Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Aside from everything else mentioned, some people just naturally have strong opinions on all kinds of stuff. Whether their strong opinions are justified is another thing, but people with well-reasoned opinions only holding them weakly due to a lack of confidence is not exactly good either.

In the specific case of the Scottish Independence Referendum, I can understand why you might not have a strong opinion on it. The referendum wasn't just about a single policy issue, it was about several, and how much confidence you had in independence actually resulting in meaningful change. Even if you strongly believed in the justness of one of the proposed views of what an independent Scotland could be, if you believed remaining part of the Uk would be about as (un)likely to create a similar sort of society then there really wouldn't be much reason to get all excited.

Nessus posted:

You also have to look at your own ethical and moral beliefs. For instance I feel that the complete legal equality of sexes, races, religions and sexual identities is a very valuable and important thing, and would be worth doing even if (somehow) there was demonstration of economic harms that come from it (there is not, to my knowledge, any such, but I mean as a hypothetical.)
Equality between men and women actually might result in reduced inter-generational income elasticity, by increasingly allowing men in the upper end of income to find women of similar means. Basically, male doctors used to marry female nurses, and now they're marrying other doctors.

I do agree though that this is not a reason to oppose social equality. It's not exactly fair to to condemn one half of the population to a few specific jobs for lower pay, just to reduce some other metric, especially one that is a far more strongly affected by other poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Craptacular! posted:

That said, "strong" political positions are ultimately flawed, since you should at least be willing to consider a situation that could cause you to change your beliefs. If you can't think of when you're ever going to be wrong, you're a blowhard with a pet issue, not unlike the pundits that contribute nothing to debate.
I don't think strong and unyielding are the same thing. I'm strongly in favor of nuclear power as a least-bad practical solution to our energy needs, but if I were to be presented with credible evidence that undermined the reasons for that support then I would happily drop it, I just don't think it's likely. (Which is why I strongly support it.)

• Locked thread