Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Still don't see myMail on the App List. They are the best and most responsive team making a mail App as far as I am concerned. Today they optimized for iOS8 and also added Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync Support, for those who care about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Legs Benedict posted:

This seems nice but I am naturally suspicious of how long it will last. Free app, free email addresses..

Free email addresses actually came pretty late (many months) after it was released. I don't even use that feature.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Edit- finally got Acompli it working. Seems decent but nothing amazing. Well Exchange is still hosed up a bit. Not a great start, but hopefully the features make up for it.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 7, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I'm back to just using Sunrise for Calendar and CloudMagic w/Evernote for mail, don't mess with what is already great.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

In the end, can't you just use an excel spreadsheet to monitor your health? I use it for my lifts, weight, BP and other health factors and easily link it to various forms of ourput of my own design. For most people, it's a way to get use of Excel that they might very well rarely ever use otherwise.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

xzzy posted:

If you enjoy Excel, sure, use it. But it's perfectly reasonable that our pocket computers be able to log data in a sensible manner.

Is Excel not considered sensible? I haven't looked but it wouldn't surprise me at all if there weren't premade Spreadsheets with macros to track health. All you'd have to do is enter the data.

Edit- There are a lot. Here is a good one.. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/blood-sugar-chart-TC006197787.aspx?redir=0

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 27, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I'm not going to lie, the updates from Camera+ are actually making me not want to use them as well. Can you idiots just tell me what you updated in 20 words or less? Is it so hard? Sometimes it's not even in the first or second paragraph.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

dexter6 posted:

How cool - I pointed my camera at the computer screen and it looks like one just worked.

MAGIC

Kind of scary in a way

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Swiftkey is getting on my nerves. It's hard to even install their updates now and each update either brings new problems or fails to address major ones.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

wooger posted:

These flaws are all Apple's bugs in iOS8, nothing the 3rd party keyboard suppliers can do.

Sorry don't buy it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I kind of wish "Weather Widget" was word filtered into "donkey butthole monkey fuckers, rear end poo poo piss" or something.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

It also adds Mac support, Facebook sign in, and Universal Copy/Paste.

Yea I was going to say it seems pointless.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Maybe now that Microsoft is in firm control, the "MAJOR UPDATES :siren:" will be more than "new color scheme added to Calendar and also your mail updates correctly more often now."

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'd settle for working push notifications because that has never worked for me in Accompli. I already gave up anyways, I'm looking at going back to Mailbox or something.

Me either, ever. I tried everything to get it to work as well.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

trilljester posted:

Using Outlook all day and I have yet to miss a push notification of new email. I have an Exchange account and a Google Apps for Business account setup on it. It's really nice so far.

This could replace Mail.app, probably going to use it a few more days to see if any bugs pop up.

The question is, when will they put it on a subscription basis? A month?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

More 3D Touch apps:

Evernote
Opentable
Citymapper

I know of at least 30 more, but I doubt many people use them.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 29, 2015

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

It seems like every day there is another post telling people to use one ad blocker or the other and so far they all seem just OK or fine.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

This is the only choice for Twitter that is even remotely decently good. There will be no outrage because there are no alternatives. That is the reason the company can act like lovely turds.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 1, 2015

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Legs Benedict posted:

Choice for Twitter on iPad*

Twitteriffic is nice on iPhone. The official Twitter app is also not terrible. iPad was a barren wasteland of bad garbage until now.

Let's be honest, on iPhone even Tweetbot 3 was way better than either of those things you listed.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Since I installed Purify, and for the first time I can even remember in two years, I am getting popups when (for example) clicking trusted links from Google searches. Aside from getting a 6S, nothing has changed. I don't browse unsafe sites and I don't install goofy apps. I don't even have any games installed yet. Is anyone else actually seeing more obnoxious popups, but fewer in page advertisements, with content blockers?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Unless posted:

iOS 9 has been out for a minute. What's the hot email client of right now worth trying? Needs: multiple inbox support, GMail, Evernote integration. I'm waiting for Airmail to drop on iOS. Anything worth checking out beforehand?

Evernote integration is going to cause you to be on one of those wonky e-mail clients. I use Outlook (Accompli) and it's pretty good. I wish I preferred the mail client because I actually like Peek and Pop.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Unless posted:

I can always forward to my evernote email address to organize, so it's the not the biggest of deals, I'm just looking for a fluid experience between reviewing mail and organizing myself.

