Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Froist posted:

Mine has never once shown me an ad, let alone a stealth email-styled ad. And I’ve been using the Gmail app for years...

Ditto. That's why I was so confused :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Unless I'm misunderstanding you can press

this button to read the whole article in-app in like a reader view. I wish there was an option to always be in that mode though

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Clark Nova posted:

There's still no way to get twitter links to open in a third-party app instead of the official client if you have it installed, right?

There's Opener. I know for a fact it supports the official client, Tweetbot, and Twitterific

Edit: I should really have refreshed the page. At least there's a link there for you

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Rageaholic posted:

My Pocket Casts Plus is saying it expires in August of 2118 lmao :cheers:

I got -37 years added to my account… seems reasonable

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Cloudflare updated their 1.1.1.1 DNS app with their 'Warp' VPN they announced on April 1st.

Trying it out it seems to legitimately make everything internet related on my phone faster (which I suppose could just be placebo but it seems significant) but my 'too good to be true' senses are tingling

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pnumoman posted:

Anyone have any good iPad video player recommendations? Now that there's native samba share support in Files, I wanna watch some stuff like anime that doesn't fit neatly into my Plex server.

I like Outplayer. Helps that it's completely free. Tried it based on the dev's post on /r/Apple and it's played everything I've thrown at it flawlessly

step_s posted:

I watch a lot of video on my Mac where there are some great projects like mpv and IINA, but haven’t been satisfied with the design of video player apps on iOS. I was also inspired in particular by IINA so I wanted to try to create something to fulfill that niche on iOS.

So I created Outplayer! It uses mpv as a backend, so it will have no issues playing anything you throw at it. I designed the playback UI to be fluid and follow the iOS design language, and it has some QoL features like adjusting subtitles to fit when cropping or showing controls. I’m also looking to build out more “videophile” features in the future.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Anyone got dark mode in Gmail or Instagram yet? My Gmail seems to have a dark splash screen now but then the content is still blindingly white. Hopefully they'll have rolled out to everyone soon.

Mister Facetious posted:

I tested this with Cloudflare off, on, and with Warp active, and using Warp straight up murdered my upload speed and a good chunk of the download, using the Speedtest app on the same server each time.

I'm talking going from a high of 278/38 to 170/0.6.
I tried a few times and the upload never went higher than 1 and a few hundredths.
Turning off Warp immediately restored my rated speeds.

Yeah it seems spotty atm. I've turned it off for now but will check it out in a few months times. When it worked properly it seemed to work great.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
What's everyone's go-to photo editing app nowadays? Trying to make a more concerted effort to take good photos.

Not too bothered if it's premium or subscription as long as it's good and updated.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

IUG posted:

The kick in the balls is when you do buy an app (for me it's Twitteriffic, 1Password, and Reader that come to mind), but then a year later they come out with a "new" version and want you to buy it again.

Well that's the (in my opinion worse) alternative to the subscription model.

They've gotta get paid for their effort somehow or else the app will just become abandonware

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is it just me or is Overcast constantly falling out of memory now on the iPhone? Or making other things fall out of memory.

It seems like if I leave Overcast and do anything else it’ll launch fresh, and if I try to multi task from a game while listening to a podcast the game will have to launch fresh again.

https://twitter.com/marcoarment/status/1189213173439696900

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

maduin posted:

also, invest in like Pocket or Pinboard or just bookmark poo poo instead of being a psycho with tabs open for years at a time

I use Pocket, Pinboard, and still keep thousands of tabs open :science:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kempy posted:

Strong agree, fantastic little app. Slightly annoying that previously paid users weren't rewarded anything when they opted to change to the subscription model.

I don't use Pocket Casts anymore cause I prefer Overcast but isn't this saying I have their subscription model for free for life?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Ooo this is a fun game.

I'm gonna try to type P.O. Box

Works for me as well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Montalvo posted:

Ah, makes sense. I have freakishly large Sasquatch hands so I couldn’t figure out why that might be necessary.

You can disable it in Settings > Accessibility > Touch

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Funso Banjo posted:

Is there a recommendation for a free RSS reader out there that's decent?

I know most of them are free with a cost to unlock pretty basic functionality, but I'm looking for something completely free if possible. I didn't like Flipboard, though.

The iOS version of NetNewsWire is in public beta currently but pretty drat great. Only has Feedbin and Feedly support atm though

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Weedle posted:

I was prepared to try it for about thirty seconds before I tried to open the year view and it told me that was a premium feature. I actually said "ha!" aloud. I'm not paying a loving subscription fee for poo poo my phone could already do the instant I turned it on.

Looks like they pushed through another update that stops you from accessing the year view at all if you're not premium. Feels a lot better than having it show up and then just spring away

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

priznat posted:

I have zero issue with them having a go at creating a new subscription service for an amazing sexy app or whatever but don’t gently caress me over on something I had already purchased and was just fine with as it was. I don’t need the new features I was good but to take away stuff I was perfectly happy with as is? That’s loving bullshit and it will really affect if I pay for apps in the future. I think Fantastical was like $10 too? Sheesh.

What did they take away?

