Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Unless you put an absurd amount of nonbasic hatred in a set dual lands are always gonna be strictly better than basics (and pretty much any other conceivable land), and I don't think they want to make cards like that anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It looks like they just misunderstood what StP does (maybe thinking "exile" means "sacrifice", I dunno how similar Hearthstone terminology is), and to be fair it is kindof unbelievable the first time you see it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Do you actually have a problem with infect in your playgroup? It seems pretty unreliable in EDH, and the fact that it synergizes very poorly (IE not at all) with regular damage means most people I know wouldn't use it outside of a couple of one-hit kill combos.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Any card that moves the game closer to its natural endpoint of me winning is a card that speeds up the game.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Just give it deathtouch.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the answer they arrived at was "just reprint Arc Lightning".

e: "Overkill" could be a good keyword ability, that would make it easy.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the idea of a fast, aggressively costed red planeswalker is interesting, Tibalt just fails at that miserably because he has to use his (at best) barely useful plus ability twice before he can do anything else, and even at that point he's underwhelming. Maybe the idea would work better with a minus-only planeswalker, so you can get a short-term but flexible boost.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Use counters

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Planeschase was mostly fun but I hated those stupid planes which stopped anything from happening. Who thought giving everyone -5/+0 was a good idea :argh:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Chamale posted:

It took a long time for Snapcaster Mage to see print because he kept submitting ridiculous powerful creature designs.
So I guess they just gave up and printed one?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Even if the basic effect wasn't overpowered there's still the inherent mana-producing degeneracy of "untap up to X lands".

Madmarker posted:

That card is on my list of cards I REALY want to have, but know should never actually exist. Like a Memory Lapse that cantrips for the same CMC as Memory Lapse. I want the card, but it would be degenerate.
That's not really degenerate so much as just overpowered. Remand is already great and what you're proposing is just a version that also gives you card advantage.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

1UU
Counter target spell. Then put ~ on top of your library.
How about if it also made you skip your next draw step?

Chill la Chill posted:

Hurf durf reminder that it was MBD that reigned supreme and without control we have really lovely formats like the current standard or angel thragtusk.
What's wrong with the current standard? It's pretty diverse and interactive.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Being paid more for a set you don't have to design new cards for seems pretty win/win to me. I guess making it a sensible draft environment would require some effort.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'd just take something as close to your old deck as possible and play at least once, it would be pretty funny to play against the MtG equivalent of a time capsule.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I tried it and even goldfishing it doesn't seem to FTK remotely that often, am I missing something?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Regardless of whether they have Ordeal of Thassa Perilous Vault still seems too slow to me unless they've seriously overextended. Chances are good that they'll have another creature and auras ready to play after the two full turns you've spent removing their board, and you're also giving them one turn of pretty much free reign to punch you as hard as they can.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Why is there no card that lets you play anything facedown yet.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

IMO morph cards should have been double-faced with a Morph Token on the back, but I guess that would be pretty impossible to implement now.

e: that would be pretty awkward without opaque sleeves though, I guess you could do it like flip cards and hide the bottom part from your opponent until you flip it??

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 13, 2014

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess you could show them enough of the card to demonstrate that it's a morph checklist and then put it under the card. Or make morphs like Flip cards and have it so you cover up the identifying information of the card while exposing the Morph half? In any case it would be impossible to implement since you'd need to grandfather the old cards, and using the new system would tell your opponent that you're using a newer morph card.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Would you technically have to keep your lands tapped (since tapping lands and doing nothing with their mana is legal)? I always let my opponents take back stuff like that but I'm curious as to what the official rules say.

e: Having the spell rewound makes sense though, otherwise you could cast counterspells at permanents for prowess triggers or something.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bringing back a broken deck to fight a couple of broken cards sounds really stupid to me.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lightning Bolt and Tarmogoyf are great, but they don't define what your deck will do in the same way that Stoneforge does, and they also don't warp future card development in the same way that SFM would. Maybe banning Batterskull would be enough to lock that deck out, but then you're limiting what equipments can appear in future just so this one stupid card can stay unbanned.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You're not meant to agree with the old woman who swallowed a fly

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 16, 2014

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Zoness posted:

That does ridiculous things with non-modal templates like Blackmail, Mire's Toll, or Signal the Clans

And if it's really going to apply to things that aren't instants or sorceries, look at what it does with Jitte or Cabal Interrogator.

