Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Neurophonic posted:

Spotify has had an absolute ton of new music on the day or before the day of release recently, including some stuff that's a little left field from the norm. They have really good curated playlists too and well, it's well established and the apps are slick.

Is there an easy way to see new releases on Spotify? One of the things that has kept me on rdio is how prominently they display new releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

wooger posted:

"Browser extensions do require a natively running app. "

So no support on random PC you can't install stuff on at work, no support on Linux, no support on your parents PC when you're fixing something.

1password Anywhere does exactly this: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/4/en/topic/using-1passwordanywhere

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

obi_ant posted:

Juxtaposer

HJ3FNHNT49R7

This looks fun--thanks!

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

maduin posted:

I'll also say, I've started using Alternote for Evernote on my Mac and it's WAY better. This in conjunction with Drafts means I get Evernote without really ever having to see Evernote.

Seconding this. Evernote users should really try this app.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

tuyop posted:

Can Overcast import files from my computer? Some podcasts I like aren't available as streams and you have to download and put them on your podcast app. It was working great with the Podcasts app but I've decided to forget getting that to work ever again.

This might solve your problem: https://huffduffer.com

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

I don't know what a power user of Twitter does differently than someone who just checks their feed and clicks some links to articles every once in a while. If I want to save something to read later I send it to Readability and that's that.

Not sure why using Lists is so popular unless you're really that adamant about filtering through what tweets you see. Does Tweetbot really even do this much better than Twitter? Why are you following so many users that you need to filter anyway?

Much of my professional network is on Twitter, and lists help me separate professional discussion from general noise. Beyond that, there are some voices in my field that are more important than others, and lists allow me to carefully follow some users while periodically ignoring others.

I don't know if this makes me a power user, but I do know that Twitter can be used for much more than random links and animated gifs.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

Spotify only being $5 (student) in contrast to AM's $10 wasn't even the biggest reason for me leaving. It's like we forget that Apple Music is just a reimagining of Beats Music, a platform all of us avoided.

The price points are interesting. Apple Music, at $15 for my whole family, is the best deal for me. If I were a student, $5 for Spotify would be appealing.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

nate fisher posted:

Help please! I am trying to find a replacement for Mailbox given the news from yesterday. So far from my research the best 2 possible replacements are Spark and Outlook.

Depending on how you process your mail and handle your to do list, Dispatch is another fine option. It's my mail app of choice.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

flosofl posted:

Still moving away since their intention making Day One subscription.

I follow this app fairly closely, and I haven't heard anything about a subscription. I don't think you have anything to worry about on that front.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Vanellope posted:

It's on their twitter

Thanks for this. I hadn't seen it. Luckily, it sounds like 1) that's not coming up anytime soon and 2) it's only going to be for a certain set of features. As I'm reading it, the product will continue to work as-is for the foreseeable future.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Dubstep Jesus posted:

It's a really dumb policy since no matter how many free recorded lectures you watch they aren't going to get the piece of paper or access to professional networks that people actually pay tuition for.

I am a professor, and at my university, my lectures are my intellectual property (unless I develop them for online courses and sell them to the university). This is standard policy at most places. I often have students ask me if they can record lectures, and I'm fine with that. Bottom line: if you want to record a lecture, just ask. I think most profs would be happy that you want to return to the class content later.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

RhoA posted:

Apple Maps is perfectly fine these days. I feel that most people who continue to complain about it don't actually use it and just whinge about it because it used to be the thing to do.

I will add another vote to the "Apple Maps is bad at traffic" crew. I would love to use Apple Maps regularly, and I try it often, but it just doesn't have the traffic re-routing skills of Waze & Google Maps. I'm sure for people who don't deal with urban traffic, or who walk/train/bus everywhere, Apple Maps is awesome.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Irritated Goat posted:

What's the go to for To Do apps that can be shared? My wife needs to help me not have the memory of a goldfish when it comes to things to do around the house

If you want the path of least resistance, just create a shared list in reminders. Works well enough.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i'm looking for an app that would let me set multiple looping timers. basically set it so i get a notification each time one goes off, so i get a reminder every few hours for one thing, every day for another, etc. ideally it would also let you set "do not disturb" hours. anyone have an idea?

Due?

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

gypsyshred posted:

I'm looking for a to do list app, but with group support.

You might also want to look at Asana: https://asana.com

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

dik-dik posted:

Honestly I just use the safari reading list now.

Seconding this. If you're willing to use Safari as your main browser, Reading List is excellent.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Taxes posted:

Cesium is the best one that I've used.

Seconded. For more info: http://thesweetsetup.com/apps/best-ios-music-app-replacement/

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Housh posted:

Anyone using Ulysses for writing? I'm working on the 2nd draft of my thesis paper and all I got out here is my iPad Pro. Word seems a bit unwieldy for working on sections/multiple documents and I see how Ulysses interface is good for writing in different parts and then joining them together. I was wondering if anyone had experience with it or other writing apps on the iPad before I make the plunge since the app is a bit pricy.

A lot of this gets into personal preference, but you might also want to look at Scrivener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Wunderlist is being deprecated, so that's not a good option. I don't really have a better one for a shopping list other than that Paprika includes that function which I use and Paprika is a fantastic app.

For shopping lists, we use anylist -- https://www.anylistapp.com -- which is cross-platform, supports comments & pictures, stores, pricing, etc. Recommended.