Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Google released their Android News & Weather app today.

If you frequent Google News, it'd be handy instead of going back to the browser.

The weather is pretty basic and is more of a bonus add-on than a feature. Pulls from weather.com, high/low temp, graphs for temp change through the day and for precip chance during the day. No widget though which is really disappointing but I'm sure it'll get one eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The usual argument for Apple Maps v. anything else is that YMMV.

It's generally accepted that Google Maps' POI is much more accurate but Apple Maps will still take you to the correct location if you have an address.

Some people like Waze for its user-reported events. Some of these are imported into GMaps (since Google bought Waze).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

StorrowS posted:

The only way i found is to select them all and then click delete, which is the same as the recommended instructions:
https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1304803?hl=en-GB

Note that this was really tedious as I could only select the photos that were cached on the current page. So I had to keep scrolling through thousands of photos (I couldn't just use the window elevator to go from the top to the bottom).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

How are you guys letting Google photos upload? I have to keep waking up the screen for it to continue uploading, which is a bit of a hassle. Or does it do that overnight when plugged in?

It looks like it'll upload automatically when plugged in.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Shifting away from poop and bad websites, the app store is featuring the Netflix app with "Subscribe now on your iPhone" featured. Is this some kind of change in Apple's policy or has Netflix just bit the bullet and will give Apple a cut of subs made via the app?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just a notice that Scanner Pro is only $.99 right now. It's easily the best scanning app I've ever used. It'll do paperwork and pictures and will upload them to just about every cloud service imaginable.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

My problem with Google Photos is I can't easily share it with my wife, for example. To share with her I would have to make a public shared album in Google Photos and add all photos to it, which is stupid.

Are you sure about that? Don't the new Shared Album features only work if you've got the link to access it?

quote:

Also if new images are added you have to manually add them to the shared album. Why can't I just share everything with one specific person?

I feel like I'm overthinking this way too much.

This is where you are overthinking it. I've never heard of a service that essentially merges multiple user's camera rolls automatically. The only work around I could think of is:

tuyop posted:

If you specifically want to have all the photos on a computer as well, Dropbox is the way to go. Just open a familyphotos@gmail Dropbox account, download the app, log everyone into that account, turn on photo upload on every device, and sync it to your computer. Though you might have to cull a lot of lovely photos and you run the risk of seeing your uncle's mangina, I guess.

Everyone you want access to this Mega Shared Camera Roll gets the new dropbox account info and you all turn on photo sync.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I also have the Shows app and see the same thing. I think it's an issue from their source as a number of shows are seeing weird updates or lack of updates.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Tenterhooks posted:

I really like AnyList for grocery shopping. It'll automatically group things by category and lets you set favourites so you don't need to type out anything you buy regularly. There's a whole web / meal planning premium component too but I've never had reason to try it.

Strongly seconded.

Also, it offers list sharing that syncs instantaneously. Like, amazingly instantaneous.

Oh and you can resort the grocery categories so that they match your own local grocery store and your normal path through it. It's one of those things that seems so small but now it's the (second, instant syncing is seriously phenomenal) best part of the app.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else have trouble getting iMessage apps to work? The Yelp and OpenTable apps just sit there with their logos for me and never go anywhere (iPhone 6).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have trouble getting new episodes to download from the Apple Podcast app? They just seem to get stuck in Preparing to Download.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The Apple Podcast app was more than capable for what I needed it to do. At times it could be glitchy but it worked most of the time.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm signed into my Google account with the default mail app but I don't use it. I just have everything setup so that if I must use the Mail.app, I can send a quick email. Otherwise, I've hidden the Mail.app and turned off all notifications for it.

I use the GMail app for push notifications and every day email usage.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

axolotl farmer posted:

I have an old iPhone 4S. It works fine with one exception: the Podcasts app crashes.

For some reason, the Podcasts app started crashing more or less randomly when clicking through stuff. Tried connecting to iTunes and just removing all subscriptions, deleting all episodes and adding them back later. Now, the app crashes within a few seconds of starting up, without any interaction. The internal database must be corrupted or something.

Is there anything I can do to fix it? Already switched to Overcast, but regular Apple Podcasts app was really all I needed.

I've been noticing a lot of jankiness with the Apple Podcasts app. It stinks because I also just needed a no frills podcast app.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just FYI but LastPass announced you can now access your password vault on your device for free via the LastPass app. It was previously restricted to the subscription tier.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

baram. posted:

don't use lastpass

endlessmonotony posted:

For laughing at. Little else. Might as well use a post-it note.

[citation needed]

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

BoyBlunder posted:

I have been using this too, and it's awesome. I actually can't believe it's free.

I use it for Gmail and Office 365. Highly recommended.

I was a bit bummed to find out the iOS Gmail & Inbox apps both suck terribly (at least with notifications/badges), so I've been jumping between mail apps for a while and have settled on this one.

I tried Email but it made me realize how much I enjoy GMail natively sorting my emails into Primary, Social, Promotions, Updates, and Forums.

And while I didn't like the changes they made to GMail, I am slowly getting used to it.

Look at that, a goon getting used to change.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I was just recommended PushBullet in the iPhone thread and I'll repeat here what I said there:

Thwomp posted:

This would be cool but it looks like push notifications are broken and have been since the last update in February or so. And it just seems buggy/full of little QoL issues.

