Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Sidisi is AWESOME. That is all. Just value city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think Anderson's delve deck doesn't do enough powerful stuff to be good. You need to be whipping back poo poo in that match. I really think that Sidisi is great though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Why is SSG coverage so bad? They seem to only setup one camera on a match most of the time and when that match ends they usually don't have another game to go to consistently.

What MTG coverage is better than SCG? The answer in none and it's not even close heh.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bhsman posted:

Or even Extinguish All Hope, though that won't affect opposing Coursers. I like the deck, though: they don't really care about singleton removal as long as it ends up in the graveyard to fuel something else later. And I agree: as soon as I heard about Todd's deck running 4x Fiend I unconsciously flinched. :lol:

I don't think 4 is right. You don't want more than 2, I don't think.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bhsman posted:

Oh wow congratulations mcmagic

That's what you think I look like? Christ.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Attorney at Funk posted:

No way, this is:

I actually know him... He works at TOGIT

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Guys i know made top 8 in both Standard and Legacy. Pretty interesting weekend despite my miserable performance in the modern even...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

You could still get Rabblemasters for 75 cents the day of the pro tour...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Cactrot posted:

I can't believe they're up to nearly 20 bucks now, I kinda feel like I should dump mine for fetches and play a non-rabblemaster deck.

I don't think they are going down. They are played in EVERYTHING and no one is going to open up m15 anymore.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

My one box of Khans was Russian and I pulled 5 fetches out of it including a foil Flooded Strand. :smug:

How much did you pay? They are still ridiculous on ebay...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Cernunnos posted:

OK I kinda want this GP Shanghai playmat now.

Angel riding a Panda Bear. To battle, noble steed! :v:

I have a friend living in China who is picking one up for me. Very happy about that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

$106 including tax. My LGS gets one box of Russian, one box of Korean, and a couple boxes of Japanese with their normal initial orders, and I was lucky enough to swoop in and reserve the Russian box before anyone else was able to.

Christ. I wish my LGS was as nice as yours. The dude at mine keeps the Russian and Korean ones for himself.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Boco_T posted:

I'm putting together Mono Red Aggro to play at TCG States this weekend and I see that Eidolon of the Great Revel is basically a 3-4 of in the board of every top placing version of the deck from last weekend.

Which of the currently extant Standard decks do you bring it in against? Jeskai Burn? Abzan? I mean I guess last weekend everyone had it just in case they came up against control decks, but is it safe to leave out so that I can put different cards in there since it's unlikely that I'll see a control deck this weekend?

It's great against anything that is trying to one for one you with removal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If my opponent casts a Hammerhand on a Monastery Swiftspear, can I Magma Jet it in response or is it a 2/3 as soon as my opponent casts his spell?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

qbert posted:

You can kill it in response. Like Heroic, Prowess is a trigger that goes on the stack, and can be responded to before resolution.

Ok so in a related question, casting a spell with just a Bloodfire Expert out DOES NOT trigger Ferocious... Or does it...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Entropic posted:

I basically only do sealed at pre-releases so I have months to forget how stupidly swingy a format it is. You really need both luck and skill for sealed. It's super fun when you open a good pool, but then you get the crappy pools where you can maybe grind out wins at first but you will just never beat a skilled player with an actually good pool.

It'd be cool if they had a whole cycle of planeswalker characters from stories before there were planeswalker cards to put them on. I'd love a Jaya walker. :swoon: Gerrard wasn't a walker though, right? I have only the vaguest knowledge of storylines from that era, but I didn't think he was.

As opposed to the other formats of Magic where you don't both need luck and skill...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Sealed is just pack wars where bomby cards just dominate. Whether that's a good way to define the format or not is immaterial since draft exist and is about 10 times more fun.

At my store, in every prerelease, it's the same 5-6 guys who are in the top 4 all 5 events. It's much more than just luck. I really like drafting too but I feel like people use a bad pool as an excuse way too much.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I don't want to live in a world where Steam Augury is a good card...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

My standard league last night was everyone netdecking Jeskai Tempo. Ended up going 2-2 though I'm still in first but I SB'ed terribly vs it bringing in Erase which ended up useless and Magma Srpay which was almost as bad. I was playing RW walkers. Fated conflagration is a star in this format. The interaction between Sarkhan's is interesting in that it seems like you want to be the second person to land a Sarkhan rather than the first. Same goes for Chandra. Also the way I lost games makes me think that a few deflecting palms in the SB might be good even though the card just seems bad to me because it doesn't effect the board but the 4 dmg swing would've been enough to win pretty much all the games I lost... Might just be SSS....

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Those darn net deckers.

I don't care if they netdeck, I'm not above that, i just want to be ready for it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Madmarker posted:

I think Sickening responded as he did as the term "Netdeck" tends to be used by bad players as a way to to justify their janky homebrew deck's losses.

Now, you probably didn't mean it as such, but with the connotation the term "Netdeck" has, its easy to see how it is interpreted that way.

It's actually an advantage, or it should be if you don't gently caress up like I did last night, in that you know exactly what they have and you should be able to have good answers for it...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Madmarker posted:

Generally decks that get good and are copied do so because they are powerful even in the face of sideboard answers. I mean, Monoblack Devotion was certainly a "netdeck" but it remained extremely potent, and dominant even in the face of it being a known factor.

