Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Kheldarn posted:

iKeywi is now on the App store. Probably as close as you'll get.

iKeyWi is the #1 reason I'm not thinking twice about ignoring ios8. The jailbreak implementation (iKeywi 2) is one of the finest creations on earth.

e: Reviews of the non-jb version don't seem all that great but for 99c I'm sure you can afford to tell us what it's like!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Yeah nice widgets are nice but there's only one website that offers up good local weather data.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Bummey posted:

What is with y'all and your weather apps? I can't remember the last time I checked the weather forecast.

Hey man, at least they're agonizing over the meat of an app instead of just their weather app icons. It's a step up for ios threads everywhere.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

His point is you guys take it to a special level.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Suqit posted:

You can always use Siri

No, you can't always use Siri in the real world.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

You pretty much can now actualy, Siri is really good and powerful and I need to use her more.

You misunderstand me.

Siri, play butthole surfers

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

It stands for Electronic Dance Music. Kaizoku you just insulted a lot of very serious germans.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Bummey posted:

Is there any keyboard with similar functionality to the jailbreak tweak swipe selection? The apple loupe is really tedious for making minor corrections and moving the text cursor around.

Nope. You're stuck with that dumb idea of a function until you jailbreak again.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

CitrusFrog posted:

Are there any media players for IOS that are capable of streaming music and video from a Windows PC/Networked HDD/whatever (like Avia Media Player and others for Android) to my ipod without having to install some sketchy RemoteGateway service?

AirPlayerHD CineXPlayer NPlayer OPlayer XBMC the list goes on and on and on (but those are the good ones). There is good media poo poo out there and none of it includes the need to install crap on your computer.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

CitrusFrog posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, and don't get me wrong, I wasn't knocking Plex, it looks pretty good. Also, what I meant by remote gateway is some of these media programs on ios require you to install a piece of software on your PC that acts as an interface/gobetween, and is required to be running for the media player in question to connect to the PC. I'm just used to being able to right-click a folder, hit share and make it network accessible without any other tomfuckery.

I'll give all of the suggestions a good look.

Ah hey, I hope I'm not too late on this. I included cinexplayer because someone was shouting it at me but it was in regards to DTS support. It doesn't have smb sharing support so don't waste your money on it if that's your key feature.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Thirst Mutilator posted:

What do you guys use it for?

A lot of people use it as a quasi-file manager. It's no explorer.exe but it's more computer janitor power than Jobs wanted people to have on their idevices.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Beweather 2 is worth it for getting the radar map in the widget, alone.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Monster before plebian! Precipitation radar supremacy.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Unsyndicated podcast episodes. Audiobooks. Speeches/lectures. It's really not a niche thing whatsoever.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

iKeyWi and a jailbreak is more stable than any legit keyboard mod I've used, yet and ikeywi isn't even officially supported in ios 8 :v:

I think you're out of luck.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Anybody know of a good to-do app that supports handwriting? This is all I could find and the dev has a dead website but I might try it for 3$. https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/manage-handwriting-to-do-task/id384312640?mt=8

None of the digital to-do lists has ever worked for me like writing poo poo down but it sure would be nice to have modern digital to-do list features thrown into the mix.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Wow. Hey I have a bridge I think you should buy. It's right over here...

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

My favourite youtube player is the "Request Desktop Version" function.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Dan does it especially for the drama. Seems uncool to edit out his beats.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

"Streaming" just means that it's stored in a local temp folder instead of a local permanent folder.

File Browser will work great for what you want.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I'm too lazy to quote poo poo but nPlayer was the correct answer to 50% of the questions in this page. And the last. And probably all of them since the start.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

"Request Desktop Site..." remains the best way to youtube.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Oh man, google just shat all over every single premium vnc business.

I'll try to put this thing through its paces tonight. I don't buy that it's as good as splashtop just yet. Splashtop isn't great because of the fidelity, it's the control schemes they offer.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Well slick is right but it lacks. If you're down with Splashtop's controls, you won't find that here and you'll want to stick with that. The lack of a right click in touch mode precludes it from all two of the mouse-driven pc games I play with it.

It's really good, otherwise. And free.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Neurophonic posted:

Does it require an Internet connection on both devices for handshake like Splashtop?

Yes, it does. There's no obvious way (and I only skimmed through their help section so I didn't see any way) to connect directly to an ip or 'advertised' machine over a local network.

Michael Scott posted:

Does it have anything over TeamViewer? TeamViewer is the poo poo.

Nope, TeamViewer's free version is excellent, better than VNC, and you don't need to know the IP of devices on your account. Seems that Google's installation is a little simpler though, and most people already have Chrome.

Teamviewer is exactly like CRD just crappy in its own ways. They're both free though so play with both to your liking. Also, a direct IP connection is a plus, not a negative.

Splashtop and premium VNC are still worth the money, imo. The fidelity and especially the control options for a touch screen blow everything else out of the water.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Ever since the last update I can't use hangouts in landscape mode. Hitting backspace starts activating the swipe to start phone call mechanism. (???) That made me laugh. It works fine in portrait though.

Endless Mike posted:

I've never had that happen and I don't see how Hangouts, a protocol in Gmail, which, as far as I can tell, is the most ubiquitous free email is somehow a special snowflake chat app. It's not like they're asking you to use, I dunno, Kik or something. Why don't you just text like a normal human being?

Get out of here with this stupid bullshit.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

TheJoker138 posted:

Basically everyone I know uses gmail for e-mail. Literally none of them use Hangouts. It's definitely a "special snowflake" app when it comes to normal people.

Personal anecdote, the word literally, your idea of normal people. You're on a roll with this hit post.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

ZShakespeare posted:

Woah. Looks like I offended someone's honor by criticizing Google. SMS would be a better option.

It's not offensive.

It's unhelpful. loving goons.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Hah, I have the opposite problem with the default app and itunes. Any new auto-synched podcast that ends up on my iphone will think I've listened to the first 1/3 of it.

I bought Downcast and never looked back. This isn't really helpful but I used to stick up for the default player....

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Yeesh hardcore history was a horrible example to use to sell smart speed. That show IS performance art (please don't admit to us publicly that you use it as a learning source). Dan knows exactly what he's doing when it comes to his dramatic beats and volume control. Editing that for him is not cool and kind of disrespectful to his craft - which is he drat good at.

You're free to do whatever you want, of course.

For me, Downcast's playlist control is what wins me. It's really robust and has awesome dynamic playlist controls. There's a couple of shows I'm sure I'd use smart speed on but the rest of the app is a no-sell for me.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Use ifunbox to control your idevice like it was any other sane design for PCs.

Dump your images in /var/mobile/Media/DCIM/ and you should see it in your photo collection on your device where you can set it as wallpaper.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

iOS Apps: Telling everyone else how they do

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Kempy use google chrome Remote Desktop. lol plex

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

The dude wanted a quick free solution for going out to have a smoke but don't let that stop y'all from suggesting an 8$ app at every waking opportunity.

At least they're better posts than the chat app shaming we just did.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

People are really sensitive about age discrimination.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

What is launcher? My google-fu fails me. Something like Activator?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Oh that sounds amazing. My mind is filling with ways to combine that with Activator.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

maduin posted:

Name is truncated on the home screen (Google Cal...) means it's a no go.

Let me tell you about this weather app's icon, hoo boy

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

cat games, amazingly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Hey look man, I don't like how you're using your weather podcasting password manager. Maybe you should just use SMS like a normal human being?