Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
Is Gmail push broken in mail.app now since iOS8? I know you had to link your device before a certain date before, but now it just seems like it's completely busted, despite being on the same device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
Can my phone make phone calls? I need something to do that.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

xzzy posted:

Has the youtube official app performance gone to poo poo lately for anyone, or is it just my 5 starting to show its age?

Most notably rotating from portrait to landscape takes forever and it sometimes freaks out and spews gui elements all over the video after rotating.

Same problem here on my 5, so I'm not sure if it's limited to the 5's performance capabilities or not. Shouldn't be, considering how fast it used to be, and all we're doing is rotating the drat thing.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

teraflame posted:

Is there a plex-like app for photos? I don't use plex for pictures because it doesn't maintain folder structure and can't even organize by them.

You can browse Plex libraries by folder structure if this makes a difference for you. I use it for my photos, and while the features are unbelievably sparse, it's not bad for simple libraries. It lets you organize by album, where you have a photos folder, and in there, there are folders of albums, and it will be smart enough to figure that part out, but beyond that, I don't think it will organize any further.

It might work for you though; it's worth playing around with it for a bit.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

tuyop posted:

Can Overcast import files from my computer? Some podcasts I like aren't available as streams and you have to download and put them on your podcast app. It was working great with the Podcasts app but I've decided to forget getting that to work ever again.

I had the same problem. I just tell iTunes that the mp3s are audiobooks and it...sorta works. Since they merged audiobooks into the iBooks app, it loses quite a few things that worked well when they remained in the music app. Like tracklists, and consistent playback resuming. It's probably the fastest way to get it back, but youll have to deal with seeing the track names as just 'Track 12'. Minor annoyance.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
poo poo, I completely forgot that iOS9 was coming. Thought my phone was supposed to loving tell me.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
I bought sleepCycle the other night and wanted to know from other users if I have to set the alarm every night or if I can just schedule it.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
Why in gently caress does the iBooks app lose track of progress? It can save it fine, take me back 40 minutes, or as much as 4 goddamn hours. Any fix to this?

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Unacknowledged posted:

Why in gently caress does the iBooks app lose track of progress? It can save it fine, take me back 40 minutes, or as much as 4 goddamn hours. Any fix to this?

I think the everlasting Overcast / Downcast discussion pushed this down. Anyone else have this problem?

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
I'm moving away from Evernote and grabbed Scanbot to replace Scannable. Scannable is amazing and works very quickly, and I see that Scanbot has a ton of features and tons of high praise, and will upload to my Google Drive.

What I'm wondering, though, is how to configure it to apply the B/W filters and make it appear like a Scannable's scans instead of just a cropped photograph. Do I need to buy some plugin or something? Am I missing setting? I want it to behave how scannable does, but instead of using Evernote upload to my google drive instead. Anyone who uses this have suggestions?

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
My first gen iPad still streams Plex and YouTube perfectly. I don't use it for much else other than iBooks. I'd like to replace it with a retina iPad mini at some point but I'm in no rush.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

eightysixed posted:

Yea, but you have to use YouTube through Safari, because the app is no longer compatible, right? At least that's the cake for me.

Edit: posting from my new Retina Mini btw :v:

I haven't upgraded my youtube app for a while, mainly because I'm lazy. The native old YouTube iOS app I don't think works anymore, but the official YouTube app I have on here still works just fine. Glad I haven't upgraded if new versions break it.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

maduin posted:

I use Spotify and listen to full albums all the time and have no idea how people find it difficult to do.

Same for me, though I moved back to iTunes this weekend to give my Apple Music free trial a shot. Pretty comparable so far, though the interface in iTunes is loving horrible. A tiny hidden hover-menu to add an album without viewing the whole thing at once, and half the time the context menu hover image is hidden or overlapped by something. Also iTunes will scroll my artists sidebar down about 15% everytime I love an item. Incredibly annoying.

Took some time to match my followed artists and saved music, as well as uploading a few of my own albums that iTunes lacked, which is more than I expected. On the whole, Spotify and iTunes are probably 90% the same in terms of licensed music and artists, but some of the things one or the other are missing are loving weird. iTunes really surprised me with a few obvious things missing that Spotify had, and vice-versa.

