Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Count Bleck posted:

As expected, the lands still in standard go up and I'm so glad I have all mine.

Confluence is probably going up too.

Already did, tcg average is up to $17 now. Some of the less used temples were $1 before and now they're all up. Glad I got confluences when they were a little under $10. I got caryatids when they were a few dollars too and recently traded them all away before they drop again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Deflecting palm wins another game, might end up being a pretty real card in tempo or control decks.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

KidDynamite posted:

Hey new thread someone please link the 5 proxies on one card site. I need to get my Saito testing on.

Can you link to saito's new brews?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Gensuki posted:

I think you might want to hold on to Sorin? All I hear from people who play with Sarkhan is that he's a worse Storm Breath Dragon. Sorin at least has a niche to fill besides being Storm Breath 5-8?

Then again, Sorin might be replacable by Erebos' whip, I don't play much standard...

Sarkhan only gets that comparison because of the cost and his p/t when he transforms. Stormbreaths and sarkhan are both good for similar but still different reasons. Sorin is also not terrible as a top end for aggro decks but I dont think anyone expects either to stay as high as they are.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So has anyone had any luck with mardu aggro or midrange decks or is control looking like the way to go for those colors? I can't decide which route to try first.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

qbert posted:

Mardu Midrange did come in 2nd at the New Jersey SCG Open. Could start there.

Oh duh I forgot about that.

Aggro seems to inconsistent with three colors, I agree. I playtested an updated monoblack aggro against someones new temur monsters deck and won at least 75% of the games. It's just a very reliable curve and beatdown and booksoaked champ is great.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

I think Mogis's Marauder is secretly the most blow-out-ey 3-drop in the format right now.

I used to be a doubter of that card, and now I run 4. If you can do back to back marauders on turns 3 and 4, you've probably won. That deck gained about as much as it lost and it's still really good. Grim haruspex might deserve a maindeck slot too.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Went 4-0-1 with mono-black aggro at fnm last night, but lost in game 3 of my first top 8 match. Deck is real good, and the sideboard got a lot more interesting with khans. Super good in the current meta where every is playing slow wedge decks.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Does Sarkhan stop being a planeswalker while he's a dragon? Will using Ajani Steadfast's -2 give a +1'd Sarkhan both a loyalty counter and a +1/+1 counter?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Brownhat posted:

Somebody forgot that Fated Conflagration exists.

I'm not sure fated conflagration is a playable card in sligh/aggro decks, which is what's being discussed, but it may be a reasonable answer for the more land-heavy red decks. The red deck popular around here right now uses 16 or 17 land.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Lord Of Texas posted:

He's a classic "bad guy with legitimate point"

What's his legitimate point though? That Americans are fat? He's complaining on facebook about the free food provided to him, food that was probably paid for by the store or the TO. He shouldn't be punished but now at least everyone will know he's a bit of an rear end in a top hat.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Y'all are nuts, black and red aggro decks are still very good, though I think black is better right now. Black has a good removal suite and good sideboard options, and all the popular 3 color decks open fairly slow due to taplands. I havent been able to play against jeskai tempo locally, but I probably have a 60-70% winrate against my local meta, which is mosty netdecked abzan midranges, monogreens, and a few sultai control. Jeskai tempo seems like it would be a rough matchup though.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

jassi007 posted:

It is good, but there are a lot of easy answers for the green midrange decks to splash. Green midrange is usually paired with black or red. Both colors right now have the premium anti-aggro sweepers. I've been smacked around by black aggro, but I've also given it an absolute beating. Really depends on the draws. I've been working on my GR monsters board, right now I'm going 3 crater's claws maindeck, 2 setessan tactics 3 arc lightning as sideboard. Tactics is a fun card against aggro, it is usually at least a 2 for 1 if not better with caryatid and courser happily punching out most of their dudes.

This is all true, and I think the G/x matchups are pretty dependant on hitting answers on time for both sides. I don't think it's accurate for people to say that aggro is suddenly bad though. It's a fun and fast deck that got a few really fun new sideboard cards, and is way more affordable for players who cant buy in to the new manabases.

That said, I will be trying a mardu walkers control deck this week that currently costs more than any of my modern decks. Standard can be pretty stupid.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Count Bleck posted:

I mean doesn't new standard hype always do this?

Yeah I guess, just feels worse this year than it did last year I guess. So many nonbasics that it seems hard/expensive to try a new deck of you weren't prepared.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

The Wicked Wall posted:

Feeling a little uneasy that the thread seems to be consigning monoblack to a cold grave after I traded unused fetches and other bits and pieces for an entire monoblack aggro deck, but at least I now have a fairly playable deck for society events and FNMs!

However, did have a couple of questions though for those who play monoblack much:

1. How do you deal with Courser reliably? Caryatid I know you can Bile Blight out, but is there a decent way of killing it off quickly without having to throw dudes into its annoying face? A friend suggested sideboarding Stab Wounds to make them less safe to have out, though that doesn't seem to deal with the whole 'lands as far as the eye can see' problem.

