Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Thread title: Yesssssssssssss. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Don't worry, she won't hold a price much higher than that. Certainly not enough for you to profit.

Yeah. Even in the Jeskai decks, she is only a one or two-of (assuming she is in the decklist at all). She won't breach $4-5.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

:siren: DOUBLE STOKE THE FLAMES FOR MATCH POINT :siren:

Narset....pretty loving good.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My one box of Khans was Russian and I pulled 5 fetches out of it including a foil Flooded Strand. :smug:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mcmagic posted:

How much did you pay? They are still ridiculous on ebay...

$106 including tax. My LGS gets one box of Russian, one box of Korean, and a couple boxes of Japanese with their normal initial orders, and I was lucky enough to swoop in and reserve the Russian box before anyone else was able to.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cernunnos posted:

:drat:

Anyone who believes foreign language cards are worth more than a native language one deserves to be ripped off that badly.

I wish I could find some French cards. Apparently no one cares about French. :france:

I have a foil French Serra's Ascendant in my Boros EDH deck, (along with a foil Italian Master Warcraft and foil German Mox Opal and Elspeth, Knight-Errant). :getin:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Not necessarily what we are looking for, but I would be interested in seeing something like the following:
Planar Bound (This card cannot be exiled from the battlefield.)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Carrasco posted:

The problem with that is if Rest in Peace is on the battlefield, when a "Planar Bound" creature receives lethal damage or has toughness < 1, the game just hangs up repeatedly trying to execute a state-based effect that can't happen.

Yeah, but that can just be "common sense" (I do hate that phrase) embedded into the keyword effect like Bestowed lets the card stay on the field as a creature if the target is destroyed before the Bestow effect resolves.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I ran through that box practicing sealed and came across this in a pack:

Very next pack was a Wooded Foothills, and I got another Bloodstained Mire and a Windswept Heath elsewhere in the box.

And yet I opened ONE Hordeling Outburst :psyduck: (I need a set for Mardu Tokens)

It's like Stoke the Flames being sold out all over. Why are there some uncommons that are basically mythics this year?

I'll trade you a playset of Horling Outburst for a Bloodstained Mire. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

JerryLee posted:

It's interesting how the whole bluff value of morph plummets like a rock in Constructed for pretty much exactly the reason you stated. In Limited it's interesting because one morph could be a 3/1 and the other a 4/4 lifelinker so which one are you gonna burn when they're tapped out?

I realize this isn't something that everyone didn't already know, so I guess what I wanted to add is just that it's a shame they didn't do more work to try and make multiple morphs per deck a widespread thing in Constructed too.

The problem is that constructed level morphs would generally be absolutely busted in limited, so they couldn't make more than a few, and it would only add a bit of guessing in standard if they made several of them the same color.

Two random items: how long has it been since a set has had neither dragons nor angels printed in it? And has anyone play tested an Agent of Fates deck yet? It seems with all the cheap removal gone, it gets ridiculously better. Imagine a Sentesen Tactics that annihilates 3 creatures with a single Agent out.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Hahah. Four Coursers by turn 5 with the opponent having one of his own.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lets Pickle posted:

New rares in multiple decks in the top 8:
12 Mantis Rider
12 Siege Rhino
11 Dig Through Time
8 Wingmate Roc
7 Sorin
7 End Hostilities
5 Sarkhan
5 Anafenza

I like how there are more Sorin being played than Sarkhan. Wingmate Roc is an interesting multiple of, but I think even minor swarm with anything over 3 toughness is going to be a boon for any deck moving forward.

Overall, the amount of variety is fantastic. Sure, there is lots of Jeskai, but they're all wildly different than one another, I would be surprised if the deck settles into a standard form before Fate Reforged is released.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

En Fuego posted:

Faced it yesterday. Was wrecking face til they kept dropping Whip of Erebos. UGH

Do you remember how many black sources they were running? 4 of each Caryatid/Llanowar Wastes/Temples and a Tomb of Yawgmoth seem like a decent enough chance to get double black by turn 6 or so. Plus, you can just cheat it out with Genesis Hydra which is baller.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Chill la Chill posted:

If they were in the same colors I would play siege rhino and Quickling together all day for troll value and sweet synergy.

Then again, so would everyone. Unironically. :mad:

It is your duty now to build 4 color Quickling Rhinos.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I hate deckbuilding and pulling cards out of boxes and poo poo. It's probably the biggest barrier to me playing constructed magic. Honestly just printing out a list and putting it together once is the easiest for me so that's usually why I do it. Then again I'm playing eternal formats where like, there's almost no point in brewing up some wacky goofball thing just to see how it does.

See, I'm the exact opposite. I love brewing the most random jankiest Johnniest decks imaginable. And I will trade for the stupidest cards to do it. I will loving kill you by shrapnel blasting a Scuttling Doom Engine, you fucker! Or Spite of Mogis-ing my own Boros Reckoner after dumping half my deck (packed with Divinations, Jace's Ingenuity, and Steam Augury) into the grave!

