Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

flosofl posted:

Goons, Beats Music or Spotify? Tell me which one I should get and why.

While the social stuff is nice, that part doesn't really interest me. I'm more interested in variety of playlists and how easy they are to discover and how the app changes to your tastes over time. I currently have trial on both, but I don't think a week is enough time to really get what the advantages of each are.

A few weeks ago I started exploring iTunes radio for while I'm at work. For a free product I'm getting pretty much what I want when I create a playlist based off of an artist. Their canned lists are not very good, especially after they pruned out alot of the niche ones.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

code:
> GET APP

You killed a little dwarf.

>

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The CEO is asking for a password manager that will run on his iPhone and computers. My past experience with password managers left me feeling that they are clumsy, unintuitive pieces of crap.

That said I'd like to hear if anyone has suggestions.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Thanks for the quick answers. I'll give Lastpass a try to see how it goes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

duckfarts posted:

Splashtop Wired XDisplay is currently free, is an app that lets you use your device as an extra display for your PC or Mac, seems useful as this is something I've been looking for myself

Thank you for this.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

What does Outlook do that the default mail app doesn't? I haven't felt like I've been missing out on anything.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The CEO at work dunked his iPhone at the end of a three week safari in Africa and is bemoaning the loss of all the photos and videos he shot. He was under the assumption that Dropbox was autosyncing them along with iCloud's backup and photo library.

Is there a reliable method to keep his photos and videos synced that doesn't require any action on his part? He's a high level consumer of technology with low level comprehension.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I hope Apple allows Navigon or at least Google maps into Carplay.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I don't drive much so I haven't given Carplay a serious workout, but during a few long trips from L.A. to AZ things have gone smoothly. I use Apple Maps when I take a long city drive and although the traffic display is spotty and I find the controls not well thought out it gets the job done. Like Navigon the screen where you can select from multiple routes is too small and messy to be good for anything, but I miss Navigon's freeway exit previews. I was surprised to see that on a smartphone GPS app. They also make it really easy to select only the states you want pre-loaded.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

Going to delete Gboard. It was cool, but I don't use swype and it is too unstable. It crashes maybe 25% of the time I need it to work.

Part of why iPhone was a great ecosystem for devs was a small, closed hardware model. It is still closed, but now devs need to make each app work for each one of a dozen possible HW/iOS combos. Looks like mine is a bad combo for Gboard.

I'd started with Swype but it got worse and worse over time to the point where I felt like I was slower than with the regular keyboard. Switched to the Microsoft one and man what a difference. I spend so little time having to back up and start over on a word.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Any recommendations for weight loss/calorie tracking apps? Gonna try to be disciplined over the next 2 months.

What happens when the 2 months are up? Going to let it all hang out?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

withak posted:

Just do what I do and write down your usernames and passwords on a piece of paper then fold that paper up and put it in a plastic baggie then put the plastic baggie up your rear end.

AssPass?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I don't think the outlook app supports Tasks and Notes. I use those both pretty heavily.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Honj Steak posted:

Is there an app that works like Sky Map in Android? Didn't find anything the last time I wanted to know what bright thing in the sky I'm looking at.

I've been using Star Walk for years and it's great.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Stock iOS keyboard is lighyears ahead of 99% of Android garbage. Third party keyboards are still buggy as poo poo on iOS.

Microsoft's Word Flow keyboard is really good. I'll never go back to the Apple one or Swiftkey.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for ten hamburgers today.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Does Outlook still not support Tasks?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The Kins posted:

Any recommendations for a replacement for the iBooks app? I'm messing around with Documents by Readdle and it seems decent for PDFs, but the ePubs I tried don't display in a dual-page view in landscape mode like iBooks and Kindle do, and that kinda sucks.

EDIT: Worth mentioning that I'm not looking to annotate stuff or whatever. Just read stuff.

