Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Is the "All Apple apps are free" thing only once per device? I picked up a used 5s, and iMovie still shows up as $5 for me.

Assuming that's the case, is there a better video editing app I should buy, or is iMovie the best choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

POCKET CHOMP posted:

He said it was a used 5s. Meaning someone else presumably activated it for the first time and got access to the apps for free.

Yeah, it definitely seems like this is the case. Can anyone recommend a better video editing app, or should I just pick up iMovie?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

japtor posted:

Can't you do that stuff with Readdle Documents (free)? If you don't need the fancy PDF editing stuff and just want some basic file management it should do the trick.

Ooh, I wasn't aware of this. If it's as pleasant to use as PDF Expert, which they also make, it's definitely worth checking out.

Handy link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/documents-5-fast-pdf-reader/id364901807?mt=8

Aside: How the hell is this free?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

I'm pretty sure the Music app was designed for people who only listen to two or three artists, because once you get beyond that it quickly becomes impossible to find anything quickly.

I kinda figured it was for people who just have a few songs and maybe an album for a ton of artists, because if you have a bunch of albums from one artist, scrolling through them all kinda sucks! Picky is much better.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a nice app for browsing/analyzing steps counted using HealthKit? You can't look at the data very many ways using the built-in Health app.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Xguard86 posted:

which weather app do goons recommend that also includes wind chill or some other similar "real feel" type temperature information?

I am often in places that appear much warmer than they are and I'd like to know that its technically 50 but this icy wind will make it feel 34.

Dark Sky has this right on the main screen.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Kamakaze9 posted:

I haven't tried specifically on this American life but in others it does speed through music.

It depends on the music. If there's enough background tone between the notes, it won't cut out the silences.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

ChetReckless posted:

The original plan was for 12 episodes, but since they are making them as they go along there are no guarantees.

Does anyone else find certain podcasts ending a minute or so early with Overcast? The most recent episode of On The Media had this problem.

I've only noticed this with On The Media.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

~Coxy posted:

Thanks, but are you absolutely sure it can play iTunes synced podcasts because everything in the app description leads me to think that it cannot.

I'm pretty sure the only app allowed to do this is the built-in one.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
They removed references to Photos from the OS X section of the web site recently, so it's probably delayed until later this year. I certainly want them to take their time and get the thing that manages irreplaceable photos right. Yosemite and iOS 8 are the buggiest releases they've had in quite some time.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

TheJoker138 posted:

That clip of Hardcore History using smart speed has just made my thoughts that it sounds terrible even stronger. Like...there's a cadence to Carlin's speech, and those pauses are there for effect, and this just eliminates both of those things.

I find Smart Speed highly useful for many shows, but Hardcore History is one of the podcasts it is not good for. Anything highly produced, really. Bunch of dudes chatting, though? It's great.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

dirtyfrog posted:

Is GoodReader still the go-to app for reading pdf's on an iPad (mini Retina)?

A bunch of goons keep posting that Goodreader does a bunch of crazy poo poo like saving Youtube videos to Dropbox through a bookmarklet, but I'm not sure it's the best PDF reading experience? I haven't tried the most recent revamp, but The Sweet Setup likes PDF Expert for editing, and I find it far better for reading than the older Goodreader versions were, which had a million options I didn't need but were there getting in the way. The same dev also makes a free PDF reading-focused app called Documents, which I imagine has the same background auto syncing and pleasant reading experience that made me prefer PDF Expert.

cbirdsong fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 22, 2015

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

Part of that might be sour grapes toward Dropbox because they declined to be purchased by Apple about 5 years ago (rumor has it)

noirstronaut posted:

A five year grudge? I highly doubt it. I doubt it so highly.

A five year grudge is more of a Steve move.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

Really? I honestly thought the recipes could only do Internet related stuff. I'll definitely have to take a look at it now.

iOS IFTTT has less control over the device than Android, but you can still trigger other recipes based on your location.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

xcore posted:

I've got my parents iPad (I think it's an iPad 2, how the hell can I tell?) and I'm trying to put a TV series on it so they can watch it on their TV (stream it to their Apple TV) and I'm having a hell of a time.

Are there any apps out there that can play .mkv files with AC3 audio? None of them seem to work anymore. I've read around and have seen Fusion Pro mentioned, does anyone have any words to say on that app? I'd prefer something free, but if I have to pay, so be it, I just want to make sure I'm paying for a good App.

If you/they have a Mac (or other computer, I guess) handy, I would just suggest using Plex. If the machine in question can't handle real-time transcoding, convert all your Linux ISOs to .m4v using iFlicks, which tags them properly and puts them in iTunes, and then point Plex at the iTunes video directories - best of both worlds.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

@marcoarment posted:

If buyers want to keep using the app, it’ll probably work for a pretty long time, with the auto-updater getting new trackers periodically.

I guess I'm okay with not getting a refund if it'll probably work until at least iOS 10, but man, you would think he would have thought this through a bit.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

chaosbreather posted:

Get a refund now. The block lists won't be updated so even if the software still works it will be like trying to cure AIDS with penicillin. Buy Purify, it's way faster than peace and does cool layout tricks to even vanish the spot the ad was

The tweet in my post says block lists will continue to be updated. The only thing that will stop it is an iOS update breaking the app. It was three dollars. I'll be okay if it stops working in a year.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know of an app or service where I can put in a bunch of scheduled tasks that need to be done once a month, let me mark something as done to reset that counter, and have an easy view of what tasks haven't been done for the longest time?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
In-app browsers that use Safari view controller also automatically use content blockers and the same pool of cookied logins, which is very convenient for the user.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

killa-pope posted:

Posted in the Watch app too, but does anybody know of something with a watch app that will give me a reminders list and syncs with iOS reminders? I'm using Fantastical 2, and while I love it on the phone the watch app is horrible. To-doist seems to be able to do this with IFTTT, but is prefer native syncing.

