Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

HERE supremacy. At least , until Uber buys it and makes it poo poo.

There are other buyers lined up too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Michael Scott posted:

How is HERE monetized currently? Is Uber planning to license it out and charge for it? The business potential right now is confusing to me.

The map data from HERE is sold to everyone under the sun; auto manufacturers, shipping companies, bing, Facebook, etc. Etc. Etc.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Butt Savage posted:

Speaking of which, brand new weather app Fresh Air is out! Looks pretty. Don't know if weather enthusiasts will approve though.

I thought Fresh Air was a podcast.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
:siren:A New Challenger Appears!:siren:
(App Store Link)

The widgets leave something to be desired (too big for my taste), but it's pretty nice on the whole. Forecast.io dataset.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kaizoku posted:

Oh dear god how terrible does it look if you hit the ’nerd out’ button?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I have a bunch of audio stuff (~8 gigs) that I don't want in my iTunes library because I don't want it coming up on Shuffle. I'd like to play this on my iPhone however.

Ideally, it'd be able to pull the content down from web storage (super ideally: Microsoft OneDrive just because I have factions of storage there and wouldn't need to clean out some room on my Dropbox), but it needs to be able to handle offline playback to some extent - even if it's just pre downloading a few whole individual files.

Is there a podcast app I can repurpose for this? Something else?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Question Mark Mound posted:

iTunes has a "Skip when shuffling option" under Right Click -> Get Info

Although if you want to use web storage rather than local iPhone storage, you could use a file browser app with OneDrive support (e.g. Documents by Readdle) as almost all of these will have a built-in media player. I don't believe Documents supports streaming from Dropbox (don't use OneDrive so haven't ever tested that) but you can save whichever files for offline use within the app.

I also don't want them cluttering up my library in general; there's more there than I want.

That said, apparently I can point Downcast at pretty much any of the major storage apps - or at least, it works with dropbox, google and onedrive, since those are the ones I have apps for - and just snag any file and add it to that.

And since I've moved all of my podcast listening to Overcast, it works perfectly.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
We haven't had a circle jerk of content blocker recommendations in this thread yet.

I've been using Peace because I like Overcast a lot. Any compelling reasons to look at the others?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Death to bad ads.

Good ads are unfortunate, but acceptable casualties.

I've never run an ad blocker on my desktop, but ads on desktop to the scourge of what ads and scripts and trackers are doing to mobile is like scaling up from a benign mole that you ask your dermatologist to look at to end-stage pancreatic cancer.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The Devil Tesla posted:

The Best Show with Tom Sharpling.

This is a good suggestion.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

maduin posted:

Not to say that speed isn't important, but I think there are other factors that would be more valuable than fractions of a second. People should be looking at the block lists that these things are pulling from -- are they keeping their own? Using EasyList? Pulling from a few different block lists? And looking at the people/companies behind them.

1Blocker also seems to be among the most configurable, so there's that as well.

All that said, I got Peace during the small window when it was up and I'm just gonna keep using it until the dust settles some more.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

oversteer posted:

Any recommendations on document 'scanning' apps that will let me photograph multiple page documents, convert to PDF and upload directly to Dropbox?

I use Scanbot for all my expense receipts in exactly this manner. Works great.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
My password manager has saved me 138 hours of rain.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Etrips posted:

Is there an app that can change the default app to open when you click on something? For instance, when I click an address, I want Waze to open up instead of Maps.

Not without a jailbreak.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

noirstronaut posted:

tweetbot has never been worth anything

You are very committed to making GBS threads all over a Twitter client that I paid less for than I spent on a beer last night.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

tofes posted:

1Password is great, why would anyone use another password management service?

Have you heard about this app called Overcast?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Endless Mike posted:

Now we can move onto more interesting topics.

Weather apps?!?!?!?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
For a more useful post:

File under Cool Niche Apps that I wish I'd known about for a very long time: http://mobileday.com

Basically, it pulls conference call details out of your calendar (call-in numbers, passcodes, etc.), and does all the dumb button pushing and menu navigation for you so you just hit a button and get dumped straight into your conference call. The business model charges you if you use it a bunch, but for just a few a month, it's free.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Would also be nice if they let you set a separate and distinct username/password for downloading the podcast from the one you use to manage your account.

Somebody steals it? Oh no somebody else is listening to my podcast episodes besides me and they have no access to any of my information. How horrible.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Question Mark Mound posted:

One specific podcast I listen to, The Brendon Burns Show, for the last two episodes has been unable to play after downloading. It just jumps straight back to the "all episodes" screen. Other podcasts seem to work fine, and streaming the broken episodes through the web player seem to work, but I just can't seem to get it going through the downloaded file on the app. I've tried deleting the episodes, unsubscribing and resubscribing from the podcast, rebooting. Etc.

Anyone else had this?

Do the episodes work in a different podcast app?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Not sure if this is a Tweetbot question or whatever but here goes. I follow some sports teams just to read their updates now and then but on game days they turn into a play by play minute by minute spam machine. Is it possible to set up some kind of filter to do something like "if account tweets more than x times in last y minutes, then temporarily mute account"?

No but when you see it starting you can long-press the accounts avatar and mute them for whatever length of time going forward. (You can also do this with a hashtag if they consistently use one.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

tuyop posted:

I've got like five apps that refuse to update on my iPad. Any solutions? I guess I could just backup/restore.

Restart the device, and/or delete the app/reinstall them.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Apple Maps transit data is literally built on Hopstop.

So if you used to use that, go nuts.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
For my phone it has always been A B C by Hot Chip.

Also, auto play when Bluetooth connects is supposed to be a thing, but there are some vehicles it doesn't work with. Mostly, it's cars where you have to push a button on the car to switch to the BT sound source, every single time you start the car.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Does an incredibly simple iOS app for the following exist:

I want to make a (fairly long) list of things; however it is a single column list - the entries do not require any additional data.

I want to alphabetize that list.

I want to add things to the list sometimes and then alphabetize the list with the new entry.

What is the lightest possible solution to this problem? Search results are impossibly overwhelmed by to-do and grocery apps.

And to get ahead of it, answer I don’t want; “Just use Google Sheets” or some other spreadsheet.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

priznat posted:

Yeah Spark was one but ai think their privacy is questionable.

Ironic I had been looking at Hey but then the whole basecamp thing.

I made the jump to Hey about a year ago and was happy with it until the whole basecamp thing. Now I've got a month left that was already paid for to find my exit strategy. Gonna take a long look at Big Mail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

~Coxy posted:

Weird question time; is there a good camera app that has an optional shutter sound, preferably only when using a bluetooth remote to shoot?

The default camera app does not play a shutter sound if the phone is on silent.

But also, this question is weird/creep adjacent without more context.