Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bvoid posted:

Will Waze notify you via Text-To-Speech about shorter routes? Google Maps does it, but it only seems to show up on the screen.

Yep! Changing your route because of traffic is its main feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I had to abandon Waze because despite driving it for two straight weeks, it refused to recognize the most obvious route to my work, despite the fact that in my own timed drives it was consistently faster than any of the routes it offered me. At one point it was literally advising that I drive six miles out of my way (on a 15 mile total commute), involving getting on a freeway, going two miles east, and then four miles back west, rather than going straight on a major highway. It worked fine for me in Phoenix, but there's something about Federal Blvd in Denver that it just does not like. Posted to their boards and nobody could find anything wrong with the route. So it became basically useless for me as a "find the fastest way to work every day" thing.

On the other hand, Google finds the obvious route, and if there's traffic or an accident, pulls the data from Waze. So I'm glad others are updating it and that Google pulls that data. Waze has been extremely useful for me as a division of Google.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I got waze last week but I usually use google maps. Does anyone know if it's basically the same or does waze still offer unique features beyond the gui and minor stuff like cop alert? I really just want best route accounting for traffic.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

minor stuff like cop alert

To me this is the killer feature. I won't use anything but Waze because I can feel pretty safe about speed traps.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So I'm a filmmaker, and I had been using a site called muralnot up until recently as a preproduction idea board. It's essentially a virtual cork board that you can put photos, links, videos, notes, etc onto. Here's an example:

But recently they've started charging a crazy monthly fee, so I need a replacement. Preferably something that works on ios and a website. Any suggestions?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Preferably something that works on ios and a website. Any suggestions?

Private Pinterest boards, maybe?

Or if you're already using CeltX anyway, you may be able to do it with one of their confusing combinations of iOS, desktop, and cloud apps.

Edit: Looks like you'd now have to be on a paid CeltX plan to get that functionality.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Molten Llama posted:

Or if you're already using CeltX anyway, you may be able to do it with one of their confusing combinations of iOS, desktop, and cloud apps.

Edit: Looks like you'd now have to be on a paid CeltX plan to get that functionality.

I'll look into pintrest.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Riven posted:

Waze has been extremely useful for me as a division of Google.

I don't know how the rest of the country was, but prior to Google's acquisition of Waze, for southern California Google would pull traffic information from Sigalert.com which had much more detailed information on accidents such as "stoppage in far left lane." On really bad accidents, the CHP dispatcher notes gave me some idea as to the severity of the accident and if I should be avoiding the area altogether or not. Waze within Google Maps is now "accident reported on (name of freeway, which is useless since everybody around here goes by the fwy # and not the name) by Waze."

Other than knowing *something* happened, it's useless.

I just use the SigAlert app now when something seems fishy with how fast I'm going, but perhaps this is more of a regional thing than anything else.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I bought my wife an Ipad 4, it's her first iOS device. We have a windows server with a ton of videos on it and she'd like to watch them with her new ipad.

What's the best app for this? Thanks!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

I bought my wife an Ipad 4, it's her first iOS device. We have a windows server with a ton of videos on it and she'd like to watch them with her new ipad.

Air Video HD.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

TheJoker138 posted:

Air Video HD.

Thanks. Hmm, so any app i want to do this with, i'll have to install something on my windows server to transcode the video?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

Thanks. Hmm, so any app i want to do this with, i'll have to install something on my windows server to transcode the video?

I can't think of anything that will do it without this, but someone else might be able to.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Mister Fister posted:

Pretty much. And as someone that really liked Air Video HD and used it for ages I urge you to check out Plex.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

porktree posted:

Pretty much. And as someone that really liked Air Video HD and used it for ages I urge you to check out Plex.

Guess i'll check out both, thanks!

That's really weird though, on my Nexus Tablet, i don't need to transcode anything. Wonder why there's such a technical limitation.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Mister Fister posted:

Did you just buy it? Because brand new ones are almost certainly being announced this week.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Do you guys have any recommendations for language apps? Going to Thailand for a few days and some basics wouldnt hurt.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

SynthOrange posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for language apps? Going to Thailand for a few days and some basics wouldnt hurt.

Memrise.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, uh, it keeps bouncing me back and forth between the app and the site to get the language courses added on and the site doesnt load properly on a phone. (all the confirmation buttons are outside the viewable, auto-resizing window, what the gently caress). Ideally it'd all be on the phone without having to load any stuff.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 13, 2014

Smoot
Feb 18, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

Guess i'll check out both, thanks!

That's really weird though, on my Nexus Tablet, i don't need to transcode anything. Wonder why there's such a technical limitation.

There isn't actually a limitation, there are several apps that will decode on-device. I use It's Playing to stream videos from my NAS's Samba share.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah, uh, it keeps bouncing me back and forth between the app and the site to get the language courses added on and the site doesnt load properly on a phone. (all the confirmation buttons are outside the viewable, auto-resizing window, what the gently caress). Ideally it'd all be on the phone without having to load any stuff.

I haven't used it in a while, sorry it's messed up. I was gonna suggest Duolingo but it doesn't have Thai which is what I'm assuming you're wanting to learn...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Smoot posted:

There isn't actually a limitation, there are several apps that will decode on-device. I use It's Playing to stream videos from my NAS's Samba share.
Yeah there's a bunch, I use nPlayer myself. Well there's a bunch that can play stuff but last I tried looking (way back at this point) not everything did streaming, along with the others that use a transcoding server app...so searching might bring up a whole bunch of useless stuff for your use.

