Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madept
Oct 14, 2004
title...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

All they did is change the size/placement of the Flickr picture and added a section about tomorrow's conditions, right? It looks a little nicer but it's not a big improvement.

Yeah, it's a lot of wasted space just for the Flickr photo. They could eliminate the photo entirely and either cut down the size of the widget by half or use the second row to show a full 5 day forecast.

An email alternative I haven't seen mentioned is Boxer. I switched from Mailbox about a year ago because I wanted Exchange support and additional features. It does Gmail push and doesn't send anything through their own servers. It does not do Exchange push though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yay! iKonic released and update to Mail+. Finally optimized for the iPhone6/6plus. No more comically huge display.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

madept posted:

Yeah, it's a lot of wasted space just for the Flickr photo. They could eliminate the photo entirely and either cut down the size of the widget by half or use the second row to show a full 5 day forecast.

An email alternative I haven't seen mentioned is Boxer. I switched from Mailbox about a year ago because I wanted Exchange support and additional features. It does Gmail push and doesn't send anything through their own servers. It does not do Exchange push though.

I like Boxer a great deal, but I've been having an issue since 7.1 where it will not go directly to the e-mail I chose when swiping from lock screen, but it will mark that e-mail as read. This is on ipad2, ipad4, 3 iphone 5(not s)s, and iphone 6+. Not terrible, but certainly an annoyance.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
I'm okay with the Weather Underground widget, except for having to wait for it to update every time I open it. I've enabled background app refresh and always-on location services for the app, which I would expect to allow it to update periodically so it has reasonably current info ready to go on launch. Is there some setting I'm missing, or am I asking too much of it?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

The Dave posted:

Most of the widgets are not thinking that vertical spacing is the most important thing in the notification center. If I made a weather widget it would look something like this:

Can someone just make this poo poo ffs

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Are there any "media" players that work with ios8/iphone 6 Plus yet?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Are there any "media" players that work with ios8/iphone 6 Plus yet?

Maybe I'm dumb but what is "media" code for? Maybe you can use a little more vague words to describe.

I use Plex all the time. But it plays media so I'm not sure that's what you're asking.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

Can someone just make this poo poo ffs

I'm tempted to start watching swift tutorials and making the hackiest thing ever.

But if I did I'm greedy and would make the bg #ff00ff until you paid.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

benisntfunny posted:

Maybe I'm dumb but what is "media" code for? Maybe you can use a little more vague words to describe.

I use Plex all the time. But it plays media so I'm not sure that's what you're asking.

Probably the usual video formats would be my guess.

:filez:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Need a good player for my animes.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Cyrano4747 posted:

That's not media? Plex doesn't work?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

benisntfunny posted:

I just meant video, sorry for the confusion.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I just meant video, sorry for the confusion.

If you mean streaming stuff off a computer over the magic of airwaves, PLEX has never let me down.

If you mean watching poo poo in stock-unsupported formats that is stored ON your device, I still have nothing but good things to say about VLC.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Man so Star Tracker updated last night for the new phones and the screen is SO busted. It's off center to the tune of having about half an inch on 2 sides just nothing but dead black screen.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm checking out Skype for iPad on someone's behalf. Does it definitely do push notifications correctly, like when someone's trying to call you?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

fleshweasel posted:

I'm checking out Skype for iPad on someone's behalf. Does it definitely do push notifications correctly, like when someone's trying to call you?

Unless the update that just came out changed things drastically, it doesn't do anything correctly.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, I've had nothing but problems with notifications on Skype on iOS. Sometimes it lets me know someone has messaged/tried to call, sometimes it doesn't, and it NEVER shows badges even with them turned on.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Feenix posted:

If you mean streaming stuff off a computer over the magic of airwaves, PLEX has never let me down.

If you mean watching poo poo in stock-unsupported formats that is stored ON your device, I still have nothing but good things to say about VLC.

From what I can tell you can't get VLC anymore, it was pulled from the App Store.

Otherwise you have a few options but none of them support AC3 audio which makes them a non option for me since I like 720p or 1080p MKVs and most of all of them have come with AC3 audio so far.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

xilni posted:

From what I can tell you can't get VLC anymore, it was pulled from the App Store.

Otherwise you have a few options but none of them support AC3 audio which makes them a non option for me since I like 720p or 1080p MKVs and most of all of them have come with AC3 audio so far.
nPlayer says it does, sounds like they worked out some licensing agreement with Dolby (probably a few other major apps too). I don't think anything supports DTS though, but I don't think it's as common at least.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah, I've had nothing but problems with notifications on Skype on iOS. Sometimes it lets me know someone has messaged/tried to call, sometimes it doesn't, and it NEVER shows badges even with them turned on.

Well, I used the new version on my phone for about 10 seconds and it managed to drain over 20% of my battery in the background that day, so I uninstalled it. Skype is a POS on the mac too though. "There's got to be a better way!"

edit: Basically, I'm trying to help an old lady make some international calls with her mother in Switzerland or some poo poo and video calls with her sons. The only computer she has ever owned is a 2006 iMac-- don't know whether it's G5 or Core Duo-- which would work except Skype EOLed all the clients available on the most recent OS it can run.

brap fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 11, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
poo poo that sucks, why'd VLC get pulled?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Feenix posted:

poo poo that sucks, why'd VLC get pulled?

Supposedly Nokia claimed rights infringement.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Anyone use CarTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cartunes-music-player/id415408192?mt=8) on iOS8?

