Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

For audio books I use bound and love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Housh posted:

Is there a good app managing and listening to audiobooks in mp3 format?

Bound

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I use carrot

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What are people using for push notifications now? Looks like the pushullet app hasn’t been updated in a year. Looking for chrome/windows to iOS pushes.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

xzzy posted:

Passing a url or some random text from one device to the other. If you have a mac desktop handoff works, but lots of people have non mac desktops.

Yeah its this. Passing chrome tab / url / text to my phone from my laptops. I run Windows so yeah Mac OS doesn't apply in my case. Might try Pushover again, I think I bought the app way back.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

OneDrive had dark mode like the day ios13 came out

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Like GPS tracks?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

Which to-do app do people use now that everyone and their mother stopped creating them?

I use AnyList

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Did Apple change the requirement for sign in with apple? Finding some apps I wish had sign in with apple but they just have google and facebook. I thought they were requiring it as of this spring.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

nessin posted:

I can't get the Books app to actually see the audiobooks I've marked in iTunes and imported, despite iTunes showing they're on the device. Is there a recommended alternative for listening to audiobooks outside of Audible?

Bound

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

1Password does own, I use eero secure and that includes a family sub.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Did apple remove the Siri app suggestions? I use the search to launch apps but it is missing now.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Still there for me

Odd, fixed after a reboot

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Snowy posted:

Now that LastPass is doing it’s weird thing with picking either mobile or pc for the free account, what’s my best option if I want to switch password managers?

1Password

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

Any apps I can download YouTube videos as mp3s? I loved Newpipe on Android but haven’t found an iOS equivalent.

I think JAYD shortcut can do this check routinehub

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

MorrisBae posted:

Just did a free trial of YouTube Music and really liked it

Now, I know a free alternative would be downloading the YouTube audio files as MP3's and then syncing them with iTunes - but is there an app that would let me download the audio directly to my phone?

Don’t know of an app but there are plenty of shortcuts. Check JAYD I think it’s on routinehub.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Ugh, why did they get rid of the list of podcasts with recently posted episodes! I don’t need a list of Recently Followed pods Apple!

I liked having that for podcasts I didn’t subscribe to but might pick out an episode or two every now and then.

I have latest episodes on my client

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The new plex downloads feature is pretty slick and works far better than the old sync feature.

What are people using to add loyalty cards to wallet?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

LPG Giant posted:

I prefer Pass4Wallet. It allows you to customize a lot and is really made for putting all your cards in Apple Wallet. Stocard only allows some cards which means you still have to open the app sometimes, which is slow and full of ads.

Thanks

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Lens does PDF

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I am looking for a drawing app for my daughter. She has a 7th gen and Apple Pencil. What is my best bet? She is in preschool.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

And the downloads actually download

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Neurophonic posted:

I also use Vinegar but to be honest, I just signed up for YouTube Premium via a VPN to India. It costs the equivalent of about a buck a month, which I’ll happily pay to never see an ad on any device with no hassles.

The process is stupidly easy. You have to provide an Indian postal address, but I literally just made up the most ridiculous thing I could think of and had zero issues. My credit card certainly isn’t registered there, but the fee is so low I guess they don’t even check?

For an extra buck I can add five people to my ‘family’ all on their own existing YouTube accounts.
Oh and that includes YouTube Music, although I’ve never used it.

There is one huge downside to this. I don’t get sick recommended playlists of local content like I do in my Brazilian Tidal account. I signed up for that one while living there briefly, and they don’t seem to mind that I’ve not been out there since Covid…

Same but I used Argentina and a privacy.com virtual card

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Violator posted:

You might be able to do something like create a shortcut as an app and have it record audio. Then put that on the Home screen as the only app and then hide the other pages so it’s the only app.

You could also use voice memos and turn on the user guided accessibility option. That lets you draw boxes on the screen and then only those “safe” areas are tappable and everything else is restricted and you can’t exit the app. So you could restrict people going back and just have access to the play record button.

But these might be too esoteric if you want 80 year uncle Gordie to do it. Or you have some rear end in a top hat 12 year olds who would think it’s funny to screw it up.

Maybe you can find a photo booth app that does video? There has to be a ton of those and it might be more fun to see them as well even if it’s grainy.

Agree with the video you part, we had a Polaroid and it is still fun looking at the photos and videos. We set up a public Dropbox and got tons of submissions.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Anybody know the best app for playing audiobooks transferred from a PC? Like a player where you can import files and the like rather than only buying them in-app

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bound-audiobook-player/id1041727137

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

That doesn’t seem like a very clear development path

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Brave lets me play videos in the background with the phone off as audio. Can anything else replace this feature?

YouTube app can

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I use the AP news app

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

gently caress’s sake. Was going to settle in for an evening of AppleTV+ and now when I launch the TV app on my iPad I don’t see any channels, ATV+, or anything but the garbage I purchased from iTunes movie store ten years ago. Signed out of my AppleID and back in, no change. Checked my subscription status right from the app and it shows ATV+, britbox, acornTV and all the other a la carte things I’m paying for but suddenly can’t access.

Rebooted the iPad, still no love. Ugh.

Check your iPhone?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1616199663715029001?s=46&t=z3_mQVYDnc3BSS-YbYO8kw

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Good ereader for iPadOS / iOS? I have many different formats.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thanks for the recommendations, kinda wild not having an app update for five years

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

tuyop posted:

Alright I'm ready to give up. Does anyone have any good pain tracking apps they could recommend? I'm pretty close to just using a spreadsheet.

I use the Heath app to track my meds, what are you looking to do?

kri kri fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 28, 2023

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Dark sky does all that I think

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Sorry 😢

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Apple Music?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Found this weather app that seems to work pretty well

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/weather-widget-weawow/id1209810737

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I never use snooze

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I sub to Apple one only. Used to do carrot it lapsed. If you do sub, always cancel it immediately.

Have no use for a package tracking app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I use the ap news app