I'm curious cause I don't really use the app a lot but all the Apple blogs made it seems like all the features you had before are unlocked for Fantastical 2 users which is what it seeks like to me

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Gmail had it first but I guess they're still A-B testing it. I've had it for months

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

withak posted:

Protip: Uninstall facebook app and don't look back. The mobile site works fine.

You were so close until that last part

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Looking to replace Chrome Remote Desktop for remoting into my Mac and gaming PC from my phone.

Looking at Screens and Jump and was wondering if anyone has any leaning either way. Even better if you've used both and have a reason to prefer one over the other.

I'm leaning towards Screens personally since the UI looks a little cleaner and more Apple-like

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Jump it is. Thanks!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

ketchup vs catsup posted:

The latest iOS/iPadOS kindle apps now lose your book’s position if you background or kill the app. Thanks amazon!

Looks like that was a thing (didn't see it personally). Should be fixed now. Latest release notes mention it

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Rolo posted:

Is there no longer an iOS games thread? It’s gonna rain here for 10 days and I’m itching for a tower defense game I can play on my iPad that lets me draw mazes of towers.

It's in the Mobile Gaming subforum

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659022

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Anyone getting a bunch of old app updates in their update list?

I know I've installed these before and I'm seeing some from weeks ago and some from January. It's weird

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Nitrousoxide posted:

Any recommended apps for manga reading?

Panels for your local/importing from a cloud service stuff.

Paperback for streaming it from certain dubious websites.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Femur posted:

What browser is recommended for adblocking? Nextdns seems to do nothing for me.

Safari with 1Blocker?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Question Mark Mound posted:

I was definitely able to add photos to items (e.g. passports) in the past to 1Password. Did they remove that feature for non-subscribers? I’ve never paid for a subscription to them so it for sure used to be a regular feature.

If so, I may need to look into switching to another password vault app.

I'm a subscriber but it's under Edit -> Add New File for me

101 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 15, 2021

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

tuyop posted:

Bitwarden has this feature in the free tier. https://bitwarden.com/help/article/attachments/

quote:

File Attachments are available for Premium users, including members of Paid Organizations (Families, Teams, or Enterprise).

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Does anyone know if this new Google Workspace for everyone announcement will somehow let you use Gmail in Apple Mail with IMAP?

I vaguely remember when they took it away years ago people saying if you had some sort of Google business account you could still use IMAP

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

astral posted:

e: Wait, did they actually take IMAP access away at some point, or was this specifically an issue with Apple Mail? Though I didn't use it, I still have my settings for IMAP on the Gmail side.

Please don't tell me you've always been able to use IMAP with Gmail and I just somehow invented this problem in my head… :bang:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kalman posted:

I think you’re thinking of not being able to use push for Gmail in Mail.app; IMAP has always worked, just on scheduled fetch.

Ah yes. That was it

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Dugong posted:

Is there a way to make more than one Hidden photo album with the stock Photos app? Just ended a relationship and I’d like to keep some of the photos (for now) but not see them in my camera roll or the standard Hidden folder.

:sever:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

virinvictus posted:

A couple years ago, there were always apps considered to be essential… now, the landscape is so messy… what do you consider essential for an iPhone / iPad?

Awful for forums

1Password for passwords

PocketCasts/Overcast for podcasts

Apollo for Reddit

Spark for email

Reeder for RSS (or Unread/Lire)

Strong for strength workouts

Parcel for parcel tracking

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Red_Fred posted:

But just so I’m not being dumb I’m running YT mobile in Firefox on my phone, is that right?

Isn't it a Safari extension?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Snowy posted:

Anyone got a working Imgur upload shortcut yet? iOS 15 broke the one I was using that added img tags

Pretty sure this one works

Yup

Only does one image at a time though if that's a problem

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Pertplus posted:

Is there an alarm app that would allow me to set an alarm which goes off every weekday, and also has a “turn off tomorrow” button, similar to iOS wifi? When I turn my alarm off on the odd non-work day, I always forget to turn it back on.

You can do this with the alarm clock sleep feature. You set a time for it to wake you every weekday and then on the days you don't want it you can go into sleep mode and skip the next alarm

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yeah at the top of the alarms tab in the clock app should be a 'wake-up' schedule feature. It's that

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Thwomp posted:

Not really sure if this is the right thread or not but is there any tv tracking app that can provide reliable data on upcoming airings?

I’ve got TV Time, which is great, but it’s also seemingly unable to tell me when next episodes of Star Trek Discovery, Bluey, and a couple of others air.

It apparently uses trakt.tv for its info but IMDb also has inaccurate future air date information. Is this just where we are at now?

I do get that shows without announced premier dates won’t obviously have them but like Discovery had an announced 13 episode run and trakt.tv seems to think it was just 10.

I use the official Trakt app and find it really useful. I have it filtered to only show upcoming season premieres though.

If there's some sort of error with the metadata I think you can report it on the Trakt website and it'll get fixed

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Red_Fred posted:

Has anyone moved from Strong to Hevy yet? I’m getting really sick of Strong given all the false promises from the dev and the pretty hefty price tag for it.

But I’m not sure Hevy has all the features yet, especially Watch related bits.

Ooo. Hadn't heard of Hevy but now I'm curious too.

I quite like Strong but does feel like the price tag doesn't match the current development effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I used to be a diehard Overcast user, but the way Pocket Casts handles queueing is way better and now I can't go back.