Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

YouTube is one of those apps that posts an update every other day and nothing changes. Just endless "fixed bugs!!" spam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's no way it's intentional or else every tech blog would be ranting about it.

I and my wife use Apple Music exclusively and we never overrun our 2gb cap. You just got some weird infuriating bug going on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's normal, YouTube limits to 720p when outside their app. There's ways around it but it depends on the tool you're using.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My complaint with google is you can't search reviews on stuff anymore. Any attempts get you five pages of SEO optimized "top ten X in <YEAR>" results.

It is the best option for technical questions though. I guess no one has found a way to monetize that yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just wish any of them would politely deal with rest stops and gas stops when on road trips. It always triggers a frenzy of route recalculations, which is technically the right thing to do I guess but it would be nice if it was more graceful. What would be really cool is if you could enter the estimated range of your vehicle and it suggests a gas stop around that point. Or rest stops every couple hours.

Other than that they've both been almost identical in terms of overall performance. Apple Maps still has issues in urban areas, it's rare but sometimes it picks really weird side streets when staying on a main avenue for a couple more blocks is more efficient. But google is real bad at knowing speed limits and buries me in a lot more sponsored pins.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LTE speed can be as low as 3mbps but most carriers are well over 10mbps. That downloads you an entire mp3 in four seconds or better. Worst case it's 13 seconds.. which still isn't unlivable. Definitely not "slow as hell".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can play youtube videos on my phone with the screen locked, but I am also an idiot that pays for youtube premium so maybe that's why it works.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

fyi if you're using lastpass you should really uh, stop, and spend christmas eve changing all your passwords

Even worse, this was the leak that happened over the summer. So that's 5-6 months of people's vaults being out there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use a bookmark to google news in safari. It's not what I'd call great but it doesn't violently offend me when scrolling through it either.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Windy is my choice because I love all the layers. And the webcams.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

From what I can tell there's no pattern to which apps got suspended or are still working so it feels to me like something in their infrastructure expired and whoever maintained that piece was fired in November.

Or maybe Elon sorted the list of API users by queries made and killed off the top 20%. Who the gently caress knows with that clown.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cubasis might be overkill for what you're asking, but it will definitely do the job. Garage Band does okay at audio tracks, but I'm not sure it's the most comfortable for editing clips down.

The upside to using a daw is you can hunt for auv3 plugins to do any processing you might need (such as the noise removal).

I'm sure there's something specifically geared towards what you need but I can only recommend what I know. :angel:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well garage band is free for everyone so I'd at least give it a spin and see if it'll work for you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iOS is pretty good about identifying tracking numbers so I tap the number in the email and tap the link to load the results in safari.

But I guess if you're dealing with high volumes that would get pretty annoying.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I pay for Windy because I obsess over weather conditions (fog, cloud layers, snow depth, etc) at specific locations and all the toggleable layers it has fills that niche. If I lived near an ocean and cared about wave height I'd use it for that too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

iTunes Match still exists, too!

It's actually nice and speedy now too. Early on everyone hated it because it was a complete mystery as to when your songs would be available on other devices. Now it syncs just about as fast as your internet connection can upload it.

Sometimes it fails but it's pretty rare so you may never notice unless you're managing a bunch of new songs every day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

crestfallen posted:

Okay so I tried the Mail app, got my gmail added in. Cool. Now I can get all that lovely iOS integration.

Dumb question: I can’t figure out a quick way to delete 1 email at a time. Swiping options don’t include delete, only archive. Having to do a long press or more than a couple taps sucks.

Is there a quick way to delete a mail?

Yeah, if you do a drag from right to left. If you only go part way brings up a few icons to manage that email. But if you keep going it eventually deletes that message.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The main issue with apple notes is if you leave autocorrect on and you paste a shell command. Who knows what you're gonna get.

It's also prone to converting to directional quotes or turning double hyphens into em dashes. It really needs a code block feature.

Other than that it's pretty great.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The icloud website is pretty slick these days but it has the major flaw of forgetting who you are every week. I'm fine with 2FA and being secure but if I say 'trust this computer' it should persist for a year. It makes the service feel like it's punishing me for not using an official apple device to access my data.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

priznat posted:

If Apple News would just actually block news sources instead of putting them up but greyed out it would improve it immensely. What a stupid method to block sources.

But those stories are hand curated! Why would you want to filter out something a minimum wage peon determined was quality reporting??

