Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

benisntfunny posted:

Maybe I'm dumb but what is "media" code for? Maybe you can use a little more vague words to describe.

I use Plex all the time. But it plays media so I'm not sure that's what you're asking.

Probably the usual video formats would be my guess.

:filez:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Well that's loving stupid.

Yes, one of the largest - if not the largest - online retailers of books, music, software, and movies deciding not to help a company that directly competes with it in those fields to launch a new and potentially extremely lucrative payment model is just loving moronic.

Clearly the people who run Amazon know nothing about how to conduct business.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

if space isn't a huge issue Quickoffice is fine. I don't know if there is a recent version (I have it on an old iPad 1 that I use for lecturing so the software is ancient) but it handles .pdfs just fine, plus all the other regular text formats. I'm pretty sure it has google drive integration as well.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cross posting from the MacOS thread since this is a iOS/MacOS question:

I've got a question about Photos and iCloud.

My mother in law has a MacBook, an iPhone, and an iPad. She takes a poo poo load of photos. Her iPhone is a couple years old and has whatever the minimum drive size back then. I've set her up to automatically upload her photos to iCloud so she can get them across all her devices, but her phone is still yelling at her that it is out of space. I know it supposedly has lower res versions of the icloud photos on the phone, but we're talking a LOT of photos. I think something on the order of 6 gigs at least. She still wants to be able to take pictures on her phone, though. Is there a way to set it up so that photos from the phone will upload to the cloud but she can delete the photos on her phone without nuking them on the cloud as well? What if I disconnected the phone from the cloud, deleted all the photos there, and then had her sync the phone with the laptop? Would that automatically transfer the photos to the computer and, eventually the cloud?

Note that "don't use iCloud, it sucks" isn't really a good answer. This is a 65 year old retired teacher who has very limited technical expertise. We want this as automated and pain free as possible.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

duckfarts posted:

Can't you just get an external usb hard drive?

That would kind of defeat the purpose of getting her on iCloud in the first place. It's strictly an issue with the local copies of the stuff on iCloud eating all the storage on her phone. She wants the iCloud functionality on her iPad, wants to be able to take pictures on her phone and have it bounce from the cloud to the iPad, but bought the lowest budget iPhone possible a few years ago.

Having her switch to google photos is something I"d like to avoid. Again, 65 year old mother in law who isn't all that technically savvy. She likes her photos and I like not having to be long distance tech support when some third party program changes how it works or stops talking to the OS like it should.

If the answer is just to tell her not to take photos with her phone and take iCloud off it that's doable, and increasingly it's looking like what we're going to have to do.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

flosofl posted:

Won't Photo Stream auto upload to the iCloud library without actually pulling it in return if you have "iCloud Photo Library" turned off? It's a separate slider under Photos.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I didn't know that slider was there at all and for some reason none of the stuff I read online about this issue mentioned that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

tuyop posted:

What's the app for browsing through my photo library and using a tinder-esque swipe to delete or save?

It doesn't solve the problem of getting space free on her phone though. I think her easiest option is to just plug it into Photos.app on the Mac and check the "delete after syncing" box. She'll only have a copy on the laptop at that point though, and she'll run out of space sooner or later and need an external.

The laptop isn't anything like a choke point yet. She has an external but only ever backs up when I go over and do it for her. iCloud came about mostly because I'm worried about her losing it all if there is a fire, robbery, etc. These photos mean a lot to her and it's worth the dollar a month for off-site storage that she doesn't have to manage.

Deleting photos on her phone after a bit and just uploading them to iCloud is looking like the best solution for her. Again, that laptop is on infrequently, usually only when she needs to print something or needs to type something longer than she wants to deal with on an iPad.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

eightysixed posted:

I know I'm way behind the times, but I bought a new iPad recently, at that leaves my iPad Generation 1 up for toying around with. What is the best way to jailbreak the original iPad 1 which is, of course, ceiling locked to 5.1.1?

Bumping this because I'm in the same boat. I've got an iPad 1 that is just a video player and ebook reader at this point. Tell me cool jailbreal poo poo to do with it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mr Scumbag posted:

Thanks. I Kind of remember being able to transfer an X-Com save, so that why I was a little confused by this. I guess app designers get the option to make them non-universal to avoid "sharing" of the benefits of microtransactions?

At this point I'm just curious if anyone knows the ins and outs of this.

