Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
And G2 was actually lost because the guy totally forgot that Bloodsoaked Champion actually has a text box and isn't just a 2/1 for 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

BizarroAzrael posted:

So should availability bring Sarkhan's price down soon or had I bet take the plunge?

I'm pretty sure the price will drop a little once people figure out that 4 Sarkhan 0 Stormbreath Dragon isn't the optimal card distribution.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
As written, your hypothetical creature still does to Wrath of God and Cruel Edict. "Protection" means something very specific, and doesn't do anything about destroy/exile/sacrifice effects.

Honestly, just making something hexproof is effectively "protection from spot removal", and I'm not sure how much you're gaining by reinventing it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You could also solve the sacrifice/exile problem by not printing any sacrifice/exile removal in the same format, if we're talking about this as an actual card design rather than a "can you make an unkillable creature" thought experiment.

Then you can just do "~ can't be destroyed except by lethal damage", which fits the original stipulation of being immune to traditional mass and spot removal but still dies to burn, -X/-X, and combat.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Rattleclaw Mystic seems like the biggest bluff potential in constructed, since you only need to play one Hooded Hydra or Sagu Mauler in your deck to turn a facedown dude into something they need to respect at least a little bit.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sickening posted:

why is it limited?

GP Orlando, no open series.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rinkles posted:

What would the standard version of the ascendency deck use for cantriping? Or would it mostly rely on the looting ability plus treasure cruise to not run out of fuel?

Probably some combination of Dragon Mantle, Defiant Strike, Stratus Walk, Nylea's Presence, Fate Foretold, Karametra's Favor, Chosen by Heliod.

You probably don't really need more than the first four though, that plus the looting plus some actual card draw should be sufficient.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mango sentinel posted:

Well the issue is the card doesn't cantrip and also locks up one of your mana dorks bouncing stuff when you still have to go off X number of reps.

Stratus Walk seems like the better answer to chump blockers, given that the only flying creature that would generally be staying back to block your guys is Mantis Rider (and you probably have more than one mana dork to attack with if you're actually going off).

Emerson Cod posted:

In addition, when you are searching your library (Dig Through Time doesn't search, but same principal) you must maintain card order. The only card it's relevant for is Panglacial Wurm, since you could pay for it with Chromatic Star or Deranged Assistant, which cares about the top card of your library at the time of casting.

Chromatic Sphere. Also a whole bunch of older eggs. Chromatic Star is the fixed one that doesn't have you drawing a card as part of a mana ability.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Remember everyone, don't open packs for value.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Samael posted:

Fetches are going to definitely go down in price, right? I'm trading my only two GR fetches and one of my edh cards for 2 snapcaster mages for my new modern deck and I'm wondering if that's a worthy trade since I can probably pick them up for cheaper in a month or so time.

They'll be in the $10-15 dollar range for a while, at least while Khans is being opened for Limited. Shocklands peaked at $15, for example, and fetches are nowhere near as good (in Standard) as shocks. There is more eternal-format demand for fetchlands, but that's unlikely to be a major factor on the price after the initial rush subsides.

They'll definitely creep up long-term, but the fetchlands not used in whatever breakout deck shows up at the pro-tour will be dropping a bit first.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In fairness, Mindreaver could see play just for being a UU creature with 2 power if enough other devotion enablers show up. Literally just one or two more devotion enablers get printed (which is possible, since the rest of Khans block isn't wedge-based) and mono-U devotion comes back swinging.

Especially since now it can even counter the board wipe against control decks.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

JerryLee posted:

Want dis card name in Return to Innistrad

Dack Fayden finding his way onto more cards.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hellsau posted:

Oh my good lord PLEASE let High Tide be legal. Apparently Hymn, Sinkhole and Strip Mine are.

4x High Tide, 4x Treasure Cruise, 20x Cantrips, bunch of free spells? Yes please.

e: High Tide is available, Frantic Search isn't. Presumably they can just update the banned list temporarily for an easy fix. Ahahahaha they're gonna let the Dailies go through like this aren't they.

Obviously they're spoilers that Fallen Empires is going to be released online.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

A big flaming stink posted:

:stonk:

Dig through Time's lowest price on tcgplayer is $18.

:stonk:

Whelp, looks like I was trading in the right direction at FNM. Glad I have 4, kind of wish I had more.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

tzirean posted:

Note that despite listing basically every other format anybody has ever given a name to, Vintage specifically isn't mentioned in the pictured list.

You could totally run Vintage though. If you could get together 8 decks with no proxies.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hellsau posted:

When are BDM and Buehler going to stop talking? I just want to watch people play magic.

Probably when the next round actually starts.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

You're playing 14 white sources. That makes a T3 double white very reasonable. The issue is more that the best card in the mirror is worse vs everything else.

60% really isn't "very reasonable", to be honest.

e: It's about the same odds as getting 3 land on turn 3 in your 19 land deck. There's a reason you run more than 19 lands in decks that want to be casting 3 drops reliably.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 14, 2014

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

If you're playing a 2 color deck do you really have much more than 60% sources of one of the colors in a format where you can't fetch for a dual land?

