Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Other than the stock mail.app, can anyone recommend a good Exchange client? Ideally, it would be all in one (email, cal, Todo, etc...) but I can work around just email. I was using Mail+ for Outlook and loved it, but with the 6 Plus the Comically Huge Fonts/Keyboard is starting to get on my nerves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lum_ posted:

I'm a huge fan of Acompli and the iOS 8 update for it just dropped over the weekend. It's an all-in-one client that pulls in *everything*.

https://www.acompli.com/

Thanks. I actually tried that one over the weekend. I could never get it to connect. Even using the exact same settings I have for the stock app (which does work).

At this point I think it's the half rear end implementation at my work. I'm migrating to a system in a couple weeks so I'll try again then.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

Looks like Mailbox and Fantastical had a wonderful baby.

You guys are going to make me cry. I keep getting Error Connecting to Server when the settings I'm using are identical to the stock mail.app settings.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

flosofl posted:

You guys are going to make me cry. I keep getting Error Connecting to Server when the settings I'm using are identical to the stock mail.app settings.

loving hell, finally got that drat thing working. Me like.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Edit- finally got Acompli it working. Seems decent but nothing amazing. Well Exchange is still hosed up a bit. Not a great start, but hopefully the features make up for it.

I ended up deleting my account information from it and uninstalling as soon as I found it it's actually delivering your mail by proxy. I also changed my password right after I did that. Your credentials are stored on their server which retrieves your email and then serves it up to you in their app. That makes me very uncomfortable. No thank you.

I really should have been more thorough researching the app before I set it up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Didn't know this. Added to the OP.

I saw it mentioned here, so I hunted all over the site for more information and just found vagueness until I dug it up in their privacy policy. This is literally the only place I saw it mentioned that said, "hey, we have your credentials on tap"

quote:

Some email accounts (ones that use Microsoft Exchange, for example) also require that you provide your email login credentials, including your username, password, server URL, and server domain. Other accounts (Google Gmail accounts, for example) use the OAuth authorization mechanism which does not require us to access or store your password.

I should note, GMail users are in the clear for cached credentials. They still have unfettered access to your email account, and your email is *still* moving over their systems so they can apply the "Focus" algorithm on them.

They seriously need to make that more clear in the application description on the App Store.

e: added a couple more thoughts.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 7, 2014

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

rear end Catchcum posted:

so If we signed up with the app but then changed our mind and deleted the app what do we need to do to make sure they no longer have access, just change our email password?

If you removed the account from within the app before you deleted it, according to them (at least from what I *think* it said in the privacy statement) it will remove your stuff from their servers.

Regardless, change your password so ongoing access is denied. Additionally, if you use Exchange remove the Active Sync client in your OWA settings called "Acompli".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Goons, Beats Music or Spotify? Tell me which one I should get and why.

While the social stuff is nice, that part doesn't really interest me. I'm more interested in variety of playlists and how easy they are to discover and how the app changes to your tastes over time. I currently have trial on both, but I don't think a week is enough time to really get what the advantages of each are.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Taking a look at their security overview, there isn't a "credential db" goldmine. Instead they isolate user accounts, so an attacker would have to individually decode the accounts each user uses. That would be the most common sense way to run an email proxy service.

In any case, I think it's kind of funny that we have have a :tinfoil: warning for Acompli, and none for Mailbox. Mailbox also uses a proxy service, doesn't promise to delete all your data when you leave, and is owned by a company with Condoleezza Rice on its board of directors. And there's no way to delete a mailbox account, meaning that I had to manually deauthorize Mailbox from each of my gmail account when I was done with their service.

As for why use a proxy service at all, I think a lot of Acompli's features (email scheduling, fast searching and sorting, push notifications for everything) wouldn't work as well at all or as well if it had to refresh with multiple services at once or keep track of everything on the device. You're right that it they should make it clear that it's a cloud service and not just an app, but to my eye they are a cloud service worth using.

My issue isn't really with what Acompli does, but how it's disclosed. If I were using it for a personal email account I really wouldn't have much of an issue. Unfortunately, in this case, I was looking for a replacement to the stock mail.app for Exchange. I really should have done more research than the App Store page so that's on me.

The problem comes in with corporate users in this day of BYOD at many enterprises. At the very least it bypasses any enforced PIN/Password policy that a company may require for you to link your device into their email infrastructure. On top of that is this would violate many corporate data retention policies with regards to company confidential and possible trade secrets. For me personally, I personally deal with a lot of security and vulnerability information (which makes it double bad I didn't do my due diligence) which means my data handling policies are even more stringent.

