Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Hurray, my title! :neckbeard:

Just unlocked Ruto about an hour ago, whats the deal with that water gauge? It seems like she might be pretty good, but I think I'm missing something critical. Seems like shes pretty good at killing weak points, but I haven't played her enough yet to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

the water gauge is for her X attack. she shoots waves at people that each take about a fourth of the gauge. And I think if it's full when you start the attack, she fires off a really large wave at the end.

LordHippman posted:

The water gauge activates when you hit Strong Attack (Y if you're using the Zelda controls, not sure with the other set), and makes Ruto into sort of a stationary turret where you can shoot really long range waves that push back enemies and do a good amount of damage. I find with a full gauge I can generally pull off 3 wave shots.

As a tip for Legend Mode, since I was an idiot and got killed a lot on this part, when you revisit the Temple of Souls and Volga is enchanted with Cia's dark power , DON'T RUSH HIM. Let Zelda finish talking to him first and he becomes much easier. Otherwise he'll take out most of your health in a single combo.

Cool, thanks. I'll have to take another crack at her later once I get a starred out weapon for her. That seems like it could be useful.

After buffing out Darunia's combos with Kokiri Swords, he's a lot better than I gave him credit for to start with. His weak gauge poo poo sucks hard though, I can almost never knock out the gauge in a single go with him- his attacks just come out too slow. Lotsa fun though. :v:

^^edit: The bow is definitely legit for those missions, that's how I get compasses whenever I need one. I can clear the first one with Lana in less than 2 minutes without taking damage. :eyepop:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Rocketlex posted:

Yeah. It's a shame the actual cutscenes don't play up this element of Cia's personality more, because she's potentially one of the most interesting (and creepiest) villains in Zelda history.

As lol as her design is, I actually like her alright. She's appropriately creepy. :shrug:

She also looks like a lot of fun to play, so do Volga and Wizro. Really there haven't been any characters so far that I don't like- I haven't been able to say that about any other Warriors game I've played. Honestly I think that the game benefits a lot from having a relatively small, tightly focused cast.

The special attack with Link's Gauntlets is the greatest ever, I can't use Seismic Toss enough. :v:

^edit: Never stop dodging until he uses the beam or the 360 bullet hell spam. His weak gauge after using either lasts a decently long time. Don't rely on blocking too much, he throws out a whole lot of hits.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 30, 2014

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Tecmo-Koei said they wanted to support the game for the long haul. Doubtful but maybe they'll do a second season pass or something.

"Season Pass" is kind of a misleading term, I don't think I've ever seen any game get more than one. Every game gets cancelled after one season like a FOX show. :v:

The boss update is supposed to be dropping tomorrow in Japan, but I haven't seen anything yet about when it's coming stateside. Anyone else know different?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Okay, I still don't loving get the elemental keeps in adventure mode! I go to the keep with the fairy in it, clear out the enemies, beat the Keep Boss, get the little "You've rescued the elemental fairy of [element]!" message, and I still take constant damage in the protected keeps! There are two different maps it's given me trouble on. Right now I'm in the bottom row, it's a forest stage you have to use a candle on and there's an A reward for Sheik, but besides the fact that the Mom Cucco is following me around and the end boss is the Dragon Knight himself, I take too much damage just tanking the keep and always get a B on that metric. :(

Pick up the fairy, it shows up on your item list along with your bow/bombs etc. Use it while you are inside the elemental fort.

edit: beaten :argh:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
It's a lot easier to guess what characters/weapons we'll get in the Majora's Mask pack. If the TP one isn't humanoid Midna it's probably going to end up being somebody I'll only remember after I see a picture. :v:

edit: I actually thought that Agitha was also a HW original character until I looked it up. :downs:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

LordHippoman posted:

It's okay, I saw her and was like "Wow, young Zelda has a WEIRD design in this game." Then I saw the screenshots and remembered "Oh, the bug girl! Really?"

I like Agitha being in the game, though. (Even though I haven't unlocked her) Opens the doors for all kinds of ridiculous minor characters for DLC. Speaking of which, my initial bets for the 3 unknowns are King Bulbin from TP (or Wolf Link if they decide to go :effort:) and Skull Kid/Tingle for MM.

I'd be cool with Tingle, but my heart lies with the Happy Mask Salesman. :allears:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

DrPaper posted:

designs no more weird than some other female villains in the series, like Twinrova and Veran.