A lot of it depends on the game. WIth a lot of them there are ways to transfer your information to another device. SOme use a recovery code, and on others you can delve into the file system using any one of a number of utilities and manually copy the save info over to your other device. Other offer an option to link it to another account, frequently facebook.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Does anyone have a suggestion for a news aggregator? The ios9 news app was one of the three most used apps for me but the new version is loving horrible.

I'm really pissed at myself for not backing up before upgrading. I'd be willing to downgrade to 9 but like an idiot I just mashed update.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

dik-dik posted:

Nuzzel is ok

How reliant is it on twitter? I don't have a twitter account.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

it doesn't seem to do this for me, or at least "Top News Stories" seems to take maximum precedence.

Looking at the news app now, one of the top stories in "For You" from a tabloid I don't subscribe to about a singer's plastic surgery. Most of what I tried subscribing to were tech blogs.

Actually, is there any way to customise "For You"? Most of these categories aren't stuff I'm ever gonna be reading about so I'd like to push the relevant stuff to the top.

Nope, at least not that I've been able to find and I looked all around for this. The "Trending stories" and "top stories" that it insists on throwing at you isn't really something you can twiddle with.

edit: Plus I really ,really preferred the old chronological view rather than grouping it into categories.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

That's a shame. I'm quite happy for Apple to build some big sinister profile on my interests if it makes their news aggregation better for me. Less celebrity and film news and more rumours on the next iPhone's big feature based on a patent that Steve Jobs' third-cousin failed to successfully apply in 1993 please.

The straw that broke the camels back was when it would not stop bumping some story about Kim kardashians newest emoji to the top.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

obi_ant posted:

What’s an app that my wife and I can use, that’s super simple, and has a very clean interface for sharing things like grocery lists and item pricing. I also want it to have push notifications.

Don’t think it has push notifications but we’ve been using Buy Me A Pie for this for years

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Neurophonic posted:

Better (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/better-blocker/id1080964978) and Hush (https://oblador.github.io/hush/) do a fairly decent job. Most of the modals for cookies are so varied in implementation that I gather it’s hard to effectively bypass most of them without doing a blanket ‘accept all’ automation.

Any recommendations for one over the other?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I keep thinking I should make the switch to DDG as my search engine. Are the results pretty comparable in quality to Google these days?

Pretty much. If you plug the same search into both of them you might get some slightly different results but they're basically comparable. I've been using DDG for a couple years now and don't miss google at all.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Any suggestions on an alternate news aggregator? The News app is just so clogged with news+ suggestions that it’s gotten pretty annoying.

There are tons of individual apps for different outlets, looking for one that pulls those together.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

maduin posted:

I’ve actually been using and enjoying Artifact, which is from the guys who created Instagram and sold it to Facebook. It’s pretty solid, and definitely more the Apple News aggregator style than some sort of RSS reader. Might be worth checking it out.

This is perfect, thanks.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Legs Benedict posted:

my only problem with artifact aside from it occasionally surfacing paywalled content was the fact that some articles were so heavily ad-ridden. i’d forgotten what the un-adblocked web had looked like

I’ve noticed a lot of blank spots where ads should be. I think one of my ad blockers is working inside it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ve only ever bothered using Notes beyond a brief fling with Evernote back before iCloud was a thing, but now I’m stuck working out which side of the curve I’m on and I don’t think I’m gonna like the answer.

I'm 100% on the left side and my wife is 100% on the right side. After like a loving decade of marriage we started a couple joint notes for random poo poo like monthly discretionary spending and poo poo we need to buy at the store. I made the first drafts and it was like:

* bread
* diet coke
* those crackers you like
* soup

and then she got her hands on it and all of a sudden it had like formatting and a no bullshit table and poo poo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

how is the siri integration with those other apps?

Because it's convenient as hell to just slap my watch and say "set a reminder to do that thing at 7pm on thursday"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Corb3t posted:

What mobile browser are you using? I've tried them all, and find Safari the most user friendly, even though I don't prefer Safari on desktop.

Maybe one day Google will update their ~design language~ to make apps like Chrome and Maps more user friendly on mobile devices and put the address/search bar near the bottom of the app.

DDG is pretty solid on iOS. I haven't moved over completely, but it's earned a spot on my phone alongside Safari.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah can confirm that. I’m using windows iCloud daily. It works pretty well.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

xzzy posted:

The icloud website is pretty slick these days but it has the major flaw of forgetting who you are every week. I'm fine with 2FA and being secure but if I say 'trust this computer' it should persist for a year. It makes the service feel like it's punishing me for not using an official apple device to access my data.

