Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
Don't move to Vancouver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

ante posted:

Kelowna and the surrounding towns like Vernon or Osoyoos or anywhere in between are really really nice in the summer, but pretty brutal in the winter.

Kelowna is a pretty nice place, but there's N O T H I N G to do unless you're really into outdoorsy stuff and beaches or wine or something. It's basically a retirement and tourism community with a University.

The winter here is really unpleasant, IMO. It doesn't get very cold temperature wise, but there's something about the wind and the air, the little cold that there is really gets to your bones more than in other places (I'm not a weather expert, but it's probably due to humidity). Seriously, 5 above here feels like 15 below in Alberta. There's also almost no sunshine during the winter, very little snow, and it never really gets cold enough to go ice skating outdoors or do any cool winter things. There are some nice ski hills nearby which mitigates this somewhat, but still.

My recommendation: Just go to a different province and learn to deal with the winter, it's really fun and beautiful once you get used to it.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

PT6A posted:

As best as anyone can tell. the housing bubble in Vancouver is being fuelled by insanity, self-delusion and entirely too much access to credit. It's like a disease -- even people who live elsewhere are getting infected by the idea they ought to buy a condo in Vancouver, and I can't figure out why.

I remember my criminology prof telling us that areas with areas of low home ownership (you know, places with lots of renters) are associated with low incomes and crime. So it's partly a class issue as well- owning property is proof that you're not a poor!

• Locked thread