Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
2 Acompli niggles:

1) Can I change the sound when I get mail? I hate the default tritone. [edit] Found sounds, under each account in settings of the app.

2) Sometimes it hangs a bit trying to open an email from a lock screen swipe, etc...

[edit] No idea if it does push or fetch, but I can tell you I just got 3 emails in the span of 5 minutes where my phone dinged the same moment the notification popped up on my gmail on my computer/browser. I've never had it happen that fast before.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Feenix posted:

2 Acompli niggles:

1) Can I change the sound when I get mail? I hate the default tritone.

2) Sometimes it hangs a bit trying to open an email from a lock screen swipe, etc...

You can change the sound in the app Settings, just select the account.

I have some little complaints regarding calendars, iCloud integration/multiple aliases, and a few other nitpicks but it definitely has promise of replacing my current usage.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Lum_ posted:

I'm a huge fan of Acompli and the iOS 8 update for it just dropped over the weekend. It's an all-in-one client that pulls in *everything*.

https://www.acompli.com/

Looks like Mailbox and Fantastical had a wonderful baby.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

Looks like Mailbox and Fantastical had a wonderful baby.

You guys are going to make me cry. I keep getting Error Connecting to Server when the settings I'm using are identical to the stock mail.app settings.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I can't believe how good Acompli is. Goodbye OWA.app. I just wish it had more granular options for 'focus' content than just the sender address. Unless I'm missing something? I'm sad that it's free, though. It makes it feel like we're on the clock as far as it's useful life.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
It feels more cramped to me than mailbox. I like the calendar stuff but in terms of just email it feels a little needlessly complex. Mailbox is super slick and simple I'm just gonna stick with that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

flosofl posted:

You guys are going to make me cry. I keep getting Error Connecting to Server when the settings I'm using are identical to the stock mail.app settings.

loving hell, finally got that drat thing working. Me like.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
So, what's the go to for filling in PDF forms these days?

Ideally free?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Liking Acompli quite a bit so far. It does indeed push gmail, and has appropriate lock screen/notification screen swipe actions. It was bugging me that I couldn't swipe to delete on alerts in the gmail app. Fonts are very clean and everything's got a nice place to it. Calendar is rather nice too for what seems like the secondary/tertiary feature of the app.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Speaking of Gmail app, it just got updated for the 6/6+ and it looks sooooooo nice :circlefap:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Edit- finally got Acompli it working. Seems decent but nothing amazing. Well Exchange is still hosed up a bit. Not a great start, but hopefully the features make up for it.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 7, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

Ideally free?
Not free but I use PDF Expert. GoodReader is one of the other major apps and while I have no clue how it's PDF form support compares, I wouldn't be too worried about it cause it's generally been pretty solid functionally. With that said there were like a billion other PDF apps last I looked but nothing in particular pulled me from PDF Expert. I'm sure they were fine and had some novel features of their own, just no real need to switch apps for me at this point.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

CaptainPsyko posted:

Ideally free?

I use Evernote/skitch, but I rarely fill out PDF forms on an iOS device. It's really more like, "you forgot to put your postal code in this form. Email it back to me ASAP with your postal code." I don't even think it recognizes fields so much as let's you annotate text onto a document.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Scanbot got an update but an absolute 0% of the new features work for me. It has Touch ID but no settings to enable or set it up.

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 7, 2014

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

ChetReckless posted:

Check the Weather (data from forecast.io) just updated with its own widget now:

I like the data they chose to put up there but holy hell is it big.

Looks like rear end compared to weather underground's.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Can the default weather widget not be turned off independently of the location ETA thing? That's annoying if true. So if I want to keep location ETA and try a custom weather widget, I gotta cram two weather widgets in the Today screen.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm not sure why there's still so much hate for the Podcast app. I haven't had any problems with it.

The only thing that's annoying is I usually stream from a podcast's Feed instead of downloading first. If the app starts an episode I've already heard I'll obviously skip it, but if that podcast gets removed/added later, the partially listened-to episodes will appear in Unplayed as ready to download, cluttering things.
It's been said, but my pet peeves with the stock app were as follows:

1) You play your podcast, you sleep the device and keep listening. You hit home, swipe up, and pause (or pause from headphones). An hour or two later? Good chance you can't resume without going all the way back through the app. Overcast doesn't have this problem.

