Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Highly Unnecessary posted:

I plan on switching to an android phone soon and still have $80 of credit on my itunes account, is there any way to turn this into real money? I was thinking maybe through a gambling app but I don't have any experience with them.

Otherwise, how would you guys recommend spending it?

Can't you gift apps? Sell your credit bit by bit, with enough of a discount to make it worth the time of both parties.

:shrug:

Bummey fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

obi_ant posted:

What's a good game that's quick to play like in 1-5 minute sessions (typically these are timers)? I've played almost all of the iterations of Tiny Tower, Clash of Clans, Disco Zoo etc.

Helsing's Fire, best game on the iphone.

http://appshopper.com/games/helsings-fire
http://appshopper.com/games/helsings-fire-lite

I've been going nuts all over picross games lately, too. Conceptis makes the best implementation I've seen.

http://appshopper.com/games/conceptis-pic-a-pix

Seven Little Words is fantastic. Like a crossword puzzle without the grids.

http://appshopper.com/games/7-little-words

Bummey
May 26, 2004

What is with y'all and your weather apps? I can't remember the last time I checked the weather forecast.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Honestly Bummey as a fellow Minnesotan I'm not sure how you're not obsessed with the weather like everyone else is :haw:

Weather forecast for the foreseeable future: it's gonna suck.

:v: don't need no app to tell me that!

For real, though, I don't know why but I've never really cared about the weather. I don't do anything that requires a forecast always on hand.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 17, 2014

Bummey
May 26, 2004

chaosbreather posted:

iCloud Photo Library, new in iOS 8, currently in public beta. Check it out. Enable it in your iCloud settings.

My new 6 Plus won't be here for a few months yet, but does this new cloud poo poo store a duplicate copy of each photo locally like it did previously? I always hated that it was one or the other, have them upload to the cloud and take up double the space on my phone, or no cloud uploads at all.

or maybe there was an I'm a dummy.

e: Derp. Yep, I'm a dummy.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 18, 2014

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Kaizoku posted:

Send me an ICQ, 5112925.

Am I reading this correctly or did someone dose my drink?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

My 6+ finally shipped. :neckbeard: I have a sudden and unexplainable hankering for a weather widget...

edit: Huh. I know I never bought Dark Sky, and it's never been free, but apparently it's owned on my account. Maybe I got it via promo code.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 26, 2014

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Sextro posted:

What's the source on these codes? And Is it likely they're gonna keep popping up regularly/have a chance I'll see one in the next few days. Or should I just buy it?

They've been talking about it all page. It's in the Apple Store app.

Kheldarn posted:

Weird... OH! I think I know. Tap it, and when it shows your nearest store, scroll down. The Camera+ thing should be below that.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

What software did you use to capture this screenshot and get that nice drop shadowed framing?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

DorianGravy posted:

I have two apple IDs. An older one with which I purchased a number of apps, and a newer one. I'd like to just use one with my current email. It seems like I can't merge accounts, but is there a best solution for this? Will I be able to download the older apps with the newer ID without paying again?

You can use apps from many accounts on one device regardless of whatever account you're currently logged in as. Log in to Account A and download apps > log into account B and continue to use app.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

DorianGravy posted:

Ok, this sounds like a fine solution. Thanks Bummey and chaos.

Keep in mind that, since the app licensing is bound up in the files themselves, you will need to re-enter that original login and password whenever those apps need updates. You control both accounts so that shouldn't be a problem.

Sharing apps with friends, on the other hand, will require password trust or personal visits whenever updates need doing.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

wrong thread. thanks awful app!

Bummey fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 30, 2014

Bummey
May 26, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Gun disassembly apps are back in a big way.

Haha, what happened? Awful app put my reply in a completely different thread.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Does Reeder 2 work well on the new devices/ios8? I like the bare bones interface and functionality of the original Reeder but it's crashy as gently caress on ios8/6+ and I'm wondering if I should upgrade to the new one or find a new app. I've tried a few different RSS readers but they all have a lot of dumb interface bullshit like featured stories, giant graphics, and other nonsense things getting in the way of my "list of feeds, list of articles, read articles, move on with my life" familiar routine of Reeder.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Has anyone seen an app that adds a Share Action to upload to imgur?

Speaking of, what's the imgur app of choice? I have the official one but it insta crashes on the new phone and doesn't appear to be on the store anymore so I doubt it will be updated.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Dark Sky told me it was snowing today. I believed it.

It wasn't snowing today.

You people and your weather apps...

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Is there any keyboard with similar functionality to the jailbreak tweak swipe selection? The apple loupe is really tedious for making minor corrections and moving the text cursor around.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Comic Zeal is still the best and new phone support is coming pretty soon. I'm dealing with the gigantic interface for now and it's not a big deal.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Yup

Bummey
May 26, 2004

EconOutlines posted:

Perfect Paths is Starbuck's App of the Week and pretty fun. I'm guessing its US only though.