If you're wanting to cast CC spells in both colours early? Absolutely.

Last season's UW control, which wanted WW on turn 4 (not turn 3) for Supreme Verdict, was playing 17 white sources. And that's with all the card drawing the deck had to help find those cards on time. GW aggro was playing 16-17 white sources for Ajani and Advent of the Wurm, and everyone knew that was a deck with bad mana. You will lose to not being able to cast your spells with only 14 sources.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cernunnos posted:

I honestly feel bad for the MTGO programmers. They're probably competent enough to make it work right but they're building in some relatively ancient, mostly defunct programming language aren't they? I imagine if they could start the whole thing over from scratch with a more modern language they'd have a more stable system all around and would have less trouble implementing new cards. Also they'd need to be mostly self administered rather than being completely under the thumb of another division (definitely won't happen).

:sigh: Bureaucracy rules with a fist of Red Tape. :sigh:

Honestly, I'd be surprised if that was a major factor. It's easy to say that "well just rewrite it in a better language" is the solution, but all that really does is give us v4 (and before that, v3, and so on...).

The problems with mtgo are primarily that they have a very firm release cycle - they have four major releases a year, with no ability to move the ship date, and no ability to cut anything that won't be ready in time for release. So if scheduling constraints mean you have to cut something from a release? Well, it's going to mean that bug-fixing and cleaning up the code are the things that don't get done. With a schedule that firm, you really need enough staff to finish things well in advance of your ship date, so that you have enough time for the other things.

The fact that they're not really paying a competitive salary (and hence not really getting the best people) doesn't help either.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Entropic posted:

Are they though? Everything I've heard is that they don't offer anywhere near a competitive wage/benefits for the area, so who they end up hiring are people who are passionate about Magic but weren't good enough programmers to get a job at Amazon or Microsoft or whoever else is based in the Seattle area.

People would be lining up to work there if the compensation was reasonable, so it is essentially a money problem.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I've been checking all their bots for like half an hour, I can't find one that actually has any Stratus Walks. It's bizarre.

You could try placing an order from their website and saying "I'll pay with tix", instead of trying to find a bot that currently has the card.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Xeom posted:

Can someone explain to me why a lot of red aggro decks are including 'Eidolon of the Great Revel'? It would seem to hurt the red player more than anything else.

It's two mana and it deals an almost guaranteed two damage to your opponent, and often deals much more.

Aggressive red decks win by killing their opponent before their own gameplan really comes online, so it really doesn't matter how much damage you take.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Wadjamaloo posted:

This is a thing I have done on purpose, although usually spell piercing a mana leak. In this case it was probably stupid.

During ALA/ZEN standard I played runeflare trap combo. The matchup against UW control was an interesting one that the UW player never fully understood. The games always ended in a giant counter war over runeflare trap. The UW players often misunderstood the war as being about card advantage, but since we both had a grip of 10+ cards and I had probably just time walked a bunch it was about mana advantage.
Most of UW counters cost 2 or 3 cc, while mine were all 1 or 2. I would often spell pierce a mana leak despite having lots of mana open just because I was trying to leverage their mana instead of their hand size.

The reason it's stupid is because casting Mana Leak costs you exactly as much mana as just paying for the Spell Pierce.

Doing the opposite (casting Pierce on a Mana Leak) is a totally legitimate play.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Serperoth posted:

Mana Leaking a Spell Pierce isn't always wrong. Hell, even if they pay/counter your Leak, you can still pay for the Pierce. Sure it's not the best value more often than not, but "obviously never correct" isn't right.

It's about as correct as discarding two artifacts after casting Thirst for Knowledge. The end result being that you've spent the same amount of mana, but have moved one additional card from your hand to your graveyard.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

xeose4 posted:

I actually don't understand this, sorry. It just feels unnecessary? If Dark Confidant lets me draw one extra card per turn at the cost of my life, surely Blue can do that better? I've seen so many Black and Red cards who sacrifice this permanent or themselves, or make you pay life for this effect that this other colour can do without resorting to that.

The black (and to a lesser extent red) options, in exchange for costing you in other ways, are more mana-efficient than the blue way of drawing cards.

For example, compare Divination with Read the Bones - the black version costs you additional life, but in exchange you get to dig a little deeper to find the cards you want. Or compare it with Sign in Blood, which costs less mana to draw the same number of cards.

You probably already spend life points for advantage - for example, you probably don't block a 3/3 with your 2/2 when you're still on 20 life. By not blocking, you're spending your life total in order to get a better board position. Being able to spend your life total to get other advantages gives you an edge over someone who doesn't do that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

xeose4 posted:

Desperate last-ditch card for when you run out of actual counterspells? Unless you can pay an island as "a blue card" in which case I don't understand why it's so expensive when the regular counterspell is UU and this doesn't do anything fancier. I would expect to see the life-paying and discarding mechanic on a counterspell that is cheaper than the standard counterspell, not more expensive.

