Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I have never had thumbs only love / unlove

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

VPN to sign up for YouTube premium. I think I pay about $4 a month for YT family.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Mint is closing, so I’m looking for a new budgeting app. I use Mac OS X as well, and I’d like something not 100% manual. I use wings credit union if that matters.

Shared budget is a must, preferably using iCloud.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

101 posted:

1Password is the only non-Apple mom-safe solution imo

All the others are either a little too complex/jank, or have proven themselves unable to secure your poo poo (looking at you, LastPass)

Yep the family vault sharing is great

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I used Fuelly for a long time to track car mileage and tuneups but just realized it hasn’t received any updates in years… what’s a good car mileage/service tracking app? Simple and actively updated are what I need.

I use road trip

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Is there a good ebook reading app which can show bookmarks/clippings across multiple books? I have a collection of cookbooks on my iPad and I’d like to be able to browse through all the things I’ve bookmarked in one go, rather than having to open each one individually.

Books.app?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

I use AnyList because it has a family sharing feature so we work from the same shopping list and meal plan. Requires a subscription for that ($15/year household or $10/year individual) and a few other advanced features but I think it does basically everything most of these types of apps do.

It also does have quite a lot of free features - if you're single and don't care about importing recipes, it's actually decent as a free app: https://www.anylist.com/features

This is what I use, mostly for the shared list function. I could probably use notes.app now but I’m lazy and I don’t want to retrain my spouse.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

Is there a good go-to app that will take a minute by minute sampling of your gps location and map it? I know workouts does exactly this, but I'm thinking more in a travel/tourism context.

I'm looking back to all my trips abroad and wishing I had a better way of remembering the little routes I took and side streets I visited, and unless it triggers a workout on my watch I don't really have a log of being there after the fact.

I know there's some built in iOS functionality to track significant locations but I don't think that's really exposed.

Phone might not be the best option here for battery life, but I guess until I hear otherwise that's kind of my plan for this year, so I want to see if there are any good options.

If you are into selfhosting, you can do https://github.com/traccar/traccar

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Well poo poo alright thank you guys for at least confirming this isn't in my head. Guess I'll take screenshots so I can remember where I left off.

Or just buy YouTube premium using a vpn for dollars a month

Mine has always worked fine, but I always use the app never a browser

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

There is absolutely no way they close/ban your Gmail account because you tried to do a vpn trick for region specific YouTube premium discounts.

This, I would imagine they would just remove your premium.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

That’s the plan once my trial expires.

Can you “definitely live in Hungary” for a family plan too? I’ve heard it doesn’t work as smoothly if you wanna do that.

My ukranian family YT plan works just fine

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Nice. I heard some reports about family accounts forcing stricter location checks or something but if I can get it without needing to use dummy accounts or anything like that then that’s perfect.

Nah I did nothing special, I think I did read though people joining the family plan after subbing might have an issue? My family was in place, I signed into a vpn in Ukraine and subbed using a privacy.com card.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Ah yeah I think it might've been having to sign up for a local virtual card that might've been the awkward bit for some people. Did you have to have a full on subscription before to set up the Family stuff? This is just so I can share it with my partner and friends so we don't have parent/child accounts or anything like that set up.

I’ve had my family account for years, and just added the YouTube plan.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I’m just really put off by the huge leap between the two storage options with no middle ground. Feels skeevy in terms of pricing.

Oh nice. I think I set up the iCloud we nodes app forever ago so I’ll need to see if it’s there and I can see what the worst offenders are. Then I’ll need to look into video conversion while keeping metadata.

It sucks. You could do 2tb iCloud or onedrive. I choose to do both, along with a local copies and backups.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

For peeps looking for an iptv app, I have been liking https://www.uhfapp.com/

I have been using iptvx but its been pretty buggy, and its a yearly sub vs uhf has a lifetime option. Also, if youd like an iptv recommendation I have a solid option I have been using for a couple years now.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Zero One posted:

I found out recently it's pretty good at reading text in your photos and can search by that.

I was looking for a picture of my TV I took a decade ago. Didn't know the exact date but searching for "American Idol" as a long shot pulled it right up (the picture had the show name on the screen).

Why were you watching american idol

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Zero One posted:

Because a family member was on it. The picture is of them on the show.

Noice

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What do y'all like for budget apps? I would ilke: icloud syncing between MY WIFE and myself, and to be able to sync my accounts. I dont have the desire to manually sync poo poo. I have wings credit union if that matters,

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

atomicpile posted:

Been using copilot for about the last 6/mo. It’s different but I like it.

Yeah I’m trying that, also trying Piere as well.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Don't think anything like that has happened yet. Think I read something about Mozilla being annoyed with the changes now because they have to maintain two different browser versions now or something?

e: https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/26/24052067/mozilla-apple-ios-browser-rules-firefox

I thought lazy devs only existed in video gaming, guess not.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Do you not watch WWDC?

Nope

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Arivia posted:

i don't think it's right to call them "lazy" - they're right, apple is basically making them ship two mostly different applications under the same name, one inside the EU and one outside it

I was being sarcastic

Also, why does Apple News show a headline for blocked news sources? I might have to stop using it again.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 15, 2024

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Alternatively I've found that just signing up for their email and/or sms tracking is "good enough" and I don't really need it updated in real time in a shiny app.

Yeah this

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Just sign up for YouTube premium using Ukraine vpn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

This is probably a very stupid one to look for but is there a good app to track my haircutsrecommend a new haircut for me based on a 3D scan of my big dumb head? I figure ARKit probably has a better sense of fashion than I do.

Hmm, maybe next time I’m at my PC I’ll try it through a browser I’ve never logged into anything with and see if that helps. Do I need to set up a virtual credit card usually?

I use a privacy.com card, and set a $5 monthly limit or whatever.