CarTunes got a lot of hype a year ago but that was also the last time the app got an update (Feb. 2013).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

Well, I used the new version on my phone for about 10 seconds and it managed to drain over 20% of my battery in the background that day, so I uninstalled it. Skype is a POS on the mac too though. "There's got to be a better way!"

edit: Basically, I'm trying to help an old lady make some international calls with her mother in Switzerland or some poo poo and video calls with her sons. The only computer she has ever owned is a 2006 iMac-- don't know whether it's G5 or Core Duo-- which would work except Skype EOLed all the clients available on the most recent OS it can run.
Tell them to all get iOS devices and just use FaceTime audio/video.

Actually how's Google Hangouts, would it work for this situation?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

eriddy posted:

Anyone use CarTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cartunes-music-player/id415408192?mt=8) on iOS8?

CarTunes got a lot of hype a year ago but that was also the last time the app got an update (Feb. 2013).

Yup. No issues.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Kaizoku posted:

Supposedly Nokia claimed rights infringement.

It was one of the individual VLC contributors. He worked for Nokia but it wasn't on his employer's behalf, this was totally his own personal crusade.

He got pissy about the fact that App Store distribution allegedly violated the terms of the GPL, under which VLC is licensed. The App Store comes with its own user agreement to download things, and they wrap the files in DRM. These supposedly violated a term of the GPL that you're not to distribute binaries under a more stringent license, or require additional agreements.

So he fired off a DMCA takedown to Apple, which was under his right. VLC's copyright is structured such that you remain a copyright holder of the code you write.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Is the "All Apple apps are free" thing only once per device? I picked up a used 5s, and iMovie still shows up as $5 for me.

Assuming that's the case, is there a better video editing app I should buy, or is iMovie the best choice?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

cbirdsong posted:

Is the "All Apple apps are free" thing only once per device? I picked up a used 5s, and iMovie still shows up as $5 for me.

Assuming that's the case, is there a better video editing app I should buy, or is iMovie the best choice?

No, it's tied to your iTunes account, but bugs out occasionally.

quote:

The iWork for iOS apps are free for anyone who has activated an iOS device for the first time since September 1, 2013. If your iOS device is older than that you will have to purchase the apps or a new device.

If your iOS device was activated for the first time after September 1, go to the App Store on your iPad which should open to Featured. If not, tap on Featured at the lower left of the screen & scroll down to Collections & tap on New to the App Store? then scroll down to Apps Made by Apple & tap. You should now see the iWork & iLife apps as "FREE."

You might also try signing out of your iTunes account, restarting the device, and accessing the store while not logged in.

If all else fails, contact support, but you shouldn't need to.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I went from a 5S to a 6+ yesterday and now I don't get any badges or notifications on Mailbox. Can anyone help me with this? Also, not sure if this is unusual or not, but Mailbox does not show up under Settings>Notification Center. It's not listed. Would really love some help on this.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

rear end Catchcum posted:

I went from a 5S to a 6+ yesterday and now I don't get any badges or notifications on Mailbox. Can anyone help me with this? Also, not sure if this is unusual or not, but Mailbox does not show up under Settings>Notification Center. It's not listed. Would really love some help on this.

I also have this issue. The only help as far as I know is wait for it to be addressed in an update. Some people have said deleting mailbox and then reinstalling fixed it, but I haven't been able to get it to work.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Honestly just makes me feel better knowing it's a known thing and not me turning off/on the wrong/right setting.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Honestly just makes me feel better knowing it's a known thing and not me turning off/on the wrong/right setting.

I ended up using Boxer for my iCloud emails because of the badge issue and the fact that mailbox.app still suffers from the COMICALLY HUGE font/keyboard not being optimized for the 6/6+.

e: I'm not saying go buy Boxer. I had purchased it before I moved to mailbox, so I already had it to fall back on.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Thanks for the thoughts. I don't use iCloud. Just Gmail. I really like Mailbox...I would be interested in that other e-mail app everyone was cumming over a little while ago but it just seemed a tad needlessly complex.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Thanks for the thoughts. I don't use iCloud. Just Gmail. I really like Mailbox...I would be interested in that other e-mail app everyone was cumming over a little while ago but it just seemed a tad needlessly complex.

http://inky.com

Inky is another option that's also free.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Does Google Maps on iOS not have a night mode, where it uses darker colors at night? It did on my Nexus 5, but it only uses bright colors on my 6+.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

CaptainPsyko posted:

No, it's tied to your iTunes account, but bugs out occasionally.

You might also try signing out of your iTunes account, restarting the device, and accessing the store while not logged in.

If all else fails, contact support, but you shouldn't need to.

He said it was a used 5s. Meaning someone else presumably activated it for the first time and got access to the apps for free.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Does Google Maps on iOS not have a night mode, where it uses darker colors at night? It did on my Nexus 5, but it only uses bright colors on my 6+.

It does not (yet). It's a known feature request - I'd recommend using the shake-to-send-feedback thing and sending a comment on the app saying you want it, if it'd make a big difference for you. Those reports actually get read by humans and taken into account when planning features.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

POCKET CHOMP posted:

He said it was a used 5s. Meaning someone else presumably activated it for the first time and got access to the apps for free.

Yeah, it definitely seems like this is the case. Can anyone recommend a better video editing app, or should I just pick up iMovie?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you need driving directions you might want to try Waze. It's a driving app that adjusts your route based on traffic and lets users report road hazards and the like. They were bought by Google a while back so you get the same traffic information in their app, but I still like the Waze app better. There's a night mode and if you don't like the extra alerts you can turn them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

If you need driving directions you might want to try Waze. It's a driving app that adjusts your route based on traffic and lets users report road hazards and the like. They were bought by Google a while back so you get the same traffic information in their app, but I still like the Waze app better. There's a night mode and if you don't like the extra alerts you can turn them off.

Will Waze notify you via Text-To-Speech about shorter routes? Google Maps does it, but it only seems to show up on the screen.