Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
Speaking of Jeskai, I opened 3 boosters a friend didn't want (he won some raffle at the LGS) and got Narset, who looks incredibly fun but unfortunately I hate everything about the Jeskai flavour except Swiftspear so she might be a tradeaway/sell. I also got Bloodsoaked Champion (exactly what I wanted) and Clever Impersonator, so pretty good for some free packs!

Off topic, if I'm buying singles from the UK, is there any particularly recommended site for doing so? Manaleak is UK based and they use flat postage (£1 within the country) but their prices seem a little high in places (for example, Satyr Firedrinker is currently £1.49 each on Manaleak, but $0.89 on Starcity). Or would the postage for the cheaper cards being sent internationally invalidate the attempt to save money?

The only site I've been steered away from is Magic Madhouse, but with little explanation as to why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
I'm considering whether to get a Khans box (the 36 pack one) as a birthday present to myself in the hope of some fetchlands or Planeswalkers for trading/selling, or trying to assemble a Sultai Delver decklist like this one. Opinions?

Having played a bit more with Delve I really like the mechanic and this deck looks up my alley, but the problem is of course the cost of some of the main pieces like Courser, Caryatid, Thoughtseize, Hero's Downfall and of course Polluted Delta. Obviously that decklist is only a jumping off point but those seem to be the big spends that bring it together, and would probably be assembled from now until Christmas considering wages and whatnot. Is Standard volatile enough that by the time I get this deck, the set will be figured out and it'll be potentially crap?

On the other hand, getting a box would mean I could do a limited dealio with my friends for the cracking process, and hopefully have a blast while potentially opening some decent stuff to sell/trade and also fill out my sparse commons/uncommons.

EDIT: I also forgot to give an overall thanks to thread for the to-the-point answers to my probably inane questions, and how accommodating everyone seems to be towards newbies getting into the game. Big props to neetengie also for responding fairly quickly whenever and being particularly helpful!

The Wicked Wall fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 30, 2014

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So was my 'get in to magic' post poo poo or just not noteworthy? :(

I thought it was pretty drat good, though if you want my two cents it could have some more bolded bits as right now it looks a little... bland? Like, even just highlighting some keywords like the format names and the really super important bits for newbies to be drawn to. Also, maybe a little sentence at the end about what Rotation is?

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
I ended up buying a box instead of getting some singles for a deck I was unsure about, and ended up having a blast after putting up an event on the facebook group for our LGS' page! I asked if anyone was wanting to do a Phantom Draft (i.e. free to enter but I keep my cards) and we got enough for a full 8 people within the space of about 2 hours.

My own draft went pretty badly but I had a lot of fun doing it (I managed to win one game with Dead Drop somehow on a Siege Rhino and Necropolis Fiend)), and people were making some pretty good noises on their pack openings. Highlight pulls ended up including:
  • 2x Sarkhan
  • 1x Sorin
  • 2x Polluted Delta
  • 1x Flooded Strand
  • 4x Monastery Swiftspear for Subsligh
  • 1x Sidisi

Was this an okay box opening? Lots of other semi-decent to good rares also, and most importantly a foil Mountain and Plains.

EDIT:

Other rares were:
  • 1x Rattleclaw Mystic
  • 1x Thousand Winds
  • 3x Icy Blast
  • 2x Savage Knuckleblade
  • 1x Sagu Mauler
  • 2x Ankle Shanker (1 foil)
  • 1x Rakshasa Deathdealer
  • 1x Mardu Ascendancy
  • 1x Duneblast
  • 1x Abzan Ascendancy
  • 2x Jeering Instigator (1 foil)
  • 2x Deflecting Palm
  • 1x Utter End
  • 2x Crackling Doom
  • 1x Jeskai Ascendancy
  • 1x Sage of the Inward Eye
  • 1x Howl of the Horde
  • 1x Crater's Claws
  • 1x End Hostilities
  • 1x Dig Through Time

I think that's all of them, might be a couple missing but nothing as attention-piquing as PWs or Fetches.

The Wicked Wall fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 3, 2014

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
Quick question, when does M15 rotate out? A friend has offered 2 Thoughtseizes for my 2 Polluted Deltas, and I'm wondering if it's worth it given how long Khans will be out for (as well as the inevitable slow drop of fetch prices). I've mentioned before I eventually want to play Sultai delve, but am currently building mono black so it seems like it might be worth the trade as the seizes will remain good for a while.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
Feeling a little uneasy that the thread seems to be consigning monoblack to a cold grave after I traded unused fetches and other bits and pieces for an entire monoblack aggro deck, but at least I now have a fairly playable deck for society events and FNMs!

