Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Pokeyman is actually working on it believe it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Feenix posted:

Do we know what its source is?

Forecast.io. I have to say it's basically what I want out of a weather widget, so I'm tempted. I wish I could code in objective-c because that's probably so easy to do and yet no one had a good widget. If he could just get the highs and lows on one line it would be killer.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Most of the widgets are not thinking that vertical spacing is the most important thing in the notification center. If I made a weather widget it would look something like this:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If there isn't a smart dev would jump on that because I bet it would be super popular.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

Can someone just make this poo poo ffs

I'm tempted to start watching swift tutorials and making the hackiest thing ever.

But if I did I'm greedy and would make the bg #ff00ff until you paid.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

minor stuff like cop alert

To me this is the killer feature. I won't use anything but Waze because I can feel pretty safe about speed traps.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I can't believe facebook wasn't one of the first apps out supporting the 6/6+. I'm just assuming it will be part of their update next Tuesday.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Good news to whoever liked the simple weather widget I designed: I have sold the rights to an app developer and am working with him to figure out what can be added to make it the best weather widget on iOS.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Feenix posted:

The Widget layout is an important step. Sourcing data is the second. I'm totally ignorant of how this stuff works but can you license/use WeatherUnderground's source?

Unfortunately that's out of my hands.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Awesome stuff! The only thing I'd suggest from your mockup earlier would be to have the sun in yellow, rain in blue, etc. I always find the colour placement to be just as important for at-a-glance weather checks as the shapes themselves.

I'm going to be suggesting the option to have colored / white (well that just sounds awful after typing it) icons in the widget settings.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I do have some good news regarding that: he told me he's using forecast.io for as long as it's affordable.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it blows my mind that I can't type "location services" in spotlight and get to those settings.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They can make the app crispier but they can't make the weather widget perfect? :argh:

I give them credit for at least fixing the padding so the background is now 100% width. On the flip side, gently caress that background.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Monster!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Still looks like poo poo, will still declare myself King of weather widget design.

Actually emailed the guy that was supposed to launch mine today, no response yet :(

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yes $5 is such a big gamble better ponder this one.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

radge posted:

This Workflow app seems nice. A bit like a supercharged native IFTTT. 40% off launch special too.

I got a demo of this from the kid who created it and I was pretty impressed with the huge amount of services you could chain.

Then he told me he was going to charge $5 or $7 for it and I just said "ohhhh alright".

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Handoff always doesn't get you third party notifications on your desktop.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm not using it, but I thought that was one of the things it did that handoff doesn't.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Did the latest Facebook update kill the "Most Recent" feed entirely?

I was using the jailbreak hack that basically locked it on most recent all the time so you wouldn't have to keep switching it, but now I can't find it at all.

Holy poo poo is the app unusable without it.

Most Recent is now a list item under the "More" tab. "RecentFacebook" is the jailbreak tweak that is a life saver.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Did you try typing "stopwatch widget" in the AppStore and just trying out 2-3 of the top results? Because pretty sure you'll be set.

Kids these days. I used to walk to school in 12 inches of snow, uphill...

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah Box is just as established as Dropbox.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Guys what if I told you I'm in the middle of designing (NOT developing) a new weather widget? How many pages can we get out of that?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

maduin posted:

What a coincidence, man. I'm currently the director of a couple of fantastic apps right now. I have no Photoshop skills or the ability to code but I've got GREAT ideas, I just need a few people to put them together.

If we can just get a 'computer guy' we have a startup.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's the same as it's been for 3-4 years, ymmv with navigation apps. If you're in a big city you're probably well off with any.

If you have lag issues with the position of your car there's some software / hardware issue at play.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Fresh Air has an icon design that's like 85% similar to a weather icon design I made but never released publicly and it still spooks me out a little.

But now if I use that icon it would look like I stole their idea.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

:siren: Weather widget news :siren:

The notification center weather widget that I designed, posted in this thread, then sold has finally gone live (as a part of a full app) on the app store:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/atmos/id949017360

Disclaimer: I had nothing to do with the rest of this app and receive no royalties.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

All of them.

The dev gave me a free copy of the app, I like what he did with the widget, made all the options customizable:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I sold it for a flat fee because I spent very little time on it and think I won't get as much of a return with a low royalty percent.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Google maps has reports on speed traps?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

App chat: I just got myself a new job and I'm now managing a ton of projects and I'm looking for a better way to keep track of what the gently caress I did on a day to day basis. In my mind, I'm basically looking for a glorified to-do list where I can type out what I do for the day as it comes up (received plans, reviewed notes, approved invoices, etc) with the option to tag/categorize each entry so at the end of the day or week or whenever I can see both what went down during a particular day or view all the items for a specific project. Right now I'm just using tasks/reminders but poo poo's just going to get really cluttered really quick.

Or if someone that handles multiple projects at the same times cares to chime in on how they keep track of everything, that'd be great.

Are you sure the scope of what you're doing is small enough for a simple to do app? Wondering if you should try a real project management app like asana.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don't even have it in the feeds list, looks like they killed it. Which is very upsetting.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I find paper cumbersome to use as just an alternate feed. It's strength is in stories / articles.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

And now most recent is back?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I met the kid who made workflow when he was still polishing it before launch and he told me the price and I immediately thought, "o wow no one is going to buy that" and it became a tech blog darling.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

maduin posted:

People are incapable of recognizing use cases which exist beyond their own. They're also incapable of recognizing that their spergy workflows using 3rd party apps are and never will be used by normal people who just want to check and respond to the 5 emails they get a day and play Candy Crush.

To be fair I think some of the bigger criticisms of apple lately is they've lost that craft of dumbing things down and making things simple, as the need for more and more features grows.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Unrelated, but I got my mom an Ipad Air 2 for Christmas last year and it is her first internet connected device ever. The other day she asked me if she could "ask Siri too many things" and I got a good laugh out of it. She's also 100% dependent on using siri to do anything outside of playing Candy Crush and Words with Friends. She doesn't realize Safari = Internet.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'll ditch waze once other apps show speed traps.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm like an old man when it comes to podcasts apps and can't figure out how to get one that just downloads episodes when I tell it to and does nothing automatically.

Like I'm pretty sure that's doable in Overcast but I just turn into an idiot when trying to use it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ahh I don't think I realized that was a per podcast setting and like 2 out of 10 still had it on. I think I'm good now, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I might be wrong, but I think the Waze team said they currently have no plans to support Carplay.

It's not a matter of just showing the phone app on the screen, carplay requires a new interface be built.