Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

Post extensions you like :)

Noir is great for auto-creating dark mode colour schemes for websites. It very occasionally gets things wrong but on the whole does a great job. And really highlights the missing functionality that extensions don’t work in the in-app Safari views - I get so used to being able to read pages at night in bed, and then forget I’m in-app and half blind myself with a (default) white scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just to use that app as an example, we’ve had the ability to see in app purchases for how long and the listings still look like this.

Like, who knows how much a year of this app costs.

On the plus side, it shows how much they mess around with pricing, and to hold off until a sale if it’s currently $39 in-app.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

It might turn out that you need either an AppleTV, a HomePod, or an iPad designated as a home controller that you leave at home/connected to power in order to control HomeKit stuff when not on your own network. Unless you can interact with the Netatmo features directly from Shortcuts.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Corb3t posted:

iPad homekit as a hub was sunsetted a few iOS updates ago.

Only if you did the "Upgrade to new home architecture" thing (or maybe set up HomeKit after that became a thing so you're automatically on it). I've had the nag around for ages but haven't actually pressed it, and that allowed me to set up my iPad as the hub last week on iPadOS 17. So it's still possible, just with large caveats. (I also now get notifications saying it's unavailable every time I take my iPad out of the house, as I didn't really need this to be a hub, just wanted to see what it could do.)

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Corb3t posted:

It’s no wonder Apple users mostly just turn off notifications altogether. On Android, apps have different notification types and you can choose which you turn on and off. On iOS, apps can implement notifications however they want.

Apple should punish Amazon for stuff like that.

It’s actually against the App Store review guidelines to use push notifications for advertising. But when Apple themselves use them for upselling their own services there’s not a lot of hope for that rule being enforced.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Arivia posted:

Also […] look at a Paperlike screen cover (or an Amazon ripoff, they're pretty much the same thing according to artist friends.) It's like a screen protector, but it adds texture and "tooth" (an art word basically meaning a harder texture that you have to push against, it's a good thing) like real paper would have. The downside is that it makes the iPad harder to navigate solely by touch gesture, so you really only want it if it's a drawing tablet as the overwhelming primary use. Otherwise it'll feel miserable when the kid is flipping around games or something.

tangy yet delightful posted:

She definitely also games on it so I'll keep this in mind for a future upgrade to drawing.

My wife has a Paperlike on her iPad as she uses (/used) it a lot for Procreate. I remember when I first installed it the screen looked a bit fuzzy for general use but the texture is far closer to drawing on paper rather than smudging around on a glass surface. Over time the texture wears down to a middle ground where it’s still grippier, but also has less impact on the picture and touch.

So if you try one, do give it a chance to settle in rather than judging/hating/removing it on day 1.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I'm always dubious of actually using the VPN trick. Gmail is my main email account, and if it got banned I'd be really screwed.

So my options are:
1. Use a VPN to save a bit on YouTube Premium but at the risk of locking myself out of my digital life
2. Pay £13/mo for it legitimately, which is more than any other monthly subscription I have
3. Live with the adverts

.. I revisit this regularly and always end up going with 3. The price to get the same content without adverts feels too high, if it was cheaper I'd just pay it.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

LPG Giant posted:

Couldn’t you do option 1 on a burner youtube account?

They seem to have clamped down on this; I tried it a few months ago but for new accounts they were needing confirmation via a local phone number. And I couldn't find any online service offering phone numbers that it would actually accept.

If anyone knows how this can be done (with experience within the last 6 months or so) I'd be all ears!

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

If you’ve already hit the 200gb threshold, shrinking some videos to drop below it again is only delaying the inevitable. Embrace the 2tb tier.

I say that as someone where iCloud and Prime are the only 2 subscriptions I pay for. The photo library just isn’t worth compromising on.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Corb3t posted:

I always giggle when I see people meticulously close apps from the app switcher in public.

I’m a pretty organized person with digital spaces, but I can’t be bothered to manage those.

It doesn’t need managing

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Is there a way to select some pleasant photos to show up in the photos widget like a happy photo album for yourself? Currently seems to assemble albums with some AI mess to display whenever it wants. Don’t really need some AI mess displaying an “early moments together” with the ex from 2014 or whatever but would like a pleasurable album or two.

You can’t select an album with the built-in Photos app widget, it’s always auto-generated. If you’ve tagged up the face detection it runs in the background (Albums -> People & Pets) you can view a person and from the 3-dot menu select “Feature [ex’s name] less”.

If you really want to manage it yourself Widgetsmith has better options for showing just a single picture or (looks like, I haven’t tried it) specific albums.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I don’t think it would fit

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

not have to manually look for them amidst the hundred articles a day places are being forced to spit out for SEO.

MacRumors has become the worst for this. I'm interested in the high-level news but the amount of spam they push out for clicks makes it a real janitoring job even in an RSS reader.

"People start receiving the devices they pre-ordered", "Upcoming low-end device might depreciate faster than high-end device", how is this news or rumours? :argh:

Anyone have a suggestion for a good, low volume Apple-based news site? Or (as it seems) is everything heading this way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Fly Ricky posted:

I’m taking a ton of pictures and want each one to have a Brightness +10 and Color Saturation +25.

Is there an app or a way in Photos to just make this a setting? Going in there one-by-one is a full-time job.

Depends how many a ton of photos really is..

You’d still have to go into each one (so there might still be a better solution) but there is a “Copy Edits” option in the 3-dot menu once you’re in the editing UI. Once they’re copied you don’t have to go into edit mode, you can just paste the edits from the main 3-dot menu on the photo.

Edit: actually once they’re copied you can apply it to a multi-select from the grid view which is far quicker.

Froist fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 21, 2024