Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Arriving on the ground floor to say that I am really looking forward to today's SCG Open!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
GET

HARNESSED

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

How have the decks looked so far today?

I've yet to see a control deck. The format seems heavy on midrange and reach-heavy aggro decks.

I haven't seen a Savage Knuckleblade yet, interestingly; the only Temur deck I saw was only running blue to splash Sagu Mauler.

I'm very convinced that Sagu Mauler is one of the best cards in Khans, by the way. People are so quick to forget Simic Sky Swallower and this is situationally even better.

e: haha, Doomwake Giant into a field full of x/1s, he Stokes the Flames in response to punch his Courser in :haw:

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 27, 2014

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Monastery Swiftspear takes the SCG Legacy Open!

(also Delver of Secrets and other good cards but who cares)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

The owner of my local store's husband opens up cases of product for singles and their own collections. :allears:

e: He had the entire set in foil, mythics and fetches included, by the the Thursday after pre-release. Including promo and non-promos. Man is insane.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Topdeck a fetchland, go to 3, slam-dunk a Zurgo into your enemy's face for the win. Ari Lax's draft deck is the greatest thing I have ever seen. :allears:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Watch Mantis Rider shoot back up to $10 for another month when it wins the PT.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

:sigh: I still hope against hope that the MtG movie A: isn't terrible and B: features Ajani and Bolas' conflict in some way. Giant one-eyed badass cat-dude's the best.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Archenteron posted:

I got nothing on the Sphinxes hexproof, though.

Sphinxes are highly magical as well as being intelligent, so they're probably just misdirecting or passively negating enemy magic.

Alternatively, because gently caress you, they're blue.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Crux of Fate is yet another flavor home run for Wizards. What a great card. :allears:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Storm pie: You eat little bits of your pie in such a fashion that you never get full. Then you vomit all the pie back up, eat it again, then vomit it at your opponent's pie, rendering it inedible.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I Love You! posted:

Like 230 or something plus all the rest of the prizes, but I will probably have to turn most of that into a modern deck for the Pro Tour because I don't actually own a single deck of any sort

I'd tell you to play Hatebears but Hatebears is awful against Delver and mediocre against Jeskai Ascendancy so you'd probably scrub out :toot:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

My favourite flavor texts are absolutely the Demigods from Shadowmoor and Eventide. They capture the bleak beauty of Shadowmoor flawlessly, the art is perfect for them, even their names capture every little thing. They're the perfect blend of Melvin and Vorthos. And it's all tied together by the incredible Seer's Parables.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I still can't believe the average Magic player is enough of an uncultured swine that we're not going to return to Lorwyn/Shadowmoor. :saddowns:

e: And that Wizards is so obsessed with the bottom line despite literally making GBS threads money out of every orifice regardless of the quality of their products

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Equipment decks in EDH are always going to be white and often mono-white. I'm just going to spout off a big list of cards I think are good in specifically that kind of deck.

Steelshaper's Gift. Mirran Crusader. Puresteel Paladin. Kemba, Kha Regent. Stoneforge Mystic. If you're interested in running RW, Sunforger is very good. Godsend. Batterskull. Loxodon Warhammer. Leonin Abunas. Leonin Shikari. Raksha Golden Cub (also a potential commander). Skullclamp.

See also the many good artifacts listed above.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

:sigh: I love drafting a cool flicker-control deck in Cube and immediately aggressively flooding while my midrange opponent drops ten million threats then kills me with a Natural Order Progenitus.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Storm Crow is supposedly one of the strongest cards in Magic, according to the Internet. I think it's the fact that it presents a 20 turn clock while being large enough to survive powerful removal spells like Electrickery.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

1. The cost is considered paid for. You don't need to sacrifice additional artifacts.

2. The effect will still take place. Only the original Lightning Strike gets countered. The Howl effect will be 'used up' and one (or two with Raid) Lightning Strikes will still be on the stack.

3. Yes, Ugin's Nexus triggered ability is irrelevant to whether Shrapnel Blast resolved or not.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

That Hero's Downfall into Strived Silence the Believers was pretty legit tho :allears:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

ZoMBiePiGGy posted:

Its possible, but going back 1000 years should change things drastically. I wouldn't expect any of the current Khans to even exist given the butterfly effect.

Then again bleeding to death could ignite her spark just in time. Who knows!?

I mean if she dies then how will nerds write terrible fanfic shipping her and Sarkhan???

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

The decks that want a Mobilization effect don't play enough creatures to flip up using it to make it playable in Standard.

In a control deck, I actually think it's worse than the lovely black enchantment in M15 which makes 2/2s, because that one can at least filter bad draws. This one just makes 2/2s for 4 and will sometimes 'kill' good cards by turning them into morphs (Elspeth, End Hostilities, etc).

