Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Eight Is Legend posted:

Human is the first fitness tracking app I know of that now has support for HealthKit: http://human.co/

Breeze by RunKeeper is also pretty cool: http://breezeapp.com/

Endomondo supports healthkit as well. I like it over strava or the like because it allows me to track/categorize a variety of exercises, not just running/biking. I track bouncing on the trampoline!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Google released their Android News & Weather app today.

If you frequent Google News, it'd be handy instead of going back to the browser.

The weather is pretty basic and is more of a bonus add-on than a feature. Pulls from weather.com, high/low temp, graphs for temp change through the day and for precip chance during the day. No widget though which is really disappointing but I'm sure it'll get one eventually.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

noirstronaut posted:

Did we ever really find a decent weather widget?

weather underground

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

It'd be nice to see Google put their keyboard out for iOS, too. Their predictive text learns from your usage of Google Apps, which is nice.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Goons, Beats Music or Spotify? Tell me which one I should get and why.

While the social stuff is nice, that part doesn't really interest me. I'm more interested in variety of playlists and how easy they are to discover and how the app changes to your tastes over time. I currently have trial on both, but I don't think a week is enough time to really get what the advantages of each are.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like Google Play because they had a promo for $8 a month vs the others which were $10 in Canada. Also you can upload your own albums to fill in cracks with what they don't have (mostly stuff like Led Zeppelin, Beatles etc). I think spotify has that too?

I used to use Rdio and liked the app but Google pulled me in. I tried spotify and didn't like the app but a friend much prefers it to google's so personal preference. I can't remember if you can upload your own tracks to spotify though.

I find the Google "I'm feeling lucky" creates good playlists for me, ditto the radio stations for artists or tracks.

Can't speak on Beats because it hasn't come here. I'm hoping Google integrates the songza curation soon too.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
They all play music, but what got me to embrace and stick with Spotify was the playlists, collabing, searching, following, all awesome stuff. Maybe the others let you create social playlists and cultivate a listing of routinely updated and bespoke playlists, but everyone I know is on Spotify so that helps.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

weather underground

It's a little bigger than it needs to be, but it's by far the least bad option right now.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

flosofl posted:

While the social stuff is nice, that part doesn't really interest me. I'm more interested in variety of playlists and how easy they are to discover and how the app changes to your tastes over time. I currently have trial on both, but I don't think a week is enough time to really get what the advantages of each are.

A few weeks ago I started exploring iTunes radio for while I'm at work. For a free product I'm getting pretty much what I want when I create a playlist based off of an artist. Their canned lists are not very good, especially after they pruned out alot of the niche ones.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 8, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been using Beats for a few months now. I like it a lot. The curated playlists are nice and there's a lot of the social aspects that Spotify has such as viewing playlists your friends created or sharing songs or albums. The Sentence is a cool feature, too, though I can see how people would prefer the Pandora-style way of playing music, though I also have iTunes Match, so I can just use iTunes Radio for that.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
If you like curated playlists and great social support, definitely Spotify. If it irks you that certain songs you own aren't on the service, Google Play. I use Google Play, but I REALLY miss having curated playlists. It sucks that you have to manually create your own different playlists, but that's the cost to pay for having a gap-free library for what I enjoy.

GPlay also has pretty-much non-existant discovery features outside of a barebones radio and barely-updated featured playlists section. If you depend on these services for finding new music, definitely go with Spotify.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

weather underground
Weather Underground's widget blows :smith:

I still have yet to see a free, accurate weather widget better than Yahoo's, which blows because Yahoo's could be so much better.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

flosofl posted:

Spotify has had an absolute ton of new music on the day or before the day of release recently, including some stuff that's a little left field from the norm. They have really good curated playlists too and well, it's well established and the apps are slick.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Walked posted:

Is there any keyboard yet that's just the stock one basically but with the representative case (lower/upper) rather than all caps all the time?

iKeywi is now on the App store. Probably as close as you'll get.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Kheldarn posted:

iKeywi is now on the App store. Probably as close as you'll get.

iKeyWi is the #1 reason I'm not thinking twice about ignoring ios8. The jailbreak implementation (iKeywi 2) is one of the finest creations on earth.

e: Reviews of the non-jb version don't seem all that great but for 99c I'm sure you can afford to tell us what it's like!

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Neurophonic posted:

Spotify has had an absolute ton of new music on the day or before the day of release recently, including some stuff that's a little left field from the norm. They have really good curated playlists too and well, it's well established and the apps are slick.