2) Playing a podcast at anything but 1x? Need to unplug your headphone jack? Good chance that the track will play with no sound when you resume, necessitating a force close and restarting the app. Also, the app lost your place. Overcast doesn't have this problem.

I also found the "auto-deleting played episodes" function in the stock app to be very spotty. Overcast deletes it as soon as I've played which is what I want.

This is all leaving aside Overcast's web interface, which maybe other apps have too. I am very happy with Overcast these days.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Kenny Logins posted:

2) Playing a podcast at anything but 1x? Need to unplug your headphone jack? Good chance that the track will play with no sound when you resume, necessitating a force close and restarting the app. Also, the app lost your place. Overcast doesn't have this problem.

I've had this problem with all of the major podcast apps on iphone 6+ -- Downcast, Overcast, and Pocket Casts, so YMMV there. Didn't try apple's podcasts cause I gave it enough chances during a full calendar year.

Snoring
Oct 21, 2008
Will any of the podcast apps "import" any of the data from Apple's podcast app? I'd like to try another app but I have a big backlog and lots of half listened to podcasts that I don't really want to manually redownload and scrub through.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Snoring posted:

Will any of the podcast apps "import" any of the data from Apple's podcast app? I'd like to try another app but I have a big backlog and lots of half listened to podcasts that I don't really want to manually redownload and scrub through.

Most will import your subscription lists, but I don't think any will keep track of your backlog or listened/unlistened statuses.

What I did when I switched apps was moved over my subscriptions, turned off new downloads in the old app I had been using, and listened to the backlog, letting a new one build up in the new app.

When I'd cleared the backlog, I switched over.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
The only thing I don't like about Overcast is there are only two states for any podcast: on your device or not. I wish there was some kind of "previously played" status for podcasts that have been listened to and deleted. When you're going through the back catalogue of a podcast it is handy to know at a glance which ones you've heard without having to dive into program descriptions.

Otherwise Overcast is great. The Smart Speed is cool (23 hours saved for me) and it stays longer in memory (so I can resume from the control centre) than any other podcast app I've tried.

Edit: the push functionality is fantastic as well, which was one of my bigger peeves with Downcast.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Kaizoku posted:

I've had this problem with all of the major podcast apps on iphone 6+ -- Downcast, Overcast, and Pocket Casts, so YMMV there. Didn't try apple's podcasts cause I gave it enough chances during a full calendar year.
I guess I should clarify my experience are solely with a 5S. Had the "bug" with the stock app but not once with Overcast. It is a really, really annoying bug.

ChetReckless posted:

The only thing I don't like about Overcast is there are only two states for any podcast: on your device or not. I wish there was some kind of "previously played" status for podcasts that have been listened to and deleted. When you're going through the back catalogue of a podcast it is handy to know at a glance which ones you've heard without having to dive into program descriptions.

Otherwise Overcast is great. The Smart Speed is cool (23 hours saved for me) and it stays longer in memory (so I can resume from the control centre) than any other podcast app I've tried.
I agree. Marco is kind of pathologically against cluttering up the interface but that is one user-facing flag I'd like to see. The stock app can technically be better for this but the watched/unwatched icon can be very buggy which is worse than not having it at all.

I'm only up to 9 hours saved myself but I love having a little granularity in playback speed.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 7, 2014

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I realy like the default podcast app.

It downloads new shows, deletes the ones I have listened to, indicates new shows, works with siri "play newest episode of _____".

It even lets me pick up where i left off on my desktop when I get home.

I guess it doesnt have auto volume, but desired volume is a function of how loud my environment is anyway.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

spunkshui posted:

I realy like the default podcast app.

It downloads new shows, deletes the ones I have listened to, indicates new shows, works with siri "play newest episode of _____".

It even lets me pick up where i left off on my desktop when I get home.

I guess it doesnt have auto volume, but desired volume is a function of how loud my environment is anyway.

Yeah, stock podcasts app does everything I could hope in regards to listening to idiots talk about things.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah, stock podcasts app does everything I could hope in regards to listening to idiots talk about things.