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My complaint with this modern idea of automated news is less about the sources or people writing the stories but the dumbass algorithms driving the feed. You tap on a story about a given keyword once and it fills the entire feed with poo poo around that same keyword with no attention paid to the content of the one story you read. The code is completely incapable of figuring out the context or looking at my habits to determine why a story might have looked valuable.

Relentless downvoting sort of tames it after a few days but it shouldn't be that much work.

(it's not just an apple thing, all the news aggregators do it)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a rare attempt by Apple to make feature discovery in their software more obvious so I think we should applaud their growth.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apple changes those labels on an annual basis, guess they got tired of the "suggest more" text field. It's still effectively a thumbs up or thumbs down though. I haven't checked on iTunes yet but at least before this update you could make smart playlists based on those flags.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

In general I find the thumbs up/thumbs down system too restricting, not just in Apple Music but also on Spotify or any music streaming app.

The fun part is the old star ratings are still there. It's the "rate song.." option in the menu when you tap the three dot icon on a song. But you have to have 'show star ratings' toggled on in Settings.app->Music

So they've tucked a useful feature away so it's a pain in the rear end to use.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

But do those influence the algorithm at all? I don't really care about rating songs if it's just gonna be me that ever looks at it.

Not a clue, I ignore anything algorithm driven and build my playlists like it's 2000 and my mp3 player tells me it really whips the llama's rear end.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Something definitely changed this year, I spent most of Thanksgiving weekend unsubscribing from the emails of every business I've bought something from for the past 15 years. They were desperate for me to buy crap.

Deleted a couple apps over it too, notifications ain't an advertising channel you dipshits.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EconOutlines posted:

Editing photos aside, are there any advantages to picking up a "custom" camera app like iPhone 7-8 days? IIRC, RAW can be shot now, so the only reason I can see to purchase something like Halide is aperture, f/stop, etc. If so, any recommendations besides Halide?

Not in my experience, I did a Halide demo and played with Lightroom's fully manual camera with the 15PM and the results are disappointing, even taking RAW files. They just can't be pushed all that far in post processing because of the small sensor size. To my eye it needs Apple's AI magic to produce a good image.

So I use the stock Photos app and shoot in prores RAW if I think I'll want to edit later. Less faff and it actually produces files I'm happy to work on.

Probably don't leave RAW on full time though because the files are like 20MB each.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The few times I've used it the precipitation animation in weather.app has been spot on, even in the mountains. But I rarely need detail at that level (my eyes work fine) so I don't know if it's right every time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want something more involved in the GIS direction, look at Map Plus. It's a lot of app to get just gps tracks but it's also more powerful.

Their documentation for the feature: https://duweis.com/support/viewdoc.html?l=en&f=mp&sf=track&k=010_record

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

YouTube's recommendation algorithm is such complete poo poo I'm not sure having it download stuff you haven't watched would be any better. You watch a single pop science or history video and every single suggestion for the next month is gonna be the most generic clickbaity garbage that hit the same keywords.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

YouTube made resume video a premium feature last year. At least, the good version that stores the exact second you last watched the video.

Not sure on the details of what non paying viewers get other than "it sucks and is unreliable"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What really grinds my gears is when I have the keyboard up and accidentally bump the microphone icon and I get the pop up telling me to enable dictation.

No, gently caress you, stop bothering me and give me an option to delete the microphone forever instead of a stupid nag screen.

edit - goddamn i'm a moron, wrong loving thread you idiot

xzzy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 9, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They also don't normalize the audio so if you build a playlist from a bunch of random channels you get to adjust the volume yourself for each new song if they weren't mastered properly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Apple builds experiences that work beautifully for 80% of people but if you really want things to work outside that target demo things fall apart very quickly.

Me in 2012: man the iPad is cool, I could do my job with this if there was a kerberized ssh client available.

Me in 2024: man this iPad would the perfect laptop if there was a kerberized ssh client.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

kri kri posted:

Also, why does Apple News show a headline for blocked news sources? I might have to stop using it again.

Either money (contracts obligate them to show those sources) or the story selecting code doesn't have access to your preferences and it does that part locally.

But either you way you should probably stop using it, it's a pretty half baked service. I like the idea but it's junk because it tries too hard to push promoted content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The problem with RSS is sources regularly mess with the URL or straight up delete it so it turns into a janitor job trying to keep things going. Some of them farm it out to some kind of periodic scraping service and there can be a 24 hour delay before it actually hits your feed.

It's a cool idea and I've used it for 20 years but the modern internet has kinda ruined it.