Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

101 posted:

Switch to Kagi?

I can't check right now cause my 100 searches are up, but they have massive answer boxes suggesting some poo poo I didn't search for, and it's only marginally better in terms of results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

speaking of Panels, I thought of naming trends in iOS/macos apps, and one prominent one was the plural-noun. I guess iApps were another.

on the iOS paid leaderboard, i see Streaks, Things, arguably Ski Tracks (not counting AeroPads, PhotoPills, etc. -- they don't fit the mold). as far as iNames, i see iBend Pipe, iStroboSoft, iDrumTune, iReal

on iOS free, I see Threads (I don't think it really counts) and no iApps. it's mostly apps by companies with their own brands. I don't see any iNames.

on my App Library i see Drafts, iRetro, and iSh.

it seems it's the paid apps tending toward the names patterned after Apple's (eg Numbers, iTunes). I assume the iNames are mostly iOS-only. does anyone know if there are Android-only apps using the Nouns/iNames conventions? Are there other trends?

finally... why?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Corb3t posted:

I like Spark. I’m sure they’re harvesting my data or something.

I liked Spark, but I stopped using them when their new version came out cause I didn't like the UI. These days I would have some extra security concerns related to Russian cyberattacks. I would avoid online services tied to either country as there is a lot of tit for tat, inside jobs, etc. A big one recently:
Exclusive: Russian hackers were inside Ukraine telecoms giant for months

www.reuters.com - Fri, 05 Jan 2024 posted:

• Kyivstar hack destroyed telecoms giant's "core", he says
  • Russian military spy unit Sandworm seen behind hack
  • SBU caught Sandworm in earlier telecoms breach

LONDON, Jan 4 (Reuters) - Russian hackers were inside Ukrainian telecoms giant Kyivstar's system from at least May last year in a cyberattack that should serve as a "big warning" to the West, Ukraine's cyber spy chief told Reuters.

The hack, one of the most dramatic since Russia's full-scale invasion nearly two years ago, knocked out services provided by Ukraine's biggest telecoms operator for some 24 million users for days from Dec. 12.

In an interview, Illia Vitiuk, head of the Security Service of Ukraine's (SBU) cybersecurity department, disclosed exclusive details about the hack, which he said caused "disastrous" destruction and aimed to land a psychological blow and gather intelligence.

"This attack is a big message, a big warning, not only to Ukraine, but for the whole Western world to understand that no one is actually untouchable," he said. He noted Kyivstar was a wealthy, private company that invested a lot in cybersecurity.

The attack wiped "almost everything", including thousands of virtual servers and PCs, he said, describing it as probably the first example of a destructive cyberattack that "completely destroyed the core of a telecoms operator."

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Clark Nova posted:

I sure hope so, though apple may not want to allow users to run arbitrary code from the internet inside the app designed to run arbitrary code from the internet :jerkbag:

well, there are scriptable plugins in JavaScript for other apps like Drafts (I made a bbcode syntax and command palette, could probably do a smiley chooser) as well as apps like scriptable and rubyist. But Apple is not famous for its consistent App Store policies.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

xzzy posted:

The problem with RSS is sources regularly mess with the URL or straight up delete it so it turns into a janitor job trying to keep things going. Some of them farm it out to some kind of periodic scraping service and there can be a 24 hour delay before it actually hits your feed.

It's a cool idea and I've used it for 20 years but the modern internet has kinda ruined it.

I use rss daily and this rarely happens to me. Maybe a few times a year. anyway lire.app ftw