Is there an easy way to see new releases on Spotify? One of the things that has kept me on rdio is how prominently they display new releases.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

vtlock posted:

Is there an easy way to see new releases on Spotify? One of the things that has kept me on rdio is how prominently they display new releases.

Yep.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Neurophonic posted:

I have Beats. Because I have a Sonos as well, Sonos support is important to me. I've actually been checking out Deezer because it claims "audiophile" quality streaming. (Buzzwords, whatever... but so far so good.)

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Do any of these services have some goddamn Bob Seger or Tool yet? That's the real question.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Zigmidge posted:

iKeyWi is the #1 reason I'm not thinking twice about ignoring ios8. The jailbreak implementation (iKeywi 2) is one of the finest creations on earth.

e: Reviews of the non-jb version don't seem all that great but for 99c I'm sure you can afford to tell us what it's like!

I bought it last night on a whim and it still has a ways to go. I love the layout and swiping to move the cursor and all that but the "A" and "L" keys occasionally start registering as double taps so you get "Aa" or "Ll" with a single key press and it's annoying enough that I couldn't really stand to use it for longer than a couple messages.

Once it gets fixed up I think it'll be a great keyboard, the customization of the keys is definitely useful but right now it just has too many issues to be a full time keyboard.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 8, 2014

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
While we're on music apps, what's the best app from playing music stored on the phone? I tried the built-in app and groove but they don't work so well.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

wattershed posted:

Do any of these services have some goddamn Bob Seger or Tool yet? That's the real question.

Spotify doesn't.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
There are a few bands like that with enough clout to keep their stuff off the streaming services. This is where Google Play shines!

And I find the radio stations work pretty good, better than Rdio's anyway. I would get a ton of repeats with them. Plus Google bought songza so will hopefully integrate that sometime but who knows.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Selklubber posted:

While we're on music apps, what's the best app from playing music stored on the phone? I tried the built-in app and groove but they don't work so well.

I like CarTunes for when I'm driving around. I don't have to look at my phone when driving and can simply swipe left or right to change the songs. It also works for me when I'm not driving.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Weather Underground's widget blows :smith:

I thought so too at first, but it's really grown on me. As a public transit rider my usage might be a little different though--I'm not too concerned with 5-day but rather more concerned with how cold it will be and whether it will be raining when I go to/get off work.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Selklubber posted:

I use Picky, if only because it emulates the iOS6 music app with iOS7 UI and colorized now playing. If you're looking for something more, this probably isn't for you.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I use Picky, if only because it emulates the iOS6 music app with iOS7 UI and colorized now playing. If you're looking for something more, this probably isn't for you.

Picky is great, and I still don't know what the gently caress they were thinking with the iOS7 redesign of the stock app. Any artist with more than 2 or 3 albums takes so loving long to scroll through that it's useless.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

wattershed posted:

Even if Google Play doesn't have it natively, you can upload any song you want into their cloud service. It's the only advantage the service has over the others, and quite frankly, why I keep paying (blame me for my dumb, OCD music tastes). Literally every other feature is done better by the competitors.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
Hey guys, want yet another custom keyboard to add to your phone?

There have been plenty of times when I've wanted to type a fancy Unicode character, like a mathematical symbol or punctuation or something. I usually end up having to open up the browser, google it, find it on a page somewhere, and then hope that I can finesse the selection to just include that character so I can copy and paste it. Huge pain in the butt.

Well no longer! I extended by silly text-flipping app, unicodr (iTunes link), to add a keyboard extension. You can scroll among some pre-defined categories of characters like punctuation or mathematical symbols, or you can type the Unicode name of the character you want and search for it!

Here's some promo codes for y'all to enjoy:

T4JLJ973YMPJ
YEX76NP7FH96
N4F9LXPWX9JN
MHWE3YFTJ373
WP6TA4LEKXR7

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Claimed MHWE3YFTJ373

Thanks!

Edit:

Feature Request #1: Zalgo Text.

Feature Request #2: Upside Down Keyboard. Zalgo Keyboard. Etc.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 9, 2014

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Flobbster posted:

Hey guys, want yet another custom keyboard to add to your phone?

There have been plenty of times when I've wanted to type a fancy Unicode character, like a mathematical symbol or punctuation or something. I usually end up having to open up the browser, google it, find it on a page somewhere, and then hope that I can finesse the selection to just include that character so I can copy and paste it. Huge pain in the butt.

Well no longer! I extended by silly text-flipping app, unicodr (iTunes link), to add a keyboard extension. You can scroll among some pre-defined categories of characters like punctuation or mathematical symbols, or you can type the Unicode name of the character you want and search for it!

