Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's possible that specific deck becomes crap, but all the rares are powerful and versatile enough that I would be surprised if they didn't see play for the entire lifetime of this Standard. That said, I think the answer on which to do depends on if you'd rather draft or sealed or whatever with some friends or assemble a Standard deck.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

All of those races were on Dominaria at some point, although I don't think we've seen efreeti since Mirage block and Jamuraa is phased out. I don't think we ever saw naga, though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Does Sperling not remember Phthisis, a word so obscure that Chrome is giving it the squiggly red underline?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zero_Grade posted:

I remember the CFB crew stumbling over that one during Modern Masters drafts.

I'm not ashamed at all to admit that when the card first came out in Time Spiral, I had no idea how to pronounce it or even that it is a real word.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

answer is clearly Patrick Chapin, he was in jail for some time

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I have no idea whether I tap left or right v:shobon:v

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

People play formats other than Legacy.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

redstormpopcorn posted:

If you don't separate your lands at least by basic/non-basic, you need to be put down like the rabid mongrel you are.

I don't, I separate my lands by what type of mana they tap for. So like, I might have a pile of mountains, a pile of forests, and a pile of stomping grounds/copperline gorges.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cactrot posted:

Its also important to line your cards up with your duals, so that the forest is on the green side of your stomping ground and the mountain on the red side :spergin:

If my mana isn't too complicated, I actually do this :blush:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Exiling is rare enough that this hypothetical keyword seems extremely narrow, annoying to execute rules-wise, and fairly pointless.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jonked posted:

How the hell do you pronounce mutant without a moo sound?

probably getting trolled but I say it as mew-tant

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

HMS Boromir posted:

I'm not sure what a tempo deck is, though, unless it actually is just "aggro, but you play bounce spells"

A tempo deck is basically another name for aggro-control I think; basically, you want to play efficient creatures and spells and try to control the game until you manage to kill them.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ShaneB posted:

I'm a player getting back into the game after 19 years, and I wasn't at all serious back when I was a teen playing 4E/Ice Age. I have a few questions about card storage:

- should I do something to protect all my R/M cards? Like when I see a R/M, should I immediately sleeve it, or even more hardcore, slide it into some kind of plastic binder sleeve page once I'm done using it in my limited deck or running it in a constructed?
- do I want to keep my R/M separate for any reason, like trading at a local shop or better security from damage?
- what should I do with my C/U foils? Are they worth caring about at all, or should I just put them in the card box with the rest of my stuff?

1) Some R/M cards are worth a lot, but most aren't. I sleeve all my decks(including in Limited) because I prefer shuffling sleeved decks, but it's not important.
2) Yes, you may want to keep R/M separate, either to trade or to sell back to the store.
3) C/U foils are next to worthless except for a few rare cases, which generally consist of those which are Legacy(Type 1.5) playable.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Samael posted:

Well, we all know that MTGS is toxic, in fact, is there an internet forum related to magic that isn't completely retarded? I mean apart from here which has it's moments but is relatively decent.

I haven't been on it in a while, but goodgamery.com was pretty good.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The Onslaught block books were awful.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

Bring back Foils with no Reminder Text Wizards.

Iirc MaRo says that the reason that they don't do that anymore is that it wasn't worth the extra expense.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I know it's not their primary focus, but I wonder how much Wizards tested Treasure Cruise in eternal formats prior to setting the final mana cost and how much they wish they could bump it up to 9U or 10U now - and I can't even tell if that would make much of a difference.

I think the way Wizards sees it is that Eternal formats can handle new, influential cards, and if they can't, well, that's what the B&R lists are for.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Most combo decks in modern can theoretically kill on turn 2.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is actually true

Wizards isn't going to reprint Stifle in a Standard legal until after Khans rotates out of standard, if ever

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

I still wear a shiteating grin when I Squelch someone Fetching on turn 2.

Oku-Doku's face is comparable to the ones my opponent's wear shortly after I cast it.
So let me do it in khans for 1 mana less please.

Stifling a fetch doesn't feel as good as Squelching one though, it doesn't cantrip.