It'd be borderline playable in a white weenies deck, if Heliod (and Spear of Heliod) wasn't better there too.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

vegetables posted:

This is probably the first card since Future Sight that made me do a double take:

...Not Emrakul or Griselbrand? :crossarms:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I opened four of the legendary dragons in my second pre-release pool. That was an insane 5CC deck. I had two non-Dragon creatures, a pile of removal, and about 5 of the manifest Auras.

I only got multiple Dragons on the field in one game, and my opponent immediately conceded when I told him the triggers stacked.

I know what deck I'm building for this standard.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Re: my absurd four dragon pool

I got two of the U/W dragon (one as a promo), the G/W and the B/R one. I had one forest and one swamp in the entire deck thanks to a plethora of duals. :allears:

Torrent Elemental ain't poo poo when it's permanently tapped by Ojutai. :smug:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

Awesome, so it's not in Time Spiral Block or from a set from early Magic. Which means there is a chance they consider it "a thing White should be able to do"! I just wish it happened more often...

The closest equivalent in recent times is Oust from RotE, I guess? White gets a lot of temporary answers or answerable answers, they just don't use the stack these days.

Memory Lapse wasn't as color-pie bending as Planar Chaos, but the shards did kinda warp it a little - green getting sacrifice effects from Devour or red getting creature recursion from Unearth, for example. White and black getting traditionally blue things was Esper's contribution since its theme of colored artifacts was vague and tenuous.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

One of the first non-core set Magic cards I saw was Damnation, and I immediately grokked (to borrow Maro's terminology) the idea of Time Spiral block and loved it for that. I'm a sucker for alternate realities and potential future storylines in general though so :v:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

What are you referring to?

I'm pretty sure he means Pongify specifically.

"Remove a creature and give your opponent something in return" was white rather than black, and nowadays it's blue because...it's kind of like Polymorph if you turn your head and squint, I guess?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Splinter Twin is Modern's control deck. Just because it can occassionally vomit out a turn 4 combo win by accident doesn't make it not a control deck.

Scapeshift is similar but trades speed for inexorability. Can't Combust or Mana Leak a land drop.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I dunno, I consider any deck that is happy to sit on a pile of counterspells and trade counterspells with its opponent until it can jam its finisher to be a control deck. See: every single Twin vs Blue deck match in PT Born of the Gods. The fact that Twin is also one of the best tempo decks in the format doesn't change that.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

Magic: The... I dunno, what comes after Gathering?

Hocus-pocus: the Get-together

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

LSV cruising to a game 1 victory. :allears:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

He did, he did!

Call a judge! Call the Bertoncheaty Police!

It was a Hunt the Weak. :colbert:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Gore Swine :black101:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Brad Nelson missed his Sultai Flayer trigger(s). :(

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I thought the Infect match there was going to be the strangest thing I saw this round.

Then Shahar Shenhar Mutagenic Growthed his Goblin Guide :stare:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

It can also play Stain the Mind off its tokens! I could totally see a situation where your opponent flashes in an Exarch/Pestermite and you Stain the Mind in response while still having 3 mana to pay for Leak, or 5 to just recast it if they Remand it. Obviously you'd need to be in the middle of 'going off' to pull that off but it's a consideration.

It could maybe use some Thoughtseize or Inquisition to give it actual game against combo decks, though.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I got into a stupid argument yesterday which I know I'm right about but need to be absolutely sure about.

Goblin Piledriver and Alesha, Who Smiles at Death are attacking. Alesha's triggered ability is paid for and brings back a Goblin. Does Goblin Piledriver's triggered ability give him +2/+0 from having another attacking Goblin?

I'm 99% certain that this is a 'no' because it's a triggered ability that fires when you declare attackers, much like Brimaz's, and if you cheat Brimaz in with Preeminent Captain or the like he won't trigger. Naturally, since I'm not a judge I can't possibly be right about anything (in this person's mind), so I dropped the matter, but I wanted to know if I was the one with the cat-piss here.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

:saddowns:

Well now I feel even stupider. I suppose I was under the impression that Piledriver just wouldn't trigger without any other Goblins on the battlefield when it attacked. I owe somebody an apology.

Clearly this is Magic Online's fault somehow.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

His genitals have protection from everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

There are so many traps for new drafters in Fate Reforged, and Aven Skirmisher is their captain. I always see new players with three or four of them.

The sad part is that it's probably the only 1/1 flyer for 1 which has ever been correct to play. It triggers raid from turn 1 (for Skullhunter, War-name Aspirant, etc), is a good runemark carrier (not that runemarks are great cards, but still), turns on Battle Brawler and the like, and it's a Warrior.

You just don't want more than one unless your draft is really, really bad.

• Locked thread