Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Molten Llama posted:

Microsoft has officially gobbled up Acompli. I guess that solves the Outlook Mobile-shaped hole in Microsoft's mobile lineup.

Yea hoping they don't shittify the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

bobfather posted:

On iPad it's tougher to use because my hands aren't big enough, but it does have a way to shrink and move the keyboard to the right or left so you can swipe type one-handed, which is cool.

For the phone I am finding it easier to use with some practice, but in my opinion there is a pretty steep learning curve.

I do think it's one of those things which will completely change the way I type over time though.

This is tempting but I can't tell if it would improve my life
or be a complete disaster.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I bought Nintype this morning. It's pretty neat. Except it alerted me that it had a memory crash (on my 6+) and then proceeded to go all non-retina (and also with weird artifacts on the letters.. errant lines and stuff...)

And I can't figure out how to get Retina back?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

obi_ant posted:

Juxtaposer

HJ3FNHNT49R7

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Ok I've had Ecoute got a couple of days and I must say it's fantastic. Great app. Especially as it was free. Download it now, especially if it's gratis.

Ecoute is no longer free but $1.99. Please explain to me what makes it so special. I am curious. I have heard a ton of people saying "It's great!" but I don't recall seeing reasons.
:)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is Transmit cool? I want to want it. I like Panic. What are some common "use cases" that would be cool?

[edit]

I got Scant (Pro) and have OCR turned on but I'm not entirely sure how to use it.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 12, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I set playlists in YouTube for train videos for my kid. ( I did this action both in apps like Jasmine *and* on my computer just using YouTube.com. In all cases, any app I use on my phone ( jasmine, tuned, etc) shows the playlist but it comes up empty. ( and I am signed in.) Any ideas?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I have bought VLC way back. It's on my iPad Air. And my iPhone. I know it's not on the store but I thought since it was "purchased" I could download it to my mini?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

xzzy posted:

If you have the .ipa file you can install it to any of your devices with iTunes.

Ah so like in my iTunes on my Mac?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

xzzy posted:

Yeah, which is the best reason to occasionally sync to iTunes to copy all that stuff to your hard drive. You can right click the app icon in iTunes and 'show in finder' to find out where it's stored on your disk to archive it permanently if that's your thing.

Thanks. I'll take another stab tomorrow, as I plugged my son's Mini into iTunes (used to be mine back in the day) and the list of apps it wanted to install was 157 long. I just wanted VLC. I marked 150+ apps "will remove" and it still tried to install them all but managed to miss VLC. ( I had definitely selected it..)

Anyway, manually removed all those half-installed apps and am going to connect it to iTunes tomorrow and try again to get JUST VLC on there. Wonder if there is a setting or option I can toggle to make that process simpler.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Living Earth, the only weather app besides Weather Underground itself that uses the WU API, is on sale by about 65% for the holidays.

E: drat apparently that sale ended today. I'm still gonna pick it up because it's gonna look great on my 6+ I just know it

In that it is using WeatherUnderground API or whatever, does it tell me weather in my hood (local neighborhood weather station) much as WeatherUnderground does?

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Apparently it's the same price too. One happens to have a cool spinny globe though.

The other has really good lock screen widget.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Lazlo Nibble posted:

LivingEarth and Yahoo Weather don't have a way to drill down to the PWS level as far as I can tell. Entering the station codes doesn't do it, anyway.

PASS! :(

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Disappointing Pie posted:

Seriously this app is amazing. I'm pretty sure I can cancel my Splashtop subscription now this app works so well.

It's a very slick app that connects seamlessly and then just displays a black screen on my iPhone. (Presumably because my iMac is Retina running super high Rez.)

(But I know it's connected because I can move the mouse on my iMac.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Question re: Chrome Remote:

Anyone else getting a black screen on their phone when accessing their Mac? I can see the mouse moving on the Mac so it's definitely "Connected" but all I see is a black screen. I assumed it was my iMac Retina's insane resolution but I'm seeing some other complaints online as well... (but no concrete reasons...)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I adore Accompli so very much. But I swear every time I go back to my springboard it has a badge with a number. (Let's say 5... But it varies.) I open up the app, and MAYBE have one (or none) new emails. I leave the app and the badge is gone. I come back a few min later to the app icon and there's a badge again... Anyone else?

[Edit] my icon had no badge, I just got ONE new email and the badge says 5.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

jot posted:

Yep, I've found it fails to reflect emails I've read in the badge count. Open up the app and they're marked read.

Obviously not the worst bug... Just annoying.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is Accompli-the-old-app still going to exist/update?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Maneki Neko posted:

I don't see it in the app store anymore.

So, to be clear, if I want whatever the latest updates are, I will have to delete this and get the new one.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Devil Tesla posted:

It feels so weird to have outlook on my phones dock, but it also just feels so right.

And there are a few changes, like a new font and some animations feel snappier. The undo action thing looks less alarming. Really happy to see that they're still giving that level of attention to detail.