2do can log into iCloud and has a watch app, though I can't vouch for its quality.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

eightysixed posted:

2Do rules, but yea, it's pretty complex. For groceries, though, use 'OurGroceries.' It will sync across devices, so if your wife or whatever adds something it pops up on your app as well. A blessing and a curse all in one :v:

The good thing about using Reminders for groceries is that once you name a list "Groceries" you can tell Siri "add <item> to the grocery list."

cbirdsong fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 8, 2015

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm having an odd iCloud Drive issue. Well, technically my boss is the one with the problem. I'm getting him set up with PDF Expert on his iPad Air and using iCloud to transfer thing between his PC (using the iCloud.com page) and his iPad which is how I go about it. So I got PDF Expert installed, enabled iCloud, got some test files from his e-mail into PDF Expert's iCloud folder and everything works except the PDF Expert folder is not showing up on the web page. A quick check on his iPhone shows that the files are in the cloud and working properly (quick annotations). I can also upload things on his PC and they show up instantly on both his devices but app folders are simply not showing up on the web site. I tried installing a few different apps I know use iCloud and it's the same deal. They can all see and browse the iCloud Drive, upload and download fine, but the web site it just not displaying any of it.

I'm having a hell of a time finding out where the hiccup is happening and going through the same steps on my iPad/iCloud everything shows up and works as I want it to so I have no idea what's going on.

Is there a reason you aren't just using Dropbox?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

decypher posted:

What's the best flight tracker for when traveling?

The Sweet Setup has an article about flight trackers: http://thesweetsetup.com/apps/best-flight-tracker-iphone/

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

TraderStav posted:

I recently came back to Apple after a decent departure and am seeing that Appshopper has turned into some kind of lovely mess? What is the current new hotness to keep a wishlist of apps and have them provide a notification when they go on sale?

Unless I've been unknowingly missing alerts, I haven't had any issues with Appshopper. What's a mess about it?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I guess I really only use the web site with email alerts. The app might be terrible, and I wouldn't know.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Baconroll posted:

I'm after an iOS app for geofencing that when triggered will either send an email or possibly create/touch a file on something like dropbox or google drive.

What I'm really trying to do is use geofencing with home automation, but all the iOS apps expect the home automation system to be visible on the internet and then they make a http call to it when triggered. I'm not going to make my home automation public facing so I've played with OpenVPN as a workaround to make this more secure but the VPN isn't active when the iphone screen is off so its not a workable option.

If the iphone would send an email or touch a file then I could monitor that on the server side and trigger events as needed.

I've seen one Android app 'EgiGeoZone Geofence' that can send an email but I've drawn a blank for iOS.

I use IFTTT for this. You can make a recipe triggered on entering an iOS location, and then create a text file in Dropbox. It's a little flaky but mostly works.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Airmail has been updated with iPad support. It's great.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Use a better podcast app. Overcast is free.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

tuyop posted:

No. You'll have to buy a license for every device you own. It'll take years to recoup that cost. It's the opposite of "worth it" since they have nearly identical functionality.

1Password has a subscription plan now as 1Password for Families, for what it's worth. You get access to all the apps. Not sure how the pricing compares to LastPass.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
What do you mean by 'cross-platform'?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

wooger posted:

Yes, there is no way I'm ever paying for apps via this new subscription pricing BS. I want a one off, perpetual license for software that I pay for, and no recurring fees.

A certain amount of work is required every year to keep an app updated for new OS and hardware releases, and to stay really good huge chunks of the app are going to have to be rethought and redesigned as the OS and its ecosystem change. How many years of support and updates does $5 paid for Overcast in 2014 entitle you to?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Listen to short podcasts, like:

• 99% Invisible
  • Reply All
  • Lore
  • The Memory Palace
  • Monster in My Podcast
  • Robot or Not?
  • Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I've been using Libib for that, which has worked generally pretty well, but I'm not blown away by it.

https://appsto.re/us/4h3bR.i

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
A good site for info about various categories of app is The Sweet Setup. http://thesweetsetup.com/

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Taxes posted:

Is there an app for epubs that works easily with Calibre and keeps all of the metadata and stuff? Marvin used to be perfect, but I think the developers gave up on it after it stopped working with iOS 8.3.

Where do you want to store them?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I think you might want to look at Calibre's "polish" option, if I'm remembering correctly? It takes the metadata changes from Calibre's library file and writes them to the individual book files.

If that doesn't work you might consider my way of just keeping Calibre as the master archive on a single computer, and just export the epubs to Dropbox or whatever as the library you actually read out of? I've ended up using iBooks/iCloud Drive to store mine, since then I can just export from Calibre on the Mac into iBooks on the Mac, and then my reading positions are also available on the Mac. If you don't want to use iCloud Drive, you probably want to look at Hyphen: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hyphen-ebook-reader-for-epub/id1024204679?mt=8&at=11l7ja&ct=tss

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

El Grillo posted:

Just setting my dad up with a smartphone (iPhone 6) for the first time. I think there was a little tutorial app notification that came up but we had to restart the phone to deal with annoying verification issues. Anyone know if there's a way to get back to that tutorial app - or if there is any kind of thing like this he can go to, to introduce him to basic phone functions?

That notification was probably from the Tips app.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Apps can actually support asking for iCloud keychain items, but almost no apps do.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

I loved Google Music when I had my Android phones, but now that I have an iPhone and use Apple CarPlay so drat much, I'm stuck with Apple Music. I hope they open up Carplay to more third apps (lolololol right)

There's not really anything stopping Google Play Music from supporting Carplay right now. They just haven't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
PDF Expert can sync folders with cloud services and possibly dumber servers like FTP.