Or the Great Fairy. Huh. I guess I'm just blinded by nostalgia.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Ah, so that's how they get you. You get Cia and Pals for free, but you want their third tier weapons? You gotta get on that Master Quest swag, son.

I'm not complaining though, that's an assload of content in the first pack alone. I wasn't expecting the new Legend stages either, I only knew about the Adventure map. I just wish that the new adventure map wasn't still using the same TLZ1 plan. Not a big deal, just a little disappointing.

Gonna go ahead and take the plunge on the pass I think, poo poo is looking good.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Pokemon/Tekken.

Pokemon/Tekken.

I'm speechless.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

I can't do the combo name because when it first happened, I put that into Google and got some real bad image search results. :v:

Oh. Oh no the baby, why did I look!? :gonk:

edit: To keep anyone else from looking, Pokken is evidently the Dutch word for smallpox. The image results are what you'd expect.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 30, 2014

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Mayheim posted:

Where does Hyrule Warriors fit into this timeline?

The timeline where The Hero Fails Out of Hyschool and Joins the Army.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

mabels big day posted:

Now let's see Darunia do that.

It's too bad you can't do this with characters that only have one weapon, cause I want to see him bellyflopping around with Ruto's or Fi's moveset. :allears:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Not sure if this was posted already but..
http://toragame.com/zelda_musou/adventure/map_black.php

This lets you see where to use the items in for all the adventure mode squares.

sweet, this needs to go in the OP

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I haven't seen a video of it, but I really want to see Lana using Link's Gauntlets. :black101:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Woah. If you click and drag on the gamepads touchscreen you can select your items from a touchwheel. That's actually really, really useful.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Ganondorf is a stone-cold badass, and might be my favorite character yet. Whoever had the problem in his first stage with the Gold Skulltula popping up too early because you're just owning too hard, I feel your pain.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Starhawk64 posted:

I think there were Gundam Warriors games. F-Zero Warriors would be awesomesauce.

At least 3 of them, it's basically it's own series at this point.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Rirse posted:

If they add in the Wario family of characters, then they might have a decent library of heroes.

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Donkey Kong
Wario
Waluligi
Daisy
Mona
Ashley
8-Bit
Yoshi
...and more.

While along with Bowser can use the other final bosses or the Koopalings as other enemies.

I can't wait to play a hollow-eyed thousand-yard-stare Toad chuffing on a bubble pipe and occasionally recounting his stories of the last Mushroom War, where his lady Pauline met with an awful fate. :stare:

^^edit: Hard and Hero use the same pool of Skulltulas, as far as I know there is nothing you can get in Hero that you can't get in Hard. Aside from generally better drops.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 1, 2014

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Fire Emblem is the most obvious series to do a Warriors game with. I don't know what the hell you do with Metroid anymore. The space rail shooter is thoroughly covered by the space animals and isolation and solitude is too core to the game's concept to do like a 4X space strategy thing. You'd basically have to reinvent the series even to license it to somebody.

I wouldn't be at all to see a Fire Emblem Warriors a year or two down the line. There's already a cross-over coming, Hyrule Warriors got a really good reception, and Awakening is about as anime as games come so it's right up Koei-Tecmo's alley. I'd play the poo poo out of it.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So went to freeplay to grab 2 skulltalas on hard and I'm using the weapon it's asking, and taking next to no damage and I'm sitting on 1700 kills... can you not get them in freeplay?

Is it asking for Links sword? I made the mistake of using the Master Sword for that the first time, but I think it's asking for the Hylian Sword specifically. I ended up using the wooden 8-bit sword I got from beating Legends.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

mabels big day posted:

With the second skulltala thing in legend mode, you can use a higher level version of whatever weapon is displayed, right?

Yup, it just has to come from that category. Which is why the Master Sword doesn't work for Links sword requirement, but the 8-bit one does.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Who cares about the art style, I've already sent like 5000 Stalkids back to their graves using a loving 8-bit wooden sword. I think it's safe to say that the art style really doesn't account for much for the guys at Koei Tecmo.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Are we sure it's okay for me to be playing as Ganondorf? Because I'm not so certain. :stare:

It's always okay to play as Ganondorf. :geno:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I found the Skyward Sword one to be a bit easier than the others, but you get the hookshot from the Twighlight Princess route, which you need for some of the heart pieces in the other paths.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

B-but he's a monster.