Now, I already notified my IT group. Since I already deleted my Active Sync entry on my account and immediately changed my password I'm more or less in the clear. I don't foresee any additional fallout beyond the "what were you thinking?" but if it does come down on my head, it was my lapse of judgement that caused it. The reason I took an "alarmist" stance is that a) it's not clearly labeled and b)it's one of the few really slick Exchange clients that is optimized for iPhone 6/6plus. I wanted people who were thinking of using it for Exchange to realize they may be in violation of their company policies.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yay! iKonic released and update to Mail+. Finally optimized for the iPhone6/6plus. No more comically huge display.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I went from a 5S to a 6+ yesterday and now I don't get any badges or notifications on Mailbox. Can anyone help me with this? Also, not sure if this is unusual or not, but Mailbox does not show up under Settings>Notification Center. It's not listed. Would really love some help on this.

I also have this issue. The only help as far as I know is wait for it to be addressed in an update. Some people have said deleting mailbox and then reinstalling fixed it, but I haven't been able to get it to work.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Honestly just makes me feel better knowing it's a known thing and not me turning off/on the wrong/right setting.

I ended up using Boxer for my iCloud emails because of the badge issue and the fact that mailbox.app still suffers from the COMICALLY HUGE font/keyboard not being optimized for the 6/6+.

e: I'm not saying go buy Boxer. I had purchased it before I moved to mailbox, so I already had it to fall back on.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OldSenileGuy posted:

Ever since I updated 1Password to the latest version, it never asks for TouchID unless I just had the app open and unlocked, and just switched away from it for a second. If I open the app cold, it always asks for my master password. It didn't do this when iOS8 first came out, it changed to this behavior with the last big update.

Is this how it's supposed to be, or is my install broken or something wrong with my settings?

The only time it should be asking for the Master Password is the 1st time you access it after you've rebooted the iPhone or you have grubby, nasty fingers and TouchID gives up on trying to find a fingerprint. I just verified mine only asked for a fingerprint after I unloaded 1Password and re-opened it. I also have it set to lock after I move away from the app.

Agilebits has a really good support forum and should be able to help you out if it's just flat out not using Touch ID when you tell it to in the Security section of Settings.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dizzywhip posted:

I'm looking for a grocery list app or a general to-do app that can function as a grocery list. Specifically, I'd like one that remembers all the items that I've entered in the past so I can scroll through them and select ones that I want to re-add or get suggestions when I'm typing. Ideally that would be the only thing it does -- I'd prefer that the app didn't try to be "smart" and automatically categorize items by type of food or whatever.

I've been using the app Silo for this, and it's very close to what I want aside from two things. The list of previously-added items is sorted by the last time you checked it off the list with no option to sort alphabetically, which makes it very difficult to find what I'm looking for. It also doesn't provide suggestions when you're typing in a new item.

There's gotta be something like this out there already, but there are so many of these kinds of apps out there that it's hard to sort through them all.

My SO and I use Shopping List by hensoft. As you type in items it will list past items that match. The biggest draw for us is you can set up list sync so she can put stuff on the list and it will update my app.

EDIT: I think they have a 'lite' version so you might be able to test to see if it meets your needs.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 21, 2014

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, I just had my first hang up this morning oppening facebook messenger. I think it's too soon to tell if this is going to really annoy me or not.

Coming from android I find it incredibly frustrating that iOS hangs up on something that newer android does stock very well. I would think that with it's large user base, and messenger being such a big thing for so long, that someone at Apple would have done this a long time ago.

This all seems to be related to the new keyboard API. Except for "secure" or password fields, it looks like anything that accepts text input is using this new API, regardless of whether a custom keyboard is installed.

Custom keyboards are a brand new thing barely over a month old. Apple never had to worry about it before. Yeah, they probably had issues pop up in the betas, but it should get sorted shortly. Even though it really should have been identified and addressed before general release.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

There's an iOS music thread here, but it's pretty quiet these days:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364734

Animoog is fantastic fun to play with. GlitchMachine and BitWiz are really good for 8 bit squelches. SunreizerXS is a great synth.

MoDrum, BassLine and FunkBox are worth a look to see if that's the sort of thing you want, what they do they do well.

SunVox and NanoStudio are my favorite song editors.