I use the Kindle app for books. I like it and it the books stay in sync between my phone, Kindle, Kindle on my PC, etc.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've been having a problem where one of my playlists insta-crashes the Music app. I've had the playlist for ages so I don't know why this started happening. I deleted the playlist from iTunes, synced, recreated it, synced and it still does it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Know Such Peace posted:

Cesium Music Player is free on the app store for a limited time. It's perfect if you have your own local music library and don't need all the streaming stuff in the default iOS Music App. It's an updated take on the old iPod app.

I've also got a weird request. Are there any camera apps with absolutely no on-screen controls?

Thank you for this. One of my favorite playlists has been insta-crashing the Music app but Cesium plays it just fine.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Is it no longer possible to clear reminders from the iPhone notification screen? I used to have a button to clear them all off but it appears to be gone.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

3d touch the x across the screen from “today” or “yesterday”

There's no "today" or "yesterday." I swipe down and all the reminders are there as always, but there's no x anywhere to clear them. I turned the phone off and back on again and the behavior is the same. Whether the phone is locked or unlocked I see what appears to be the same reminder screen as before the iOS upgrade but there's nothing to click on to clear the reminders.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

I’m not sure we’re talking about the same thing.

If you are trying to clear a mass of notifications, this is what I see for a notification screen with the day-named sections.

If you are trying to mark an actual reminder complete, you need to 3d touch the reminder.

If you want to remove a reminder from the notification screen without marking it complete, you need to swipe it left

If you’re not trying to do any of these or your screens look different, I’m not certain.

Prior to 11 I could clear my Reminders the same way you can clear all the notifications. Now I have to clear each reminder individually.

Thanks Apple!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I have a weird Apple Watch problem with phantom alarms. I had two alarms set on the watch. One that would go off at 0415 every weekday, and one at 0730 every weekday. The watch would be in the charger and begin to sound until I tapped the face.

If I wanted to turn the alarms off for a day I would just toggle them in the watch Alarm interface. No sweat.

Recently I replaced my phone and re-paired the watch. This week I was taking a few days off so I toggled both alarms. I noticed that at 0415 and 0730 while in the charger the watch would buzz twice and then go quiet. I deleted both alarms and it still happened. I recreated the alarms but set them for Monday only. Still did it. Asked Siri to clear my alarms. She said I didn't have any.

I deleted the alarms un-paired and re-paired the phone. This morning it still did it!

I have no other apps that could be doing this. I've never set an alarm for either of those times anywhere else.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've tried several but like Microsoft's Word Flow the most.

EDIT: MOTHERFUCKER

quote:

Microsoft Closes Down 'Word Flow' Keyboard for iOS, Points Users to SwiftKey

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Carplay works just fine for me. The recent improvements to the map navigation were good.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

IUG posted:

Not sure if you're making a joke, but there was an iPod that could play video. The iPod Video.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Classic#5th_generation

I got one of these for free from a vendor back in 2008 or so and I still use it as a white noise generator every night. I'm going to cry when it dies.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I just discovered that Siri can speak English with different accents and I can't stop playing with them even though I never use Siri.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

xzzy posted:

Google news has the same problem, I told them "fewer stories like this" for like a week every time I saw a headline with Megan in the name and that poo poo still gets featured prominently.

Personalized news is a joke.

Bring back Pointcast! :corsair:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Hiya is pretty good. I use that along with T-Mobile’s own app.

My carrier provides a branded version of Hiya and I love when my phone buzzes and I see SUSPECTED TELEMARKETER on the screen. :hellyeah:

I also block block block like a mad bastard.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

This is my opportunity to admit that I don't know what Digg is. I remember seeing the name all over the place but I never knew what it was. I'm guessing an early news aggregator?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I learned that when I'm in my car and my phone receives an emergency alert it will turn the stereo on and blast it through the speakers. Scared the crap out of me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I will confess that I have no goddamn idea how to use OneNote. Every time I've seen someone using it the results look like one of those walls maintained by a conspiracy nut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I usually don't get the initial release of any iOS but I put the recent one on my watch and it buggered GPS, heartrate sensor and at times burns through battery so quickly the charger can't keep up. The point release today didn't fix anything.