Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Overcast's actual 2x and smart speed are worth the price of admission alone. Going from podcast app's fake-2x-that's-actually-1.67x to effectively 2.2-2.4x is incredible. Plus the downloader knows that if I delete an in progress download, that removes it from playlists and doesn't try to get that episode again later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

maduin posted:

Overcast free version is pretty good for someone who casually listens to podcasts.

also if you listen to podcasts a good amount, the $5 upgrade on overcast is a STEAL. Smart Speed has currently saved me an additional 43+ hours since overcast's release.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Teddybear posted:

Hm. I've been using Downcast for a long while, but I might give this a go. I listen to a ton of podcasts, so this might help.

Smart Speed is a revelation. It works by preprocessing the audio file, finding where the silences are, and removing them.

I already listen to my podcasts at true 2x speed (I say true because the apple podcast app lies, 2x speed there is actually 1.67x) and turning on smart speed boosts that up to 2.4-2.9x without making it any tougher to understand.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I assume other apps can as well, but Apple's Podcasts app can play at more than 1x. The biggest drawback I see to not using Podcasts is a lack of sync ability with iTunes, since I like to archive especially good episodes.

In addition, Overcast's 2X speed is true 2X. Apple Podcast's 2X speed is 1.67X

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

Overcast has a web player at their website that syncs with your app. This sold it for me because I can listen to pods on my laptop at work.

Also Marco has tweeted that there eventually will be a desktop mac client.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

I like downcast and don't know why overcast is better

Smart speed has saved me 60 additional hours on top of regular speed doubling.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

There is zero reason to use any podcast app beyond Overcast. smart speed/true 2X+ is the best thing to happen to podcasts since apple's fake 2X speed.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Slowhanded posted:

The web client's okay. Sync's wonky and it has no playlist support. I wish Marco would develop an actual app for it, but he's mentioned before on his podcast it's not worth his time considering how small the app market is nowadays for OSX. That said, Overcast is still my favorite iOS app, and arguably one of the best apps in the whole store.

I would pay $20 for mac desktop overcast with smart speed. I got the impression a mac app could happen in 2015, and I'm still hoping.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Slowhanded posted:

Aside from the heavily produced podcasts and/or those run by formerly radio guys (e.g., TAL, Planet Money, 99% Invisible and its ilk), most of the podcasts I listen to are done by normal joes who have a day job other than broadcasting. The feature helps incredibly in creating a smoother, more natural-sounding conversations for these podcasts. For what it's worth, since the option is podcast-by-podcast, I have it turned off for former set.

Every person has a preferred rate of speech in conversation. Overcast's smart speed just helps you dial each podcast onto your preferred cadence, and it does nearly seamlessly at the lower settings.

Note also that Smart Speed removes silences, so it doesn't work on any sections with music/crowd/background noise in them, even very soft music. That means a lot of the performance-based/heavily produced podcasts are essentially untouched

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Disappointing Pie posted:

It really is neat perfect. I listen to mostly unprofessional podcasts things like the Bombcasts and MBMBAM and it really makes the podcasts sound tighter and more produced than anything.

I checked this afternoon, I'm at 138 hours saved. I think I listen to too many podcasts.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

An Enormous Boner posted:

Well that means they suck at what they're putting out there, which is not acceptable to me. Also that has everything to do with normal pacing of speech, because it is literally the pacing of their speech/conversation.

Podcasts aren't 100% performance art, man

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

cbirdsong posted:

I find Smart Speed highly useful for many shows, but Hardcore History is one of the podcasts it is not good for. Anything highly produced, really. Bunch of dudes chatting, though? It's great.

Bunch of folks chatting is perfect. Everyone in the group becomes incredibly witty when there's less of a gap between speakers. it's like they're all waiting to zing each other.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

~Coxy posted:

I don't understand why people update Facebook.app.

I don't understand why people have it on their phones in the first place. Facebook is a platform best used once a week for 5 minutes tops.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I'm sorry you don't have friends.

Your friends on facebook aren't talking to you. they're talking to everyone they're friends with. Your actual friends call/text/email/see you in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The latest iOS/iPadOS kindle apps now lose your book’s position if you background or kill the app. Thanks amazon!