Can't go wrong with Korg. iElectribe and iMS-20 are good, but if I had to recommend just one Korg app, it'd have to be Gadget. That thing is made of awesome and rainbows.

EDIT: And Audiobus. I'm not sure if they've patched it for iOS 8 yet, but that's the glue that hold's all the music apps together.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

GarageBand would probably be the most obvious answer.

:doh:

Yep, that one for sure.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

netcat posted:

iOS 8 Safari deleted all my bookmarks for no reason.

iOS8 Safari always has a reason, but it moves in mysterious ways that are beyond a mere mortal's ken.

EDIT: Serious response, if you really want/need them back you may have to restore for the last backup done.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DorianGravy posted:

I have another question about Apple IDs. I have two IDs right now, one using an old email and one using a new email. I want to get rid of the old email address. If I do, will I lose access to that Apple ID? Presumably I can't update that Apple ID to use the same email as the other ID, right?

You would be correct. I had my iTunes account set to my gmail account. And an iCloud account. I've been told more than once by Apple that there is no way to combine them.

I just have to remember to change my iTunes account information so it doesn't use the iCloud creds.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hughlander posted:

Did they change at some point where the name off then Id has to be the email associated with it? It didn't used to be the case and even now I have an Apple Id and developer account the same as my forum name.

If so though just make them an iTunes family account and then you can access the purchases

I'm pretty sure he's talking about IDs for iTunes and iCloud. I'm fairly certain the user ID is the email associated with those.

EDIT: Here's the relevant page for changing the email associated, which also changes email you use to sign in. NOTE: you cannot change if the email is already being used on another account.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/ht5621

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 9, 2014

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I got P94 one. Thanks!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bolind posted:

Unfortunately, no. There's another bug which somehow prevents this because I "haven't properly set up e-mail." I have no idea why, I've tried, and I believe I have.

I actually ran into that with another app. Ultimately it's because I use a third party email and turned off email in my iCloud settings. iCloud email needs to be on for "email" functions in other apps to work. They can only use the default email app in iOS.

I ended up turning on iCloud email burying the mail.app icon on the Screen of Misfit Apps and turning off all notifications for the default app.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The later. I've had to switch to Apple maps. Kill me now.

Why? Apple Maps got me from my house just outside of Chicago to my parent's in BFE, North Carolina with nary a wrong turn.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

That's a steal, it's an awesome app despite the terrible UI.

A UI only a developer could love. But drat is it useful.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thirst Mutilator posted:

What do you guys use it for?

Personally, I use it for annotation of PDFs, and I can print, email, move to online storage, all that kind of stuff.

It will also open for viewing a wide variety of document types.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

maduin posted:

I work extensively with large PDFs (I'm in an English PhD program) and spend a lot of time in PDF Expert; I've used both PDF Expert and Good Reader, and I definitely prefer PDF Expert.

Yeah, I've been starting to use PDF Expert a lot more over the last week (I also deal with very large PDFs). I'm also playing with Documents 5 by the same company, and pretty drat pleased with it as well. Good Reader may end up in the uninstall pile. However, I do feel I definitely got much more than my money's worth in Good Reader.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

teraflame posted:

Is it easy to get started with 1password? Can I like import saved passwords from chrome quickly?

No, the keystores don't talk to each other if that's what you mean. While it causes inconvenience in this case, it's pretty much a good thing from a security standpoint that you can't import and export via 3rd party applications. EDIT: You can export stuff from the keychain using the CLI. See EDIT below.

The only way to get Safari passwords into 1Password is to visit each site, auto login using Safari and then allow 1Password Safari extension in OS X to store it. Can't do it at all with the iOS extension. That extension can only fill out logons from 1Password.

I just do mine in a "as I come across it" method. However, for the most part I'm logging in via 1Password and then allowing Safari to remember the login details.

EDIT now I see you mentioned Chrome.

1Password *will* import plaintext files in LastPass, SplashID or CSV. This is for OS X only, iOS there is no import.

Latest versions or Chrome use the OS X keychain. Go to this page and there's a comment for OS X regarding getting a list of passwords from the Chrome keychain.

http://superuser.com/questions/655294/how-can-i-export-chrome-passwords

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 30, 2014

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

I installed the trial for Windows and as far as I can see, all the Windows license does is remove a nagging splash screen on launch then it continues to work just fine from there.

The trial license mentions it will no longer be fully functional after 30 days. Not sure if that means it up and stops working or if you can only view password information on the PC Client.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Yea hoping they don't shittify the app.

