Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Best Wikipedia app? I just bought wikilinks. I'm just tired of going to safari to do a search and Finder doesn't always seem to search wiki for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
It feels more cramped to me than mailbox. I like the calendar stuff but in terms of just email it feels a little needlessly complex. Mailbox is super slick and simple I'm just gonna stick with that.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
so If we signed up with the app but then changed our mind and deleted the app what do we need to do to make sure they no longer have access, just change our email password?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I went from a 5S to a 6+ yesterday and now I don't get any badges or notifications on Mailbox. Can anyone help me with this? Also, not sure if this is unusual or not, but Mailbox does not show up under Settings>Notification Center. It's not listed. Would really love some help on this.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Honestly just makes me feel better knowing it's a known thing and not me turning off/on the wrong/right setting.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Thanks for the thoughts. I don't use iCloud. Just Gmail. I really like Mailbox...I would be interested in that other e-mail app everyone was cumming over a little while ago but it just seemed a tad needlessly complex.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Best calendar app for google cal? I use calenmob but sometimes the colored dots don't appear.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

ScarletBrother posted:

Fantastical is my Calendar app of choice. Syncs with GCalendar like a charm.

Wow! Fantastical is...fantastic! Thank you!

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Picky and feedly are great. Thanks guys.

Can anyone explain why downcast is better than stock podcast app?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Anyone care to tell me why they like overcast over downcast? Downcast is so customizable.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Wow unread is great. Why do you need it if you just have feedly? Just a better reader?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Any reason why Google maps app isn't recalculating my position? It really sucks because I'll be walking, waiting for an instruction, look down and find out I've been off the trail for a few blocks.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
That app is not listed under background refresh. It's turned on for location services while using because it's either while using or never.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

dazjw posted:

To be clear, is the blue dot on the map stuck somewhere? Or did it fail to alert you to a turn and then you went a different way and it never bothered to alert you again to get you back on track?

The later. I've had to switch to Apple maps. Kill me now.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

dazjw posted:

Not to be a tease but I just tried it out and I think your problem is fixed in the next (or possibly next-next) release. Can't give you a date on when that's out though. Give it a try next time you see it update (unless it's a 4.0.x, then don't bother).

Mind explaining what's better? Is it that the OS' addressbook app launches straight to apple maps or is there something else? google maps has contact search in its search-suggestions if you give it permission now, although it's a bit rudimentary.

Not to be a jerk but isn't that a pretty big gently caress up? Recalculating when you go off course seems like an integral feature to me.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Anyway to get music onto my phone without using iTunes and into the music app?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I like downcast and don't know why overcast is better

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

It's not as good as Picky.

Only thing that bums me out about picky is that when you enque songs there is a hiccup

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I don't even know how to use the features on camera plus

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Why is accompli better than mailbox?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
It's crazy how much better Picky is than the stck music app

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Hey! I'm looking for a great white board app. My friends and I have just started playing D&D, but some of us are Skyping in to do so. It would be great if there was essentially a "doodle chat" we could all be in so the DM could draw maps or upload maps and draw on those. iPad support is necessary. Anyone know of anything like this?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I think podcasts are on there way out, anyway.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Is there an app that I can catalogue my comic books and that will tell me when a new issue in a series I follow is out?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Literally can't even tell if this thread is being trolled anymore every loving post is talking about podcast and weather eps. Just make the op downcast for podcasts dark sky for weather

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

ShoogaSlim posted:

Thank you for taking my inquiry seriously and giving good feedback. I appreciate it.

I can't understand why the stock app doesn't have this feature, either. You order your podcasts and they stay fixed in those positions with little numbers next to them to let you know how many new episodes are available (or a ! to indicate that you haven't listened in a while and it won't even bother updating until you manually select it). But if you have Serial all the way at the bottom of the list because there haven't been new episodes since the season ended, it will stay at the bottom even when a new episode is pushed out. I'm not going to open the app every day and scroll around to see what's new for podcasts that are "on hold."

Also: lots of belly-aching about podcast apps. At least I'm discussing actual functionality? Or has this poo poo all been gone over before ad nauseum?

Like I'm not trying to specifically give you poo poo but your question gets asked (and in depthly answered) literally every other page.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I was in the fantastical camp but recently jumped to the sunrise beta, when it came up when your question was asked like a page ago.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Mailbox is the best mail app.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Picky is great :)

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
What major features? I guess needs (or desires) vary from person to person, but all I want my music app to do is organize and play my music.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
What the gently caress do you need a McDonald's app for. The menu is on the wall when you go in there. They sell loving hamburgers.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Don't do it, man.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Sunrise is fantastic

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Huge mailbox fan here. Tried out the following replacements this afternoon:

Boxer - I don't like the quotes, social media pushing (why do so many loving apps encourage this. Who shares that they got to inbox zero on FB or twitter. Yes, I can ignore it but the whole point of inbox zero to me is no clutter, barebones and sleek). I also don't need may contacts with their own tab)

Dispatch - Waaaaaay to complicated. Just too feature rich, with features I would never use, for me.

Inbox by Gmail - This is what I ended up settling on. It's still more (needlessly) complex than Mailbox, but it's bright, vivid, pretty clean and the desktop client, Boxy, is nice, too.

I miss the swipes to do different things, that I set (especially Lists) but it's pretty much all there (swipe to snooze, swipe to archive)

For reference, I use an iPad and a Macbook Air; I don't have email on my phone.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I just downloaded that and Cloud Magic, which had very many positive reviews. I'll report back.

Someone in here suggested Spark, and, even though the iTunes store link says there is an iPad version, it doesn't come up for me in any type of search in the iPad app store.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Haven't opened the app yet but how would I know if it's storing my info on their server or not?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
At first blush, I don't need my files, contacts, and cal in there. I just want super simple email. I'll try it for a bit but I think Inbox is for me. I don't have a work email just one, personal email.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Spark is just for iPhone, correct?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Agree, but it's what I'll stick with for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
There's no iPad or desktop client.