Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Lum_ posted:

I'm a huge fan of Acompli and the iOS 8 update for it just dropped over the weekend. It's an all-in-one client that pulls in *everything*.

https://www.acompli.com/

Do you know if it does push gmail or can I still only get that via the gmail app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Liking Acompli quite a bit so far. It does indeed push gmail, and has appropriate lock screen/notification screen swipe actions. It was bugging me that I couldn't swipe to delete on alerts in the gmail app. Fonts are very clean and everything's got a nice place to it. Calendar is rather nice too for what seems like the secondary/tertiary feature of the app.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

vtlock posted:

Is there an easy way to see new releases on Spotify? One of the things that has kept me on rdio is how prominently they display new releases.

Yep.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Do any of these services have some goddamn Bob Seger or Tool yet? That's the real question.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Riven posted:

Waze has been extremely useful for me as a division of Google.

I don't know how the rest of the country was, but prior to Google's acquisition of Waze, for southern California Google would pull traffic information from Sigalert.com which had much more detailed information on accidents such as "stoppage in far left lane." On really bad accidents, the CHP dispatcher notes gave me some idea as to the severity of the accident and if I should be avoiding the area altogether or not. Waze within Google Maps is now "accident reported on (name of freeway, which is useless since everybody around here goes by the fwy # and not the name) by Waze."

Other than knowing *something* happened, it's useless.

I just use the SigAlert app now when something seems fishy with how fast I'm going, but perhaps this is more of a regional thing than anything else.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Is there an intermediary app out there which handles auto-backups of photos to my google drive better than the G+ app? On android it was great about auto-backups whenever I took a photo but despite auto-backup being turned on in the G+ app on the iPhone 6+ I find myself having to open the app and browse to the G+ photos > Camera Roll page before it begins to back them up.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

So who else got their Google Inbox invite? I've tooled around in there just enough to find it might be cool...but the 15 minutes I've been in the app have accounted for 10% of my overall battery usage in the last 24 hours.

Gonna have to monitor that.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

TheJoker138 posted:

I requested one but haven't gotten it yet. You don't happen to have any invites to send out, do you?

I don't see where in the app I'd do that, so I'm guessing no?

As for my other issue with the photos, IFTTT seems to have solved that...it's not a perfect solution (backs up to Drive instead of where the rest of my photos are) but at least I'll have instant backups that I can always clean up later if need be.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Anyone have a chance to use Next as their keyboard? I'm on their invite list but I haven't gotten an invite so far.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

noirstronaut posted:

http://nextkeyboard.co

Autplays music with no way to stop it. 0/5 stars.

Agreed. Except there's a big music note that you can click to mute it. But other than that, sure.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Acompli is definitely acting goofy tonight. I've experienced it being a hair behind in the badge total when I get a deluge of emails and I'm bouncing in and out of the app, but tonight I haven't gotten a new email in hours and it keeps pingponging between no badge (0, the correct value) and 17, a total it hit about nine hours ago.

Other than that, my only real quibble with it is it fails to sync my gmail drafts folder, so any draft saved in the desktop gmail site never shows up in Acompli. Drafts composed/saved in Acompli appear in the desktop gmail, though.

My company gives a microscopic poo poo about security, so I feel fine in continuing to use the app. Security is the only reason I wouldn't recommend it to everyone using an iPhone, but even for only personal gmail I wouldn't use mail.app or the gmail app over Acompli.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

The wunderground app got updated and is finally 6+ optimized. I'm sure a lot of folks moved on to other apps but If you've stuck with it now's a good time to open it for (probably) the first time in months. Widget isn't sluggish garbage anymore either.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

I do what I can.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Feenix posted:

Has anyone else been having some issues with Weather Underground lately? It used to make sense... Now, not so much?

Here is my app when I have it set to my location:

Here is what my location looks like when I go to pick it:

And here is my location on the nearest station:

So why would it ever tell me 94??

The first image you posted is kinda their wider-area summary that's based off certain locations that have a lot more detailed wx info, NOT the hyper-local version you get when you drill down through the map (3rd img) or see your list of saved and current locales (2nd img).

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

I guess that last sentence where you say Twitter isn't just my timeline, @s, and DMs anymore is where I'm too old for this because I thought this is exactly what Twitter is and that's how I use it. Like I literally can not think of any more functionality that's required than seeing my timeline and seeing who included me in a tweet.

Lists. Being able to group the people you follow into lists, then view a version of your timeline that's just, say, sports-related tweets, or current events, or breweries, etc.

I'll kinda piggyback on this comment though and ask what Tweetbot does that Twitterrific does not do, or does not do as well? Given how great Twitterrific has been for me since switching over to an iphone a year ago, I'm actually surprised there's another client out there people seem to be fawning over even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Ummmmmmmm how else are you supposed to know what the weather will be when you pull your roast out of the oven?

While I always enjoy the person who brings it back around to weather for shits n giggles, I have to say that it'd be amazing if a cooking app pulled in your altitude and did the math on cooking times/temps to more accurately reflect your location.