I don’t mess with the website but the windows client on my PC has been ticking along happily for something like 8 months without asking for another login

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Any recommendations for an Apple News replacement? I was using Artifact but they’re making GBS threads the bed trying to become Twitter.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

101 posted:

RSS a viable option?

Ehhhh I just want a lazy app that can spoon feed me news stories from a variety of sources without constantly including a bunch of crap I need to pay $9.99/mo for in the + version of the app.

I’m not really looking to cultivate an RSS.

Edit: like the actual News app would be ideal
if a loving third of it wasn’t paid, or if I had an option to pay them $5 to permanently hide the + stories or whatever.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

xzzy posted:

YouTube's recommendation algorithm is such complete poo poo I'm not sure having it download stuff you haven't watched would be any better. You watch a single pop science or history video and every single suggestion for the next month is gonna be the most generic clickbaity garbage that hit the same keywords.

God help your soul if you accidentally click a family guy compilation video. Hope you like nothing but Seth Green for the next thousand years.

edit: Yes i know you can manually go and pull that out of your watch history. Still, it's hilarious how heavily they weight that poo poo. Watched nothing but computer part reviews and long form video essays for the last five years? We won't surface any of that poo poo, but holy crap you admit you know who Peter Griffin is? Enjoy a billion suggestions of Stewies sickest burns (BRIAN HATES THIS!)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Losing my mind and hoping someone has ran into this before. My view history on my iPad install of youtube very infrequently is reflected on desktop youtube. It kills me because I'll be watching long form broadcasts of events and stuff and then it won't save my place. Opening the app again on the iPad doesn't even seem to reliably remember how much of something I've watched.

What should I try? I reinstalled and it didn't fix anything. I'm not watching in incognito mode and I'm definitely logged into the same google account.

I was having a similar problem and my ultimate solution was to just download long-form videos that I'll want to watch over a couple of sittings with yt-dlg and then throw them up on my Jellyfin server.

As a bonus, no ads.

But yeah, for all the data google hoovers up they're loving terrible at remembering where in a long video I was stopped, or even pointing me BACK to that long video. Can't count the number of times I was watching something, exited the app for a second to do something, and then it's just loving gone and I can't find it again.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I don’t see a way in Photos to sort by file size, though. I can go into each video and see what the size it but doing it one at a time would take forever.

Trimming stuff wouldn’t be ideal since it would again need me to go in one by one to save a few seconds here and there, plus I want the full 59 seconds of my dog trying not to fall asleep, but the video doesn’t need to be 590MB for that.

Unfortunately even the inbuilt video re-encoder using Shortcuts strips all the date and location metadata. :(

You can do it in the Windows icloud client. It just presents as a standard window, so you've got all the regular sort options.

Now, I'm not 100% sure if changes you make directly there translate to blasting it from the cloud storage in general. I'd need to do some testing, I could see it going either way.

At the very least it's a good way to identify oddly large files. I, for example, apparently have a 1.1gb video of some bats circling a street light that I do not remember at all.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Is there a way to sort apps by the last date of use?

Basically I'm trying to cull the billion stupid little one-off apps that have accumulated on my phone like barnacles, and it would be really sweet if I could see that oh hey I haven't interacted with this one in 2 years etc.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Settings/General/iPhone Storage/Last Used Date

Thanks, I was digging in the wrong menus. Didn't think to check storage.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

priznat posted:

Yeah I have news as part of the One bundle but it annoys me frequently. Like not being able to truly block, or the stupid ads. I tried that artifact thing for a bit for news and it was not great either and is defunct now I think. Meh.

I kind of liked artifact when it was a news agitator, before it tried to be a social media site. Just let me like or dislike a news article and feed me more or less of the same.

But yeah it went under.

The News app would be great if over 30% of the poo poo on it wasn’t News+ only crap trying to sell me a sub. I’d happily pay $20 to unlock a setting to just block all news+ content.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The other problem with an RSS is that it just scrapes the content from the source regardless of what it is specifically about. This is fine if it's a niche website where you actually want to read all their stuff, less fine if you're trying to get a basket of articles from different sources on a single topic.

Yes there are other programs you can use to filter it but it turns into a janitorial job in and of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Anecdotally as an ignorant user it certainly feels like something changed in how google and apple talk to each other. I had to turn off pulling contacts from google because all of a sudden it was flooding my contacts list with literally every email account that sent me something on that account. poo poo like customer service bots and shipping confirmations from do not reply email addresses.

It was easy enough to fix but goddamn that was an unpleasant surprise. No idea what they changed, but it certainly had an impact.