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 15, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Veyrall posted:

I'm genuinely not seeing what's bad about it. It looks like a robot. Not particularly cool, but what makes it bad?

It is made with the same poo poo CG style as Gild. I'm sure if you took that picture and blew it up to its native resolution like Gild, it would look like the most flat, low effort, piece of poo poo robot. Just be glad it isn't in motion or it would look like a bad Alpha Centauri cutscene.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pfft. You guys play at scrubby LGSs. We start our drafts at 10:30 after all the YuGiOh kids get kicked out. :unsmigghh:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

Talk like that makes me very scared because now I have to get rid of my Cryptic Command RIGHT THIS SECOND! :tinfoil:

Edit: Also, the Red Deck is called Built From Scratch.

Who was a planeswalker and also liked to build poo poo?

Don't care if it was literally 3 minutes it still happened.

I don't know. They reprinted the red and white Commands in Commander 2013 with no Cryptic reprint. They're probably doing black and green this time around.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Madmarker posted:

No, this is:

So, is there any sideboard space in W/x decks for this? It is a great hoser for preventing your opponent's Rhinos and Rocs from blocking lest they get locked out of their finishers.

Fake edit: I don't the answer is no. :(

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Random Standard Point: Is it just me, or is Flamespeaker Adept looking like a ridiculously good choice for 3 drop now despite no one running it? It has 3 toughness, so it can't be drowned, jetted, or sprayed, and there are a plethora of red scry effects in use now (primarily Titan's Strength and your own jets, but also loving Spite of Mogis and Bolt of Keranos which no one is running for some reason despite the lack of good removal now). Then you get scry lands. The first strike is killer since no one has first strikers right now. Any scry effect lets it safely attack into Brimaz, Courser, Stormbreath Dragon, and Wingmate Roc, and it kills Rhinos with a single Magma Jet. Seriously, I could see a deck that is basically:

4 x Monastery Swiftspear
4 x Seeker of the Way
4 x Sigiled Skink
4 x Flamespeaker Adept

4 x Magma Jet
2 x Bolt of Keranos
4 x Titan's Strength
2 x God's Willing
2 x Spite of Mogis
4 x Chained to the Rocks
4 x Lightning Strike
1 x Fated Conflagration

4 x Temple of Triumph
4 x Mana Confluence
4 x Battlefield Forge
9 x Mountain

And you get more good White cards for your sideboard against larger or more controlling decks.

Edit: After thinking for a bit, you could probably loving splash Shivan Reefs and Temples of Epiphany for Treasure Cruise (over Dig Through Time), a couple Aqueous Form, and some of the better Jeskai cards. :v:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 31, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jabor posted:

Why would I pay three mana for three damage at sorcery speed when I can get the same thing at instant speed for 2? Scrying is good, but not that good.

The idea is to play both since 3 is a pretty big threshold right now for creature destruction.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Rules question: There is a round of priority between First Strike damage and normal damage, right? Like if any effects trigger upon damage being dealt (or gaining life off a lifelinked first striker), you can react to it, right?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zemyla posted:

You can't remove first strike from a creature or give them double strike to allow them to hit again at this point, however. But you can ninjutsu a creature with first strike and give the ninja a whack at them too.

Yeah. I was asking primarily about Altac Bloodseeker. If a first striker takes out an opponent's guy, she still gets the +2/+0, but it will be dealt as normal damage. Interesting with the above quote, you can give a creature double strike, they will just have missed their chance to get first strike damage in. If they were originally a first striker, they will have been considered having already completed their attack for that battle phase and thus won't trigger normal damage.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Applebees posted:

Here's the rule.

Huh. Well, I lost a game I shouldn't have, then. Good to know.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
:fap: Holy poo poo, I'm building that Jeskai Heroic Combo deck. It is the perfect mix of everything I love playing in Magic. Stupid synergies, weenies, and my three favorite colors.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Entropic posted:

Ooh, I just noticed Hybrid Mana is back.

Looks like they're just using it for effects, not mana costs. So, no new devotion shenanigans.

As for the new setting, it looks like we'll be seeing the predecessors of each of the 5 khans each being their clan's primary color with a hybrid effect that runs off the clan's ally color.

We were all bitching about color pie violations earlier. It's nice to see green get treason on a stick that is better than red's treason on a stick. :argh:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
:pcgaming: Jeskai Heroic Combo Deck! :pcgaming:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 2, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

XyrlocShammypants posted:

So allowing his opponent to Scry really did lose him the game...

That's exactly what I was thinking. And he also untapped his helix'd guy for him at the end game.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

qbert posted:

I disagree. Jen clearly built his deck taking that card into account. It only takes a single instant to protect all his non-Crusader/token creatures against that card. Sure, you've killed his 1/1 and the tokens it made, but it's a situational board wipe at best.

