Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Weedle posted:

Which password manager is the good one again

Keepass > 1password

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

bobfather posted:

I guess I was being facetious when I said fairly unlikely. A 30+ character password with 62 possible characters yields over 128 bits of entropy.

So if the attacker can test 100 trillion passwords a second, they'll get my password after about 400 trillion years.

Hashcat on modern hardware can do like 8 million guesses a second. I'll have to watch out for the attacker that can network the needed 13 million computers so they can get my Gmail password in 400 trillion years.

Time isn't a useful factor to consider, because this implies a sufficiently quick computer can achieve it.
Energy is the problem. If you assume a perfect computer, which uses the theoretically smallest unit of energy possible to test one key, it would still take more energy output than is in a supernova to cycle through a 256bit keyspace. It's provably such a hard task that it's fundamentally impossible within our understanding of physics (and this includes quantum computing).

Bruce Schneier posted:

One of the consequences of the second law of thermodynamics is that a certain amount of energy is necessary to represent information. To record a single bit by changing the state of a system requires an amount of energy no less than kT, where T is the absolute temperature of the system and k is the Boltzman constant. (Stick with me; the physics lesson is almost over.)

Given that k = 1.38×10-16 erg/°Kelvin, and that the ambient temperature of the universe is 3.2°Kelvin, an ideal computer running at 3.2°K would consume 4.4×10-16 ergs every time it set or cleared a bit. To run a computer any colder than the cosmic background radiation would require extra energy to run a heat pump.

Now, the annual energy output of our sun is about 1.21×1041 ergs. This is enough to power about 2.7×1056 single bit changes on our ideal computer; enough state changes to put a 187-bit counter through all its values. If we built a Dyson sphere around the sun and captured all its energy for 32 years, without any loss, we could power a computer to count up to 2192. Of course, it wouldn't have the energy left over to perform any useful calculations with this counter.

But that's just one star, and a measly one at that. A typical supernova releases something like 1051 ergs. (About a hundred times as much energy would be released in the form of neutrinos, but let them go for now.) If all of this energy could be channeled into a single orgy of computation, a 219-bit counter could be cycled through all of its states.

These numbers have nothing to do with the technology of the devices; they are the maximums that thermodynamics will allow. And they strongly imply that brute-force attacks against 256-bit keys will be infeasible until computers are built from something other than matter and occupy something other than space.

If you stack that vs "er yeh they've been breached consistently over a handful of years but I PERSONALLY think its ok!" lastpass and other cloud solutions don't stack up.
Keepass or 1password encrypt with AES256 [granting the above math] and have no server to compromise and MITM your vault.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

What's the point of password managers again, I'm a bit lost

Am I a pleb if I just let chrome save it

Consider the track record of browser exploits, and the fact your browser is almost your entire attack surface when you're online.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Minikeepass works

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If you have one of the many battery glitches plaguing recent iOS/iPhones, and lose battery disproportionately quickly, it will assign this to the app/apps running at the time.
You could be chasing a red herring here, and 'just' have the usual battery woes.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Overcast is the best again

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

As someone who once blasted a podcast at full volume into an office when trying to press the 'i' -- press twice to play is amazing, cool and good.
No swipe to delete was bad but they fixed it.

This is my podcast app views post part 2.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Dark Sky is loving trash and I didn't even pay for it.
It's the best weather app.

Tell us what esoteric use case you insist on that it doesn't cover.
:allears:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Living in a country where it's not supported :(

Yeah that's valid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

maduin posted:

Nah. Storm is really good if you need the radar front and center.

I feel like all weather apps are designed by people living in 70 degrees year round and not in the Midwest where it's 30 when you wake up and 65 and raining by 3pm.

Or the UK, where Dark Sky's hourly prediction has made my life easier by a much larger margin than it has any right to have.