Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm not sure why there's still so much hate for the Podcast app. I haven't had any problems with it.

The only thing that's annoying is I usually stream from a podcast's Feed instead of downloading first. If the app starts an episode I've already heard I'll obviously skip it, but if that podcast gets removed/added later, the partially listened-to episodes will appear in Unplayed as ready to download, cluttering things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

For those who want an alternative to Swiftkey, Swype is free for the time being.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How the gently caress has eBay not updated for iPhone 6?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

decypher posted:

I don't think it has been mentioned yet but Goodreader is on sale right now for .99c

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id777310222?mt=8
I'm only buying this because you guys have been raving about it for years and I still have $11 of credit. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Not sure if it's any good but Things is free, both iPhone and iPad versions: http://appshopper.com/productivity/things

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 22, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does the Yahoo Weather widget constantly crash for anyone else?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Malloreon posted:

also if you listen to podcasts a good amount, the $5 upgrade on overcast is a STEAL. Smart Speed has currently saved me an additional 43+ hours since overcast's release.
I assume other apps can as well, but Apple's Podcasts app can play at more than 1x. The biggest drawback I see to not using Podcasts is a lack of sync ability with iTunes, since I like to archive especially good episodes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CaptainPsyko posted:

Smart Speed is not just "playing at more than 1x".

Overcast actually pre-processes the audio and cuts silences to speed up playback. This can be used in combination with faster playback speeds.
Hmm, that's pretty nice. But it's a $5 unlock. :negative: I'm not sure there are many long periods of dead air during the podcasts I listen to.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I tested Smart Speed on my most listened-to podcast and it saved me 30 seconds during the 5 minute preview. That's a 10% savings!

It won't work for stuff like This American Life which always has music going in the background, but it might still be worth it.

Any idea whether it ever goes on sale? It's a matter of principle. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

priznat posted:

Oh god app developers are controversial too now?

No need to elaborate why, I just.. Don't care.
If a developer makes you pay for an app then stops updating it to make a "new" app that you have to pay for again, that makes the developer a fucker.

That seems to be the implication with the Overcast developer.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

For Overcast, am I correct in understanding that podcasts have to be processed by their servers before they're available for downloading due to Smart Speed and Voice Boost? If so, aren't we at the mercy of the developer?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 25, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Catching up on the last 4 episodes of Serial, Smart Speed has already saved me 20 minutes. I have world-class buyer's remorse, and I gotta say, spend the $5 and upgrade Overcast.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Disappointing Pie posted:

I didn't want to gently caress with the editing of Serial so I disabled all effects for that one on Overcast.
I listened to the first 5 at normal speed and didn't really notice a difference.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Is Serial 52 episodes or does it end at the end of the year? I can't imagine there is much story left but she just keeps pulling our more riveting poo poo.
The outro of episode 9 makes it feel like episode 10 might be the last.

Edit: ^ I guess not. In theory, they could tack on an episode or two at the end with new evidence they've gathered since the series premiered.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Not sure if they're any good but a couple scanning apps are free today.

Scanbot: http://appshopper.com/utilities/scanbot-pdf-scanner-multipage-cloud-upload-of-scans

PDF Scanner: http://appshopper.com/productivity/pdf-scanner-easily-scan-books-and-multipage-documents-to-pdf

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 11, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

maduin posted:

Overcast's smart speed edits pauses and is barely perceptible -- that's why it's so universally acclaimed.
Yeah, I always thought Smart Speed was just normal speeding up, but it actually removes 80% of the silence during pauses.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wish there was a way to ignore a specific app update. The latest version of VLC (and all future versions it seems) loses support for AC3, and I'd like to be able to just tap "Update All".