2. How many of the hand reveal/discard spells should I be running mainboard? I don't have Thoughtseizes right now but I do have 2 Despises, and they've done work so far. I get that Thoughtseize is usually considered better except against the fastest of aggro/burn decks, but is there a case for running 2 mainboard each and 2 sideboard and swapping around as needed?

3. Opinions on Mardu Skullhunter and Master of the Feast? So far being able to Bloodsoaked/Scarhide/Tormented Hero T1 into T2 raided Skullhunter has been pretty good, but I'm wondering if running another good monoblack card in its place is worth it (Spiteful Returned?). Master of the Feast has my circle of friends and society group in an exact 50/50 split between 'absolutely necessary' and 'avoid like the plague', so am interested to gauge what the thread response is to it.

Thanks in advance!

1. Mogis' Marauder and hero's downfall, then bestowing gnarled scarhides and heralds. Thoughtseize and despise in early turns as well.

2. At least 4. Thoughtseize is better if you're playing aggro because you can snatch board wipers like drown and anger as well as caryatids and coursers, but despise is a good substitute. I am currently running 4 Thoughtseize in the main and 4 despise in the side, and I swap them around based on the matchup. Green decks with lots of fat butts get despises sided in.

3. Skullhunter bad, master good. Skullhunter is a bad conditional discard of your opponents choice and you're better off dropping a pain seer or two 1-drops on turn 2. A lot of decks are currently too slow to avoid taking a hit from master, plus he'll be the only dude in your deck that avoids drown/anger. I currently run 4 heralds/2 master in the main, with two more in the side for decks that can't handle fliers. It's been working out really well.

Don't give up on the deck just yet, I've had a lot of success with it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
The decks are super similar but I'll post my list since the boards are different: https://deckbox.org/sets/792068

Most notably, I'm a fan of empty the pits against control decks.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
If an equipment, namely Ghostfire Blade, is enchanted by ensoul artifact, does it lose it's ability to equip to things?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Dang. Testing out that Mono-U Robots standard decklist that top 8'd in Japan. It's actually a pretty fun deck.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Wouldnt be surprised to see a few more empty the pits hit the table. That card is so good and I'm not sure why it's so cheap right now.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

Thing is most decks aren't going to want a full playset, right?

True, it's probably a 2-of at best. It was $2-3 when I got some 2 weeks ago and it's still only at 5.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
All these villainous wealth brews could probably win more I if they just swapped all the wealths out for pits. I think it might shape up to be a completely legit wincon for control decks.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Sorin is up to $39 tcg mid :shepspends: I wonder how long this value bubble can last.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Is there a way to build a deck on modo without having the cards yet? Like I want to build the deck and see it visually so I know what cards I need to go get from trading. I thought there was a way to do it and it would mark the cards you don't have but I don't know how.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Used despise on a guy in an 8-4 draft on MODO last night, and he immediately responded by telling me I couldn't take anything so to hurry it up. Told him I was just typing them down and he proceeded to send several annoying messages about why it was unnecessary and to stop wasting time.

Fast forward 45 minutes, and he loses by timeout. I topdecked a wingmate roc so he wouldn't have won anyway, but the irony made it so much better.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Chill la Chill posted:

That would feel like a great comeuppance story except it's MTGO so it could just be the guy got disconnected and bugged out. :)

No, he was desperately attacking and f6'ing up until the very end :)

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
My local store is starting an ante league next week. Rules are you pick 6 boosters from any set that the store will have or attempt to order. All 6 boosters have to be from different sets, you make a sealed deck that you have to leave at the store, and each week you can buy a new booster from any set. At the start of any league match, you shuffle, flip the top, and that's your ante. So, what would be the most fun packs to pick? I was thinking about getting Lorwyn and Morningtide, maybe an m11, and then a few cheap recent ones because I'm not made of money. Any suggestions?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Hellsau posted:

Six packs from multicolored sets: the first Ravnica Block, the second Ravnica block, Shards block, and Khans. I assume the original Ravnica block is too expensive, but that still leaves seven sets for fun times.

Comedy answer Unglued Unhinged Portal Portal2 Portal3Kingdoms Starter.

Older boosters are expensive but I figured I'd treat myself to a couple of my choice. Currently at the store they have stuff all the way back to the dark/arabian nights, but it isn't for sale except for ante league players. And they already said no alpha/beta/p3k and un-sets.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

meanolmrcloud posted:

It's all fun and stuff opening old packs but most older sets have really really awfully unplayable junk up to and including the rares.

Yeah I expect several people to snatch up arabian nights anyway, I have no real interest in the old old sets myself. Just thinking about some sets I never got to draft, like lorwyn or zendikar block. I'll probably do mostly coresets anyways.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Olothreutes posted:

I don't know how much you trust the store, but isn't it a bad idea to buy loose packs from that long ago? I recall hearing that someone can figure out which rare is in the pack due to the booster wrapper being super thin, so you'll never get any Libraries or Bazaars, just every elephant graveyard ever.