And what happened when MonoB started to dominate the meta? Rabble red smashed their face in. If you know the meta, you should be able to beat it. (Not that i'm a good enough player to be able to do that reliability.)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Madmarker posted:

Thats a bit of a unfair comparison, Rabble Red came about thanks to M15, Mono-black devotion was a thing before m15 came out, m15 brought about a whole new meta. Yes it was a good metagame call, and certainly influenced by Moboblack's previous dominance, but Rabblemaster wasn't even printed for most of monoblack's reign.

Yes, knowing the meta gives an experienced player the ability to tool their deck to handle the expected decks they will play against, but, with how much tournament grinding a reporting there is now, good decks rise to well known and "netdeck" status and are tuned to handle most sideboard hate far faster and more powerfully than the vast majority of even good homebrews can handle.

Yes playing an unknown deck gives in sideboarding versus a known quantity, but more often than not that advantage is paltry in comparison to the advantage playing an otherwise good and known deck grants through its power level and synergy.

I would not be surprised if he is suspended for unsporting conduct or something similar.

I don't really play "unknown decks" but I do take a stock list and try to tune it a little bit for the meta. Like I was playing Rabble Red with a white splash last standard and I was pretty much playing the RW control list that made top 8 in Edison with some minor tweaks last night.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

I think the only matchup that beats jeskai on a good % is abzan in my playtesting. Sorin and rhino are things jeskai has to have an answer to immediately. The only things that seem to deal with sorin and rhino reliably are disdainful stroke and Fated conflagration in a single card. Even if answers are found immediately those cards hitting the board put azban in a good spot.

Jeskai seems to be a hard deck to sideboard against though for the most part. Whats the best sideboard card? Ram? Deflecting palm?

Have you tried RW walkers?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LMAO Glittering Wish is 18 bucks low on TCG player. It was 1.95 a week ago.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

No, seems too janky. I am currently playing jeskai. :getin:

It's very similar to Jeskai... You just get more removal and are much stronger vs black aggro and you're also sitting back a lot more early game. You also have Rabblemaster instead of Mantis rider as a t3 play which i think is just better. And you don't have jeskai charm or permission out of the board. You also get to play 4x Anger of the Gods mainboard which is very strong in this format.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jimmy Jazz posted:

And it will swiftly drop back to 1.95 when ascendancy is banned.

Yup

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Mono black aggro is not going to be a very successful deck in this format unfortunately unless something drastically shifts. Gearing a deck that is going to be strong against it doesn't really make much sense. Mantis rider and rabblemaster are both strong turn 3 plays and each is stronger depending what you are playing against. The difference overall between the two is debatable strength wise but rabblemaster is definitely sideboarded out a lot more than mantis is in my playtesting.

I've just boarded it out against aggro decks... Which, granted, Rider is better against. But I feel like thats my best matchup playing RW anyway.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

The mardu "play good stuff" deck is pretty expensive and was something I was putting together when khans was being spoiled until the jeskai build came around.

I would probably be playing Jeskai if it didn't have Steam Augury in it lol.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

The only one deck jeskai deck posted from the SCG IQ actually ran it and it was an exact copy from the open decklist. Nobody else I have came across runs it.

Yeah I was kinda joking about that. I still want to see how RW does for me for another week or so then i can try out Jeskai/Whatever looks good from the pro tour. I do like the idea of just playing Anger of the Gods and tons of white removal though so I'm not sure if I'll ever go full on tempo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sharzak posted:

What happens if I chord for a Mistcutter Hydra? Can I choose 5 and cast the Hydra for that amount? Similarly, if I Genesis Hydra for 5 into another Genesis Hydra, can I cast that one for 4 and Hydra again?

No in both cases. They are x = 0 and they die.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I really think that Courser and Caryatid to ramp into Polukranos or Siege Rhino makes any kind of aggro deck pretty much unplayable in this standard.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

That being said, I hope Courser/Caryatid decks get the poo poo kicked out of them at the PT this weekend and we see something new.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Speaking of the Pro Tour the constructed resources show was based on their predictions of the pro tour and they totally dismissed jeskai as a potential deck to do well as well as basically saying splashing blue was bad (as in blue is just bad in khans). They did that while also saying that there wasn't a relevant counterspell against green. Have these guys lost their touch?

I pretty much agree with them that blue in Kahn's is pretty bad. (In standard)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

meanolmrcloud posted:

Just pulled a Sarkhan on modo. Is it safe to assume that he will make huge waves at the PT and should go up a bit? 23 tickets is pretty good but I don't wanna hold onto it only for him to underwhelm and drop.

There really isn't much room for him to go up....

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

I'm riding on Necropolis Fiend making waves at the GP.

I have 30 kind of just sitting on my desk. Getting dusty.

Me too lol. Lets see how smart we are.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

What are the pantheon guys playing?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I was playing Jeskai tonight at FNM and my only loss was to a green devotion deck... So I guess it's good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

neetengie posted:

You can't beat the fatties.

I didn't lose to fatties, I lost to Hornet Queen and not drawing my SB anger of the gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Pulled a pack foil Dig in my prize packs last night. Score,

• Locked thread