Also in the settings, you can set what swiping to the left and swiping to the right do. For example I never schedule anything with my emails so now swiping to the right executes "Mive to folder".

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bottom Liner posted:

The IAP tools in Paper is now free with the new update. Pretty awesome.

I *May* have all the IAP already but help me out here. I opened Paper for the first time in a LONG time and it went through some kind of new "Setup and login and welcome" thing I'd never seen before. Ok, no problem...

Now, I'm "in" but I do not see where to purchase the IAP anywhere in the whole app.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah they added the whole social aspect and took out the IAP, all of the tools are just available. The new interface changes kinda suck though. Even though they have the best waterbrush tool, I'd rather stick to Artrage because it just works better and less finnicky.

So do I need to do anything to get them or does the app just "contain" everything now?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So the Hue app updated last night making it instantly crash on startup 100% of the time. (For everyone or at least everyone with certain models of phone (6 and 6+... Maybe everyone.. They rushed to update the app and apologized in the description buuuuuuuuuuut whenever I go to download the update it says "The item you tried to buy is no longer available."

Not sure if that's a Philips issue or an App Store issue...

Fun! :p

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I meant whether the 1.73 "no longer available" issue was an App Store prob or something else... But thanks, good to see in the comments that I'm not alone in being unable to get their fix. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

eriddy posted:

I feel like a loving poor person using switches to turn off my lights now...

You should feel really bad, you're so poor you don't even realize that it's not even about switching on or off the lights, but about switching them on or off in one of 16 million colors.

:)

[Edit]
If you just use the wall switch the lights do in fact come on and off but they are just white. Also some of the lights are in places that don't have switches like I have one of the closet and one behind my TV…

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

randyest posted:

I renovated my home office and put in a 3 x 3 grid of recessed down-pointing Hue bulbs and use f.lux to automatically adjust the color temp throughout the day. It's marvelous.

Also freaks people out when you run Hue Disco and they change to the music, or program hue.pl to make patterns. I'm going to replace every bulb in my house with Hue eventually. So much fun.

Please to inform me how you use f.lux with Hue?

Also, everyone should do this:

It's so baller!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think I read something today about the hue app being broken and that you should just use the web app for the time being

Its been fixed for over 24 hours now...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Taxes posted:

Anyone know of a good timer and stopwatch widget? Good stopwatch widget alone could work too.
Queue 30 replies about the Clock App. ( and they wouldn't be wrong...) but what do you need it to do that the stock clock app doesn't?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Nice to see even after Accompli became Outlook I can get 10 emails overnight and still get no app badges.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Even after you change the badge count from "Focused inbox" to "All"?

Yep.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

flosofl posted:

Apple just yanked it. I managed to pull up the page in iTunes but when I hit "Get" got an error saying "not available for download". When I used your link not 2 minutes after the first time I used it, it now says it's not in the US app store.

This. gently caress. I guess?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Weird I thought it finally updated because it says "open" now instead of "update". The store claims 2.41 but in "about" I have 2.30.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Sphyre posted:

The new VLC can't play AC3 audio so it's more or less worthless anyway.

It never could unless you changed your time zone out of the USA.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It updates now.::

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

noirstronaut posted:

I use upit because I am smart
Upit 4 life. So good.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Endless Mike posted:

Awful app uploads to imgur right in the app.

Well gently caress me!!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pissflaps posted:

I like Scanbot - Pro upgrade IAP includes OCR and it can automatically upload to Dropbox.

Love this one too!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know I'm preaching to the choir (or more aptly, complaining to folks who can't do anything about it...) But something tells me Facebook gives no shits anyway.

What the gently caress is the deal with how badly Facebook/Paper destroys the quality/fidelity of an uploaded video?

I shot a video today of about 5 Blue Herons making the most insanely aggravated noise at a Bald Eagle who had stolen their hard-built nest... and when I upload it via Paper, it might as well be a goddamn abstract painting. And didn't there used to at least be (on the Computer version of Facebook) an HD toggle which made it a touch better? (but still abysmally bad.)
Now I don't even see that.

Seriously.. has Facebook ever broached this topic? I think I've even sent them email complaints. Maybe I should bug them on Twitter publicly. Are they even ON Twitter?! Lol!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You need to turn Upload HD videos on in your iOS settings
Settings -> Facebook -> Settings (under the logo) -> scroll down to Video and toggle Upload HD video.

Good tip! I did not know that. However I use Paper and do t have FB installed so those settings are not there.

I installed FB and toggled that HD setting on. Do we know if that "affects" Paper, too?

I assume if it turns out it does, I have to leave FB installed.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

flosofl posted:

Can we get back to important things? Like weather apps with the best micro-forecasts?

If you think about it, Overcast could do weather, too, and no one would bat an eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oh boo-loving-hoo. Salty-rear end nerds.