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hehehe yepppp 8.3 I managed to get touchID working in the App Store again by turning it off and on again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I actually wouldn't mind having one-touch access to this information, but the main app interface is a little much.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Eight Is Legend posted:

Google launched their new Photos app yesterday - it's pretty great. Free unlimited storage (for photos up to 16MB and videos up to 1080p) along with some decent editing features and awesome search and sorting - seriously, try searching for something random, the image recognition is insane. Check it: https://photos.google.com/
Does this replace Picasa?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cozmosis posted:

Yes. Clean, simple and smart speed and voice boosts are fantastic. Well worth the money.
Yeah I'm cheap as gently caress and never pay for apps and I bought Overcast. It and Wolfram Alpha are the only ones I've bought.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kaizoku posted:

Year long membership to some new password manager called Dashlane is free from AppSumo right now: https://www.appsumo.com/dashlane-deal/buy/

I haven't really heard anything about it before, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't tell you the weather.
A friend told me he uses Dashlane.

He didn't understand why I started laughing like a maniac.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

badjohny posted:

Crystal is .99c now.

Think I am going to wait a few days and let some reviews of the blockers come out. Seems to be a lot of them flooding the store now.
What the gently caress when did I miss out on free Crystal?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

bronin posted:

First 24 hours or so after iOS 9 has been released.
Motherfuck, this is what I get for waiting for kinks to get ironed out.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Am I the only person who still uses Echofon?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have saved 60 hours with Overcast smart speed. Definitely got my $5 worth.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

Weather Underground (lovingly wunderground) is being sold to IBM by The Weather Channel. Wonder what the fallout from this will be if any.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-ibm-acquires-weather-company-20151028-story.html
Weather Channel app seemed pretty good before they bought wunderground.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

flosofl posted:

Scanner Pro has better document detection and good OCR, but I will say Scanbot has better OCR.
Aside from Scanner Pro and Scanbot, are there other scanning apps to consider?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

decypher posted:

Sleep Cycle just got a sweet update that negates the need to place the phone on your bed anymore. Through sound detection magic it hears when you move in bed, just place the phone on the ground or a nightstand.

Have a significant other? Place their phone on the other side of the bed, the two phones will sync and talk to each other(after setup) to determine which person is moving. Holy poo poo.

Sounds good, really curious how this will work. If I use the app I always use airplane mode but I'll give this a shot.
I've never actually used Sleep Cycle even though I bought it. This could definitely get me on the train though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm Windows except for my iPhone and I've been pretty happy with the Gmail app. Most notably, delete actually sends messages to the trash instead of archiving them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Any recommendation for an app that can track mutual funds? The stock Apple app cannot seem to find the specific fund I'm looking at. Thanks in advance! I did check the OP but there wasn't anything there for this purpose.
I actually like the CNBC app.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've played around with basically every TV show tracking app and TeeVee is still the best. It ties into Trakt.tv so you can access everything from your computer too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

People on the internet love to poo poo on Apple.

This has, unfortunately, translated to people IRL making GBS threads on Apple.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

~Coxy posted:

You're correct in that an app cannot record a phone call.
The apps call your phone number and get you to make a 3 way call with their VOIP service and the person you're talking to.
Then presumably they send you a download link.

No recommendations, sorry, but I did notice that "tapeacall pro" claims to not have any charges past its initial app cost (AUD$15) so if that turns out to be a mistruth then you should be able to get a refund from Apple.

The other option is to jailbreak if your IOS version allows it.
This is a shame since my old Sony Ericsson featurephone could record calls directly back in 2007.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Paprika sounds great, but the application doesn't accurately predict weather in my area so the real question is what application should I use for weather. Don't say Dark Cloud because you can't store recipes in it.
Overcast, or Downcast if you don't like Marco.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Speaking of sponsored tweets...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I paid for good reader and I've never used it

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Weedle posted:

How does Waze get that data? Do they monitor users' speed and location and mark an area as experiencing heavy traffic if everybody is going way slower than they should be, or do they expect users to dick around with their phone while driving?
The latter. You get e-points for providing info.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I also use 1block and it seems to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Any recommendations for weight loss/calorie tracking apps? Gonna try to be disciplined over the next 2 months.