However, did have a couple of questions though for those who play monoblack much:

1. How do you deal with Courser reliably? Caryatid I know you can Bile Blight out, but is there a decent way of killing it off quickly without having to throw dudes into its annoying face? A friend suggested sideboarding Stab Wounds to make them less safe to have out, though that doesn't seem to deal with the whole 'lands as far as the eye can see' problem.

2. How many of the hand reveal/discard spells should I be running mainboard? I don't have Thoughtseizes right now but I do have 2 Despises, and they've done work so far. I get that Thoughtseize is usually considered better except against the fastest of aggro/burn decks, but is there a case for running 2 mainboard each and 2 sideboard and swapping around as needed?

3. Opinions on Mardu Skullhunter and Master of the Feast? So far being able to Bloodsoaked/Scarhide/Tormented Hero T1 into T2 raided Skullhunter has been pretty good, but I'm wondering if running another good monoblack card in its place is worth it (Spiteful Returned?). Master of the Feast has my circle of friends and society group in an exact 50/50 split between 'absolutely necessary' and 'avoid like the plague', so am interested to gauge what the thread response is to it.

Thanks in advance!

The Wicked Wall fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 8, 2014

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
Yeah I got Courser and Caryatid the other way round, though the face-up cards thing is part of Courser so I seem to have had confused myself mid-sentence and just moved on? Welp. EDIT: I remembered, was confusing Bile Blight with Anger of the Gods.

Will consider Boon of Erebos for Coursers and try to get some Spiteful Returned then! In the worst case scenario that my deck is going to be drowned like a rat in a sea of midrange durdle and clunkers, is it worth considering trying to shift it to also a midrange deck? Or is midrange monoblack just kind of bad?

The Wicked Wall fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 8, 2014

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
Is this the bit where Buckingham Palace is spoiled as the next Legendary Land?

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
Trip Report on my very first FNM!

Got in early and played some casual games with friends after watching a draft I couldn't turn up to the start of end, then did some trading to get Master of the Feast x4 and my final Bloodsoaked Champion. Slotted them into my deck, registered and got slotted into the newbie pool as it was my first time, then got into my first game!

Round 1, won 2-0 - 1st year student at the neighbouring university, he'd bought a M15 toolkit and so had constructed a red/green deck out of basically every somewhat decent one he'd pulled. Rushed with Bloodsoaked Champions for 2-0, then proceeded to have a look through his deck and see what he could improve (as well as help sleeve it up).

Round 2 won 2-0 - Another R/G player, though he had some alright stuff (Kiora's follower combos etc.). Managed to turn 3 Master both games and he couldn't deal with it, though he got me down to 1 on the second game when I had to block a trampler with Tormented Hero. Played a couple of casual games with him after and found out he had both Coursers and Caryatids, and hadn't drawn into them surprisingly.

Round 3, lost 0-2 - Friend of a friend who'd bought the event deck, then proceeded to get the God Hand twice in a row with stacking Chiefs of the Edge/Scale and Seeker of the Way. Unfortunately couldn't race him fast enough, so lost both.

Round 4, won 2-1 - Weird semi-mirror matchup against a guy who was running a similiar deck but with some of the 1 drops subbed out for green enchantments, which caused me to lose a game when he used Ranger's Guile on his own Master in response to removal. Otherwise, the games basically came down to who played Master first and hoping Pain Seer didn't draw anything too expensive.

Overall, had a good run. My 2nd place prize packs had a Bloodstained Mire in there so was pretty chuffed with that, and also amused at how silly my promo Fanatic of Xenagos looks. Will definitely go back for the next one (though will probably be put into the proper pool as I placed fairly high).

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

neetengie posted:

That's good to hear man, save that Bloodstained Mire for either Modern/Legacy or for a rainy day, it's gun b gud.
Is your MBA deck pretty fast on average?

It's fairly fast, not Subsligh by any means but turn 5 win can happen it seems if nothing big gets blocked. I had to swap out a few 4ths of the 1-drops (except Bloodsoaked Champion because bananas) to get Master in, though Mogis' kind of compensates for this by just letting everything go ham as a finisher. I also got a 2nd Whip of Erebos in there now so it actually shows up when I want it. I also threw in 3 Temples of Malice as part of my 22 lands, which were really pulling their weight earlier. My plan RE: The fetchland is to wait and see what the pro tour does to the local metagame, and if MBA gets midranged out in the next events I'll probably transition into a R/B aggroey midrange thing as I have some okay red cards and 2 Sarkhans still.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
Having tuned in for the first time a short while ago, this as a newer player is making me pray that Abzan midrange doesn't immediately permeate into the local metagame, causing the next FNM to be about building walls of Caryatids, Siege Rhinos and Coursers.

Granted I'm not really a fan of Green or White right now for mostly flavour reasons, but if it's wrong to keep to Monoblack Aggro and Subsligh for FNM, then I don't want to be right.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

Ramos posted:

Top deck Elspeth? Clap, pump those arms, win the top deck race.

Was this something you'd refer to as a Windmill Slam, or is that something else?

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

vOv posted:

What is your avatar from?

It's a character called Desty Nova from an old manga series called Battle Angel Alita (which is much better than its title suggests).

Also more on topic, that vampire token is currently the MvP for me.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
Monoblack trip report on my first Games Day! Went 3-2 with wins against Jeskai and mono green, and lost to GR monsters and a spammy R/W heroic tokens deck. Had a fun time, did my trades and put away my stuff, then found out I'd somehow made top 8 (though only 18 people were playing total). After 10 minutes wait, it was suddenly time.

Lost a game to another R/W heroic tokens guy,a then proceeded to roll over him with Bloodsoaked Champion spam and Mogis' Marauder twice to advance to the semifinals. The semifinals I ended up losing in game 3 annoyingly, as I miscalculated my needed blockers to not die before I killed him. The annoying part is this was due to the guy's deckbox mostly obscuring a Courser of Kruphix-revealed Sarkhan on top of his deck, so I completely forgot that the card was there to be looked at (really a mistake on my part but I had no idea what the rules is on stuff like that so I just let it go).

Either way, got my promo green dude I'll never use and foil promo Utter End! One saving grace as I found out after from my closer friends was that the guy I beat in the quarter finals had gone 5-0 over the day with no losses, and had apparently got 1st in every FNM in the past 5 months, so was pretty happy with that.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
As someone who just finished building Sub-sligh from odds and sods trading, pretty pumped for that promo! Possibly even more than for promo Stoke the Flames.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

Count Bleck posted:

Best Chun Li and if you disagree I don't even wanna talk to you.

I think the highlight of my FNM this week was ramping into turn 2 Knuckleblade twice and turn 2 Temur Ascendancy Turn 3 Knuckleblade once. Shutting the game out in 3 turns is pretty amazing when you have the image of Polukranos come crashing in on turn 4 with Haste. :getin:

I'm just so glad the clan is called "The Temur Frontier" because now I get to say "Everyone's bigger on the Frontier" and it's Not Wrong.

My highlight this week was while playing Subsligh mono red against a friend playing robots. I had lethal on the board and him only Chandra while we had no cards in either of our hands, then he +0's Chandra and flips over the top card to cast. loving Anger of the Gods. Then he plinked me to death with her +1 while I drew no hasters and only 1/1s or pump spells. It was a nailbiting set overall though so we had a good time, he even bought me a pint afterwards because of how bad he felt.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
New player question: What was the deal with slivers? I understand that they were a sort of swarm-flavoured synergistic series of cards that were all about boosting other slivers, but were they actually good? Was there a period at all where sliver decks were stomping around standard like T-Rexes?

Considering how seemingly bad they seem to be individually and being sprayed around all of the colours, I'm inclined to think not? But it would be interesting to hear from more experienced players.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
Man, just when I thought the black deck was gonna be my go-to, the red deck looks fun as hell. Considering my paycheck is soon I may have to get both, though will probably bunk for the black one first and hold off for the other.

My local LGS equivalent thing we go to is actually not doing preorders as apparently Wizards might have printed enough in comparison to the previous commander releases. Anyone else hear anything like this?

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
Bit of a politics question related to EDH and the age-old serious vs fun standoff:

Having played EDH a few times now borrowing friends' decks I've been having a blast! Everyone is really silly and forgiving of me being slow looking at the cards I've never heard of. Definitely cemented my choice for the black precon to get into things more and maybe the white one if I feel like building the BW deck of my dreams. It's always pretty good and we're getting to know each other's decks too, which has some interesting effects on people's plays.

However, there's one guy who seems hellbent on winning, far more than anyone else; while we're all dicking around with various politics plays and stack malarkey, he'll sit there countering everything that affects him, and after a point we just lose suddenly to being milled out within 1 turn.

I understand that part of EDH is targeting the bigger threat players and whatnot, but the general consensus behind closed doors is not to play with this dude if possible because this apparently happens every time. Is there a way to handle this situation beyond telling him not to bring Mono Blue Azami because it's a funsucker? This is probably an open-shut question, but being newer to the politics behind this I have no idea what the situation is.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
Thanks for the advice guys; we'll probably try putting in some of the silly blue hate cards first, but if the guy is a dick about it (as he has been about other things) then we'll know where to tell him to stick his deck.

I'm uh... sorry for bringing up EDH politics? I guess?

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

qbert posted:

The worst offender is the Game Day Utter End promo.

I'd argue Metalworker looks worse in that regard, though awkwardly 3D Zurgo definitely looks weird when you consider his proportions in all the other art he's depicted in.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
3 Quick mechanics questions, as I'm in the process building U/R robots for standard fun times:

- Does recurring Shrapnel Blast with Howl of the Horde require extra artifacts, ie. is that cost considered paid and then it just recurs the 5 damage?

