Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Strong political opinions usually stem from whichever values you hold in highest regard. There's a lot of people who follow politics like they do sports, and they get bogged down in partisanship. So a lot of people take solace in their political party handing them an opinion on whatever issue, and so their core value is loyalty to whichever party they subscribe to.

As a person interested in facts and reality, however, you probably shouldn't do that. Doing some soul searching and figuring out what your core values are will lead you to more strongly-held political opinions. It took me a while, but eventually I settled on my core values being feminism and every person's right to basic human necessities.

So I have very very strong opinions when it comes to things like universal healthcare, dismantling male privilege, and dismantling societal gender roles. There's other things that aren't as large a part of my core values, though. I don't care so much about animal rights, for instance, but I will admit that I have ethical issues with certain kinds of animal testing that amount to abuse. I also think we probably should be raising livestock responsibly and not mistreating animals. I'm not sure how I feel about protectionism and tariffs. I don't hold my opinions about those things as strongly, and they shift based on circumstances and new information.

It's completely okay to not have strong opinions about everything, but you should try to hold opinions about your core values as strongly as possible.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread