Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Which weapon skills do you guys use the most? For the early game I've been mostly going with Materials+/EXP+/Stars+/Slots+ just to collect stuff, but now I'm getting somewhat farther in I'm wondering about the other ones. I've started to pay attention a bit more to which combo attacks I'm using for which character, so I could probably make use of appropriate Str Attack+ ones. How much do those actually increase damage? (And also I guess, how much of an effect does EXP+ have on your experience and Materials+ have on how often materials appear and so on?) And then there's all of the elemental skills and sealed skills, which I've basically been ignoring.

I've been having a blast playing so far, though. I really like adventure mode and all of the different levels and rewards in it - I'm just about done opening up all of the squares the first adventure map and getting all of the weapons there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

I just unlocked the Great Sea map and tried some of the first few missions - is it just me or do they give barely any experience? Like the enemies seem comparably difficult to levels on the original Adventure map that I'm sure would put my character up a level, but the experience gauge barely moves on these. Is that just the first few levels, or is the whole map like that?

Folt The Bolt posted:

:words: about skills

And I didn't respond to this earlier, but thanks, that's really helpful! I'll have to start looking for the 3000 and 4000 kill sealed skills since I didn't realize how good they would be.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Huh, okay. Maybe it's just the first few levels then, and I need to play some more of the map. I was really surprised when I was playing the map which has Agitha's Lv. 2 weapon - I could beat it but officers took a while to kill and I took a ton of damage, so unless I get a lot better with her I'd have no hope of A-ranking it now. I have her at level 20 from the training dojo, and killing everyone around brought her less than a quarter of the way to level 21. (Of course it's possible that's a high enough level to reasonably A-rank the map and I'm just terrible with her though)

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I need to get an A-rank on the Adventure Map H-2 mission (defeat the commanders of 2 armies with Zelda to unlock H-1. Problem is, I'm killng things far too slowly. I don't know if Level 32 is too low for that map with the Baton or what, but I tried with the level 2 rapier too to similar poor effect. Is there a trick to clearing the map fast or do I just need to farm up more goddamn rupees and dojo up?

I just managed to beat that mission the yesterday (with the level 2 rapier), and I had a lot of trouble staying under 4000 damage with a level 45-ish Zelda. So yeah, level 32 seems way too low, and even at higher levels you need to cheese some of the officer battles to have a chance at staying under 4000 damage.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I got an A-rank on damage just fine on both attempts (2500 and 3200). The problem I'm having is speedily killing 1200 units. With what you're saying about the level, I guess my only choice is to either grind EXP or farm more goddamn rupees. What a drag.

Huh, okay then. Now I'm curious what you were doing against Volga and Wizzro to not rack up a ton of damage fighting them.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Ah, makes sense. I'm just really bad at fighting Volga I guess, I had a lot of trouble keeping him from just hitting me in between my attacks or wherever. Wizzro wasn't nearly as bad, except that if his attacks do hit they do a ton of damage, so I decided to just snipe him with special attacks to make absolutely sure I wouldn't hit. And since that worked I ended up sniping Volga and Ghirahim with special attacks too, and running away to refill my special meter if necessary. :v:

And even with all of that, I still think I had around 3000 damage from occasionally being hit by those guys, or the aeralfoses, or the moblins... Though I completely forgot about getting a second defense badge for the level, that would have been smart.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I actually have beaten the boss of the first Adventure Map - I'm trying to clean up the remaining weapons and characters before I move on to the Great Sea Map. Should I hold off on that?

The only real bottleneck I had in the first adventure map was the Zelda map we were talking about, so if you've beaten it you should be able to get the rest of the weapons and characters around. I'm not much farther along than you, so I couldn't tell you if there's anything later on that might be really useful, but it seems like basically all of the rewards on the first adventure map are doable at this point (unless there's some really hard heart containers hidden around that I haven't tried).

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

On the "defeat 700 enemies" type of stage on the first adventure map, is there any benefit to beating the legend characters? You get a message saying "the enemy's plot is foiled" but I haven't noticed any way that it seems to make things easier for you the rest of the level. For that matter, is the best strategy for those levels just running around killing the mooks you come across en masse and ignoring everyone else (and running away from all of the giant bosses chasing you)?

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

I use the water fairy from the first Adventure map and she's fairly high level at this point. It irks me that fairies in later maps are straight upgrades when you've put time into raising earlier ones already and they take a dog's age to level up. I suppose I'll have to bite that bullet myself, but I don't wanna lose my friends. :(

I think the only difference between the later fairies and the earlier ones are what skill they start with (well, that and their appearance), but you can unlock all of the skills you want for any given fairy. So it might be worth adding the Master Quest water fairy in your last slot for the time being, but if you want you can get the "wall of water" skill on your favorite fairy eventually.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Does anyone know of a guide that tells you what each of the My Fairy rental skills do, more specifically than the descriptions in the game? Like, especially information about whether it's something you have to actively use vs. is always passively on, and also how long the effect lasts / how many times you can use it / how strong the effect is.

Like, for instance, is the "XP Master" skill something that applies automatically the entire mission, or is it one of the skills that you manually activate and it lasts for either 1 minute or until you switch characters? Since the former would seem pretty reasonable, and the latter mostly useless unless the XP boost was really, really huge during the small period of time it was active. I haven't been able to find anywhere with information like that, which is frustrating since you have to sink a bunch of food into unlocking a specific skill and you can't even tell if it will be useful at all.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Magic fountain sounds cool but also sounds like a massive pain to get. I've mostly been going with Magic Bonds - you can use it 3 times per mission, and it fills a percentage of your magic bar equal to the fairy's trust level. So if you grind enough trust, then it's at least 3 free fairy nukes per level. Seems like the best option out of the ones that are easy to get, though I haven't really tried others since getting them is a pain (hence my original question).

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Folt The Bolt posted:

(BTW, the list is a tier list for the Wii U version of Hyrule Warriors. I plan to make a Legends version as well.)

How different do you expect that to be, out of curiosity? I haven't really played the Wii U version so I don't know what the differences are besides the addition of fairies. So I'd imagine Young Link would be entirely re-rated, and other characters might get shifted around based on whether fairy nukes cover some of their weaknesses?

Also, man this game is long (at least if you try to do all of the adventure maps completely). I'm closing in on finishing the Termina map though, at which point I'll be done with all of the base adventure maps + the great sea one. So then I'll just have three DLC maps to go :toot:. My characters are mostly in the level 60-70 range, which has been high enough to A-rank everything I've come across so far without much trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Are there supposed to be new mixtures in the apothecary? I could have sworn the update description said there were when the game booted, but I don't see anything that looks new.

Possibly relatedly, what was the message that popped up when you open up the Lorule map for the first time? I wasn't expecting it and accidentally closed it before I could read it - I just saw that there was something about fairies.

• Locked thread