I just used him for the first time on the level to unlock Agitha and he tore through it and A-ranked it effortlessly. One hit destroyed all enemy weak points. He exploded the entire battlefield.

im scared

hush, it's okay. Ganondorf is there for you, he'll make all the bad things go away :angel:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Ometeotl posted:

Can someone explain how to use the fairies that protect you from damaging keeps after you save them?

After you pick them up, they're added to your item iventory. Just use it inside the right elemental fort. It's crossed out if you're anywhere else, so you can't accidentally misuse it.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Ometeotl posted:

See, that's what I figured, but it's not there.

Then you didn't pick it up. You can't just capture the fort, you have to pick it up from the middle of the fort after you capture it.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Ometeotl posted:

Yup, not there either. The game said "You saved a fairy of light" or whatever, but it's not in that keep or in my inventory.

Huh. It should be there. Maybe it disappears if you leave the fort before picking it up? :confused:

edit: I think that's it actually, I remember forgetting to pick it up on one of the adventure maps, going back, and not finding it there. You just have to remember to grab it before you leave.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Ometeotl posted:

Well, even with having to tank a couple hearts worth of damage in the evil keep and running and clearing every keep on the map needlessly, I still got straight A's on that map, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Whatever works. :shrug: Just make sure you pick it up immediately next time it comes up.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Metrohunter posted:

The second twilight stage in legend mode is kicking my butt.
My base gets overrun by lieutenants by the time I kill the dragon and Zant enters the battle, but I can't find a good opportunity to break off from objectives and capture some keeps since most of the level is the dragon bombarding your base I:

Maybe I should just capture all the available keeps on the level before I go to the first keep and the bridges collapse, requiring me to get the hookshot and starting the chain of objectives.

The best way to handle that one is by ignoring the command to capture the two keeps at the beginning, and instead focusing on fortifying your half of the map. There's a keep and an outpost to the southwest that you should take first, also the two on the west side. The objectives can wait pretty much indefinitely, but taking those early on will give you a whole lot more breathing room.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Gargonovitch posted:

Really enjoying this game a lot more than I thought I would, but if the next Zelda game's voice acting consists exclusively of Japanese girls awkwardly breathing air into a mic like this game, I might have a loving rage stroke. Lana is tons of fun to play as, but I want to mute my TV every time she shows up in a cutscene.

When the 1.3 update drops you'll be able to turn off the boss entrance animations under options. I like them for the most part, but I'll probably end up temporarily turning them off when I get stuck on an adventure mode stage.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Zant owns so hard, I wish I unlocked him earlier. :stare:

And now, Smash *does sheik fade*

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Twilight Princess character got revealed

Oh my. Whats going on there, did Darunia just happen to get whacked so that it looks like hes riding the wolf for the pic? Or did somebody find a way to swap movesets on characters who don't have multiple weapon types? :aaa:

edit: I think there still isn't any news on the free update, could drop the same day as Master Quest. That wouldn't bother me too much, by then everybody is gonna be beefy and I'm gonna want to go about getting her unlockable weapons.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 3, 2014

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Oh ganondorf, it doesn't rain indoors :allears:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Is it just me, or is Zant really, really bad at hitting weakpoints? I was trying to A-rank one of the stages near the starting point on the Adventure map, both to get a Heart Container for him and to break into the Brown Squares to go and grab Ghirahim. It's the one where you have to kill two Dodongos. I did okay on time I guess, but I ended up screwing myself on damage. It was fast enough to A-rank the time, but still It took at least 3 weak point exposures to actually pull it off. What's his best weak-point combo?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I still don't even have all the characters unlocked, let alone the weapons. The heart pieces etc seem like a pipe-dream to me at this point. :stare:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
It's hard out there for a guy with a sword when he's surrounded by superheroes. :v:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I tend to just spam specials on Dinofos, I don't have time for their picky bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
A sequel is far from a sure thing anyway. Hyrule Warriors owns, but the WiiU isn't exactly a breeding ground for sequels. The engine is there though, as are all the art/sound assets, so it's not impossible. :shrug:

Really I'm just looking forward to the DLC.

^edit: You wait for them to stop blocking, then you kill the poo poo out of them. Sometimes you dodge or block.

• Locked thread