I may keep it around because it legitimately does make the process somewhat easier but I may still drop it.

xzzy - I was looking for something in the exact same use case. Pushbullet works but just know that notifications are broken.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 8, 2016

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My only knock on Dark Sky is anything beyond 24-48 hours is just worthless forecasting.

Wunderground's 5 days forecasts tend to be much more accurate.

But I've seen Dark Sky predict rain coming to the minute so I keep it around.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Also, you can block ads with Safari.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like it's because those apps have been pulled from the app store, completely.

It happens for a number of reasons. I'm sure we'll be hearing more about it after iOS 11 drops and no one will be able to re-download their 32-bit apps to their new iPhones in the fall.

Now, if you had a local (encrypted?) backup in iTunes, it could've restored your missing apps from the local copies in iTunes. But iCloud just keeps a list of all your installed apps and when you restore, asks the App Store to re-download them. If the App Store doesn't have them anymore, you're out of luck.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Try again in a bit?

I was having issues with Shared Albums on Google Photos yesterday and they just announced more sharing features today so there may be some upgrades/wonkyness going on lately.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

cbirdsong posted:

How does Instagram not even have a crappy iPad app yet?!

No one remembers how long it took Facebook to put out an iPad app (a year and a half after the iPad was released. 6 months after the iPad 2 was released). And even then, it was still only barely optimized for the iPad screen.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was a staunch stock Podcast app user because I wasn't asking much from it.

Now I can't tell how many episodes of a show I have downloaded and the Now Playing playing logic is mystifying (why won't it just play the next episode listed in Now Playing instead of stopping when I've listed to the last episode in that particular show?).

Having a Podcast playlist helps restore previous functionality (include all unplayed podcast episodes from all podcasts, play oldest to Newest, don't group by podcast) but still.

Also, I'm still unsure about how the stock Podcast app automatically goes back 5 seconds after you stopped listening for a while. I'm always a little taken aback when I hear something I remember I just heard.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Gonna poke the hornets' nest:

Is there a weather app that has push notifications for precipitation like Dark Sky but isn't Dark Sky?

I have and really enjoy Hello Weather but it doesn't (yet, it just updated and added a bunch of good stuff to their subscription tier) have push alerts.

Carrot Weather appears to have a rain/snow alert but only if you have a Mac with the app installed (or an Apple Watch, how does that work)?

Maybe I'll just stick with both Dark Sky and Hello Weather for now but I'd love just one app that does what each does.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Seconding AnyList.

Absolutely worth it, even the small yearly sub. It’s amazing to have my grocery list in my Watch.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

beefnoodle posted:

I'm used to a grocery list in OneNote, where we have everything possible in the lists, and toggle checkboxes to mark needed/bought. Can AnyList do this, or does it just want you to add only the things you need each time you're going to shop?

I guess I'm unclear as to how you setup your grocery list.

So you have an entire list of everything you could possibly buy at the store, and just check off un-needed items? Do you then mass uncheck everything before each shopping trip and go through it all again?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Here's the apparent differences:

quote:

However, the several of the new features in Paprika 3 will not show up on the older versions:

Bold and italic recipe formatting.
Recipe links.
Embedded photos in recipe directions.
Custom meal types will show as the Snack type on older versions.
Menus only have one day on older versions.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
AnyList just updated with support for SiriKit which is really cool. It’s, by far, one of my most used apps.

(They previously had a Siri voice command workaround but this is much simpler)

“Hey Siri, using AnyList, add Milk to Grocery List.”

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of, I've seen several apps recently roll out support for iOS 11's Smart Inverted Colors mode. I wish Apple would just create a Dark/Night mode already.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I see the new 1Blocker hides all Facebook ad posts where the last on didn’t (or got worse at blocking them as time went on. I can’t remember exactly.)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I like Hello Weather. Pulls current conditions and upcoming rain from Dark Sky and uses Weather Underground’s data for forecasts.

Presents everything simply. It also offers a lot of customization if you subscribe.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Seconded.

It's outstanding and, if you have an Apple Watch, then ponying up for the AnyList Complete lets you get all your lists on your wrist (among a wealth of other really handy features).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I’ve liked Hello Weather.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
You can disable it completely when paired to headphones but not when there’s nothing connected to the phone and you’re using Hey Siri.

If you manually activate Siri (hold home button or the right side button on and X/XS), you can get it disabled completely.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

terre packet posted:

I've been using Wunderlist as a cross-platform grocery list app between myself and my SO, who's an Android user. She's probably going to switch to iOS with her next phone, and I'd like to replace Wunderlist with an iOS / Mac-centric app since some of Wunderlist's interface stuff is really bad, especially on the desktop side (it takes like three separate clicks to delete each individual item, with no key command at all 😑). Is there a recommended iOS / Mac grocery list-type app that is goon-approved?

AnyList is also a great option.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

The whole point is I wanna send it from Mac to iPhone, so this doesn’t work.

Pushbullet might work but it was last updated 2 years ago so it seems like it’s dead.

I still use Pushbullet between my work PC and my iPhone.

The only wonky thing with it is the notification dismisses itself very quickly.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

I love that every app has weekly updates now that don’t state what changed in the changelogs. Awesome design.:thumbsup:

They've probably stopped caring since "Install app updates automatically" became a thing.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Soon iOS 14, are 3rd party devs able to create their own “new” widgets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I find Dark Sky still useful for the push notifications of participation.