Here's hoping it gets released as the Official Outlook Mobile client so I can actually use it. As it stands the Privacy Statement and their method of delivery of your mail makes corporate security twitch.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

L6YP code taken.

Thanks!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bronin posted:

Are there any other apps like "out of milk" out there? I just need a simple app for grocery lists that I can share with my girlfriend so we can both add and cross off items.

I use ShoppingList for myself and my fiancé. You can use it pretty simply, but you can also make lists for different stores/containers.

No iPhone6/6+ optimization, though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Neurostorm posted:

I'm a grad student and I just got an iPad and I'm looking for apps for reading (and organizing and taking notes on) journal articles (almost always a pdf). A friend suggested goodreader but I was wondering if anyone else had suggestions. Ideally I would like to be able annotate, as well as sort based on either year or author (if it can automatically generate that information that would be a plus as usually the default file names from the various websites are rather useless). Anyone have any ideas?

Good reader is decent. But for annotation I prefer PDF Expert.

However, Good Reader is on sale right now for 80% off.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

You're going to have to rename poo poo yourself in all the apps.

Let's see:

Goodreader for PDFs,
Dropbox for PDF syncing,
Notability for slideshow notes,
Penultimate for handwriting,
Evernote for typed notes (all things sync to Evernote),
Evernote for research clipping and poo poo,
Google drive for word doc syncing and collaboration/cloud services,
Scanner pro for scanning (sync to Evernote),
Mailbox for email triage,
Fantastical for scheduling
Marvin for epubs, kindle for mobis and textbooks.

The best solution I've found is to use Evernote as an annotated bibliography with a note per project but do your reading in GR. Just dump the PDFs into a note and when you search everything because you forgot where you used a source, you can do that and the article will pop up.

The only thing I'd disagree with is Notability as there's really no easy way to get handwritten notes into Evernote since there's no native sync. I use Noteshelf, personally. It has a built in Evernote exporter and there's In App purchase to set notebooks created to sync automatically with Evernote as well. You can export as a PDF or a PNG into Evernote which I like. Plus the pen stroke rendering looks so much better in that one.

The only thing I'd recommend, is instead of created a *ton* of notebooks in Evernote, is maybe a adopting a GTD workflow for your notes. Use a hierarchical tag structure and create a bunch of Smart Searches. The cool thing about that is depending on your search criteria, you can pull up items you never would have thought would be related. You would be unlikely to using a plain each-subject-gets-a-notebook.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I believe the answer is "none, you have to jailbreak" if I remember correctly from all the other times this has been asked.

Google Voice app used to do it, but you had to set up a certain way. I don't know if they've since removed that capability. But if you're talking native phone calls, jailbreaking is the only way as the Parrot says.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

An Enormous Boner posted:

ProTube supremacy.

I'll second that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

Yeah I use it a few times a week. Boarding passes are handled PERFECTLY, as well. The whole thing is very "the future is now".

Hell, not to mention that little thing called Apple Pay that uses Passbook as well. I use that all the time, and every time I feel like I'm in THE FUTURE.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

maduin posted:

The security on Acompli is probably pretty good at this point -- I mean, Microsoft owns the company now, and you've got to think they're doing something right.

That's not the issue. The issue is a third party handling your credentials to your corporate account. This is typically against most company's security policies. Additionally, if you handle any kind of company confidential, trade secrets, or government data with a security classification you probably have security policies in place that forbid this kind of thing. A lot of times this can open you up to dismissal and even civil or criminal proceedings.

When Acompli was first released, I had to dive into the Privacy Statement to see that they actually acted as a proxy for your email. Policy aside, I deal with pretty sensitive internal data so that made it a non-starter for me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I might have missed it here, but Pushbullet was released today for iOS and the Mac.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

maduin posted:

Post-Acompli discussion: It's rebranded as Microsoft Outlook and available now.

FINALLY. Can't wait to give it a test spin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

maduin posted:

It's just Acompli rebranded as Outlook (still a great app), but they promise updates are coming.

Right, see the whole problem with Acompli was the 3rd party proxy stuff they were doing for mail and no one here knew them from a hole in the ground. And auditing yet another 3rd party mail solution was a low on the priority list.

However, now that MS has folded into their systems we don't need an audit as that was already done when we spun up Office 365. Even when MS bought them, they were still branded as Acompli and we could not use them per policy. Now that's its under the MS brand our usage falls under the SLAs, SOWs and contract we currently have with MS.

EDIT: Words are hard