Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

xzzy posted:

Yeah, why would an app designed to be used while driving ever want to support a feature designed to be used in a car. That's just silly talk!

Probably because the company that owns that app has a competing platform ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

dik-dik posted:

Um or they don't like a being bombarded with ads while driving? Who thinks it's a smart idea to have ads pop up mid-navigation???

Ads only come up when you're stopped and there's no necessary voice prompt. It's also just like a dumb banner ad. Not sure I've ever seen more than two ads on a trip either.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Workflow is as close as it gets to tasker but is limited to iOS's boundaries.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

MyFitnessPal works very well.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sometimes Waze has made me do a lot of work to shave off like a minute, so I get nervous about what it has planned.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

While we're talking about Waze, did they announce anything about the future of it since it was bought by Google?

Lately it seems they have been focusing on Waze Pool and their Waze beacons.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Outlook is good on iOS because MS bought an app and rebranded it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Im a little confused about the 5pm example, what is the different in those two deliveries?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

But lol if you're using the official Twitter app. That's just your fault.

I know that was the thing to say in like 2008 but it's really fine now.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

As is typical, when Siri came out it was pretty amazing, and then everyone else came out with their own that have grown to be much better and Siri seems antiquated.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Siri rules for reminders and asking her if a store is still open. Sometimes I do a Hey Siri while I'm getting ready in the morning to get the weather.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You can just share a google calendar with your wife and both of you can add it to your iOS calendar app.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have some cheapo chinese one and yeah you have to open the app either before or after you step on the scale. It's certainly still easier than manually entering.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

EDIT: Figured out it.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 16, 2017

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

I believe that's been removed for a long time now.

Actually, not true.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

cbirdsong posted:

How does Instagram not even have a crappy iPad app yet?!

This still blows my mind.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Billzasilver posted:

:tipshat: thank you

Are music app and iTunes good now too?

What are you looking for out of a music app? I'm a spotify fanatic myself because they have better curation and discoverability.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

withak posted:

If you are on AT&T they have their own app called Call Protect that blocks spam calls.

Which is a white labeled Hiya.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is it a new Overcast feature that it no longer remembers what podcast I was listening to? Since the app update / iOS12 update when I get in my car it just starts playing the wrong podcast, almost every time.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I realize this isn’t an ios question but I’m going to ask anyway:

So I work for a company that doesn’t allow non company phones to sync with their exchange servers, and I don’t have a company phone (and don’t want one) so it’s really annoying to need to rely on my laptop to see cal events. Is there anyway to automatically duplicate calendar events with a new calendar that syncs to my phone? A one time sync seems easy but I’m not sure how to do something that stays up to date.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

Does your company use office 365 and if so do you have access to Flow?

It looks like they were smart enough to not authorize our mailboxes for outlook flow connections.

I'm not concerned about policy at the moment, just want to know what's possible. My desktop OSX calendar app currently can load it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

And just knowing you won’t see every tweet.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah we’re not even at base models having 7 inch+ screens yet so car play hasn’t even come close to hitting its potential.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

For the developers the old model was absolutely horrendous in terms of getting paid for your time and energy. God forbid you charge $3 for the app you worked on full time for a year or two.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I've been getting pretty annoyed since 13 because it sure seems like 8 out of 10 times when I get in my car Overcast doesn't start autoplaying. I don't even know if that's related but it's annoying nonetheless.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm not using Car Play it's going through a Ford Sync system so can't help you out there.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

With bigger and bigger phones important things are moving south for ergonomics.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I use the widget from Atmos:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/atmos-weather-for-your-iphone-and-watch/id949017360

You can tap it to toggle between week view and hour view.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Jesus christ.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

His else is this kid going to deal with skiing all day?!?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Am I misunderstanding the situation? He's going on a ski trip every week. Is he going with other kids his age?

The skiing should tire him out to the point where he just sleeps on the bus. If not, maybe he could I don't know, talk with the others kids and maybe socialize?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’ve been using TickTick.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

xzzy posted:

Mobile app developers are hilariously greedy with their subscriptions. That poo poo should be like $1 a month tops.

I can't imagine any app that isn't a game, doesn't have ads, or doesn't sell it's data is doing well financially, the app world just has an incredibly crazy sewed view on what software is worth. You're basically killing yourself financially to hope to god some tech giant buys you up at a ridiculous price.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Weedle posted:

The Cave games were like $14

This man is entitled to get what he wants for free!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Funny enough what I dislike about OneNote the most is how it handles the non-drawing stuff.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My Kia ONLY has remote start through the app and nothing is more frustrating than being able to see your car and wait several minutes for all the communications to happen and be confirmed.

God forbid you left your doors unlocked, you're not getting that car warm any time soon.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm all for split test and controlled incremental testing but yeah that big blue F button navbar is reeeeally out there and weird to push your auxiliary dumping ground menu as the main destination in the app.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Need to know more about the data.

Who is inputting and managing it?
Are the sites pretty set or do they change?
Is there any kind of normalcy or stuff you can assume with person + location?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I feel like once you get a feel for where things are in spotify it's easy to ignore the stuff you're not interested in. I personally think dealing with that is worth it for the benefits.

Then again I'm a sucker that is paying for spotify premium when since March I have mainly just been using Overcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Somewhat depends on your needs. I was really into TickTick before moving over to all MS for better work syncing.