Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chrome Remote Desktop is kind of lovely when the desktop being viewed is on a mac. It does weird things with picking a resolution that fits your browser window, it's not a 1:1 copy like a traditional VNC session would produce. Which is fine, it technically works, but OSX loves to gently caress with your window positions when it changes resolutions and it drives me nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Etrips posted:

Why is Logmein lovely exactly? I've been using it for awhile now with no issues.

They have decent technology, but they're a pretty shady company. They'll disable features to try and force users to upgrade to a higher service offering.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm amazed there exists any website in 2015 that actually allows you to put a cleartext username and password in the URL, http or https or any other protocol at all.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, API keys are the way to do that now and it's not perfect, but it works okay.

They could go down the OAuth rabbit hole. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kaizoku posted:

But major cool points for knowing sex workers on Twitter, I guess?

Well it's not like it's hard, they're perfectly willing to act like they like you if you pay enough.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Serverauditor's worked for me. I haven't looked for better options in a long time though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Which got me thinking.. is there an iOS ssh client yet that supports kerberos auth?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Youtube's gonna have to get some really drat good content to fetch that price. That's what I pay for Netflix and YouTube sure as poo poo doesn't have House of Cards which is kind of the benchmark for a streaming service at this point. HBO charges $15 but they have literally the most popular show on TV right now.

YouTube has.. PewDiePie? :laffo:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I appreciate how big youtube is and I appreciate that kids go loving bonkers for the low production poo poo that gets uploaded there by the terabyte, but that's definitely not worth $10 a month to me. Youtube is just low brow fluff to pull up when I'm bored.

I hope it works for them but they're messing with one of the core features of the internet and companies that have done that in the past have had a bad habit of being replaced by something else.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Solution: use weather.gov.

It's all the same data anyways, it just comes down to presentation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have no idea what that means.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nothing I said disagrees with that.

I guess I could have avoided recommending some other weather information solution since that always seems to get people all fired up in here for some dumb reason.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lol if you forward everything to google so they can index everything about your life just so they can target ads a little bit better

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Quite a few people I know. An ex didn't because she felt like it meant she was hiding something.

Michael Rogers just got a warm feeling in his heart and doesn't understand why.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

drat, that's a pretty bonkers update.

Maybe now I'll finally quit knocking my phone to the floor at night.

Now I just have to convince my wife to turn hers on every night.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I've never actually used Sleep Cycle even though I bought it. This could definitely get me on the train though.

It has the best snooze feature in alarm clock history, just smash your phone and it leaves you alone for a few minutes. The snooze gets shorter as you get closer to your desired wake up time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The things they're saying make no sense to me, unless they have an active Apple account that is publishing apps to the App store, and Apple is threatening to delete the account if they don't play ball.

I mean they're just distributing code. Apple has no authority to prevent people from open sourcing software, and there are a billion Xcode projects for OSX and iOS on github. Is Apple going to barge in and shut all of them down too?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can sell the iPad to Amazon for $75 if it's in pristine condition.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone know of a decent app to stream a youtube playlist? A quick search yields a whole pile of results but a lot of them look pretty sketchy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Except the youtube app is garbage.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

eightysixed posted:

Couldn't you just just use Safari? :v:

That's what I've been using, and it's okay, but I was wondering if there was some kickass awesome app that I didn't know about and made playing music from youtube rad.

If I'd known I was going to get profiled for asking a simple question I wouldn't have bothered.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 20, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Frank Zappa for one, but that didn't get blurred out for some reason.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't see how that's a deal breaker, I mean the traditional method of listening to music for free didn't even let you select the artist. If you didn't like what you're hearing your only option was to turn the dial to a new station.

If you want control, you gotta lay down some money.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know if OneDrive is good enough to trigger a shift away from Dropbox, but I can say OneDrive is really well done and works super smooth. Apple should take notes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just go outside? This time of year the sky is always dark up north.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flights climbed uses the barometer, which means lots of ghost steps climbed that are actually you entering a building.

Every time I enter my place of employment I get credited for two flights.. one for walking through the door, one for actually walking up some stairs. :v:

Still think it's a great feature, just gotta interpret the results a bit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cue another five pages of "google is stealing our souls" debate.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah I started using Focus when it was released, just because it was new and shiny. It does the job.

But so did all the other ad blockers I used previously, I haven't found one that does anything better or worse than anyone else.

I would like more options in general, like poo poo canning any javascript that tries to hit google analytics or a facebook server, but it's not a dealbreaker. Who knows, it might be doing that already. It's not like any of them tell you what they're doing! :downs:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well if they make it too easy to use the internet outside their garden, how will they log literally everything you do? You don't want facebook to miss out on those tasty bits do you?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's the publisher that does that, the reader typically only shows what's in the feed and most of them are just snippets of the full story. There's no reason they couldn't fetch the article, and some do, but certainly not all of them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The singularity?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I want a password keeper that works on all my computing devices that doesn't require storing my vault in someone's cloud. Unfortunately such a thing doesn't exist, so I keep on keeping on with lastpass because I've been using it from day one and am too lazy to migrate elsewhere.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh nice.. I hadn't heard of it yet. Looks like it's super new which is why I may not have caught it yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Blinkz0rz posted:

1password doesn't require you to use any cloud stuff of any kind

But syncing between all the available OSes gets fidgety if you roll your own.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Blinkz0rz posted:

so does every other password manager if you want to sync stuff from one computer to another

Sorry, but these options look like poo poo:

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/sync-options

To get a vault from my home PC to my work PC I have to use my phone as an intermediate step and trigger it manually? gently caress that, I want stuff to sync automatically in the background.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The entire conversation is about having a vault that isn't on a cloud server, keep up kiddos.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Blinkz0rz posted:

how the poo poo do you expect to sync your vault then?

like, what is the ideal here?

The Enpass mentioned earlier supports owncloud.

btsync would be cool too, though no one gives it any attention.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been hitting control-alt-delete to get task manager almost my whole computing life, it's a habit I just can't break.

Even though there are several easier/faster ways to get it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it's a reasonable expectation that plugging your device into a new computer and hitting sync will pull everything off the device and save it locally. iTunes has never once in its history allowed you to do this so I think we're all used to it, but it's still loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Instead of buying companies and haphazardly gluing their tech into Apple software, the company should really sit down and refactor what they have so it doesn't suck additional poo poo every time a new version comes out.