Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Football?
This poll is closed.
A harsh mistress 26 18.06%
A hate-verse allergic to love 14 9.72%
A flayer of souls 28 19.44%
A wait at the DMV that ends with a surly attendant telling you that you don't have the right documents 76 52.78%
Total: 144 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Korranus posted:

Yup. The Schnellenberger Parrot Bowl is always a barn burner and Oregon's always watchable.

NCAA Week 6 GDT: Hoke Clears Devon Walker to Start for Michigan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Prosopagnosiac posted:

Yes, and although he is an Ole Miss Alum he is from Atlanta originally and currently lives in Nashville. He's pretty well connected to a lot of people in sports journalism and has reported from football games all over the country. I follow him on Twitter, and read his articles when he was still writing for our campus newspaper the Daily Mississipian. He's always had a...conflicted relationship with the Ole Miss athletic department, he did a guest column criticizing Coach Ed Orgeron that was pretty funny: http://www.thelocalvoice.net/TLV-pages/columns/stevengodfrey/SG-TLV34.php

That said, while I'm glad that this investigation is not related to the current team, I'm under no illusions about how things work down here, and the rest of the country for that matter. I'd just like us to have one or two really good seasons before the other shoe inevitably drops.

Also, everyone should follow Godfrey on Twitter, he's not an SEC homer, and he's generally doing some of the best journalism on college football right now.

He wouldn't remember me but I went to school with him and his sister both. He's always been a good journalist and writer, even when he was on the otherwise lovely school paper. His current work is really good. I also doubt he would be reckless or careless enough to put that article out there if it in any way point people towards a particular school - Ole Miss or otherwise.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

"Didn't know the second part of the Stanford Prison Experiment was locking yourself inside the red zone and starving to death."

:vince:

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Stunt Rock posted:

He wouldn't remember me but I went to school with him and his sister both. He's always been a good journalist and writer, even when he was on the otherwise lovely school paper. His current work is really good. I also doubt he would be reckless or careless enough to put that article out there if it in any way point people towards a particular school - Ole Miss or otherwise.

Yeah, I completely forgot about him but he was probably the best thing about the DM while I was there. Need to start following his stuff now.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

quote:

Of former Army quarterback Trent Steelman and former Navy safety Wave Ryder, you have perhaps already heard. But did you know: Wave has a little brother, current Navy center Blaze Ryder, and Air Force boasts a defensive back named Weston Steelhammer

Weston Steelhammer!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Scarf posted:

NCAA Week 6 GDT: Hoke Clears Devon Walker to Start for Michigan

NCAA Week 6 GDT: David Ash to transfer to Michigan for more playing time

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 2, 2014

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

kayakyakr posted:

NCAA Week 6 GDT: Davis Ash to transfer to Michigan for more playing time

NCAA Week 6 GDT: What We Have Here Is a Failure To Communicate

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
NCAA Week 6: Shane Morris suits up for Basketball.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

kayakyakr posted:

NCAA Week 6 GDT: Davis Ash to transfer to Michigan for more playing time

OOOOOOOOH I like this.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
It's David Ash.

e: the more I look at that, the less "David" looks like a real name

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Zoran posted:

It's David Ash.

e: the more I look at that, the less "David" looks like a real name

Oops. In my defense, I've had a lot of Davis's on my team and the letter s is only one to the left of d.

e: also, I've found that to be the case of most English words. Look at them long enough and you say, "what the hell kind of word is that?"

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

pillsburysoldier posted:

No not that Alabama ordered a hit. More that conference play is starting and ole miss has been kinda cagey for a while, and visits in earnest for "must play in the SEC" type recruits are starting.

Ah, I misunderstood.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

David Ash and Shane Morris star in The Headbangers Ball

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I keep watching that mashed vid of hoke slurring poo poo...

Brady Hoke is like a monosyllabic Shakespeare.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
NCAA Week 6 GDT: Candygram for Brady Hoke. Brady likes candy.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Groucho Marxist posted:

NCAA Week 6 GDT: Candygram for Brady Hoke. Brady likes candy.