- I cast Howl of the Horde, then they counter the spell I'm planning to copy (let's say Lightning Strike). Does the Howl get 'used up' or could I then cast something else and have that be copied successfully?

- Ugin's Nexus is on the board, and I cast Shrapnel Blast using it but someone counters it. I still take the extra turn because it was sacrificed in the cost, right?

Thanks in advance. Also RE:Containment Priest, a surprising number of friends have been advocating not using it for some reason... despite the fact in our circle like 3 people (including me) are using reanimation or flickering in a big way :iiam:

The Wicked Wall fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 29, 2014

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
Cheers for the quick and useful replies! Still trying to work out how much counterspell/blue to run in the deck, but those cards were likely to be in there regardless just because of how stupid and fun they are (even just sideboard). Having played mono black and red aggro solidly for about 3 months, testing this has been pretty strange.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
Really glad Boss Sligh/the slightly slower versions with Rabblemaster are getting some toys to play with; I'm far more excited at the prospect of a red devotion deck though, or a semi-sligh deck that uses Arcbond to suicidally boardwipe midrange decks.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

Angry Grimace posted:

I love playing Sligh decks and then just playing a Circle of Flame.

Pretty much, though you'd be surprised how few people in my area actually play Circle, Scouring Sands and Searing Blood despite like 60% of the local meta being Jeskai tokens. :iiam:

EDIT: That said, Circle may give sligh a hard time but at least the deck has swiftspears and buffs to get through; now monoblack aggro on the other hand, ouch.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
I'm looking to get into modern, and having played a fair bit with my friend's decks to help them test, I'm kind of interested in building Affinity. Problem is, it's a pretty expensive deck, and I'm wondering if there's a cheaper way to get into modern just so I can have a go at local events etc. with my own deck.

A few friends are suggesting building Living End, which on closer inspection looks hilarious and can be built fairly cheaply. Would anyone here be willing to chime in as to whether it's actually a good deck, or is it just a pile of pure silliness? I was told also it's easily countered, but so is Affinity so yeah. Cheers!

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

BizarroAzrael posted:

So with the new set, could Mardu warrior tribal be worth a go. BW has a bunch going for it, but I don't know about red. War-name Aspirant may be handy against tokens, after that there's Alesha, Rabblemaster, Mardu Charm and Crackling Doom all at three.

And how constructed playable is Mardu Skull hunter? Thought it might be good against control.

Having played it a shitton in mono black aggro, it's really nice as a turn 2 raided drop but often horrible against any other aggro because it enters tapped; it will occasionally force out a counter if people REALLY don't want discard, which is nice.

You're right that it's great against control though. It's even better when your plays are 1-drop, swing then skullhunter, swing then another skullhunter + Thoughtseize :getin:

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
Can anyone weigh in on their preferred choice of sleeves for EDH decks? Currently using ultra pros as they're the only ones available locally, and while they're nice to shuffle I'm getting tired of sudden splits and them feeling pretty flimsy.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

Chamale posted:

I heard a story of early 90's Magic players making bets where the loser had to buy a duel land, because spending $5 on a land was seen as such a silly thing to do.

My personal changing-value story is that I once traded a Scavenging Ooze for four Goblin Guides.

While nowhere near as amazingly valued, I managed to get 2 Thoughtseizes and a Courser of Kruphix for a single Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker shortly after Khans came out (when he was suddenly worth $45 on SCG for like 2-3 days).

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

bhsman posted:

Re: The Other Creatures in My Commander Deck

The only creature that I can really compare to Tajic is something like Avacyn - which I don't like for how expensive she is and her ability is a little too one-sided for one I like - or Angelic Overseer because she is even harder to dislodge than Tajic at times, but also requires that Tajic is on the field to get Hexproof and Indestructible. The fact that neither has red in their cost prevents me from using stuff like Chain Reaction and Blasphemous Act.

EDIT: Toshimo is probably really mad somewhere and isn't sure why.

Any tips for Tajic EDH? I'm trying to pull one together but all I can think of is Sunforger + the toolbox instants, boros token generators and MLD as a 'finisher'.

And my own: Rune-scarred Demon is probably the bigger weight puller than Geth, if only because of the ability to fetch Exsanguinate/Cabal Coffers for the kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism

pointsofdata posted:

What's the most fun duel deck for a beginner? I don't have any paper cards and want to try it with a friend who hasn't played before. Having usable card to start of a reject rare style cube would be a bonus too. At the moment I'm thinking of phrexia vs coalition

Speed vs Cunning is alright, though Arcanis being one of Cunning's big bombs is a little annoying considering how much mana you need to hold up to drop and then protect/bounce him. Otherwise, pretty fun!

• Locked thread