Smart speed sounds awesome but I haven't tried Overcast for exactly these reasons. The most important one for me is Siri compatibility for driving. I wish there were more options to use apps with Siri even though I guess it could mess with security.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Edit- finally got Acompli it working. Seems decent but nothing amazing. Well Exchange is still hosed up a bit. Not a great start, but hopefully the features make up for it.

I ended up deleting my account information from it and uninstalling as soon as I found it it's actually delivering your mail by proxy. I also changed my password right after I did that. Your credentials are stored on their server which retrieves your email and then serves it up to you in their app. That makes me very uncomfortable. No thank you.

I really should have been more thorough researching the app before I set it up.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

flosofl posted:

I ended up deleting my account information from it and uninstalling as soon as I found it it's actually delivering your mail by proxy. I also changed my password right after I did that. Your credentials are stored on their server which retrieves your email and then serves it up to you in their app. That makes me very uncomfortable. No thank you.

I really should have been more thorough researching the app before I set it up.

Didn't know this. Added to the OP.

\/\/\/ Thanks. I'll clarify that.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 7, 2014

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Didn't know this. Added to the OP.

I saw it mentioned here, so I hunted all over the site for more information and just found vagueness until I dug it up in their privacy policy. This is literally the only place I saw it mentioned that said, "hey, we have your credentials on tap"

quote:

Some email accounts (ones that use Microsoft Exchange, for example) also require that you provide your email login credentials, including your username, password, server URL, and server domain. Other accounts (Google Gmail accounts, for example) use the OAuth authorization mechanism which does not require us to access or store your password.

I should note, GMail users are in the clear for cached credentials. They still have unfettered access to your email account, and your email is *still* moving over their systems so they can apply the "Focus" algorithm on them.

They seriously need to make that more clear in the application description on the App Store.

e: added a couple more thoughts.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 7, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, if you use Gmail they use OAuth and they should see nothing but an access token. However that does let them have total access to your email, and probably Hangouts/Gtalk transcripts too, since those show up in a unified mailbox in Gmail.

But if I used that for Exchange with my work email, they'd put my head on a pike. I would imagine that for most people who use Exchange, their email credentials are also their Active Directory credentials for logging in on everything else at work.

Doesn't matter if the Acompli privacy policy says they won't sell that info, that's not the point. Their credential db is a goldmine for someone who wants to break in and extract logins to use on attacks elsewhere.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
so If we signed up with the app but then changed our mind and deleted the app what do we need to do to make sure they no longer have access, just change our email password?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

so If we signed up with the app but then changed our mind and deleted the app what do we need to do to make sure they no longer have access, just change our email password?

Depends on which accounts you linked. Login to Gmail and revoke their access through Account Settings. Change your iCloud or Dropbox/Box passwords.

Did you delete/erase the accounts within the app before deleting the app?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I'm back to just using Sunrise for Calendar and CloudMagic w/Evernote for mail, don't mess with what is already great.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I'm back to just using Sunrise for Calendar and CloudMagic w/Evernote for mail, don't mess with what is already great.

Doesn't Cloudmagic save your credentials and emails to their servers too?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Did we ever really find a decent weather widget?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Human is the first fitness tracking app I know of that now has support for HealthKit: http://human.co/

Breeze by RunKeeper is also pretty cool: http://breezeapp.com/

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Eight Is Legend posted:

Human is the first fitness tracking app I know of that now has support for HealthKit: http://human.co/

Breeze by RunKeeper is also pretty cool: http://breezeapp.com/
I've heard some people talking about Human but I don't quite get it. Is it just an app that lets you know when you've walked for a total of 30 minutes a day?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Question Mark Mound posted:

I've heard some people talking about Human but I don't quite get it. Is it just an app that lets you know when you've walked for a total of 30 minutes a day?

Walk, run, bicycle or "stay active", however they measure that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

rear end Catchcum posted:

If you removed the account from within the app before you deleted it, according to them (at least from what I *think* it said in the privacy statement) it will remove your stuff from their servers.

Regardless, change your password so ongoing access is denied. Additionally, if you use Exchange remove the Active Sync client in your OWA settings called "Acompli".

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Is there any keyboard yet that's just the stock one basically but with the representative case (lower/upper) rather than all caps all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If there isn't a smart dev would jump on that because I bet it would be super popular.