Also as a strict substitution it would make cards with some templates effectively read "choose one or more or more" or "choose one or more or both".
How about if it did "Choose one " to "Choose one or more —" instead?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bolster seems really good for whip decks.

:suicide:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Plus realistically even if the algorithm was a bit non-random I don't think that's likely to result in it giving you (and you specifically) bad draws more often than you'd expect.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Legacy streams can be cool to watch but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't actually enjoy going up against the endless free removal of D&T or repeated countering that also causes my opponent to top and shuffle multiple times every time I try to do anything or all my good spells being countered even if my opponent is tapped out or losing to infinite combos on turn two because I happened to not draw my own free counterspell or whatever.

e: unless it's to prevent Twin combos or something I don't think Legendary is a good way to balance something, at best it will still be a no-brainer but only as a 1-2 of.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 21, 2014

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Terminus EDH precon may be good but it's really unfun to play against

Boxman posted:

The game sucks though, right?
I'd like to point out that they recently unbanned a spell that literally just says "destroy all of your opponent's creatures". There are no additional costs associated with it, and there's no mana system in the game so it doesn't prevent you from playing or doing anything else on the same turn.

It's regarded as a sideboard card at best due to the absurd nature of the current metagame

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The wheel cards in Urza's (Time Spiral, Memory Jar, Windfall) baffle me. Didn't they already know how broken Timetwister was at that point?

e:

Chamale posted:

Also notable is the existence of a deck that played several thousands Forests, because the mill combo deck couldn't beat it with anything it ran.
Do you have a link, that sounds amazing.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 26, 2014

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wow so in Japanese you have both Blood Tyrant and Blood Tyrant, Sidisi.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mox Opal?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

He doesn't have the nigh-on impossible to kill inevitability that makes Pearl Lake appealing, though. Hero's Downfall is pretty popular.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah it does kill virtually every relevant nonland nonmorph permanent in standard as soon as it hits the field, he's a great boardwipe when you factor in the lightning bolts you get afterwards. It just seems a bit slow for a win condition if you haven't already got enough control to hit his ultimate. Elspeth seems different because she's significantly cheaper, her damage output increases each turn and she can protect herself pretty well without using her minus.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't really like Heelbiter. Frenzied Goblin still seems better for boss slight type builds, three or four mana is a lot for that kind of deck and we already have Frenzied Goblin and Hammerhand in that role for 1 mana.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That Mantis Rider/Whip deck has a new all-star

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

As an aggro player: :suicide:.

Although to be honest I'm not sure how much of an upgrade it is over Seeker.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You need a whole bunch of mana to have him (slowly) do any additional damage though, while Seeker just gives you some for free with every spell. I could maybe imagine him in a control deck though - early on he helps you stay alive a little, later he creates a potentially brutal softlock with bounces, burn and counterspells.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The first mode seems very similar to Sultai Ascendancy to me, although admittedly it's a lot easier to cast and its other mode could be quite relevant in some matchups.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sultai Ascendancy enables Delve harder. I dunno, I feel like if I spend mana on something that doesn't affect the board I want it to give me card advantage (the red one is potentially cool for this reason), not sortof give me back the mana I spent to cast it in 3 turns time while filtering a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You're also only digging one card into your deck and providing 1 card towards delve each turn instead of 2. I dunno it just seems absurdly slow to me. You spend 3 mana for a card that gives you basically nothing over a blank cantrip until two turns time, and even then it's just a Faithless Looting. I guess in an insanely long control mirror it might be good, but I don't see a card that's massively slower than (eg) Divination working elsewhere.

• Locked thread