I actually do trust the guys there and I've never had a reason not to. For all I know the packs they're ordering could have been mapped, but I don't think they would do it themselves. They're making money selling these old packs to us. I do know that the older the set, the easier it is to map, so I personally wouldn't spend all that extra money on old packs. Plus most of the cards from those sets were terrible.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

alphabrawl posted:

Well, that kinda stinks. I was hoping to cash out on everything I own; the only Magic I play now is limited and my home Pauper league. I guess I'll just have to deal with a lower return from a vendor for asking cash. Thanks for the info!

Lots of us in the trading/buying thread would probably buy your collection as a whole or buy individual cards for more than youd get from a vendor if you feel like posting a list or some pics there.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mango sentinel posted:

Mirrodin Block, Fallen Empires, Rise of the Eldrazi, Magic 2011.

I thought about mirrodin block, doing that and scars block together. Also thinking that doing ravnica and rtr blocks together could be fun. Colorless or multicolor, either would be fun.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Zoness posted:

On a side note: do you pick packs one at a time, like do you open one and pick your next, or do you pick 6 at once?

Because then I'd try to set aside a few to look at how much fixing you want and stuff like that.

Pick all the packs at once. My main issue is balancing which packs to get vs actual cost. Old mirrodin block/darksteel had some good stuff but I'm sure you pay a premium for the pack. I thought about doing all ravnica because the newer block is still cheap and the older block isn't terribly expensive and would go well with it. Plus guildgates at common in the packs to help with fixing.

I can't remember the exact rules but periodically during the months of the league we are allowed to buy a new booster to add to our pool, and after the initial six the boosters we buy don't have to be unique.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Crusaderking posted:

Went 3-1 tonight at FNM with mono-black aggro. Should I run master of the feast? The 5/5 flyer is cool, but the "draw a card" thing is giving me hives.

Yes, at least 2 in the main. I also kept 2 in the side. The 5 toughness is very relevant in that it typically requires at least 2 burn spells to kill and has to be answered or it can take over a game. Stops stormbreaths and sarkhans from attacking as well. Even if they draw a card, 5 damage is a lot when you drop a mogis marauder the following turn.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

Mantis I'm not too worried about, it's like it's extra weak to Bile Blight since the haste gets it played ahead of combat.

Rhino, yeah, such good value. Mardu charm's discard mode? Rhino does helpfully get played with Courser so you can catch it in the draw step. I'm running a couple of Hushwing Griff too, which also disables Wingmate Roc's Raid effect.

I am seriously considering adjusting my mardu walker sideboard to include maybe 2 hushwing gryffs. Abzan midrange is everywhere and the hushwing nerfing rhino and roc seems like it would make a big difference.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Chill la Chill posted:

Won 7-1 to get the champs playmat. 12 packs. Opened first one: foil GW fetch and BR fetch. Didn't want to open the rest, but glad I did instead of trading them away. Sarkhan, rhino, ascendancy, utter end, death dealer.

Mardu control fits a sweet niche (a nice fit?) that kills red aggro and Jeskai easily while 1-for-1 junk all day. I love this deck.

Post your list? I like to compare mine vs others. Currently my mainboard is creature-less and heavy on walkers. I got to playtest against jeskai tempo this week and also found that matchup to be fairly comfortable.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Chill la Chill posted:

This list: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=8278&d=247579&f=ST
+ confluence
-Urborg (lots of junk decks that also run their own Urborg)
-3 Sarkhan
+3 wing mate roc
- thoughtseize
+despise
-empty the pits
+ soul of Innistrad. It's ok but i just didn't like 2 pits in there. Might try Sarkhan in that slot but I actually don't like him right now. He doesn't kill rhinos and trading him for a courser is disgusting.
Played Jeskai twice, mono red twice, Mardu "aggro" (blood champ engine and ash cloud which is really bad in the mirror), and junk 3 times. Lost to junk once due to the siege train rolling in. The only real problem this deck has is that stupid death dealer. It's usually a 2-1 unless you have an utter end.

Ah ok thats way different than the walker control I'm running.

Do you like mardu charm? I'm not sold on it. I can't imagine wanting it over a downfall or crackling doom very often, but I guess the tokens are good with butcher?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Searching over ebay for card deals like I enjoy doing periodically and made the mistake of searching for zendikar lands. Probably 50-75% of the listings are altered full arts covered by big titty anime girls. Does anyone actually buy those things? I guess I shouldn't be surprised since there's always a couple people at the local shop with similar sleeves and playmats, it just never ceases to amaze me.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Ith posted:

Other than the occasional Paramore I have found his taste in music FAR better than most twitch streamers.

Numot plays decent music. SCGdoc does too, lots of classic rock. I'm not a fan of the techno/vgm remixes a lot of streamers use, but twitch does mute replays that use licensed music so I can understand it a bit.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
40 is the minimum for limited formats. It's still 60 cards for regular magic that you're used to.

And dark confident is arguably one of the best creatures printed in the game. I know you disagree with a lot of the reasoning, but you kinda just need to play and see for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Saw someone running siege rhino in a modern junk deck on MODO tonight. They also splashed at least 1 island for treasure cruise, in a deck that had goyfs.

Also seems like 75% of my matches tonight were against some variation of U/R Pyrodelver. Already kinda tired of seeing that deck now.

• Locked thread