One nicety of the transcoding apps though is that they work better outside the LAN if that ever comes up cause they can reduce quality down enough for remote connections or your home upload limit.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Molten Llama posted:

Following up on this: I looked at Pinterest and while you can make a board full of stuff, there's no way to arrange it at all. I need something that's like a virtual cork board.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

Following up on this: I looked at Pinterest and while you can make a board full of stuff, there's no way to arrange it at all. I need something that's like a virtual cork board.
I wouldn't be surprised if there's something on iOS that'd work (god knows there's a bunch of random stuff), but I wouldn't be so sure about something that'd work on the web too. I'd try searching for general terms like art board or paste board (or table? I forget the common artsy terms). Maybe look into mind mapping stuff too cause that should also give you physical/visual layout of stuff and I think there's larger companies supporting that workflow name.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Similar question to streaming via Plex, I have a Time Capsule. Anyway to stream a video saved on it to an iPhone or iPad?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Riven posted:

Did you just buy it? Because brand new ones are almost certainly being announced this week.

Yeah, i bought it on sale for $299, so i can't complain. I figure the $100 price cut is in response to the new ipads coming out soon.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Smoot posted:

Cool thanks. I notice that XBMC is available, but you need a jailbroken device, that sucks. Wonder why they aren't allowed on the app store.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Mister Fister posted:

Cool thanks. I notice that XBMC is available, but you need a jailbroken device, that sucks. Wonder why they aren't allowed on the app store.

I imagine since XBMC is GPLd, it's not on the App Store for the same reason as VLC is not on the App Store. There's a school of thought that believes that App Store distribution is incompatible with the GPL since an end user does not have the ability to modify the software and run it on their device. You can, if you buy yourself a developer key for $100/year, but that's not really going with the spirit of the license.

If you're jailbroken then you still have the ability to modify the software and run it on your own device.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is Handoff supposed to carry over your progress in whatever you're doing? That seems to be what they're selling it as but with the limited apps I can actually test it with, I just get a blank Note/iMessage/whatever.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm looking for a photo manager. The problem that I'm having is I've performed roughly 17 iPhone back-ups since I had an iPhone. I typically just drag what I have on my phone into my external HDD. The problem with doing so, is I just have 17 folders of iPhone photos and tons of duplicates. What do you guys suggest I use to re-organize my photos but at the same time, safely removing my duplicates?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

obi_ant posted:

I'm looking for a photo manager. The problem that I'm having is I've performed roughly 17 iPhone back-ups since I had an iPhone. I typically just drag what I have on my phone into my external HDD. The problem with doing so, is I just have 17 folders of iPhone photos and tons of duplicates. What do you guys suggest I use to re-organize my photos but at the same time, safely removing my duplicates?

iPhoto works really well.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Podcasts app on iPhone 6 -

I noticed when using bluetooth in my car that hitting the "Next" control on the wheel/stereo will skip to the next podcast in the "All Unplayed" playlist, but once you get to the end of the list it won't go back to the beginning and just stops playing. You're forced you to open the app and start a podcast manually.

Is this normal behavior, and if it is is there a podcast app that will do what I want and also check for/download new podcasts periodically?

Edit: Just tried Pocket Casts and it has no skip feature you can access with in-car seek controls, and you have to manually add stuff to playlists :(

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 14, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The OP mentions PaperKarma as free but it actually is a trial and after you try to stop a few catalogs it wants you to pay $10 or spam all your friends. For something that I don't have much confidence in working, not sure why someone would pay for it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

smackfu posted:

The OP mentions PaperKarma as free but it actually is a trial and after you try to stop a few catalogs it wants you to pay $10 or spam all your friends. For something that I don't have much confidence in working, not sure why someone would pay for it.

I scanned about 100 letters (no joke) and it never asked me for any money?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I'm just now noticing it too. I've had the app since the end of 2012. :stare:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I've been using Accompli for about a week or so now. It's pretty great. One thing I find myself wondering, however, is what the [RSVP] Button actually does. My wife sent me a google invite and I tap it and it didn't notify her nor did it updated my google calendar.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, I'm not sure when PaperKarma changed to a trial. I wouldn't be surprised if they expect everyone to choose the "spam friends" option.

But here's what it looks like:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

PaperKarma has recently gotten really loving terrible at actually identifying and canceling anything for me anyway, so it's not a huge loss anymore. It was a good idea, but something seems to have changed over there.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

TheJoker138 posted:

PaperKarma has recently gotten really loving terrible at actually identifying and canceling anything for me anyway, so it's not a huge loss anymore. It was a good idea, but something seems to have changed over there.

VC ran out, had to pay rent... probably.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Can someone who bit the bullet and re-purchased the "new" GoodReader tell me if it's at all worth it?

I mostly just use it to sync my KeePass database and the occasional file from my Dropbox and FTP accounts.

If there is significant improvement over the original app's UI, I'd consider buying it again but if it's just the same clusterfuck of "What does THIS button do??" then I'll pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
It's a Universal app if that helps at all. I bought it because I already had GoodReader on my iPad and this got me the upgrade and the iPhone version. If that's not a factor for you, I don't actually recall having run into anything that made me think "Oh this is a nice new feature I didn't have before."