I snagged APJ, second from the top right. Thanks! (that camera capture is neat)

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Do any of y'all use sleepy time music/ambience apps? What are your favorites? I've been using Pzizz on a speaker dock for a few months now but I tend to fixate on the repeating music modules and it gets a little counter productive.

I don't like straight up white noise / tv static, either.

gently caress sleep. I hate sleeping.

Edit: oh, and bonus points for working on an iPhone 4 running iOS 6.1. I'll get an adapter or new lightning dock some day...

Bummey fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 20, 2014

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Xabi posted:

No one knows? :(

Have you downloaded any photo editing apps lately? Sometimes apps will create their own photo folders.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Is there an app to track all my weather apps?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

PaganGoatPants posted:

TeeVee has completely poo poo the bed. Any alternatives?

https://twitter.com/teeveeapp

They're working on it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Comiczeal can do that, as well as through Dropbox, etc. It's still the best I've found, even though I hate their slider organizer thing.

My ComicZeal can't do Dropbox. Is it only the ipad version?

I love the slide organizer. :(

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

It's a universal app, and it says it can import from Dropbox, iCloud, Google Drive, Airdrop, etc on the store page. Open the file in the Dropbox app, then select "open in" and Comiczeal should be an option.

Mine isn't and doesn't. Maybe I'm using an older, pulled version? It works fine for my needs so I have no reason to buy the new one.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

mentalcontempt posted:

Re: the Outlook app, the screenshot in the App Store shows that a short swipe to the left can be used to archive and a longer swipe can be used to delete. However, I see no way to configure this in the app. Anyone know? Is the screenshot a cruel joke? I hate having to long-press to delete.

This is the feature that keeps me on Mailbox. I won't have it any other way.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Awful app uploads to imgur right in the app.

but it doesn't resize images so poo poo will be loving huge. You've gotta edit your post after the fact and add timg tags, which only changes the display size and still makes the client download the full resolution image. Upit gives you an easy to use resize at the moment of upload.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

eltoozero posted:

Sup Bummey.

Here's the imgur url "tricks".

tldr; throw an m or s before .jpg in the imgur URL to shrink it.

Image thumbnails
There are 6 total thumbnails that an image can be resized to. Each one is accessable by appending a single character suffix to the end of the image id, and before the file extension. The thumbnails are:

Thumbnail Suffix Thumbnail Name Thumbnail Size Keeps Image Proportions
s Small Square 90x90 No
b Big Square 160x160 No
t Small Thumbnail 160x160 Yes
m Medium Thumbnail 320x320 Yes
l Large Thumbnail 640x640 Yes
h Huge Thumbnail 1024x1024 Yes
For example, the image located at http://i.imgur.com/12345.jpg has the Medium Thumbnail located at http://i.imgur.com/12345m.jpg

Yeah people keep pointing this out to me but I can never remember that stuff.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

1Password is great but the mac/pc licenses are like $60. You can sort of get around this on a mac by downloading the trial version. When the trial runs out you won't be able to edit the data but you can still access everything that's there and sync/update/manage it all through the iphone application.

or, you know, buy the license if you feel you need to.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

GeauxSteve posted:

Does anyone have a good app for tracking TV shows that you watch? I'd like something where I can set up all the shows I watch, what episode I'm on, and push notifications when a new episode comes out too.

TeeVee does new episode notifications. And probably more. It goes free every now and the .

http://appshopper.com/entertainment/teevee-2-your-tv-shows-guru

Bummey
May 26, 2004

GeauxSteve posted:

I'll give it a look. Its only got 2 stars though so I'll probably wait until its free again instead of 2.99. Thanks!

After I downloaded it several months ago I it set up to notify me of a bunch of shows I'm interested in but realistically will never get around to watch because I don't have a tv subscription. It pings me several times a week and seems to be working fine, but I don't really use it behind dismissing the notifications. Maybe there's more functionality I don't know about that isn't working well, or something, I don't know.

I do remember it had some problems where it failed to update show data but that was fixed in the last update.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

krampster2 posted:

Saw the recommended podcast apps in the OP, can anyone vouch for any of them? I use "Network" at the moment and it's crap. I don't use mobile broadband so I want something where I can easily download podcasts to listen to outside of home.

Downcast is the current hot poo poo goon favorite. It's quite good.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Right. Overcast. That's what I meant.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

What's everyone's recommendations for a good BluRay/DVD cataloging app? On OSX, Delicious Library looks head and shoulders above the rest. But puzzlingly they don't have a complementary iOS app.

I look in the App Store, and everything I saw ranged from "that looks like total poo poo" to "that looks like it might be ok, but is probably total poo poo."

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/delicious-scanner/id637919291?mt=8

You use the app to scan items into your computer's library but, yeah, there's nothing for managing all of that on your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Is AppShopper finally dead? Alerts work but the content of the app won't update, showing the same lists of week+ outdated information whenever I refresh.