Sounds like you're misreading this - you can pay 1 life plus an additional card instead of paying the mana cost.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Count Bleck posted:

I don't think there would be a reason to run a deck that wasn't monocolored if there wasn't a way to get quick efficient fixing.

There are plenty of two-colour decks in Modern today that don't run fetchlands. Admittedly, three colours would probably be a bit of a stretch.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Everyone he played against had the unfortunate luck of never getting any lands in their opening hand and having to mulligan a lot. Then when he got a match on camera people noticed he was actually peeking at the cards and shuffling non-lands to the top of his opponent's deck.

I wonder if the next rules change will move things back to "you get to cut your own deck after your opponent shuffles it", the way it used to.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Count Bleck posted:

Only if I pay on card, because they get taxed for it.

Cash, no.

I ... would be worried about your game shop suddenly closing up if they ever get their financials audited.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Chill la Chill posted:

What's the matter here? They cast 4 copies of a spell on the stack and then passed priority to me. What other possibility is there if they didn't let me cast anything in between the 4 bolts? That is seriously looking like holding priority to me. If they intended to cast it one by one they would have done so.

Or is this another one of those gotcha moments like the guy who claimed revenge vine trigger priority was passed after eye contact was made?

It's because there's literally one "correct" way to play it 99% of the time, everyone knows that, and forcing people to stop and ask for a response every time they want to cast multiple spells just slows down rounds for literally no benefit.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

TheKingofSprings posted:

No, just disappointed

I, too, am disappointed that Wizards didn't print a card that would be literally instantly banned in Legacy and restricted in Vintage.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

suicidesteve posted:

"Oh, you're playing Disenchant? Enjoy my kraken I guess."

They should have made it indestructible.

You still get your creature back even if they destroy the equipment.

(Of course, if it loses the equipment the creature can now be sacrificed, but at least they have to work for it...)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

sarmhan posted:

Yea, why is legacy playability the criteria for a good card in Commander 2014? This card is quite powerful with its whole repeatable reanimation/looting self-synergy. As to why it has discard-as-a-cost looting, that's what red looting generally is these days. Regular looting is a blue thing.

Because the cards printed in supplemental products aren't legal in Modern or Standard.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Count Bleck posted:

Aren't they bringing back some supplemental product that WILL be modern/standard legal?

Actually, they sort of already have those. M15 Theme Decks, for example, had standard-legal cards that weren't found in M15 boosters. I also wouldn't be surprised if whatever new-player product they start doing after core sets stop ends up being standard-legal as well.

I'm not aware of anything that isn't just reprints though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

OssiansFolly posted:

I'm confused too...I can't equip an enemy creature, so I don't really see what good this card is...

You might have missed a paragraph while reading the card.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

AlternateNu posted:

and Bolt of Keranos which no one is running for some reason despite the lack of good removal now).

Why would I pay three mana for three damage at sorcery speed when I can get the same thing at instant speed for 2? Scrying is good, but not that good.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Zemyla posted:

You can't remove first strike from a creature or give them double strike to allow them to hit again at this point, however.

Actually, you can give a creature double-strike after the first combat damage step and have it matter. The creatures that assign and deal combat damage in the second combat damage step are:
- attackers/blockers that didn't have first strike or double strike at the start of the first combat damage step
- attackers/blockers that currently have double strike

So if a creature had first strike at the start of the first combat damage step, you can give it double strike during that step in order to have it also hit during the second combat damage step.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I think the knowledge that they will be eternal playable until the end of time will keep them all at $10 pretty much permanently. No one's going to let them go for $5 unless they're really desperate, when they know they can just wait and sell them for more later.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the "worse" (read: not really played in Standard) fetches at $7 or $8 - that's about where shocklands have settled with a similar level of Eternal demand. $5 is a bit of a stretch, but I think sub-$10 is quite plausible.

The fetches that actually see real standard play probably won't go below $10-$12.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Skillface posted:

FaceToFace games is having a sale today for 10 random mythics for $5. The EV for this has to be close to even, right? There are a lot of bad mythics but I think there are enough worth anything that it's an alright deal.

I pulled the trigger just because I need more cards to fill out my binder.

Maybe you could make a cool 3D card or something out of all of those Archangel's Lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

C-Euro posted:

I still get bummed by everyone lumping Dig Through Time in with Cruise and Ascendancy in the "imminent ban" category. At least compared to Cruise, it's far less ubiquitous and a more skill-intensive card and I'm not ready to give them up in Mono-U Tron, so is this just guilt by association or am I that clueless on the Modern/Legacy metagame?

It's disgustingly good in any blue combo deck (except maybe storm, which isn't really looking for any spell in particular when it's going off), which makes it inherently a little dangerous for the format. It's not as format-warping as cruise though, so I wouldn't be particularly surprised if it survives to the PT.

• Locked thread