Yeah. I think Cedric was overstating how useful Doomwake Giant was in the G/B match up. They saw him combo out with no board on turn 5 after dropping an ascendancy. The board wipes are just a hindrance since he can go off late game out of no where. I honestly think the sub sligh style decks would be best against it because they hit hard, fast, and can pressure him to chump block early game. It is obvious that durdly Courser decks have a bad match up against this thing due to how little their early walls matter.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mango sentinel posted:

A big barrier to me liking Kamigawa was that it felt like 90% of the creatures were 3/3s or worse for like 6 or 7 mana.

I didn't play back then, but I can only imagine that Bushido just made creature combat worthless. Why block unless you were straight about to die?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wadjamaloo posted:

It only takes 7 proper riffle shuffles to randomize a deck, this is why people that pile shuffle are the devil.

It takes 7 proper riffle shuffles to sufficiently randomize a standard 52 card deck. 60 card decks require 9.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zoness posted:

My hands are too small to mash shuffle but horizontal riffles are easy enough, even with double sleeved cards.

Double sleeved 100 card decks on the other hand are a huge struggle.

I generally split my EDH deck into two 50-ish card piles. Riffle shuffle the top halves of both piles together. Repeat for the bottom halves. The two newly shuffled piles become your new 50-ish card piles. Repeat this process 4 - 5 times.

If it is an in-game shuffle, I'll probably just do a quick mash and have my opponents do a multi-layered cut.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Chamale posted:

Or Gitaxian Probe.

This format is so bizarre that it's fun to think about. Is a huge pile of Moxen even good when someone might try to shut you down with Null Rod? Do you have enough card draw to always find your 1 copy of Death Wish and get whatever you need from the sideboard?

All Moxen mana base? Chalice of the Void. :getin:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

I'm glad I don't have to go to whatever lovely places you guys do. Really am.

We have at most one anime playmat and one anime sleeve man.

Nobody is misogynistic (at least out loud), and pretty much everyone is on board with being chill and cool with females being in the store.

That's not to say lovely people don't exist but at the very least I don't have to deal with them.

Amen to that. My FNMs are in a literal anime merchandise store, and we don't get anyone near as goony as what you motherfuckers describe. gently caress, the "creepiest" person in the group is probably the girlfriend of one of our regulars who freely admits to writing slash fanfiction and manages to pull at least 2 mythics every time she drafts with us. :argh:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

On the topic of blue, how many mono-blue heroes are there? I'm trying to think of blue values that gel well with heroism, but I can't think of any. Blue more than any other color seems to be preoccupied with understanding, puzzling out and subtly manipulating than actually going out and performing heroic feats. Blue feels too passive for that. That inward focus seems to be something blue shares with black.

For that matter, what would a good mono-blue villain be? Jin-Gitaxias is I guess about as evil as most Phyrexian praetors, and I'm not really familiar with his story. But it seems like his ideals have more to do with propelling the Phyrexian race towards perfection through techno-magical means rather than through evolution (c.f. Vorinclex), which is not in itself a particularly villainous goal. At least, y'know, if you ignore the whole "Phyrexia is a horrible blight on any plane it touches" bit. But, then again, I guess most villains wouldn't consider themselves villains in the first place. So is the blue villain just someone too caught up in their obsessions to respect others?

I would probably say Sun Quan is a hero. Maybe? Venser has a mono-U card, but he's been shown to really be U/W. Arcum Dagsson?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Sure, I'll hop on the deck train:

Standard: B/W good stuffs. Similar to the list Brad Nelson played a couple weeks ago. I cut the lands down by one and diversified the removal suite and walker compliment a little. It is amazingly consistent and has so much life gain that I can damage race pretty much every deck out there.

Modern: I technically don't have the deck fully built, but I have all the expensive parts to modern burn. I just need a couple Grim Lavamancers and most of the pre-Innestrad commons.

Legacy: gently caress that noise. Give me a free mana base, and I'll think about it.

EDH: Jor Kadeen and Muzzio, Visionary Architect. Jor is my"70%" deck for when I don't expect to go against super try-hard decks. Muzzio is my A-tier and for me, is more of a game of how many artifacts can I poo poo out by the time the group hates me out than anything else. It is near impossible to play politics with the deck and still have it do it's thing. Fun poo poo, though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Right, ONE deck can do that still.

I'm still waiting for Agent of the Fates to become a thing. :(

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I would say, in general, control decks require a player to know their opponent's deck more than an aggro deck. Aggro decks requires a player to know their own deck more.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Sarkhan. The best non-dragon dragon.

Alternatively, Scion of the Ur-Dragon because he is EVERY dragon. :getin:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
After this weekend, I'm honestly convinced that Tom Ross is probably the best Magic player on the planet. He might not be ranked #1, but I haven't seen anyone else with so finely tuned an ability to read his opponent and think X turns ahead while just being an overall chill dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
You want scary equipment EDH decks? I run Jor motherfucking Kadeen, and he is a beast when he gets a Sword or two on him. Here is my list.

• Locked thread