Have you ever countered a big spell with Disrupt? I'm an aggro player at heart, but possibly best feeling ever.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Actual best feeling is "Disrupt your Decree of Pain" anyway

Wizards reprint Disrupt in a Standard legal set tia

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Asphyxious posted:

Villainous Wealth seems really, really good, am I missing something here? Like is it you only have a mana pool of X to cast spells from or could you literally cast every card if X is high enough? And creatures cast this way are under your control?

http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/print.php?Article=8988

This is a good article for the problem with a card like overrun(or, possibly, villainous wealth; I haven't played with or against it enough to cast judgement). Basically it doesn't do anything early on and what it does when you cast it is super inconsistent. Yes, you hit all those good cards, but you could have also hit like 3 lands, a mana elf, and some other marginal spell or something.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Wealth see Constructed play, but I'd expect it to be more of a Genesis Wave style of deck, where the goal is to cast it for comically large numbers.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

LordSaturn posted:

You know Saito posted a list for that, right? With Dictate of Karametra?

I got to watch it tear a Junk Constellation deck to shreds. You have no instant-speed interaction and all your permanents have highly synergistic ETB triggers? :getin:

I didn't actually(I don't really follow Constructed Magic anymore), but that sounds fun.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

bring your date to play wizard poker, obviously

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

a dozen swans posted:

what oh my god don't do this it sounds super rude

Just don't play magic tomorrow night and focus on your date instead. god, this loving thread.

naw man, you play magic so that your date will understand that your priorities are in order

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

A), screw Sheldon Menery and screw EDH

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

So was it his hard glare or the raspy voice that gave you the hots for him?

yes

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

meanolmrcloud posted:

Is this a mix format PT?

They changed all PTs a couple of years back to be mixed format.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

meanolmrcloud posted:

The last one I remember being single format was when Cifka won with eggs, which dosent seem too long ago, but probably is.

Time flies. I still don't think of Oddysey as an old set :corsair:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

True, but I think if ever a card deserved an emergency ban, that was it. What an absolutely absurd card. What were they thinking?

urzasblock.txt

Seriously though, the reason Jar needed an emergency ban isn't because it was so much more powerful than, say, Tolarian Academy, but it was because people were leaving the game after Urza's Saga and they wanted to nip that in the bud. Maro has said multiple times that the CEO of wotc called R&D into his office to yell at them during Urza's and that's the only time it's happened.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fish Of Doom posted:

Didn't Skullclamp get an emergency ban as well like within a month after the set was released?

Skullclamp didn't get banned for like 6 months, I'd link the banning article but I'm on my phone.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

OK, so what happens if the opponent has Call to Arms in play naming white, with Skullclamp equipping a white 1/1 creature when you Ensoul the Skullclamp? Does Skullclamp become unequipped next time you check state-based effects, or does it happen before that?

My intuition is that it's on checking on SBEs, but I have to admit that I don't know for sure and don't really care.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

SierraNovember posted:

I decided to try this game after loving Hearthstone. Bought a Mardu starter deck. booster contained Sorin, sold Sorin to some guy for the cost of the starter deck. Jobs a good 'un.

Welcome! Magic is a complicated game, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask :)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I want to play 2004 era Extended.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Start with Sealed, not draft. Draft is more fun for most players once you're experienced, but without an understanding of what your deck needs it can be frustrating.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Akroan Hoplite is almost certainly supposed to be Akroan Crusader, I bet.

Edit: phone posting is slow :(

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yeah I like board games and Magic, but this doesn't seem like the game for me anyway.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yeah those look like paper to me, I doubt those are the final cards.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

I know there's technically a card that fits into the cycle, but in my ignorant opinion they're significantly worse than what the other clans got.

Card power across cycles is rarely close to equal, either in limited or constructed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

muon posted:

Something I've been wondering: pre-NWO, how rare heavy were competitive standard decks? It definitely seems like there's very few constructed playable cards in the C/UC slot, and I'm curious if that's always been the case or if it's due to designing for limited.

Very deck dependent. Like, UG Madness had basically no rares at all except for duals, but something like Kamigawa/Ravnica era control was stuffed with rares.

• Locked thread