Right now, Spotify is a better bet for me because of web accessibility, social features like collaborative playlists, easier to use interface. But, I'm gonna try Apple Music for the 90 days; it has a few really nice things going for it. Siri is massive for me, much easier to upload your own music than on Spotify making it easier for me to have a complete library, and no hard limit that I'm on saved songs. Spotify caps users at 10,000 songs, but you can get around it with playlists, I am not aware of Apple Music limiting anything.

Figured people might be considering alternatives right now, especially with Rdio going under. I used Google Music years and years ago right when it launched and thought it was pretty great that I could store all my music elsewhere, but it took a long, long time to upload everything, and the apps available at the time were terrible. Haven't looked at it since, but I know it's been improved.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

tuyop posted:

Lifehacker had some good guides on using apps for a GTD method last time I checked.

Just ask for their emails. Chances are they don't use an electronic calendar though, people suck.

I also get audiobooks on CDs from the library. Here's my workflow:

1. Import them into iTunes.
2. Correct metadata.
3. Consolidate library.
4. Open in explorer/finder. Open audacity.
5. Import files into audacity.
6. Select all, align tracks end to end, export as MP3.
7. Load into a justcast Dropbox folder. Copy rss link.
8. Listen in Overcast or any podcast app.

You know this could be much, much easier for you.

1. Grab foobar2000
2. Grab the lame.exe
3. Rip CD with foobar
3. Point foobar to Lame when prompted in the converter section (only need to deal with this the first time you do it)
4. Set converter settings to output to a single file

Once you have this setup which takes about 10 minutes, you can just open foobar, rip audio CD, and pick the converter profile you created for this.

edit: added some real instructions and links

Unacknowledged fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 29, 2015

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

tuyop posted:

You could also use VLC's wifi import, or listen in possibly Goodreader the same way, but I think GR doesn't save position in audio files.

Still going to have to correct metadata and combine all the files in audacity since I don't want like eight mp3s. Also I could NEVER get foobar or lame to work correctly on my computers.

Wait what? How's that? You can just set the metadata in foobar before or after you rip it. If you're only going to create 1 file, just dont do any metadata work until its output, throw it in foobar, properties, add your artist, title, album data. Seconds of work, really. Foobar is pretty amazing for this type of stuff.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
I had a few spare minutes at work and setup a portable foobar for you to try it out. Here's the process:

1. Open foobar, go to File > Open Audio CD. Hit the Rip button
2. When you hit the converter section, there should be a single default converter profile that I've setup for you. Use that, it will output all the tracks to a single V0 VBR mp3 (you can change that if you need to).
3. When you get to the stage of ripping it, it will ask where you want to output the file (which you can actually choose in the converter profile if you want to save it to the same place each time).
4. Next, it will ask you (one time only) to point it to the lame.exe file. I've put that exe inside the zip I've provided in: foobar2000/lame/lame.exe, just point it to that file's extracted location (wherever you wanted to keep your foobar installation) when it asks. It will remember it next time.

Now you're done. Most of the setup is done, only requiring a couple of others since setting paths on my machine here would persist to yours and throw up some missing folder errors later. I don't mean to force this on you, but I do think you're putting in a ton more work than you need to for something like this.

Download link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10868783/foobar2000.zip

Virus free, I promise. Just a straight foobar installation with the lame files and the converter profile in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

tuyop posted:

Well, that's pretty awesome. Thanks, I'll give it a go.

What I meant was that each CD gets output as a file, I want the whole book to be a file so I have to combine it in audacity afterward anyway. Whether Foobar is doing the ripping or iTunes (since I use it all the time) seems pretty neutral, but maybe it's a huge difference and I'll see next time I need to rip a book from the library.

Ahh, didn't really realize it was multiple CDs. However, foobar can do the joining for you as well if you setup a new converter profile. You just make a playlist of your full audio CD tracks, however many, then right click > convert, choose your new profile for joining the tracks as one and you're good. I'm 90% sure the existing profile I made on there will work for that as well, so granted, you're encoding to lossy format twice, but with book audio it doesn't really matter. Should be easier than audacity by a long shot.