Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Anyone here have experience with Splashtop or something similar for Gwent? Considering getting an iPad and it would be a big bonus if that worked too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

IAmKale posted:

Can you guys recommend me a Reddit app? I don’t spend a whole lot of time on it but it’s nice to be able to check the odd subreddit or two without the constant banner the mobile website mags you with.

I like Apollo and Narwhal.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Is an ES100 a bad investment for use as both a DAC on my Desktop and for making IEMS wireless when I'm at work/around town? Was thinking of picking up some Tin T3s, and if it's going to be good for both those use cases with whatever headphones I might buy, it seems like a better investment than a bluetooth cable.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Is an ES100 a bad investment for use as both a DAC on my Desktop and for making IEMS wireless when I'm at work/around town? Was thinking of picking up some Tin T3s, and if it's going to be good for both those use cases with whatever headphones I might buy, it seems like a better investment than a bluetooth cable.

How in the hell did I post this in the wrong thread and no one gave me poo poo for it

EDIT: thanks for the helpful reply XBenedict

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

I'm fairly sure it's a limitation on the playback device, not something that can be solved with an application or fiddling with iOS settings

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

nitsuga posted:

Not quite. I’ve got a work phone now, and I was trying to find a way to get messages from my personal phone sent to the work phone. Not as a one-time thing but on an ongoing basis.

There may be an IFTTT or iOS Shortcuts.app that forwards texts received from one phone to another.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Weedle posted:

Fun fact: the director of that movie also directed the film adaptation of "Holes" for Disney.

This is blowing my loving mind right now. He also directed The Fugitive AND Chain Reaction! What a rollercoaster of a filmography.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

devilmonk posted:

I’m looking for a simple calendar/reminder solution. For some reason I don’t like either the built-in or google calendars. Maybe I just need to fully commit to one or the other? I can’t articulate what it is that I don’t like, but maybe someone feels the same and can point me to an alternative?

Bullet Journaling? Emacs Org-mode?

More seriously, it's hard to make recommendations without a qualitative reason why you don't like stock ones or Google solutions, because there are SO many applications/solutions in the space, but most of their value from what I've seen is some combination of aesthetic, input differentiation, differing views into your existing calendar/reminders, and service integration related. Are you frustrated with both of them as both Reminder AND Calendars, or just one half of that functionality?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

Something must've gone wrong because I haven't had an app update on the App Store since Dec. 18th and I'm sure there must've been some since then. None show up on the update view and claim that their last updates have been 3 weeks to a month ago, despite being (mostly Google) apps that update like twice a week usually.

I've relogged and rebooted my phone but those didn't work. What's up here, or is this the first time ever all app developers took a month off?

I think there's a period where the App Store doesn't push any new updates because Apple wants them to work for all the new customers getting devices on Christmas and (purportedly) to give the teams in charge of approving apps a break for the holidays, but it's not THAT long.

The only other thing I could think of is maybe you changed your account's region at some point - the App Store used to be weird about only being able to download updates for applications when you were logged in/registered in a certain region, but I also thought they fixed that or at least smoothed it over.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

I checked the OP, but it only has suggestions for the best iOS8 apps. :lol:

:sweatdrop:

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Disappointing Pie posted:

Does Google Maps regularly poo poo the bed for anyone else? I’ve been getting anything from total just laggy unresponsiveness to black screens on car play, to searching for restaurants around me and it showing results that are nearly 140 miles away in a town not even close to the name of the town I’m in. It’s been awful particularly this week.

It's been fine the few times I've used it, but apparently they are dealing with a host of poo poo due to Ukraine/Russia - stuff as basic as displaying street names and to who - not that it excuses bad service everywhere else given the size of Google

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

I think every carrier has an application that tries to mitigate spam callers. On ATT I have one (ATT Call Protect, IIRC), and while I still seem to get them, a lot are named “SPAM RISK” and I’ve yet to miss an expected call that was erroneously flagged as such in 2ish years of having it.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

I’m also shopping around for a different email app seeing as my work requires Outlook with some pretty specific permissions/settings and I want to separate my work/personal email accounts. I’ve been using Edison recently, which is decent.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Pushbullet used to do this, but nowadays I'd just use slack or maybe discord/WhatsApp if they allow it to message yourself something

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Does your public transit system not have their own app? Seems like most do these days.

Speaking for San Francisco there are two transport agencies (MUNI for SF itself, and BART that serves the greater Bay Area). Setting aside their accuracy, their respective apps probably only tell you their arrival times (real time or not) and if they even do routing from point A to B, I doubt they calculate routes that leverage transport beyond their agency. Apps that route using all available public transport options (ferries, buses, trains/subways) in a Metropolitan area are really valuable in that way.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

Having poo poo at the bottom is definitely better. I was a huge windows phone 8/8.1 fan for the two whole years it lasted before Microsoft managed to completely gently caress themselves with their own dick; and iOS definitely did some borrowing for the better. Now if only somebody could make the iOS keyboard as good as the one Windows phone had and I’d be content.

Microsoft Swiftkey exists for iOS (though it almost got shelved). Granted every 3rd party keyboard on iOS feels like a second class citizen, but what else is new

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Google Maps has a Timeline feature that tracks your location and saves your history. It's focused on locations Google knows about and how you traveled there, and while it usually gets both right, when you view your history it can sometimes prompt you to confirm the precise store/restaurant/etc you visited and how you got there (eg. if the store you visited was close to others, or if you lost signal going through a subway). I don't know that any other GPS tracking would be more precise, but I haven't tried any others. It was accurate enough during my time in Japan and New York though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

tuyop posted:

I was using Authy and bitwarden. Slowly moving over to all in bitwarden. Big recommendation for bitwarden too.

I didn't know Bitwarden could also handle 2FA codes. I'm also on Authy and Bitwarden but it would be nice if I could consolidate them.