Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Selklubber posted:

While we're on music apps, what's the best app from playing music stored on the phone? I tried the built-in app and groove but they don't work so well.

I use Picky, if only because it emulates the iOS6 music app with iOS7 UI and colorized now playing. If you're looking for something more, this probably isn't for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What's a good news aggregator app? I've been using SmartNews but although the look and feel is nice, I'd like to be able to filter out sources. Seeing The Onion, Fox News, Mashtable, Buzzfeed, and Daily Mail is annoying when mixed in with real news. Not to mention entrepreneur stuff in tech news.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Scratch-O posted:

Any good youtube apps available at the moment? Jasmine is dead and the official one won't even load most videos any more. I swear, you can't even film an empty room these days without Content ID slapping you for playing copyrighted silence clips.

I use MxTube, its pretty good.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

duckfarts posted:

Wish I read this half an hour ago, as I just got 1Password for Win/Mac after using a coupon(moving off of Keepass because the apps for it are just okay and the Mac port is terrible last I tried). Dashlane seems to be really good and only lacking a bit in a few areas maybe, and it uses subscriptions instead of a license, so if you want premium features, 1Password may be better for you.

http://thesweetsetup.com/apps/best-password-manager-and-why-you-need-one/

Wonder why he mentions "Then, every time I clicked on the browser extension, I was encouraged to share the app with my friends." when that's not the whole truth. There's a little "Invite your friends" button on the bottom that I just now realized was even there. Dashlane is pretty alright and works for me, give it a shot.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

Does anything ever leave Cydia?

Nope, feel free to browse iOS3 and 4 themes to your hearts content.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

The new Google Drive update says I can upload from other apps. Problem is, I can't figure out how. I've given it all the permissions it needs.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

dazjw posted:

So there's two things - they've added an iOS8 share extension thing to upload files from the system share sheet
(this might've been a while ago), and they've also added the ability to upload files using the iOS storage extension api, but for that second one the source app has to support it by providing their own storage provider thing. If you're not seeing things in the upload files dialog that might be it (or if it's just that you just literally can't find it, it's the plus sign in the top right corner, then 'upload files')

I can upload files just fine in the app, but I was expecting to use the share sheet in, say, the photos app to upload without opening the Drive app. unfortunately I don't see Drive anywhere on any share sheet.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Snowy posted:

Do any of the other youtube apps let you minimize the viewer so you can browse while the video continues playing?

MxTube and its replacement TubeX does.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

keevo posted:

Does anyone else use Dashlane? Does it work for Gmail? I turned off the For some reason it wont automatically log in and it's kind of annoying to have to open the app and copy/paste the thing especially since I have to bounce around a couple different email addresses. I think the app should just automatically log in for me or at least let me copy/paste the thing from the browser extension.

I do, I like it :shrug:

The broswer extension loves to not work for me, It kinda sucks. More reliable to go to the app, copy the pass, and multitask back to Safari.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Why is Dark Sky not alerting me to rain? Do I need background refresh on?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

decypher posted:

How else would it know you've changed locations?

Well even with refresh turned off, location services was still lit up 24/7.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Legs Benedict posted:

sorry we are mocking the well paid internet writer man for complaining that the nice apple watch band looks ridiculous when he wears a lovely spiked leather bracelet

only serious talk in this thread

speaking of which, thread, is there a reddit app that isn't complete hot loving garbage? I only need it for like two subreddits but as far as I can tell they are all really bad

Alien Blue with the Classic UI is good. Whatever new UI they introduced was terrible, switch that off immediately.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What the hell kinda poo poo is that. Who doesn't use a passcode.

Quite a few people I know. An ex didn't because she felt like it meant she was hiding something.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

New Reddit app is out, but please don't delete Alien Blue if you already use it. They pulled AB from the app store. You can still download it from Updates -> Purchased though.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I'm gonna vote Dashlane

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Dashlane is just fine, I've been using it since the whole scare got everyone using these things in the first place.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Michael Scott posted:

Going to delete Gboard. It was cool, but I don't use swype and it is too unstable. It crashes maybe 25% of the time I need it to work.

Part of why iPhone was a great ecosystem for devs was a small, closed hardware model. It is still closed, but now devs need to make each app work for each one of a dozen possible HW/iOS combos. Looks like mine is a bad combo for Gboard.

I think that's less GBoard and more Apple having garbage keyboard support.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Dugong posted:

Yeah I got the free parrot one. Been getting some good reactions.

Free parrot one?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Dashlane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I’m in the same boat, it’d be great if they alerted me to things on my wishlist being on sale, something that’d actually make me want to buy something. But nope, a million notifications about sales I don’t care about