I think it's good to just get on board with Outlook, as they have dramatically improved since getting bought out. They immediately fixed notifications which were a lingering problem and in the last few months added updates for multi-tasking, alternative web browsers, spotlight search capabilities, Apple Watch support (if that's your thing), file grabbing (photos etc.) from other apps and on. I can see the next update being 3d touch, so it's on a clear upward swing.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Company identity and trust are pretty much pivotal factors when dealing with things like cloud e-mail, or password protections.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Tweetbot updated to have 3D touch home screen actions, peek and pop within the app for all tweets and some language corrections.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I'm kind of annoyed at Outlook because in the last few months I am not getting the proper popup announcements for "targeted emails" that I once got. Now I sometimes get a popup, other times a sound, and other times nothing. It appears to be a known issue and since it is basically the primary reason I use the app, I am wondering if they are just spending all of their time gearing up for the inevitable "365 account required" we are all expecting rather than doing the kind of upgrades and spot fixing we're all accustomed too.

I really wish they'd make a few minor improvements to Mail like they did Notes so I can do to Outlook what I did with Evernote and dump it (Premium for that matter).

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 28, 2015

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

What does Outlook do that the default mail app doesn't? I haven't felt like I've been missing out on anything.

The primary reason I use it is because it splits mail between 'directed' and 'not spam, but probably not priority.' It also has a slightly different system for uploading and accessing cloud files. Honestly, most else seems relatively trivial. There are minor differences in things like sliding to delete/archive etc.

There are tabs at the bottom with, for example, contacts. But it's almost easier to just type in "Br" to see all of your Britney and Brookes in your contact list. The files tab is most useful, but again it's just a preference issue rather than something most users will utilize quite often. In terms of the calendar, I use something else anyway.

Some downsides compared to Mail includes missing Force Touch, lack of deep search integration and the font is not as good as iOS native apps. Also, sometimes finding an e-mail means clicking between tabs, so you often save time looking for priority e-mails but then have to switch back and forth. The solution is of course turning off this feature, but then that's a major selling point of the app.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 28, 2015

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I use Hi-Def Radar, it owns.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Seriously, try Hi-Def Radar. Really awesome map integration and drop down weather (drop a pin and pull up weather anywhere). Highly customizable with NOAA Base Radar and/or Cloud Cover (satellite IR) with storm tracking. Comes with the option to buy and incorporate "fisherman's tools" (best time to fish) as well as Aviation Layers (Ice Air, Turb Air and others). Also neatly incorporates sharing tools, screenshotting, bookmarking of locations and on.

Currently on sale: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/noaa-hi-def-radar-pro-storm/id458225159?mt=8

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 28, 2015

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Edit, do I really care how people text? Not really

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 3, 2015

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Crazy talk but I went back to the stock Mail app and I am happier than when I used Outlook.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Spark looks like the Mail app + a bunch of gimmicks. That's pretty much what I think of most e-mail apps for what it's worth.

Edit: Why does every new mail app have to embellish everything, talking about "being the future of e-mail." E-mail is pretty much the same damned thing it's been for a long time. The major feature differences are how to attach files and how to add events to calendars- well, and the theme (colors and font I guess). Sorting is usually not entirely perfect or bad and gestures and cross device integration is pretty much standard across the major apps. The video showed things like Apple Watch integration that is identical to what you can do with the standard Mail application, for example.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 15, 2015

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

So only tangentially an iOS issue, but the strong rumors are that Apple is making a bid to purchase Netflix. This purchase would be enormous and likely change the way digital content is distributed across Apple platforms.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

bobfather posted:

That would rule pretty hard. I can see Netflix holding out for a ton of money though.

Well, there are basically multiple overlapping rumors. Apple wants in on digital media and content big time, and the big, firm rumor is a bid on Netflix. Alternatively, there are feelers out there for purchasing Time Warner. Can you imagine an Apple/Time Warner corporation?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I always found the argument that Apple has 'lost it's way' with regard to ease of use to be a bit suspect, because they rarely state the obvious fact: technology has become necessarily more complex with vastly more features over time. There is a demand for simplicity and there is also a demand for features. This is a difficult channel to navigate, and often I will hear people say "there are now submenus in the Settings on an iPhone!" as if there is any way to avoid such a thing. The author whines about cloud integration, despite it working very well for most people on most devices, and states it adds unnecessary complexity to the experience of working with Apple devices and software. This kind of argument is absurd because if Apple didn't offer this service, they would be lampooned.

The author and others bring up the positive features of certain non-Apple applications/software as evidence that Apple is bad, without discussing why those programs aren't ideal even versus non-Apple applications. For example, many people aren't ready to trust Outlook to sort their e-mails by importance and still check all tabs of their email multiple times daily. So why is this such an amazing feature? Just for existing? I still check my spam folder daily, and spam filtering is in fact a form of filtering he describes. To me, I am even less trusting of an application or software to determine if my emails are priorities or not. If in fact users are checking all tabs regularly throughout the day, then all these tabs and filtering do is add unnecessary layers and complexity to the experience of e-mail. This same argument can be applied to several other things he and others bring up.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Paprika sounds great, but the application doesn't accurately predict weather in my area so the real question is what application should I use for weather. Don't say Dark Cloud because you can't store recipes in it.