Here's some promo codes for y'all to enjoy:

T4JLJ973YMPJ
YEX76NP7FH96
N4F9LXPWX9JN
MHWE3YFTJ373
WP6TA4LEKXR7
Took the second one, thanks!

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Flobbster posted:

WP6TA4LEKXR7

Took this one, thanks!

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Does anyone here have problems with the Gmail app not showing notifications for unread emails? I've been having that happen more frequently that normal since the iOS 8 update.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
I wish the Gmail app let you turn off the vibration part of the new mail alert or customize it all. It seems like the only choice within the app is notifications On or Off.

I turned off the "show on lock screen" option in notification center to at least minimize the annoying vibrate but that just prevents the blurbs on the lock (it still makes the sound/vibration).

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Withings updated their app to integrate Health Kit today. Now I can see my steps from Garmin and weight from WIthings in one place while I slowly watch myself get fatter and fatter.

Actually I could already see both because I synced withings to garmin already but it's better because it's using Health Kit obv.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Doesn't matter if the Acompli privacy policy says they won't sell that info, that's not the point. Their credential db is a goldmine for someone who wants to break in and extract logins to use on attacks elsewhere.

Taking a look at their security overview, there isn't a "credential db" goldmine. Instead they isolate user accounts, so an attacker would have to individually decode the accounts each user uses. That would be the most common sense way to run an email proxy service.

In any case, I think it's kind of funny that we have have a :tinfoil: warning for Acompli, and none for Mailbox. Mailbox also uses a proxy service, doesn't promise to delete all your data when you leave, and is owned by a company with Condoleezza Rice on its board of directors. And there's no way to delete a mailbox account, meaning that I had to manually deauthorize Mailbox from each of my gmail account when I was done with their service.

As for why use a proxy service at all, I think a lot of Acompli's features (email scheduling, fast searching and sorting, push notifications for everything) wouldn't work as well at all or as well if it had to refresh with multiple services at once or keep track of everything on the device. You're right that it they should make it clear that it's a cloud service and not just an app, but to my eye they are a cloud service worth using.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

In any case, I think it's kind of funny that we have have a :tinfoil: warning for Acompli, and none for Mailbox. Mailbox also uses a proxy service, doesn't promise to delete all your data when you leave, and is owned by a company with Condoleezza Rice on its board of directors. And there's no way to delete a mailbox account, meaning that I had to manually deauthorize Mailbox from each of my gmail account when I was done with their service.

I forgot Dropbox bought them and that they're a proxy service too. I'll update the OP.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Taking a look at their security overview, there isn't a "credential db" goldmine. Instead they isolate user accounts, so an attacker would have to individually decode the accounts each user uses. That would be the most common sense way to run an email proxy service.

As for why use a proxy service at all, I think a lot of Acompli's features (email scheduling, fast searching and sorting, push notifications for everything) wouldn't work as well at all or as well if it had to refresh with multiple services at once or keep track of everything on the device. You're right that it they should make it clear that it's a cloud service and not just an app, but to my eye they are a cloud service worth using.

My issue isn't really with what Acompli does, but how it's disclosed. If I were using it for a personal email account I really wouldn't have much of an issue. Unfortunately, in this case, I was looking for a replacement to the stock mail.app for Exchange. I really should have done more research than the App Store page so that's on me.

The problem comes in with corporate users in this day of BYOD at many enterprises. At the very least it bypasses any enforced PIN/Password policy that a company may require for you to link your device into their email infrastructure. On top of that is this would violate many corporate data retention policies with regards to company confidential and possible trade secrets. For me personally, I personally deal with a lot of security and vulnerability information (which makes it double bad I didn't do my due diligence) which means my data handling policies are even more stringent.

Now, I already notified my IT group. Since I already deleted my Active Sync entry on my account and immediately changed my password I'm more or less in the clear. I don't foresee any additional fallout beyond the "what were you thinking?" but if it does come down on my head, it was my lapse of judgement that caused it. The reason I took an "alarmist" stance is that a) it's not clearly labeled and b)it's one of the few really slick Exchange clients that is optimized for iPhone 6/6plus. I wanted people who were thinking of using it for Exchange to realize they may be in violation of their company policies.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

The widget for the Yahoo weather app got updated and it looks pretty sweet.

Too bad the app itself still isn't optimized for the 6+ though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

terriyaki posted:

The widget for the Yahoo weather app got updated and it looks pretty sweet.

Too bad the app itself still isn't optimized for the 6+ though.
All they did is change the size/placement of the Flickr picture and added a section about tomorrow's conditions, right? It looks a little nicer but it's not a big improvement.