen.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

qbert posted:

My buddy won a 41-man GPT on Sunday playing Sultai Control. Aetherspouts, Downfall, Drown, Thoughtseize, Ashiok, Kiora, Nissa, and Jace. Control is actually great in a field of all midrange right now.

Always remember that to win a game of Magic, you need to be much faster or slightly slower than your opponent. My local meta is full of control decks fighting an arms race of bigger bombs, which is why I'll probably play SubSligh at Game Day.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

a dozen swans posted:

what oh my god don't do this it sounds super rude

Just don't play magic tomorrow night and focus on your date instead. god, this loving thread.

The dude has less than a page of posts in this thread, and thousands of posts in BYOB.

What I'm saying is that clearly Chill la Chill needs to liveblog his date as he runs back and forth between gaming store and restaurant.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

:f5:, but for the 5 button

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

tgijsola posted:

Honestly this early on after a set's release the right thing to do on MODO is sell everything you get because on average prices are much higher than they'll be even three weeks from now.

This is the correct answer. The vast majority of cards go down from their initial price just after release.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Boco_T posted:

Maybe I'm blind, but how does the deck win? Draw your whole deck, make a million mana, then...attack with 4 Cloud of Faeries over 5 turns?

EDIT: That is, I see where the board cards come in because you rebuy Mind Sculpt over and over or whatever, but for game 1 do you just...hope they scoop?

Use Ghostly Flicker repeatedly alongside Mnemonic Wall to cast all the Snaps you want. You have unlimited mana and your Cloud of Faeries are really easy to protect with Ghostly Flicker, so yeah you just attack 5 times and keep all your opponent's permanents off the table.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hellsau posted:

I wasn't sure what kind of finisher I wanted. Probably going to go down to 14 islands, add a cantrip and a Mind Sculpt as the finisher. Didn't want to put effort into it if it wasn't going to be playable tomorrow.

I'd say Capsize is best. It can help you while you're still somewhat early in the combo, after a few High Tides it can go infinite with Cloud of Faeries, and you can bounce all your opponent's permanents and then bounce their first land each time they play it. Just remember not to wind up with too few cards in your library after comboing.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I don't get it. What's the bug?

High Tide and Merchant Scroll were commons in Fallen Empires and Homelands respectively, but on MTGO they're uncommons and normally aren't legal in Pauper. Other cards affected by this bug include Sinkhole, Strip Mine, and Hymn to Tourach.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Is it possible they changed the rules on Pauper, or maybe they plan on changing them but it got implemented too soon by mistake?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What does the MODO terms of agreement say about exploiting bugs? Will I get in trouble if I use my 4 Hymn to Tourach, 4 Sinkhole, 4 Strip Mine deck in a Pauper daily?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Terrible Horse posted:

Didn't they kill pauper dailies/any way to make pauper profitable? Or did they keep the dailies but nerf the prizes or something?

They nerfed prizes, but the events still fire.

• Locked thread