This would work a lot better if Michigan were playing Iowa, since Mongo was a lineman for the Hawkeyes.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

GDT: Hoke likes QB brains like his eggs: Scrambled.

Alternatively:

GDT: This is your brain. This is your brain on Hoke.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 2, 2014

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

NCAA GDT: Michigan offers free tickets to anyone who buys a Hoke

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Emron posted:

lmao

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
GDT: Have a Hoke and Smiggrrrlblelble...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Emron posted:

hahahahaha

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Emron posted:

:laffo:

We have a winner.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Scarf posted:

GDT: Have a Hoke and Smiggrrrlblelble...

I'd like to think you were going to finish this with "Have a Hoke and a Smile and Shut the gently caress Up" but then you saw the "Free Tickets!" suggestion and gave up mid-word.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

NCAA GDT: Shane was dying at the end

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The uhm, NCAA ummm, GDT. For, uh, week...umm...6 uhm..

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I always thought you were guys were joking about Hoke's horrifying propensity of Um's and You Know's but then I watched a speech of his and holy poo poo

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

VDay posted:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

wheez the roux posted:

"Didn't know the second part of the Stanford Prison Experiment was locking yourself inside the red zone and starving to death."

:vince:
Florida State did nothing early and
then hastily slapped together a
result they hope nobody'll look too
closely at. That'll get you a
commendation at the Tallahassee
Police Department.

Heh

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2014/10/02/dave-brandon-michigan/16603053/

Dave Brandon posted:

"I don't think Brady deserves any blame for what happened on the sidelines," Brandon said. "Because Brady is responsible for coaching.

"Our medical staff, which incorporates all of our trainers, our physicians -- it's a rather large complement of people down there -- their job is to notify the coaches if a situation occurs where either somebody needs to come off the field or somebody cannot go back on the field."

The "No one told him Morris was potentially really injured" is the equivalent of the NFL's "We didn't see video of what happened inside the elevator" defense.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

He says, forgetting that his lummox head coach doesn't wear a loving headset

Snodgrass Supreme
Nov 6, 2012

VDay posted:

This one

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

VDay posted:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2014/10/02/dave-brandon-michigan/16603053/

The "No one told him Morris was potentially really injured" is the equivalent of the NFL's "We didn't see video of what happened inside the elevator" defense.

Safety is part of coaching, you dumb gently caress.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Emron posted:

The most beautiful choice of the puns. Also letting Hoke off by trying to say that he couldn't have known- if you get a pulled over or arrested by the cops, you can't plead ignorance. You are the head coach, the buck stops with you.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

The most beautiful choice of the puns. Also letting Hoke off by trying to say that he couldn't have known- if you get a pulled over or arrested by the cops, you can't plead ignorance. You are the head coach, the buck stops with you.

If this had been an isolated incident and post-game he'd just said, "Sorry, we screwed up," he probably would have been forgiven. As it is, it's the latest in a long series of incidents that show consistent disorganization and lack of situational awareness by the entire coaching staff. This sort of thing was inevitable in the Hoke regime.

Everything post-game is on Brandon, and the clusterfuck of the last 4 days is also an inevitable result of the way he does things. The sooner we're rid of both of them, the better.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I just learned from the Grantland week 6 preview that Air Force has a player named Weston Steelhammer.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

I just learned from the Grantland week 6 preview that Air Force has a player named Weston Steelhammer.

Army had Trent Steelman

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Double header tonight:

UCF vs Houston at 6:00 (CT)
Arizona vs Oregon at 9:30 (CT)

Also there is FAU vs FIU on FSN, if that's your thing.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

R.D. Mangles posted:

Army had Trent Steelman

I think Weston Steelhammer is just the latest in an escalating arms race between branches of the military to see which service academy can produce the most ridiculous speculative fiction hero names

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Declan MacManus posted:

I think Weston Steelhammer is just the latest in an escalating arms race between branches of the military to see which service academy can produce the most ridiculous speculative fiction hero names

Navy wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Air Force is going to counter with some kid name Blast Ramjet or Army will have Cannon Laserarm.

Can you imagine a member of the McCoy family entering the armed services? He'd end up with a name like Revolver Ocelot.

• Locked thread