Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Overcast has a web player at their website that syncs with your app. This sold it for me because I can listen to pods on my laptop at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

bobfather posted:

Unless they make a bundle that includes TB3, TB2 for iPad and TB4 and then let me “upgrade” to TB4 for $.99 or something, they don’t have my sale. I may tweet them about this to see what they say.

Get a load of this guy. I would post the get a load of this guy cam GIF but this is a grey forum and jokes aren't allowed.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

I have Tweetbot 4 for iOS and Tweetbot for Mac - has anyone ever had these two successfully sync? I tried both iCloud and Tweetmarker and both of them don't seem to make the cross-platform leap. How do I fix this and not have to find my spot in 600+ toots?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

I don't only use iOS devices, or a Mac so PocketCasts was a better decision for me, but yeah, if all you care about is iOS this is a hard thing to beat.

The nice thing about Overcast is it also has a web player, so you can get at your podcasts on anything that has an internet connection and it syncs with your phone.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Youtube has the best content, it has PewDiePie after all.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

I actually really prefer OneDrive for :yaycloud: storage now, especially since I get office 365 with the 1TB pack.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

I don't know how Hero Lab works, but 1password easily fits on the Dropbox free tier.

Or if you like to live dangerously 1password also does syncing through icloud drive

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

the best journaling / notes app is onenote - it runs on everything and skips a lot of corp firewalls due to being part of office

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

I think Paprika is goon made. I recommended it to my mom - it is the only non-standard mac and iphone app she uses, after bouncing off of so many different apps. She's been using it for years. Good endorsement if you ask me.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

You can track your haircuts in a 1password secure note

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Abu Dave posted:

What's the best meditation app u goons use

I like Buddhify.

Also overcast, weather underground, and 1password.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

LODGE NORTH posted:

What's the best note app that lets me mark it up with drawn arrows and handmade highlighting etc?

OneNote

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Uh reminders.app?

Seconding this, the Siri integration alone makes it worth it - and if you have insane numbers of todos then you should seriously look at a paid todo app or re-evaluate your life

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

hadji murad posted:

I just don't like buying an App from Marco then having him change the pricing arrangement. I'm happy I have no ads with Overcast but if I don't feel i should have to put money into it in the future.

I also recommended it to a bunch of people being free. Now I kinda wish i hadn't.

Marco has a history of abandoning or fundamentally changing his projects. See Instapaper and The Magazine. I just treat stuff he makes as available as presented for about two or three years.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

1password has their own sync service now

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Two quick questions.

1) Need something to organize all my recipes from like a dozen different sources (including a bunch of physical ones), Paprika is still the go-to app right? It sounds like it does everything I need, including web importing, compatible with PC and Android, cloud syncing, etc.

2) Keyboard replacements still suck or are they okay now? The one thing that really kills me about my iPhone is the drat keyboard, I'd really like something good with swype or other smart typing tech of some sort.

according to my mom paprika is still fantastic and she loves it

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

randyest posted:

I know there's an app for everything but I can't find the one I need, which I think must exist, yet I can't find it after days of searching. Here are the requirements.

• I have 3 things I want to track when I do them with a click on one of three big labelled buttons; very simple interface.
  • The app then records the day and time (and which of the three 3 things I did, depending on which button I pressed).
  • I can go "back in time" and add a thing I did at any previous day / time in case I forgot to click the big button when I did the thing (or delete an erroneous click).
  • I can see bar and/or line graphs of how many times I did each of those things daily, weekly, monthly, annually. Maybe even hourly.
  • Flexibility in graphing / stats reporting would be great (how often do I do thing 1, 2, or 3 on Mondays between noon and 2pm, for example).
  • Force touch to log item 1, 2, or 3 without opening the app would be incredible, but isn't required.
  • Bonus if I can see graphs for each item separately, and also have the option to "stack" items 1 & 2, or 2 & 3, or 1 & 3, or all 3 together with different colors for each thing in the bar chart. Again, not required but would be awesome.
  • Trend lines and stats reporting would also be great but, again, not really required, especially if I can export the raw data.

Price is not an issue, but simplicity in interface and use, solid stability in iOS10, no data loss, and preferably cloud sync are pretty critical (I can tolerate no cloud sync if I can export the data manually in CSV or some reasonable format.) Export to CSV or similar format for importing to Numbers or Excel for more analysis would be incredible, but isn't really required if I can do all of the above things.

there used to be a whole suite of apps that did exactly this - i just checked in on five of them i know of and they are all either completely removed from the app store or haven't been updated for a year+ (some even had ios 6 UI in their screenshots on their marketing websites!)

i'm betting there are more personal database / lifetracking / track anything style apps out there but just based on what was the best of the best about two or three years ago i don't think you can feel comfortable that anything you pick will be around in a year or two even if you find one...

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

maybe sniff around this blog and see if anything is still active - it's at least focused on the topic: http://lifestreamblog.com/lifelogging/

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Weedle posted:

I'm looking for a household budgeting software that has cloud sync and clients for iPhone and iPad. macOS and Android clients would be nice as well but not vital. Not Mint or YNAB. Thanks!

honestly its ynab but if you absolutely hate it maybe ibank?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

buzzfeed news is no joke the best news and breaking news app for your phone

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

empty baggie posted:

Edit: and thanks for the precious recommendation for buzzfeed news. I never thought I would praise anything associated with buzzfeed, but the news app seems to be top notch.

its the best breaking news app i have ever had - its amazingly good and not buzz-feedy at all

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

BoyBlunder posted:

This is the 'BF News' app, right? I feel weird reading articles on BuzzFeed.

yep

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Snowy posted:

Is there an app that would show the current moonphase in a widget?

sorry about ur wiccan skyclad midnight hiking meetup group

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

im liking castro more now

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

i just filed a bug with 1password for auditing my social security number and asking me to change it

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

i should note that they actually have a specific type for "social security number"

typing this out i am realizing i typed my ssn into a pm for literally no reason or gain at all

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

apple reminders is good for shopping lists, just make a shared one with your spouse/mom

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

i mean who gives a poo poo its just 10 dollars

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

i like mail.app

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

it's good i like it

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

skull mask mcgee posted:

Get an app called “Opener” which will let you use the share sheet to open YouTube links in ProTube.

this + protube are all you need

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

GoldfishStew posted:

So if I switched to the 1Pass monthly program, they'd have all my info on their servers, correct? Which program lets me keep all my poo poo on my own devices? Just KeyPass?

Also, what is better? To keep my own poo poo on my own poo poo or to trust 1Pass with it on their server?

they have a whole secret key thing so your data is encrypted on their servers and they cannot open it but yeah you are deffo putting a lot of trust in 1pass

works great for me

i use kepass at work because some german decided to include it in the default image for every laptop, thanks hans

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

bronin posted:

Pocket Casts 4 lyfe

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

11 is deffo the buggiest ios upgrade i’ve ever had and i’ve been on ios since the 3g

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

considering how buggy ios 11 has been i would rather stick with something i've actually used and had lots of success with like venmo then jump on cash right as it launches

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just looked up TickTick and just looking at the pictures… it looks like a rip-off of Todoist?

e: It’s even got the same gamification bullshit:

uh those are todoist screenshots my dude...

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

but yeah the features are very similar with a diff look and feel imo

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

oh wait i see why it's better - it has start times and due dates, the one thing that todoist refuses to implement is start dates

i might switch

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Red is todoist, blue is the other one. I was just saying how one of them is a blatant rip-off of the other cause even the screenshots look the same.

Actually I switched to this after you posted because while yes an unashamed rip-off they actually offer a lot more features and functionality than todoist :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

access to insight is free and huffs a few less farts then most meditation apps